Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The title race: Call it

Read 44619 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #69: Feb 09, 2019 09:07:23 am
      Are we not on course to our highest EVER points tally?

Should we fall short, and keep going the way we're going we'll probably finish as the team with the highest ever points not to win the league.

Will it be disappointing if we don't manage to do it? Of course it will, it'll hurt like f**k.

But, remember we're competing against a financially doped team in Man City and doing f**king fantastic.

You can't win every game and of course every team will have a blip. Hopefully after the last few games that's ours over and done with.

Stick your negative sh*te up your arse and enjoy the ride, I for one am loving it.

Bang on son!
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #70: Feb 09, 2019 09:51:55 am
      Far too many? We drew 5 games all season, 3 of which against City, Chelsea and Arsenal. How is that far too many?

Against West Ham we were toothless and was luck to come away with a point,Leicester failed to hold on to the lead and never really threatened there after...

Our problem for the last 10+ years is we struggle against the minnows of this league while other top teams blow usually blow them away.

Looking on the quality on City's bench vs what we have on our City looks far more likely to win the remainder of there games then we do
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #71: Feb 09, 2019 10:04:18 am
      On present form I agree. However,  I'm sure December is still in your thoughts. If that happens again you'll win the league

What mythical present form is this Keith? - capitulation against a very poor Newcastle team?

They’ve beaten a piss poor Arsenal and squeezed by a shitehawk side that seemed happy to lose.

We’ve been flat and drawn 2 games - hardly a disaster.

That’s it.

You’re buying into a media narrative that we’re “faltering”.

Total bollocks.

To paraphrase the widely misquoted Mark Twain  “reports of our death have been widely exaggerated”......

We’re in the driving seat and the redmen are coming on.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #72: Feb 09, 2019 10:11:47 am
      OR Citeh have lost games where we got a draw and a point, hence we are level with one game in hand, see glass half full rather than empty, seriously dude you really need to change your outlook on life it is way too negative!
      No saying you are But you are sounding like a Brexiteer instead of looking at the cold hard reality of this you and a  lot of supporter here believe that if you say it long and hard enough it will become true, and those who look at the real position we are in,Injuries, how we are playing etc are spouting "Project Fear"

I like any other Liverpool supporter want number 19th and if we get it it would be a very hard fought Title win especially were we are team wise, but with all things considered It's not looking good

Now I believe we will beat Bournemouth today, am I sure about the other fixtures, well Maybe Cardiff and Huddersfield to the others...? I am not sure, and City with there five loses are (providing we win the game in hand) 3 points adrift

It's ours to lose
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #73: Feb 09, 2019 10:28:31 am
      Against West Ham we were toothless and was luck to come away with a point,Leicester failed to hold on to the lead and never really threatened there after...

Our problem for the last 10+ years is we struggle against the minnows of this league while other top teams blow usually blow them away.

Looking on the quality on City's bench vs what we have on our City looks far more likely to win the remainder of there games then we do

What utter bollocks, we have beaten every team outside the top 6 until Leicester and West Ham, Leicester was a weird game where the conditions really didn't help plus they played really well and West Ham had one of their good performances whilst we were missing 4 key players, remember that West Ham is a team which beat Chelsea, Manure and Arsenal at home so they are not exactly a minnow!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #74: Feb 09, 2019 10:37:58 am
      No saying you are But you are sounding like a Brexiteer instead of looking at the cold hard reality of this you and a  lot of supporter here believe that if you say it long and hard enough it will become true, and those who look at the real position we are in,Injuries, how we are playing etc are spouting "Project Fear"

I like any other Liverpool supporter want number 19th and if we get it it would be a very hard fought Title win especially were we are team wise, but with all things considered It's not looking good

Now I believe we will beat Bournemouth today, am I sure about the other fixtures, well Maybe Cardiff and Huddersfield to the others...? I am not sure, and City with there five loses are (providing we win the game in hand) 3 points adrift

It's ours to lose

I was as disappointed as anyone else with the 2 draws but on reflection they really aren't that bad or catastrophic. Firstly both those teams are capable of playing very good football and both did in those matches, that's just a bit of bad luck for us really, secondly against Leicester the conditions fu**ed us up more that it did them, against West Ham it was a poor game from us, no arguments there, but we were a much weakened and disjointed team through injuries, having to start Lallana for example and having Milner as FB.

