Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The title race: Call it

Read 44589 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #115: Feb 11, 2019 12:57:59 pm
      The match against Manure is absolutely huge, if we can at least get a draw out of that one then I think we will be back in pole position as I fancy us to beat Spurs and Chelsea at home. The bitters could be tricky but they really are sh*te at the moment so we have to be winning that one. Our other games are all winnable if we play well.
      Remember that Citeh have to go to both Bournemouth and Palace away which are never easy grounds plus they also have Manure away, which despite all the bullshit will be a hugely competitive game and is one they tend to lose, if memory serves.

I also think that Citeh will become distracted by the Champions League so I hope they progress to the final of that and then lose to us ;-)

Yeah as long as we get something from the Utd game I think we will be fine.
      Another factor with City that can not be ignored is they are stil in the two Cups and CL, anc fatigue towards the end of the season can not be ruled out.

In fact a good kicking on the cow patch on the weekend for City would be a good start.

I also think we will see more agressive pressing from our us, I think Klopp has purposely been holding back so we have enough fuel in the tank for the run in.

Do I think we can do it of course, do I expect us to win it in a two horse race No.
      Bit stupid to expect to win in a 50:50 race!
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #116: Feb 11, 2019 02:17:23 pm
      Hopefully City get caught up in the log jam of so many games in so many tournaments. Problem with that is they have 2 top standard players for every position plus change and also that is a lovely position for them to be in and something to be strived for.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #117: Feb 11, 2019 02:38:09 pm
      The match against Manure is absolutely huge, if we can at least get a draw out of that one then I think we will be back in pole position as I fancy us to beat Spurs and Chelsea at home. The bitters could be tricky but they really are sh*te at the moment so we have to be winning that one. Our other games are all winnable if we play well.
      Remember that Citeh have to go to both Bournemouth and Palace away which are never easy grounds plus they also have Manure away, which despite all the bullshit will be a hugely competitive game and is one they tend to lose, if memory serves.

I also think that Citeh will become distracted by the Champions League so I hope they progress to the final of that and then lose to us ;-)

I disagree, at least for the upcoming round where they get to play Shalke, currently sitting 14th in the Bundesliga. It really could not get any easier for them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #118: Feb 11, 2019 02:48:10 pm
      Quote from CT_LFC
      I disagree, at least for the upcoming round where they get to play Shalke, currently sitting 14th in the Bundesliga. It really could not get any easier for them.

I think facing Schalke is a step up from facing Palace and Newcastle, but we'll see soon enough.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #119: Feb 11, 2019 02:49:11 pm
      We MUST win all our games to become champions.

No we mustn't.

11 wins and a draw and we still win the League.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #120: Feb 11, 2019 02:55:06 pm
      City's results don't matter as long as we win.

Do our job, the League is ours.

City can win their remaining 11 games 100 nil. We can scrape our way to 11 1-0 wins, each coming from an own goal by the opposition keeper and then struggle to a goalless draw with Wolves on the final day and guess what, we still win the League.

Wondering where and when they may drop points is pointless (if you pardon the pun) because it's in our hands, not theirs. It's Liverpool's to lose. The only team who can stop us now is us. I reiterate, if we do our job then we win the League regardless of how City get on between now and the end of the season.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #121: Feb 11, 2019 02:57:00 pm
      I think facing Schalke is a step up from facing Palace and Newcastle, but we'll see soon enough.

Possibly, but City are deep up front so they can rotate and not have much drop in quality while resting key players for the league. With Shalke also being less than 10 points from relegation i imagine their focus is on the league and not the CL so i think overall it's a very easy draw for City that should not command much of their attention. That will certainly change next round but it gives them until early April to not have to really focus on CL.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #122: Feb 11, 2019 02:58:24 pm
      Every game is a cup final now we must be ruthless.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #123: Feb 11, 2019 03:09:20 pm
      If the comments on this tweet are to be believed and our record after mid season warm weather camps of late are that bad then this is a little bit of a concern for me.

