Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The title race: Call it

Read 44631 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #207: Feb 16, 2019 11:27:47 am
      we need to win at old Trafford to get rid of all doubt - an average side that are over confident should play into our hands
      My only nagging doubt is the last two times we went there and battered them 4-1 & 3-0 we finished second
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #208: Feb 16, 2019 12:26:46 pm
      City may not lose to anyone else but i do think they will beat themselves and therefore drop points, they atm are still fighting on 4 fronts albeit soon reduced to 3, nevertheless for them to keep that mentality of winning will eventually take its toll,
      CL midweek games are upon us once again and City are under increasingly immense pressure to deliver what they believe would be 'the next stage' of their development,  that is a distraction that could ultimately cost them,
      Despite their sqaud being the strongest quality wise its the mental part that will prove  their downfall,
      As the CL progresses (assuming they get passed Shaktar) as will the rise in pressure , the same level of pressure of  the League , as we have seen with City before they don't handle being under intense pressure that well,
      It could be argued we are under similar pressure however, we are not fighting on 3/4 fronts and are NOT expected to deliver as much as City are, so in essence  we are under less pressure,  also i believe we are better equipped having been to two major European finals recently, so that level of pressure we can handle, another factor is City basically ran away with last season's title with virtually no pressure from anyone else breathing down their necks, this season its totally different.

Other positives we can take going forward is key players returning from injury,  Trent for example,  Ox in the periphery,  Gomez a few weeks yet, Lovren , Brewster again making excellent progress,
      I strongly believe that we have come through our mini dip in form and we seen against B'mouth a increase in tempo that suits our philosophy perfectly .

I think we will go on another unbeaten run, we might endure a bump on the road or two but as we were leading up to Crimbo we proved a very difficult team to beat, home or away,  i think we will be the same only this time we'll go to our gegenpress style and be virtually unstoppable.

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #209: Feb 16, 2019 01:01:53 pm
      City may not lose to anyone else but i do think they will beat themselves and therefore drop points, they atm are still fighting on 4 fronts albeit soon reduced to 3, nevertheless for them to keep that mentality of winning will eventually take its toll,
      CL midweek games are upon us once again and City are under increasingly immense pressure to deliver what they believe would be 'the next stage' of their development,  that is a distraction that could ultimately cost them,
      Despite their sqaud being the strongest quality wise its the mental part that will prove  their downfall,
      As the CL progresses (assuming they get passed Shaktar) as will the rise in pressure , the same level of pressure of  the League , as we have seen with City before they don't handle being under intense pressure that well,
      It could be argued we are under similar pressure however, we are not fighting on 3/4 fronts and are NOT expected to deliver as much as City are, so in essence  we are under less pressure,  also i believe we are better equipped having been to two major European finals recently, so that level of pressure we can handle, another factor is City basically ran away with last season's title with virtually no pressure from anyone else breathing down their necks, this season its totally different.

Other positives we can take going forward is key players returning from injury,  Trent for example,  Ox in the periphery,  Gomez a few weeks yet, Lovren , Brewster again making excellent progress,
      I strongly believe that we have come through our mini dip in form and we seen against B'mouth a increase in tempo that suits our philosophy perfectly .

I think we will go on another unbeaten run, we might endure a bump on the road or two but as we were leading up to Crimbo we proved a very difficult team to beat, home or away,  i think we will be the same only this time we'll go to our gegenpress style and be virtually unstoppable.

YNWA

100% agree, I simply cannot understand the pessimism from some when in effect Citeh have only gained 1 point on us since we played them, plus we now have players coming back from injury.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #210: Feb 16, 2019 03:06:38 pm
      ⬆️ ⬆️ ⬆️

What a load of sh*te that is
      Really...? Do tell how
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #211: Feb 16, 2019 03:18:38 pm

