Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The title race: Call it

Read 44657 times
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #230: Feb 17, 2019 12:41:58 pm
      Given that we have been so poor for most of this season compered to how well we played Last season...

Which are those "most" games where we were so poor, if I may ask?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #231: Feb 17, 2019 12:46:21 pm
      Quote from The Real Donavan Ried
      Wasn't aware that was what I was saying... I fact I implying the opposite of that... What I was saying is that unless we start playing every match in the style we played Bournemouth and win every game (and the one draw) City will win the Title...

I wouldn't read very much into the Bournemouth performance long term. For a side like us, they are easy to play against and score against, and what happened on the day was no surprise. We play the next 4 Sundays before the next break, then the run in starts after that. We're not going to face pushovers every week, so demanding similar performances every week is a tough ask.

We don't have to win the league to have a successful season. City have to be seen to win the league, or else they will be seen to have failed. Most of the past 10 years, we have to fight for a top 4 spot by now, sometimes we haven't even had that to play for. We're in a fantastic position now and we should enjoy this title race. It's not like 2009 when we were racing against a rival with a permanent game in hand, sometimes two. It's not 2014, where we were racing against another rival with a game in hand, usually two. This race is on a much more level playing field. If we do enough to win it great, if we fall short, it's not the end of the world. We're not expected to win it, and it's not something to hammer Klopp for. Without him, we would be struggling to finish top 6 again.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #232: Feb 17, 2019 01:29:27 pm
      Yeah Supporting... Not mindlessly following

What’s the issue you have currently with the team & Klopp?
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #233: Feb 17, 2019 03:50:11 pm
      Which are those "most" games where we were so poor, if I may ask?
      Brighton on both occasions, Everton, Huddersfield,West Ham away to Red Star Belgrade, Wolves in the Cup
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #234: Feb 17, 2019 03:53:53 pm
      What’s the issue you have currently with the team & Klopp?
      I have no issue with the team or Klopp
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #235: Feb 17, 2019 03:56:15 pm
      Bollocks.

Like your little plus pal, you just look sh*t up on wiki then try to pretend you knew it all along.

xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Kopite78
      Reply #236: Feb 17, 2019 04:15:53 pm
      Brighton on both occasions, Everton, Huddersfield,West Ham away to Red Star Belgrade, Wolves in the Cup

To be honest I can't really be bothered so not going to bother with your other reply.. I started, it was mainly tedious so I left it.

But out of interest I guess you expect every game that anyone plays to be a 10 out of 10 easy don't break sweat type of affair?
      Because of those games you mentioned in the league we won 4 and drew 1
      But you aren't  happy because they don't stand up to your standards of how to win a game?
      You can't steamroller everyone through a long season, we never did when we won leagues before.
      City didn't last season and haven't this season. So the games where they haven't played well and only won by the odd goal, they are crap too? Let alone the 4 they have lost this season

Football is a game of two sides, often an inferior one will try to frustrate the better side.. that's what Brighton, Huddersfield and Everton did
      Know what the better sides and league winners or challengers do? They find a way to win them and we won all of those

Honestly you're a wrong un you
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #237: Feb 17, 2019 04:22:17 pm

Something is the issue this season I guess?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #238: Feb 17, 2019 04:39:32 pm
      Must be a slow day that people are trying to reason with Reid, the most unbearable troll here yet.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #239: Feb 17, 2019 06:23:03 pm

Fantastic definition for "most"  ;D Buddy, seriously, go get some air and clear your mind!

Dont even get me started on the Cup games. City have a luxury called 'squad depth' which we are progressively building cos we wont stump up 140 mil in one window for 3 full backs.. nobody except them does that! We were average to poor in the 3 CL away games, and the knock-on effect of the PSG game showed vs Ev. But FFS, we didnt give up until the LAST second and so guess what, we won that!

And you just think Brighton would roll over for you? Look into the stats..they beat United once, drew Arse, lost by 1 goal margin to United again, Spurs, Chelsea & us, and by 2 goals to City at the Etihad. What does that mean, you numb! It means they keep it compact, try to be rock solid and snatch a draw.. cos they dont play to win these games. Its the other set they worry about and try to be much more open in those games.

