Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The title race: Call it

Read 44613 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #23: Feb 07, 2019 05:44:42 pm
      For me I've never been on the Solskjaer bang wagon and still want Poch. However, you simply can't take any credit away from what he's done so far. He's lifted the town/country/world of United fans.  ;D

And yes most definitely bounce is wearing off hence me never having the faith of so many United fans. I was quite astounded to see a recent poll (( I'm sure there're many )) saying over 60% want him to take the managers job long term.

As for the match? I honestly don't know. Speaking to my fellow scouse friends their bricking it now so that's a good thing isn't it.  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D  Have to say as a neutral it's one of the best Premierleague battles I've ever watched.  It's looking like it's going all the way to the wire though.

City had a nightmare December where you lads took full advantage and was looking the better team then.  Once again I see the tide turn and City now have the momentum.

They way it stands I think your squad is simply the problem, it's impossible to compete with City. Your good enough to win the league but no quality on bench that can live with City's. The further you go in the CL will have a negative effect in the league for me.

I don't envy Klopps positioning as its a catch 22 for him!! CL or Premier League. You can't do both with the limited squad in my honest opinion.

Still, loving watching it all unfold as a football fan anyway.  :)

Ps. What's your thoughts on visiting us?

Visiting you ?, bit like a trip to the inlaws
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #24: Feb 07, 2019 05:57:29 pm

Well youre our neighbors.  ;D ;D ;D
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #25: Feb 07, 2019 06:07:26 pm

It's o.k but also a bit hypocritical.They/media generate these headlines stories as much as the fans react.the 4 stories "that you may also like"on that page are sensational clickbait headlines,Klopp,meltdown etc.Then they can do another story about liverpool fans over reacting then other fans can react to that.Meanwhile the ad money keeps rolling in.Anyway we're gonna win the league!
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #26: Feb 07, 2019 08:27:36 pm

Nah, more like a trip to the outlaws!  :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #27: Feb 07, 2019 09:13:07 pm
      Nah, more like a trip to the outlaws!  :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #28: Feb 07, 2019 09:25:40 pm
      City have more games to play on their schedule than us.

Just got to keep our noses in front as the games wind down..... starting at Bournemouth.

We'll do it .....with 96 points.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #29: Feb 07, 2019 09:51:56 pm
      Gini,Hendo and Trent all back for Saturday BRING IT ON
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #30: Feb 07, 2019 10:02:56 pm
      City have more games to play on their schedule than us.

Just got to keep our noses in front as the games wind down..... starting at Bournemouth.

We'll do it .....with 96 points.

Made no difference recently though did it? Went to F***ing Dubai and came back looking sh*te.

Need to get back to basics on Saturday
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #31: Feb 07, 2019 10:26:31 pm
      Made no difference recently though did it? Went to f**king Dubai and came back looking sh*te.

Injuries not Dubai are the problem bro..
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #32: Feb 07, 2019 10:44:51 pm

My mate sent me this this morning. It’s a cracking article that sums up modern day football perfectly, particularly in reference to Spurs this season who haveapparently been in crisis 4-5 times already and yet they’re right in the thick of the title race.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #33: Feb 07, 2019 10:51:00 pm
      As for whether we will do it. Hand on heart I don’t think so. I just feel we needed to kick on these past two games and press the advantage home but now we’re back in the pack and no real sign of dealing with the injury problems that have beset the squad over the last month. To do it you need your whole squad to contribute but I’ve been so dissapointed with the likes of Studge, Keita, Matip, Lallana and more recently Shaqiri. The lack of depth is costing us right now.
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2019 06:45:47 am by Scottbot »
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #34: Feb 07, 2019 10:57:33 pm
      Aye it's a squad game and when the first XI is Pissing games at ease you get suckered in to thinking that the likes of Sturridge, Lallana, Origi, Matip will help out if needed and the squads not too bad.

It is however still quite bad. Theres work to be done this Summer getting these lads new clubs no matter what we do this season.

We should be able to bring players off the bench who can change games. The forward areas are especially short on that front. In many ways we have been fortunate the front 3 have remained injury free so far.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #35: Feb 07, 2019 11:47:24 pm
      With apologies to Thomas Paine:

“THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the support of their club; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Big Oil Money, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as Winning The League should not be highly rated”

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Feb 08, 2019 08:26:40 am
      For me I've never been on the Solskjaer bang wagon and still want Poch. However, you simply can't take any credit away from what he's done so far. He's lifted the town/country/world of United fans.  ;D

And yes most definitely bounce is wearing off hence me never having the faith of so many United fans. I was quite astounded to see a recent poll (( I'm sure there're many )) saying over 60% want him to take the managers job long term.

As for the match? I honestly don't know. Speaking to my fellow scouse friends their bricking it now so that's a good thing isn't it.  :f_tongueincheek:  ;D  Have to say as a neutral it's one of the best Premierleague battles I've ever watched.  It's looking like it's going all the way to the wire though.

City had a nightmare December where you lads took full advantage and was looking the better team then.  Once again I see the tide turn and City now have the momentum.

They way it stands I think your squad is simply the problem, it's impossible to compete with City. Your good enough to win the league but no quality on bench that can live with City's. The further you go in the CL will have a negative effect in the league for me.

I don't envy Klopps positioning as its a catch 22 for him!! CL or Premier League. You can't do both with the limited squad in my honest opinion.

Still, loving watching it all unfold as a football fan anyway.  :)

Ps. What's your thoughts on visiting us?

I was referring more to the upcoming match between us Keith and what you thought of that? I am nervous as hell about that one as your lads are in form whilst we are stuttering a bit but I think we can get a result if our forwards are on form and if we can get a semi decent defence assembled in time, it will certainly be more interesting than some of the recent Maureen neg games. I can see there being quite a few goals in that game but with your lot attacking us it should open you up quite a bit to the counter and I'm still not convinced about your defence.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #37: Feb 08, 2019 08:28:31 am
      Made no difference recently though did it? Went to f**king Dubai and came back looking sh*te.

