Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The title race: Call it

Read 44601 times
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #138: Feb 11, 2019 09:38:47 pm
      Well we can still do it. City are favs and it be tough to win but we got a fighting chance. I can see us getting a draw at united if we got the win even better. Hopefully keep the squad fresh I cant believe there away to the sun again ;D. No more injuries please
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #139: Feb 11, 2019 09:51:24 pm
      Which is why the title is in our hands and not theirs is it? They need us to slip up, we don't need anything of the sort from them.

They've spent like a gazillion quid so they should have a squad that good. However, despite having a squad depth is "frightening" they are still relying on us slipping up - whereas we're not relying on them making yet another cock up.

The same Shaqiri who won us the game against United to help us putting the League in our own hands with 12 games to go or the same Sturridge who scored arguably our goal of the season to earn a point against Chelsea to help us putting the League in our own hands with 12 games to go?

Why, when it's in our hands? Do our job and we win the League. Plain and f**king simple.

What could be more comfortable than knowing if you win your games, you win the League. City know they can win every game from now until the end of the season and still fail to be champions. We don't have such feelings. We know if we win every game from now until the end of the season then we are guaranteed to be champions. That's quite a comfortable position for us to be in.

Blame him for what? Putting the League in our hands with 12 games remaining?

Do you, by your own logic, blame Guardiola for making the same mistakes against Palace and Leicester in consecutive games?

Honestly lad, your post was total bollocks.

Been looking through a lot of threads lately but couldn't seem to find you DLS.

Here's where you've been hiding, dishing out your words of wisdom.

Always knew what to say haha.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #140: Feb 11, 2019 10:59:58 pm
      Quote from RedScouseLaz
      Go there and get the 3 points coupled with a big performance and it could propel us on with the momentum for the rest of the season. Even a draw there and we are still bang in it.

The margin of error now really is small. Despite what the media believe though, City could yet drop more points. They’ve lost 4 times this season.

Souness annyoyed me yesterday saying “Liverpool have got to win every game now to win the league” - well in fact Greame, no we don’t. We can still afford to draw a game and still win the league on the other hand City can win every game 6-0 and still not win it so I don’t really get what he’s trying to say there.

Make no mistake, we are capable of going on a winning run and if we find our form at just the right time then nobody can stop us but ourselves. Up the Reds 🔴

We know what he's saying, what every other pundit has said since before Day 1. "City have the league won, and nobody else should show up and upset them".

It's easy to get caught up in the hype about them, and obviously he has. It's not long ago since they told us how many points they would win it by, and the race would be officially over by February. The reality is they're not as good as they were last year, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

This is how Real Madrid fans felt when watching Barcelona dominate all those years. The depressing reality that most teams give up against City before ko and lie down as soon as the game starts. The key to taking points off City is to not lose the plot early on. If you can stay in the game, preferably until half time, you stand a good chance of getting a good result. It sounds obvious, but they try to kill games in the first 20 minutes, and when they're 4 up by then, you may as well do what the pundits suggest and just go home. We got the same treatment last year, after Moss did what Moss does and got himself in the headlines again. Every other time against them, we've shown we're more than capable of being a match for City, despite who is on their bench.

It's still in our hands, but there's too many games left to expect to win them all. Then again, we don't have to, and I don't think they'll win all their games either. It will be like the games themselves between the sides. Ding ding, rollercoaster football at the very highest level. As fans this is what we want, and everyone should enjoy it. We don't have to look too far down the road to find clubs with their season over already.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #141: Feb 11, 2019 11:03:40 pm
      I would happily have us get thrashed by Bayern in the CL if it meant that we had more productive time to focus on the league.
      I would happily have city got deep in the CL and even win the thing if it meant they were so spread out in terms of their focus.
      All I want is for us to remain competitive and push this battle for the league title till the very last moment.
      To not to be overwhelmed, be nervous, to not enjoy this challenge because if we do that, which ever team wins the title will truly deserve it.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #142: Feb 12, 2019 06:12:55 am
      I have seen the highs and lows like winning the league,European cups and getting relegated to the old second division and winning the 2nd division with our master manager Mr William Shankly. Winning the F.A.Cup for the first time in 1965.One of my most painful memories was listening to the 1950 Cup final against Arsenal on the radio (no tele those days) and the bas**rds beating us 2-0.I so want us to win the league this year it is long overdue for a club of Liverpool's standing.That 1950 cup final was the one which saw Bob Paisley get dropped after scoring against Everton in the semi Final.Most supporters at the time reckoned if Bob had played the result would of been different.

I have added a piece about the late great Bob Paisley.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #143: Feb 12, 2019 08:53:20 am
      If the comments on this tweet are to be believed and our record after mid season warm weather camps of late are that bad then this is a little bit of a concern for me.

It also indicates that it is going to be snowing next week in Liverpool.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #144: Feb 12, 2019 09:46:43 am
      We’re going win, simple.. no if’s or but’s..

City have to go in every game under pressure to perform & that pressure will cause a crack.. just wait till the CL starts..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #145: Feb 12, 2019 10:23:58 am
      I would happily have us get thrashed by Bayern in the CL if it meant that we had more productive time to focus on the league.
      I would happily have city got deep in the CL and even win the thing if it meant they were so spread out in terms of their focus.
      All I want is for us to remain competitive and push this battle for the league title till the very last moment.
      To not to be overwhelmed, be nervous, to not enjoy this challenge because if we do that, which ever team wins the title will truly deserve it.

I hear what you are saying but I think a bit of a run in the CL for us will keep us sharp and focussed, I also think that the CL will cause Citeh to lose some focus as they will be more focussed on winning that for the first time than the league again.