Hold on.. there is no reasoning with you! Just a waste of time..

To be honest I can't really be bothered so not going to bother with your other reply.. I started, it was mainly tedious so I left it.

Exactly!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #240: Feb 17, 2019 06:36:43 pm

But out of interest I guess you expect every game that anyone plays to be a 10 out of 10 easy don't break sweat type of affair?
      Because of those games you mentioned in the league we won 4 and drew 1
      But you aren't  happy because they don't stand up to your standards of how to win a game?
      You can't steamroller everyone through a long season, we never did when we won leagues before.
      City didn't last season and haven't this season. So the games where they haven't played well and only won by the odd goal, they are crap too? Let alone the 4 they have lost this season

Football is a game of two sides, often an inferior one will try to frustrate the better side.. that's what Brighton, Huddersfield and Everton did
      Know what the better sides and league winners or challengers do? They find a way to win them and we won all of those

Honestly you're a wrong un you

You can play well and win

You can play well and lose

You can play poorly and win

You can play poorly and lose

Win lose or draw I just want us to play Well... It is as simple as that
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #241: Feb 17, 2019 06:47:42 pm

We’ve had fewer nail biting games this season and also a few less “blitzkrieg” performances where we’ve blown the oppo away.

Those things are connected - we aren’t over-committing and attempting to overwhelm opponents the way we did.

That means we can sit on a lead and play our way in. Or sit at 0-0 confident that eventually a breakthrough will come.

Unfortunately the amount of football on telly breeds the kind of reading of games you’re displaying here.

Fans lose sight of the fact there are two teams on the pitch trying to do things.

It’s not a TV series - “Ach season 3 was great with the Russians but o didn’t like season 4 when the bad guys were the Yakuza”.

We generally - at full strength or close to - don’t give the oppo a chance they don’t have. We did last season and it hurt us.

Our football this season is significantly advanced on last season - it just isn’t “Hail Mary” anymore.

Part of the reason it was so exhilarating last season was that it was - at times - allowing us to over-achieve.

We just achieve now. Week in week out.

I love it.
      « Last Edit: Feb 17, 2019 06:54:07 pm by Scotia »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #242: Feb 17, 2019 06:48:15 pm
      Must be a slow day that people are trying to reason with Reid, the most unbearable troll here yet.
      Is that's all your good for, calling people you disagree with Trolls...??

You never seem to post someone you disagree with anything other than insults....
      Could do the same but I chose not too, I have more respect for myself than to allow myself to sink that low

So  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Kopite78
      Reply #243: Feb 17, 2019 06:51:31 pm

You want to play "well" and finish 4th 5th or 6th? Or you want to play like champions and do whatever is needed to win the league

I want to win the league
      Frankly I don't give a F**k how we win it

City didn't win the league playing well in every game

Utd didn't in the past

Arsenal didn't in the past

We didn't in the 70s and 80s

No team play "well" for 9 months and if you think they do you're dillusional
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #244: Feb 17, 2019 07:02:17 pm
      We’ve had fewer nail biting games this season and also a few less “blitzkrieg” performances where we’ve blown the oppo away.

Those things are connected - we aren’t over-committing and attempting to overwhelm opponents the way we did.

That means we can sit on a lead and play our way in. Or sit at 0-0 confident that eventually a breakthrough will come.

Unfortunately the amount of football on telly breeds the kind of reading of games you’re displaying here.

Fans lose sight of the fact there are two teams on the pitch trying to do things.

We generally - at full strength or close to - don’t give the oppo a chance they don’t have. We did last season and it hurt us.

Our football this season is significantly advanced on last season - it just isn’t “Hail Mary” anymore.

Part of the reason it was so exhilarating last season was that it was - at times - allowing us to over-achieve.

We just achieve now. Week in week out.