Can I ask you something, are you genuinely astonished at our current league position and the fact that we are level on points with Citeh with a game in hand? I mean according to you City is a far superior team to us so how do you explain the anomaly of the current league table?
      I just cannot understand the pessimistic outlook you have. City are a team who have lost to Palace, Leicester, Chelsea and Newcastle so far, we have only lost one match all season to City away, and even in that game we probably should have won or at least drawn! Sure we had 2 disappointing draws against Leciester and West Ham but on reflection they may prove to be 2 valuable points, after that we battered Bournemouth a team which had just beaten Chelsea 4-0 which kind of puts City's achievement into perspective!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #212: Feb 16, 2019 04:54:07 pm
      Can I ask you something, are you genuinely astonished at our current league position and the fact that we are level on points with Citeh with a game in hand? I mean according to you City is a far superior team to us so how do you explain the anomaly of the current league table?
      "I am genuinely astonished at our current league position and the fact that we are level on points with Citeh with a game in hand?"... If I am being honest I have to say Yes... Given that we have been so poor for most of this season compered to how well we played Last season...
                                                      Yes we have a better Goal Keep, CB, and better med-filed, but that spark has gone from our attacking player... Build up from mid field as been slow, almost laboured, and that has taken away from Firmino style of play, his ability to receive the ball quickly, see the move and execute it before the defender can react, a big part of his game is how quickly he sees thing and how quickly he reacts, Salah and Mane reaps the benefits of his quick thinking...

Also in hoping for more possession of the ball we have slowed the game down to much and allow defenders to reorganize themselves therefor make it harder to score... We did not need the shift in Emphasis regarding the way we play. We replaced and upgraded the Goal Keeper (Allison), and CB (VVD), bought in a better midfielder (Fabinho) that could defend as well as attack, Keita was bought with last years style of play in mind and is now been asked to play a more conservative style of play, is it any wonder that he has struggled most of the season under that style and he gets praise for the Bournemouth game when we play  in a style similar to last season and his game picks up...?

I just cannot understand the pessimistic outlook you have. City are a team who have lost to Palace, Leicester, Chelsea and Newcastle so far, we have only lost one match all season to City away, and even in that game we probably should have won or at least drawn! Sure we had 2 disappointing draws against Leciester and West Ham but on reflection they may prove to be 2 valuable points, after that we battered Bournemouth a team which had just beaten Chelsea 4-0 which kind of puts City's achievement into perspective!

Chelsea have always been the sort of team that if they want rid of a manager they lay down tools. and there as been some discord there for sometime so no the lost to Bournemouth did not surprise me, City destruction of Chelsea did because there was no hint at the time of Chelsea downing tools that day...

Unlike what most think here I am not a pessimistic person, nor am I overly optimistic like some here, if anything  pragmatic describes me better, being positive or negative will have nothing to do with how the title race turns out 

EDIT:- Lets see what style of football we play over the next two premier league games, Thats how we will know if number 19 is ours at the end of the season or not
      « Last Edit: Feb 16, 2019 04:58:18 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      Kopite78
      Reply #213: Feb 16, 2019 05:26:52 pm
      "I am genuinely astonished at our current league position and the fact that we are level on points with Citeh with a game in hand?"... If I am being honest I have to say Yes... Given that we have been so poor for most of this season compered to how well we played Last season...
                                                      Yes we have a better Goal Keep, CB, and better med-filed, but that spark has gone from our attacking player... Build up from mid field as been slow, almost laboured, and that has taken away from Firmino style of play, his ability to receive the ball quickly, see the move and execute it before the defender can react, a big part of his game is how quickly he sees thing and how quickly he reacts, Salah and Mane reaps the benefits of his quick thinking...

Also in hoping for more possession of the ball we have slowed the game down to much and allow defenders to reorganize themselves therefor make it harder to score... We did not need the shift in Emphasis regarding the way we play. We replaced and upgraded the Goal Keeper (Allison), and CB (VVD), bought in a better midfielder (Fabinho) that could defend as well as attack, Keita was bought with last years style of play in mind and is now been asked to play a more conservative style of play, is it any wonder that he has struggled most of the season under that style and he gets praise for the Bournemouth game when we play  in a style similar to last season and his game picks up...?

Chelsea have always been the sort of team that if they want rid of a manager they lay down tools. and there as been some discord there for sometime so no the lost to Bournemouth did not surprise me, City destruction of Chelsea did because there was no hint at the time of Chelsea downing tools that day...

