Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The title race: Call it

Read 44655 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: The title race: Call it
      Reply #552: Mar 19, 2019 03:50:29 pm
      but they also have the most talent out of the other teams remaining that can hurt us, plus they are divers and that leaves us at the mercy of the ref making a shithouse decision, like last year's game at Anfield with the PK against us in the 94th minute (or whatever it was) from their dive.

They dominated us that second half at Anfield last year, never seen anything like it (except Sevilla). Hope they donā€™t do that this time.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #553: Mar 19, 2019 06:05:33 pm
      Do you know that in their premier league matches this season, City has never won more than seven consecutive matches?

They won seven consecutive matches from 20 October 2018 after drawing us at Anfield, till they lost to Chelsea on 9 December. They went on another six consecutive wins between Palace and Newcastle defeats.

From then till now is another six consecutive wins. With seven matches to go, theyā€™ll have to notch 13 consecutive wins (six in the bag + seven perfect wins) in a row.

Tell me the odds of them not dropping a single point with CL, Cup games and a challenging run of fixtures. Remember that some upcoming teams like Palace, their derby, Leicester and Spurs will be tricky.

Iā€™ll give benefit of doubt that some of De Bruyne, Delph, Mendy, Otamendi and Fernandinho will return from injury from 30 March. But Stones is out till 6 April and Kompany with no return date.

In Pepā€™s own words, if they can win 13 in a row of premiership matches, then they fully deserve the title. But we know itā€™s very very difficult to go from six to 13 straight wins. Each new game will be more difficult. They will drop points.

If they really donā€™t, we truly have nothing to say. And by then, the pathetic people (not you) on this board will start hanging Klopp and his squad with the ā€œwe should have been 7-10 points clearā€ kind of sh*t.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #554: Mar 19, 2019 06:20:54 pm
      Do you know that in their premier league matches this season, City has never won more than seven consecutive matches?

They won seven consecutive matches from 20 October 2018 after drawing us at Anfield, till they lost to Chelsea on 9 December. They went on another six consecutive wins between Palace and Newcastle defeats.

From then till now is another six consecutive wins. With seven matches to go, theyā€™ll have to notch 13 consecutive wins (six in the bag + seven perfect wins) in a row.

Tell me the odds of them not dropping a single point with CL, Cup games and a challenging run of fixtures. Remember that some upcoming teams like Palace, their derby, Leicester and Spurs will be tricky.

Iā€™ll give benefit of doubt that some of De Bruyne, Delph, Mendy, Otamendi and Fernandinho will return from injury from 30 March. But Stones is out till 6 April and Kompany with no return date.

In Pepā€™s own words, if they can win 13 in a row of premiership matches, then they fully deserve the title. But we know itā€™s very very difficult to go from six to 13 straight wins. Each new game will be more difficult. They will drop points.

If they really donā€™t, we truly have nothing to say. And by then, the pathetic people (not you) on this board will start hanging Klopp and his squad with the ā€œwe should have been 7-10 points clearā€ kind of sh*t.

This City team won 18 consecutive games last season and broke the previous record of 14 set by the invincibles, so they are fully capable of doing that, but I get your point. If they donā€™t drop points despite how difficult that run-in looks, then sh*t fair play.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #555: Mar 19, 2019 06:29:49 pm
      This City team won 18 consecutive games last season and broke the previous record of 14 set by the invincibles, so they are fully capable of doing that, but I get your point. If they donā€™t drop points despite how difficult that run-in looks, then sh*t fair play.

Fully capable is one thing. Going out there to do it again is another. Letā€™s see... my extreme but poor example is Mario, who was fully capable of becoming a Ā£40m player. Ability is there, but can you overcome all odds? Thatā€™s the title race. The excitement is on.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #556: Mar 19, 2019 06:36:51 pm
      Fully capable is one thing. Going out there to do it again is another. Letā€™s see... my extreme but poor example is Mario, who was fully capable of becoming a Ā£40m player. Ability is there, but can you overcome all odds? Thatā€™s the title race. The excitement is on.

Interestigly Cityā€™s 18 win streak came to an end at Crystal Palace. They really do struggle against them. I can honestly see a slip up against Palace maybe even more so than against United. The fixture is also sandwiched between the CL legs and Manchester derby.

Spurs - CL
      Palace
      Spurs - CL
      Spurs
      United

Very interesting to see how it unfolds. We just need to keep winning ourselves and keep the heat up!
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #557: Mar 19, 2019 06:52:39 pm
      U never know, fulham have been playing well, almost nicked a draw v us.

They played some good stuff.

Fingers crossed. Maybe Babel could do us a favour. Was almost a spanner in our works. Be nice if he could be a spanner in theirs ...
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #558: Mar 19, 2019 07:44:41 pm
      Fingers crossed. Maybe Babel could do us a favour. Was almost a spanner in our works. Be nice if he could be a spanner in theirs ...