I'm on the ale on a train with an in and out signal so can't really check

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/1094973831217930245?s=19
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #124: Feb 11, 2019 03:09:33 pm
      Quote from CT_LFC
      Possibly, but City are deep up front so they can rotate and not have much drop in quality while resting key players for the league. With Shalke also being less than 10 points from relegation i imagine their focus is on the league and not the CL so i think overall it's a very easy draw for City that should not command much of their attention. That will certainly change next round but it gives them until early April to not have to really focus on CL.

Gelsenkirchen is a tough intimidating place to go, and German sides are no mugs. They struggled to deal with Hoffenheim this season.

City should have enough to win in the end, but their records against supposedly weaker sides this year, means they can't take it for granted beforehand.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #125: Feb 11, 2019 03:38:50 pm
      Yeah as long as we get something from the Utd game I think we will be fine.
      Another factor with City that can not be ignored is they are stil in the two Cups and CL, anc fatigue towards the end of the season can not be ruled out.

In fact a good kicking on the cow patch on the weekend for City would be a good start.

I also think we will see more agressive pressing from our us, I think Klopp has purposely been holding back so we have enough fuel in the tank for the run in.

Do I think we can do it of course, do I expect us to win it in a two horse race No.
      Bit stupid to expect to win in a 50:50 race!

Said Klopp was holding them back a few months ago,let’s hope we go at every team now like we did last season and last Saturday against Bournemouth. Hassling and harrying the life out of every opponent now 😊
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #126: Feb 11, 2019 04:12:55 pm
      Man City is much much better than us. Their squad depth is frightening. They can replace one of their starters by Silva (x2) and Sane ! We have Shaqiri, Sturridge and Lallana...

We're the underdogs, unfortunately Klopp did not do what it takes to put us in a more comfortable position when we could have easily.

Yes I blame him, he's the manager.  Everyone makes mistakes but make 2 consecutive and same mistakes when you're challenging for something, you only have yourself to blame.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #127: Feb 11, 2019 04:40:28 pm
      Man City is much much better than us. Their squad depth is frightening. They can replace one of their starters by Silva (x2) and Sane ! We have Shaqiri, Sturridge and Lallana...

We're the underdogs, unfortunately Klopp did not do what it takes to put us in a more comfortable position when we could have easily.

Yes I blame him, he's the manager.  Everyone makes mistakes but make 2 consecutive and same mistakes when you're challenging for something, you only have yourself to blame.

Think the fact that we're level with a game in hand on a team that most everyone accepts is exceptionally strong says a lot about the job Jürgen has done.
      And the title race and the CL aren't over yet, we're still in there fighting for both :)
      Kopite78
      Reply #128: Feb 11, 2019 04:42:22 pm

Who put us in the position to challenge?
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #129: Feb 11, 2019 04:54:25 pm

Given how the standings are 70% into the season not sure how you can say they are "much much better" than us. They are, however, very deep up front which certainly gives them an advantage. If one of our front 3 struggles or is fatigued, we don't have a like-for-like replacement to come off the bench. They do.

And who knows wtf you mean by saying "Klopp did not do what it takes to put is in a more comfortable position". We played Leicester in horrid conditions that unfortunately ended in a draw and its not his fault that outside of maybe Mane, everyone had an atrocious game at West Ham. Their tying goal went 2 feet from Alisson who got caught leaning the wrong way but we played so poorly that even a draw feels like a point gained. Maybe that's Klopp's fault to you, but it was the same team who got us to this point and for some reason did not show up that day.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #130: Feb 11, 2019 04:55:50 pm
      Looking at some posts in here it seems some are struggling to enjoy this scrap we’re having , I’m loving it we’re Goin head to head with one of the dearest squads ever assembled , and were still there punching it out , enjoy it fellow reds we’ve been wanting to be in a scrap for the title for a long time ,
      Bring it all on as long as they all give their best that will be fine with me , let them loose Jürgen . Reds on the March .
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #131: Feb 11, 2019 06:51:07 pm

Wow, you are a real ball of fun, Jeez can't you just enjoy where we are and the rollercoaster ride to come. Never mind about the half glass full analogy, yours must be completely empty with a hole in the bottom.
      C'mon fella just enjoy it.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #132: Feb 11, 2019 07:04:01 pm
      Given how the standings are 70% into the season not sure how you can say they are "much much better" than us. They are, however, very deep up front which certainly gives them an advantage. If one of our front 3 struggles or is fatigued, we don't have a like-for-like replacement to come off the bench. They do.