Yeah we lost some momentum there, sometimes its good to have a break sometimes not, BUT I do think Citeh's amount of extra games will catch up with them eventually, especially if they progress far in CL as I think their focus will turn to that more than the league.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #38: Feb 08, 2019 08:42:07 am
      City are favourites but if w learn to relax and play it just like it was the start of the season again. Need the high intensity press and the ball moving more quicker forward. The fans play an important role too let anfield be rocking from minute one till 90.Not going quiet or sighing when passes go astray cos its getting to the players. Keep the positivity and the singing going. Need Anfield like a european night and imtimadate the away team
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Feb 08, 2019 08:50:48 am
      City are favourites but if w learn to relax and play it just like it was the start of the season again. Need the high intensity press and the ball moving more quicker forward. The fans play an important role too let anfield be rocking from minute one till 90.Not going quiet or sighing when passes go astray cos its getting to the players. Keep the positivity and the singing going. Need Anfield like a european night and imtimadate the away team

We can do it but we need to be more flexible with regard to tactics, so when we are a bit weaker defensively then we need to be more aggressive in attack, like last season, or if we lose a forward then we need to switch to 2 up front and instead pack the midfield with runners, liek Keita and Shaq.
      We don't have the squad to swap like for like (except maybe in midfield) so we need to be a bit clever and not just stick to one system.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #40: Feb 08, 2019 09:28:04 am
      I see us losing to United, beating Spurs and a draw with the Chavs.

The rest fucks knows.

I get the Newcastle / Man U feeling all those years ago.

I just hope we don't come up short.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #41: Feb 08, 2019 09:34:49 am
      Impossible to call. I also don't go along with Old Trafford being the key game.

We could win there and lose to someone else. They could win there and lose away to Palace or somewhere like that.

Lets just win Saturday and put ourselves back top.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42: Feb 08, 2019 10:34:51 am
      I was referring more to the upcoming match between us Keith and what you thought of that? I am nervous as hell about that one as your lads are in form whilst we are stuttering a bit but I think we can get a result if our forwards are on form and if we can get a semi decent defence assembled in time, it will certainly be more interesting than some of the recent Maureen neg games. I can see there being quite a few goals in that game but with your lot attacking us it should open you up quite a bit to the counter and I'm still not convinced about your defence.

I really don't know, very difficult to call this one like I say. There certainly won't be any buses on duty though.  ;D With you lads little out of form could play into our favour. In be just guessing if I was to try and read this game.

Main thing is just to win though, if that happens there could be major meltdown  :f_whistle:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #43: Feb 08, 2019 10:58:58 am
      Quote from fields of anny rd
      Aye it's a squad game and when the first XI is Pissing games at ease you get suckered in to thinking that the likes of Sturridge, Lallana, Origi, Matip will help out if needed and the squads not too bad.

It is however still quite bad. Theres work to be done this Summer getting these lads new clubs no matter what we do this season.

We should be able to bring players off the bench who can change games. The forward areas are especially short on that front. In many ways we have been fortunate the front 3 have remained injury free so far.

v Chelsea: Studge comes on. 1-1
      v Everton: Origi comes on. 1-0
      v mancs: Shaq comes on. 3-1.

3 forward subs in 3 games who turned 2 points into 7, and a top 4 spot into a title challenge. I'm sure there is more.

Last week, before Leicester, the word was that we had it in the bag, and how many points did we need. 2 draws since then, and everything's crap. One extreme to the other.

City have lost 4 games already. They could end up losing 6 by May. Who wins a league with 6 defeats nowadays? Nobody has retained the league in 10 years, no matter how good their subs bench is. You win games on grass, not a subs bench.

Atm, it's in our hands, not anyone else's.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #44: Feb 08, 2019 01:09:26 pm
      v Chelsea: Studge comes on. 1-1
      v Everton: Origi comes on. 1-0
      v mancs: Shaq comes on. 3-1.

3 forward subs in 3 games who turned 2 points into 7, and a top 4 spot into a title challenge. I'm sure there is more.

Last week, before Leicester, the word was that we had it in the bag, and how many points did we need. 2 draws since then, and everything's crap. One extreme to the other.

City have lost 4 games already. They could end up losing 6 by May. Who wins a league with 6 defeats nowadays? Nobody has retained the league in 10 years, no matter how good their subs bench is. You win games on grass, not a subs bench.

Atm, it's in our hands, not anyone else's.

Absolute small fry in terms of what you want from your bench. How many games has Sturridge come on now without scoring? I believe he's on his longest run of games without a goal in his career. That Origi goal was a pure fluke as well, and since it has proven since in his little playing time and by the fact Klopp doesn't play him unless Firmino has an absolute shocker that he's not up to it.

There's a reason this club fights for 1 trophy every 1 season and that's because it's squad leaves it with no option other than to put it's eggs in the most appealing basket.

You do a little points tally of extra points earnt off the bench and then go on to say the bench doesn't matter. Baffling.

Also take into account that our bench players of the beginning of the season are now are in the starting XI at this stage of the season and we're suddenly dropping points I believe the point of squad depth simply cannot be ignored.

Like I said if any of the front lads get injured or knackered then we will drop a lot more points with Sturridge and Origi to fall back on.

It needs an overhaul.
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2019 01:14:43 pm by fields of anny rd »
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #45: Feb 08, 2019 01:40:19 pm
      Sturridge and Origi should both be flogged in the summer.

Sign a striker and I believe Harry Wilson can also have a big impact next year.

Quick Reply