Unlike what most think here I am not a pessimistic person, nor am I overly optimistic like some here, if anything  pragmatic describes me better, being positive or negative will have nothing to do with how the title race turns out 

EDIT:- Lets see what style of football we play over the next two premier league games, Thats how we will know if number 19 is ours at the end of the season or not

Yet for all that... that you don't agree with

We are top of the F***ing league

Stop talking sh*te lad
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #214: Feb 16, 2019 05:45:17 pm

Mate, stop digging that hole, if you cannot recognise how well we have done considering the void in quality between us & them then you are f***in blind,

You say we've been poor this season compared to last, has it ever occured to you that we are playing a different style, a more measured way of controlling the game , have a wee think about that fella,  cos its obviously escaped your attention, to me your just talking total sh*te .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #215: Feb 16, 2019 06:02:08 pm
      Why do people keep giving these attention seeking non fans the time of day?

The little 3 man clique constantly spout the most negative sh*te they think they can get away with, just to get a reaction.

Like so many others, I believe in this team, this manager and this great club.
      If we don't do it this year, it will be soon.
      We're on the verge of something truly special.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #216: Feb 16, 2019 09:04:54 pm
      Why do people keep giving these attention seeking non fans the time of day?

The little 3 man clique constantly spout the most negative sh*te they think they can get away with, just to get a reaction.

Like so many others, I believe in this team, this manager and this great club.
      If we don't do it this year, it will be soon.
      We're on the verge of something truly special.

The long posts are usually the ones to avoid at all costs
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #217: Feb 16, 2019 11:25:02 pm
      Yet for all that... that you don't agree with

We are top of the f**king league

Stop talking sh*te lad

"We are top of the f**king league"... Yeah ,and Brexit means Brexit

Every heard the story about The Tortoise and the Hare..? Of Course you have, yet you seem to forget about the lesson it is meant to teach you... It is not about were we (LFC) are now that really counts, It is about were we (LFC) are come the final whistle at the end of the season that counts
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #218: Feb 16, 2019 11:32:32 pm
      Mate, stop digging that hole, if you cannot recognise how well we have done considering the void in quality between us & them then you are f***in blind,
      Wasn't aware that was what I was saying... I fact I implying the opposite of that... What I was saying is that unless we start playing every match in the style we played Bournemouth and win every game (and the one draw) City will win the Title...

But that's just my opinion. Just like many here have the opposite opinion does not make anyone right or wrong so no "Hole digging here"
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #219: Feb 17, 2019 01:11:04 am

Only thing I take from this pile of sh*t is this , you are astonished at our league position having lost one game,
      Yet them superior fckers have lost four , if you can’t enjoy this season then you must have missed the late nineties give it a fckin rest and just enjoy the ride , I’m fckin loving it .
      Kopite78
      Reply #220: Feb 17, 2019 07:15:46 am
      "We are top of the f**king league"... Yeah ,and Brexit means Brexit

Every heard the story about The Tortoise and the Hare..? Of Course you have, yet you seem to forget about the lesson it is meant to teach you... It is not about were we (LFC) are now that really counts, It is about were we (LFC) are come the final whistle at the end of the season that counts

But you can't be top of the league in May by being bottom in Feburary

Some people are never happy.. honestly it's weird

Since Klopp has been here he's established us back to being real genuine contenders for the league against potentially one of the best sides in top flight history who have financially doped their way to that position whereas we have built this yet some people will always find something to moan about or complain we haven't won every game or we aren't already champions by Feb or that we aren't 7344 points clear

Well honestly lad, this ain't for you. I don't get the.. well we're here but we don't really deserve it or we aren't playing as well as whoever or we aren't going to win it and I'm the best type of person because I accept that and I can tell you city will will win it and you lot are fools cause when I'm right I'll tell you so

Weirdo
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #221: Feb 17, 2019 08:33:09 am
      Said it before and I'll say it again.

If you can't enjoy this what the F**k's the point?