I am confident that with Trent, Gini and Hendo back in the team today we will see the real team back and have a thumping win, if not then I'll jump on the neg train with you!!!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #75: Feb 09, 2019 12:54:38 pm
      What utter bollocks, we have beaten every team outside the top 6 until Leicester and West Ham, Leicester was a weird game where the conditions really didn't help plus they played really well and West Ham had one of their good performances whilst we were missing 4 key players, remember that West Ham is a team which beat Chelsea, Manure and Arsenal at home so they are not exactly a minnow!
      Then remind me; how did we manage to beat Everton...? and hwo convincing were we against Brighton on both occasions..? Huddersfield Town..?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #76: Feb 09, 2019 01:30:12 pm
      Then remind me; how did we manage to beat Everton...? and hwo convincing were we against Brighton on both occasions..? Huddersfield Town..?

Everton was a poor game and we got lucky with that goal but in all of them we were fully in control of the games and just struggled to score enough goals.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #77: Feb 10, 2019 09:19:21 am
      What mythical present form is this Keith? - capitulation against a very poor Newcastle team?

They’ve beaten a piss poor Arsenal and squeezed by a shitehawk side that seemed happy to lose.

That’s it.

Total bollocks.

To paraphrase the widely misquoted Mark Twain  “reports of our death have been widely exaggerated”......

I'm merely stating City are playing well again after a disaster December were you guys turned on the style and took a nice lead. That lead has been clawed back a little now and had the momentum till you lads won yesterday. Certainly not saying you had a disaster Scotia.

I never ever, ever buy into the media, that's for morons who listen and take on board the bullshit they write. Not knocking Liverpool mate
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #78: Feb 10, 2019 09:25:41 am

That’s it.

Total bollocks.

If City beat Chelsea and we fail to beat United then it's not going to be good for the title race. United look very strong right now and I'm not expecting much more than a point at old toilet. Klopp saying he doesn't need favours from Chelsea is arrogant at this stage. Had we won this two games you saw we were flat in, we could afford a loss but now we can't. In a way it's urgency to avoid a disaster. We are already out two cups and we don't want to put ourselves out the title race. A couple of weeks of results that don't go our way and we will be, since we lost our safety net. Hoping Chelsea can get something today incase we can't defeat United.
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2019 09:31:42 am by Ribapuru »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #79: Feb 10, 2019 09:35:28 am
      If City beat Chelsea and we fail to beat United then it's not going to be good for the title race. United look very strong right now and I'm not expecting much more than a point at old toilet. Klopp saying he doesn't need favours from Chelsea is arrogant at this stage. Had we won this two games you saw we were flat in, we could afford a loss but now we can't. In a way it's urgency to avoid a disaster. We are already out two cups and we don't want to put ourselves out the title race. A couple of weeks of results that don't go our way and we will be, since we lost our safety net.

Deal with actuality Ribs not conjecture.

We’re in a wonderful position - 3 points clear and nothing much in the goal difference.

Our points total is exceptional - our best since 1987-88 (and only a point off that) which is our best ever.

The rest is how you feel about it.......if, if, if.....NOT the reality.

IF we’d won those games or IF we’d beat City or whatever means absolutely zero.

What we do is what matters and we’re doing great.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #80: Feb 10, 2019 09:42:01 am
      Deal with actuality Ribs not conjecture.

We’re in a wonderful position - 3 points clear and nothing much in the goal difference.

Our points total is exceptional - our best since 1987-88 (and only a point off that) which is our best ever.

The rest is how you feel about it.......if, if, if.....NOT the reality.

IF we’d won those games or IF we’d beat City or whatever means absolutely zero.

What we do is what matters and we’re doing great.
      I know I mentioned if a lot, but the  Chelsea v City game is massive for us. If Chelsea win that City lose some moral and points, otherwise it will be a rampant City. We can do great and still not win the league thanks to City, we need to be excellent. It's thanks to City getting away with overspending.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #81: Feb 10, 2019 09:47:30 am
      I know I mentioned if a lot, but the  Chelsea v City game is massive for us. If Chelsea win that City lose some moral and points, otherwise it will be a rampant City. We can do great and still not win the league thanks to City, we need to be excellent. It's thanks to City getting away with overspending.