And who knows wtf you mean by saying "Klopp did not do what it takes to put is in a more comfortable position". We played Leicester in horrid conditions that unfortunately ended in a draw and its not his fault that outside of maybe Mane, everyone had an atrocious game at West Ham. Their tying goal went 2 feet from Alisson who got caught leaning the wrong way but we played so poorly that even a draw feels like a point gained. Maybe that's Klopp's fault to you, but it was the same team who got us to this point and for some reason did not show up that day.

The main difference is the squad
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #133: Feb 11, 2019 07:20:24 pm
      United away is huge. Go there and get the 3 points coupled with a big performance and it could propel us on with the momentum for the rest of the season. Even a draw there and we are still bang in it.

The margin of error now really is small. Despite what the media believe though, City could yet drop more points. They’ve lost 4 times this season.

Souness annyoyed me yesterday saying “Liverpool have got to win every game now to win the league” - well in fact Greame, no we don’t. We can still afford to draw a game and still win the league on the other hand City can win every game 6-0 and still not win it so I don’t really get what he’s trying to say there.

Make no mistake, we are capable of going on a winning run and if we find our form at just the right time then nobody can stop us but ourselves. Up the Reds 🔴
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #134: Feb 11, 2019 08:19:09 pm
      Man City is much much better than us.

Which is why the title is in our hands and not theirs is it? They need us to slip up, we don't need anything of the sort from them.

Their squad depth is frightening.

They've spent like a gazillion quid so they should have a squad that good. However, despite having a squad depth is "frightening" they are still relying on us slipping up - whereas we're not relying on them making yet another cock up.

They can replace one of their starters by Silva (x2) and Sane ! We have Shaqiri, Sturridge and Lallana...

The same Shaqiri who won us the game against United to help us putting the League in our own hands with 12 games to go or the same Sturridge who scored arguably our goal of the season to earn a point against Chelsea to help us putting the League in our own hands with 12 games to go?

Why, when it's in our hands? Do our job and we win the League. Plain and F***ing simple.

unfortunately Klopp did not do what it takes to put us in a more comfortable position when we could have easily.

What could be more comfortable than knowing if you win your games, you win the League. City know they can win every game from now until the end of the season and still fail to be champions. We don't have such feelings. We know if we win every game from now until the end of the season then we are guaranteed to be champions. That's quite a comfortable position for us to be in.

Blame him for what? Putting the League in our hands with 12 games remaining?

Do you, by your own logic, blame Guardiola for making the same mistakes against Palace and Leicester in consecutive games?

Honestly lad, your post was total bollocks.
      +11
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #135: Feb 11, 2019 09:08:42 pm
      1947..!!

Blimey Billy you have seen it all then....!

I have seen the highs and lows like winning the league,European cups and getting relegated to the old second division and winning the 2nd division with our master manager Mr William Shankly. Winning the F.A.Cup for the first time in 1965.One of my most painful memories was listening to the 1950 Cup final against Arsenal on the radio (no tele those days) and the bas**rds beating us 2-0.I so want us to win the league this year it is long overdue for a club of Liverpool's standing.That 1950 cup final was the one which saw Bob Paisley get dropped after scoring against Everton in the semi Final.Most supporters at the time reckoned if Bob had played the result would of been different.
      « Last Edit: Feb 12, 2019 01:08:51 am by Billy1 »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #136: Feb 11, 2019 09:21:41 pm

Not your best work fella.

Not anybody’s best work truth be told.

First sentence is bollocks - look at the table.

Second sentence utterly invalidates everything thereafter.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #137: Feb 11, 2019 09:25:20 pm
      If my memory is not playing games I seem to recall us winning the old first division title on the last match of the season in 1947.So irrespective of what City do they better not try and claim the league title till we have kicked the last ball of the season. :kop5cf8koxp6: I have very fond memories of 1947 as it was the first year my Dad took me to Anfield.

was it in black and white Bill.
      I think some on here are going to find it difficult to get through FEB but I think we turned a corner on Saturday because that is the performance we have been missing for a while now. The squad is almost back to full strength and well rested perfectly poised to have a real go now

Quick Reply