I am absolutely certain that Citeh will drop more points than us in the league run-in and Spurs's luck cannot hold much longer, they are by far the luckiest team in the league right now!
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #146: Feb 12, 2019 11:13:45 am
      The Bournemouth showed what we are capable of when we play the type of football we did last season... some here calm that it is a more defensive style that Klopp wanted us to play that we are where are now with a goal tally similar to last season and less goal score against us... That would be true "If" we had the same players we had last season We now have VVD, and Allison in the back line. We control the game more and have more possession, but were we have lost out in a big way is in attack...

We now build up so slow that it effects the way players like Firmino and Salah play... What was noticeable about the Bournemouth game was the speed of billed up similar to last season, and how we moved the ball allowing us to open up their defense.

Yes it was Bournemouth, a team which everyone not being a Bournemouth supporter knew we would win, but if we play in the style the rest of the season that we did against Bournemouth  we will be hard pressed to drop points the rest of this season, but not dropping points may not be enough. Said it here before; City have the bit between their teeth and we need Utd and Spurs to do use a real favor, or we do it for ourselves (My preferred choice) and win every game going forward til the end of the season...
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #147: Feb 13, 2019 08:39:56 am
      Quote from lester76

We sweated blood last season to get back into that tournament now. Sorry I'm not willing to throw that hard won place away just to concentrate on the league. Putting all our eggs in one basket has not worked at this club for the past 20 years. It didn't work in 2009, it didn't work in 2014, it won't work now. We need a trophy, anything right now, just to experience what it's like to be winners again.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #148: Feb 13, 2019 09:20:08 am
      but if we play in the style the rest of the season that we did against Bournemouth  we will be hard pressed to drop points the rest of this season, but not dropping points may not be enough.
      Eerrrmmm...... yes it will!  If we don't drop any points the rest of the season, we're champions!!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #149: Feb 13, 2019 09:32:26 am
      Man City is much much better than us. Their squad depth is frightening. They can replace one of their starters by Silva (x2) and Sane ! We have Shaqiri, Sturridge and Lallana...

We're the underdogs, unfortunately Klopp did not do what it takes to put us in a more comfortable position when we could have easily.

Yes I blame him, he's the manager.  Everyone makes mistakes but make 2 consecutive and same mistakes when you're challenging for something, you only have yourself to blame.

You sir are a clown!

26 league games with only 1 loss and a total of 65 points is nothing short of outstanding.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #150: Feb 13, 2019 10:00:43 am
      12 games to go. 11 wins, 1 draw

Do that, and there is nothing City can do.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #151: Feb 13, 2019 10:29:49 am
      Eerrrmmm...... yes it will!  If we don't drop any points the rest of the season, we're champions!!
      True "IF" we win ever game but my point here was win plus drawing the odd games here and there may not do it for us, we need to win ever game
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #152: Feb 13, 2019 10:31:04 am
      Now the buisness end of the season is upon us I can’t but help feel that we are going to step it up a level or two..

We really look primed for the assault on both fronts...
      Kopite78
      Reply #153: Feb 13, 2019 10:31:39 am
      True "IF" we win ever game but my point here was win plus drawing the odd game may not do it for us, we need to win ever game

That's assuming city don't drop any more which I'd very much doubt they won't
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #154: Feb 13, 2019 10:34:56 am
      Now the buisness end of the season is upon us I can’t but help feel that we are going to step it up a level or two..

We really look primed for the assault on both fronts...

Hope that is so, but still injuries are a major concern... The next couple of weeks a crucial for us on and off the field
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #155: Feb 13, 2019 10:38:40 am
      Hope that is so, but still injuries are a major concern... The next couple of weeks a crucial for us on and off the field

I think and hope we've had our injury crises now, these 10 day breaks are an absolute god send in terms of fitness and freshenss for the players plus giving the injured players more time to get back.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #156: Feb 13, 2019 10:49:57 am
      That's assuming city don't drop any more which I'd very much doubt they won't
      With the way they dealt with Chelsea the other night can you really envisage they not winning their remaining games..?
      I can't put six pass Chelsea and was not really try after the fourth when in. City could have made it 8 goals plus if they had really tried....
      Said here before that City is a team with the bit between their teeth... They believe the title is their's, and that they "will" win ever game to prove that...

That Belief will either see them lift the Title, or I am hopping will be their downfall, but I believe City will Be Champions again this season...

Klopp has done wonders considering how average our bench is. That is were we will need to strengthen if we want to challenge for the title next season
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #157: Feb 13, 2019 10:50:55 am
      I think and hope we've had our injury crises now, these 10 day breaks are an absolute god send in terms of fitness and freshenss for the players plus giving the injured players more time to get back.

couldn't agree more
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #158: Feb 13, 2019 10:54:28 am
      You sir are a clown!

26 league games with only 1 loss and a total of 65 points is nothing short of outstanding.

correct, this is our best league return points wise for ages, maybe even the best I cant honestly remember.

Press guys on LFCTV, were saying the top 3 could end up all breaking records this season for most points gained.

We could get 90 points and still lose the league, that is not failure it would be an amazing return, more points than any of the 18 title winning seasons.

Its just a very competitive league.

I still think we can do it, but its gonna be tough.
      Kopite78
      Reply #159: Feb 13, 2019 11:00:11 am
      With the way they dealt with Chelsea the other night can you really envisage they not winning their remaining games..?

Yes
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #160: Feb 13, 2019 11:19:40 am
      Can't see anyone beating City maybe united can take a point of them that's if they can be bothered trying

Quick Reply