Chill. It won’t be won or lost in a week ;)

In that 87-88 season we drew 3 in a row and 4 in 6 in Nov / Dec - can you imagine this place or the media now if that happened?

Won the title by 9pts and lost only 2 games all season.......
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #82: Feb 10, 2019 09:56:34 am

In that 87-88 season we drew 3 in a row and 4 in 6 in Nov / Dec - can you imagine this place or the media now if that happened?

can't remember it I'd just have been just getting out of nappies at that time. Probably why winning the league is important to me, I've no real memory of it happening.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #83: Feb 10, 2019 10:08:11 am
      can't remember it I'd just have been just getting out of nappies at that time. Probably why winning the league is important to me, I've no real memory of it happening.

Yeah I think it is harder in some ways for your generation and younger.

There’s a desire to remove the uncertainty immediately and canter across the line. My youngest is up and down like a yo-yo at the moment.

Unfortunately - even in our peak years - it rarely happened like that.

We’re in front. Our job is just to keep believing, performing and as a consequence picking up points.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #84: Feb 10, 2019 11:56:22 am
      Quote from Scotia

It's difficult to reel off the 87/88 results to his generation, as it means nothing to them. I can because I experienced it, but even I can't remember the so called blip in November and December, because there was no media coverage in comparison to the 24/7 diet of it today. Not only that, but when you win the title, all the bad days are soon forgotten.

Because of Guardiola, draws are apparantly the new "defeats", so anytime we draw, even when we extend our lead as we did from 2 to 3 and 4 to 5 points, there's mass panic and chaos.

I don't think we'll win next time out, not because we're not good enough, but it's the last time we go there without VAR protection, and no doubt we'll get done by some crappy decision as happens every year. That doesn't mean the season is over. This time last year the title race was over, and despite every pundit calling it for our rivals, we are 12 games from the biggest achievement this club has had since Istanbul.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #85: Feb 10, 2019 12:15:21 pm

I think we have wind in our sails again now Ribs so even if Manure beat us it won't knock us that much, we have shown yesterday that we can play full throttle heavy metal gegenpress football again, it was such an important match and result, far more important than what happens in the match later today.
      BTW I fancy Chelsea to get a result today and hope that Leicester can as well.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #86: Feb 10, 2019 12:27:48 pm
      Win our games, we win the League. It doesn't get any simpler than that.
      rossyred

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #87: Feb 10, 2019 04:23:20 pm
      Can see only Utd taking points off City teams are beat before they play them in a lot of cases
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #88: Feb 10, 2019 04:35:18 pm
      I think we have wind in our sails again now Ribs so even if Manure beat us it won't knock us that much, we have shown yesterday that we can play full throttle heavy metal gegenpress football again, it was such an important match and result, far more important than what happens in the match later today.
      BTW I fancy Chelsea to get a result today and hope that Leicester can as well.
      Your predictions went well. City willnot drop anymore points. I can't see to who. United will roll over for them. Spurs battered but still ek out win thanks to son ffs
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #89: Feb 10, 2019 05:43:37 pm
      We have to win our matches cos everyone is beat before they even play city. I fancied Chelsea strongly today with citys third game in 7days but they have gifted city the goals. Like United will roll over to them too. But on other hand we got Everton n united away who will do abs anything to beat us. Even spurs pissed me off today lucky cu*ts.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #90: Feb 10, 2019 05:58:26 pm
      Phew!!! That was a statement.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #91: Feb 10, 2019 06:08:15 pm

Yep - nothing shouts louder that Chelsea are in crisis than a 6-0 pumping 2 weeks after losing 4-0 to Bournemouth.

Don’t let City in your head mate.

I learned really early on when I boxed not to let what the other guy did when he’s not fighting you affect you.

They don’t hurt us by beating a sh*t Chelsea. Not even on goal difference because that only counts if points are level.

S’all good.

Quick Reply