I love it.
      I understand what you are saying, but in someways I feel that when; as you put it we "sit" we lose impetus in our attacking play, things a slowed down so much that defenders have that chance to reset themselves and we don't get the best out of Firmino and Salah. It seems funny how we have all agreed that Bobby as look a shadow of his self all season until that Bournemouth game where we moved thing quicker

Since last season we have improved our defense and midfield so for me. we should play in the style and manner we played last season and blow teams away, or at very least mix the two styles

anyway time will tell
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #245: Feb 17, 2019 07:16:31 pm
      I thought it was accepted Bobby is playing a different role this season and he is part of a team joint top of the league with a game in hand. If anyone ever listens to JĂźrgen about him it should be enough for people to understand just how influential he is for us.
      City are a fantastic team and play good football but guess what so are we.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #246: Feb 18, 2019 01:57:59 pm
      I thought it was accepted Bobby is playing a different role this season and he is part of a team joint top of the league with a game in hand. If anyone ever listens to JĂźrgen about him it should be enough for people to understand just how influential he is for us.
      City are a fantastic team and play good football but guess what so are we.

Klopp himself has said as much mate, but as usual, those trying to stir the sh*t ignore his words in favour of pursuing their agenda.

It's all a bit pathetic.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #247: Feb 18, 2019 02:20:52 pm
      You know what lads, I think we can do it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #248: Feb 18, 2019 03:28:55 pm

No team plays "well" every game though. Even the best, and we are the F***ing best, have their off-days. There's a game against Coventry, for example, that me arl fella always bangs on about where they twatted us 4-0. Terry Gibson got a hat-trick for them. Having just looked that game up, it was the 83-84 season. We won the treble that year!

The odd bad game here and there is expected over a full season. But given that we've got our own fate in our own hands with 12 games to go, it shows that our number of "bad games" is far fewer than most.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #249: Feb 18, 2019 03:52:57 pm
      We have lost 1 in 26 have a bit of confidence in JĂźrgen and the Boys its game on and the lads are up for it.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #250: Feb 18, 2019 08:59:04 pm
      I sound like Kevin the teenager when I talk about the title race

Man F***ing city have distorted the game In England

If we do win it - it will be our greatest ever title
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,838 posts | 701 
      Reply #251: Feb 19, 2019 01:18:59 am
      Quote from dunlop liddell shankly
      No team plays "well" every game though. Even the best, and we are the F***ing best, have their off-days. There's a game against Coventry, for example, that me arl fella always bangs on about where they twatted us 4-0. Terry Gibson got a hat-trick for them. Having just looked that game up, it was the 83-84 season. We won the treble that year!

It was December 83, and there was still a bit of work to do to retain the title. 1 down inside a minute after Grob got another dose of the butterfingers and 3 down at the break, Joe wasn't very happy at half time and read the players the riot act, but whatever he said didn't work. We won the home game 5-0 when we were closing in on the treble. Nobody talks about that result though.

We haven't won the league in an odd number year since 1983, and it's 1990 since the title came home. We won 7-1 at Coventry the following week to round off the season in style. There was no indication at the time that we would be waiting as long as we have to win it back. Then Souness ripped the heart out of the side, flogging great players to anyone who would take them. By the time the EPL started away to Forest 2 years later, the team was a sad caricature of itself, taking 3 points from the first 3 games which set the scene for the season to come. The results back then were more Hodgson than Klopp, and it's a blessing in disguise there was no message boards back then. Every one of them would have crashed such was the relentless negativity surrounding the club on a weekly basis. We got a Christmas "present" of a 1-5 loss at Coventry with a red card thrown in. Down there they still regard it as their greatest day since 1987. Up here, naturally we drifted behind our rivals on and off the pitch and we've been playing catch up ever since. Writing us off after 1 loss this season and joint top of the league with a game in hand (as Souness and other people are doing atm) is the life of Reilly by comparison.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #252: Feb 19, 2019 06:51:54 am

While it is  always nice to get 3 points by playing good football most supporters will not give a sh*te as long as we get the 3 points.

Quick Reply