We're up against these City cu*ts who are financially doped and the fact we're still here asking questions of them is an achievement in itself.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #222: Feb 17, 2019 09:55:11 am

Since Klopp has been here he's established us back to being real genuine contenders for the league against potentially one of the best sides in top flight history who have financially doped their way to that position whereas we have built this yet some people will always find something to moan about or complain we haven't won every game or we aren't already champions by Feb or that we aren't 7344 points clear

Well honestly lad, this ain't for you. I don't get the.. well we're here but we don't really deserve it or we aren't playing as well as whoever or we aren't going to win it and I'm the best type of person because I accept that and I can tell you city will will win it and you lot are fools cause when I'm right I'll tell you so

Weirdo

He's not a proper red though. Started supporting us not long ago when he decided to start being a weirdo on football forum. Not a clue.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #223: Feb 17, 2019 11:07:01 am
      Only thing I take from this pile of sh*t is this , you are astonished at our league position having lost one game,
      Yet them superior fckers have lost four , if you can’t enjoy this season then you must have missed the late nineties give it a fckin rest and just enjoy the ride , I’m fckin loving it .

We have lost one and City have lost four yet you still fail to understand they having lost more than games than Us (LFC) they remain level we us, albeit they have played one more game than us, but that does no mean that we are  3 points a head, for we still have to win that game in hand...

And where did it say that i am not enjoying it... Where..?

I, or any other supporter have a right to question why when we feel that the team we support are not doing as well as we should, Question how players are playing, how good or not the job the manager is doing, or if he should be at the club... It is my right as a supporter of the club to do so, and whether I agree we anyone for do so , not I would sick up for them alday if they chose to...

And before you ,or anyone chose to answer or not I would ask you one further question...

Have you questioned the team, players or a manager...?

If you or anyone else can't anwser No, then try shutting up and stop accusing of talking sh*t if you have done so in the past
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #224: Feb 17, 2019 11:11:38 am

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: This made me roar with laughter, Truthfully, I loved it, a wicked counter, although it was not what I was driving at  ;D as Plus on just for that. Not I will read the rest of your post   ;D
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #225: Feb 17, 2019 12:03:57 pm

Weirdo

Again, where is it that I said that I was not happy with what we are doing this season...?

Two things,
      The name of this thread is "The title race: Call it"...That implies to me that you say who you think will win the title, not that you must say LFC will win the title, or it should have been name "LFC will win the title" thread or "How many points will LFC win the Title by" Thread
      I have only  answered the question i was asked honestly. It is my opinion...

Secondly...
      I believe City will win the title, Thats my opinion...Do I want LFC to win the Title... Most definitely... 
      Does it make me happy that City will win the Title...No... Does it make me think that I am smart than anyone else who disagrees with me...No...Does it make me think that because I posted that City will win the title and you or anyone one who did not "wrote a pile of sh*t"... No...Does it make me wonder why I can entertain that possibility and most here can not... Yes
      If I am wrong then I am wrong and no one will be more happier than I will

On the whole I respect what most people here post (Unless it goes out of the way to be abusive to other poster) but People; the majority of it is opinion based for the life of me I can't understand why most of you feel threaten by other peoples opinions because they differ from your own...

There is one here who likes to accuse me of being  a "Plus one whore"  and claims I post things to be controversial and apparently that I have formed a three men Clique and we support one another by adding plus... Well; as i truly do not care one way or another about what people think of me. I have in the past given "Plus" to others who he has been in arguements with just to wind him up,and I have given plus to people who I thought made points but was being picked on by others. But were i think it really winds him up is that some of the things that I have said people really agree with, but do not want the abuse that come with the posting of it, so the choose not too. I can understand it... Me I am thick skinned
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #226: Feb 17, 2019 12:16:38 pm
      He's not a proper red though. Started supporting us not long ago when he decided to start being a weirdo on football forum. Not a clue.
      Mate I just checked your age... I have been supporting Liverpool before you were born  :roll:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #227: Feb 17, 2019 12:20:47 pm
      Mate I just checked your age... I have been supporting Liverpool before you were born  :roll:

'Supporting'.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #228: Feb 17, 2019 12:23:47 pm
      Yeah Supporting... Not mindlessly following
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #229: Feb 17, 2019 12:40:39 pm

Bollocks.

Like your little plus pal, you just look sh*t up on wiki then try to pretend you knew it all along.

Quick Reply