Babel certainly still holds the club in high regard. He is a bit left field and might do something but I won't be holding my breath. I wasn't impressed with Fulham. It's OK to try and play football but Mitrovic is more or less their only threat and Parker is trying to hard to show what an intelligent coach he is. The more direct approach, given their position, would be a better option
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #559: Mar 19, 2019 07:55:57 pm
      Babel certainly still holds the club in high regard. He is a bit left field and might do something but I won't be holding my breath. I wasn't impressed with Fulham. It's OK to try and play football but Mitrovic is more or less their only threat and Parker is trying to hard to show what an intelligent coach he is. The more direct approach, given their position, would be a better option

Thought Mitrovic was quite, but he was up against VVD :)
      Would expect Parker to do the same vs Citeh, setup to contain - and think Citeh can be more clinical breaking down teams who do that. We've seen when teams go at them, they can be got at. While when teams go at us, it almost suits us better.
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #560: Mar 19, 2019 08:31:09 pm
      Joke fixtures for the remainder of the campaign in my pov, city play before us each time & we've been handed 2 Friday night games one away at Southampton  ( think of the travelling fans you fa tw*ts ), and one at home to Huddersfield  ( more sensible due to travel purposes  )
      Well I hope it works out in our favour in the end
      Gerrardsitchyear
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #561: Mar 20, 2019 12:27:29 pm
      I agree that City probably will drop points before the end of the season, however in all likelihood, so will we.

We might need to win all our remaining games to take advantage of any slip-ups.

I'm normally quite "glass half full" kind of guy, but it's a very tough ask.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #562: Mar 20, 2019 01:24:19 pm
      Joke fixtures for the remainder of the campaign in my pov, city play before us each time & we've been handed 2 Friday night games one away at Southampton  ( think of the travelling fans you fa tw*ts ), and one at home to Huddersfield  ( more sensible due to travel purposes  )
      But we've already played one more match than them and by Friday 5th April, we'll have played 2 games more.  I get the Friday night gripes but the rest is stretching it!
      Gerrardsitchyear
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #563: Mar 20, 2019 02:09:32 pm
      Some of City's games could move due to cup commitments, which may mean they gain a few games in hand.

*If* we keep winning, it could put quite a bit of pressure on them.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #564: Mar 20, 2019 02:10:51 pm
      I agree that City probably will drop points before the end of the season, however in all likelihood, so will we.

We might need to win all our remaining games to take advantage of any slip-ups.

I'm normally quite "glass half full" kind of guy, but it's a very tough ask.

Can I ask why you think we will drop more points than City, considering they have more away games left incl an away derby?

Every team can lose points, we very nearly did against Fulham, but I think that was a case of being a bit complacent and I'm fairly sure JĆ¼rgen will be reminding them NOT to do that again!! Having said that we are a superb defensive unit and even with Bobby and Mo a bit inconsistent we are still creating plenty of chances every game and dominating most opponents.

We do have some tricky fixtures remaining but I honestly see City dropping more points than us, especially with their fixture congestion, plus the fact that they have 2 harder CL games in the quarters.
      Gerrardsitchyear
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #565: Mar 20, 2019 02:21:06 pm
      Can I ask why you think we will drop more points than City, considering they have more away games left incl an away derby?

Every team can lose points, we very nearly did against Fulham, but I think that was a case of being a bit complacent and I'm fairly sure JĆ¼rgen will be reminding them NOT to do that again!! Having said that we are a superb defensive unit and even with Bobby and Mo a bit inconsistent we are still creating plenty of chances every game and dominating most opponents.

We do have some tricky fixtures remaining but I honestly see City dropping more points than us, especially with their fixture congestion, plus the fact that they have 2 harder CL games in the quarters.
      Not necessarily more points, but we have to drop less points than them to take the title.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #566: Mar 20, 2019 02:39:14 pm
      Not necessarily more points, but we have to drop less points than them to take the title.

That sounded like one of Michael Owen's one-liners, "when they don't score, they hardly ever win." ;)
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #567: Mar 20, 2019 02:39:36 pm

??? Is that not the same thing ie them dropping more points than us  = us dropping less points than them ???
      Gerrardsitchyear
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #568: Mar 20, 2019 02:53:37 pm
      ??? Is that not the same thing ie them dropping more points than us  = us dropping less points than them ???
      Your original; question was

I was just saying i didn't say that we would drop more points than City. I just said we will probably drop points also, we could drop the same amount of points also.
      « Last Edit: Mar 20, 2019 03:17:26 pm by Gerrardsitchyear »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #569: Mar 20, 2019 03:04:04 pm

Totally agree about the away fans scenario its crap.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #570: Mar 20, 2019 04:23:16 pm
      Too tough to call, we are not firing on all cylinders at the moment up front and City don't look like a tired team, we have the best defence but City don't seem to need a great defence when they are trouncing every team with possession football. I think it all depends where the teams we are both facing are in the league, whether it's fighting to avoid relegation or fighting for top 4. We need two massive efforts against Spurs and Chelsea to put us in a strong position. Salah? Love the guy but his touch lately has been abysmal and he needs to get sparking, can't win with 10 men.

??? ??? His goal scoring hasn't been as proficient as it was earlier in the season or last year but to compare that to playing with 10 men, really?
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #571: Mar 20, 2019 04:36:16 pm
      Weā€™re still in there.

Weā€™re hungry. Their fixtures are interesting, as are ours. Pressure for them, and for us to maintain our form. Mane has looked unplayable in games. Confidence is there.

Others need inspiration, or their streak is coming. Players coming backā€¦ Itā€™s entirely possible.

One thing is for certain weā€™ve jabbed and threw heavy shots with quite possibly, the best team in Europe. Weā€™ll F***ing have them again in the Champions League should we cross paths.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #572: Mar 20, 2019 05:10:52 pm
      Weā€™re still in there.

Weā€™re hungry. Their fixtures are interesting, as are ours. Pressure for them, and for us to maintain our form. Mane has looked unplayable in games. Confidence is there.

Others need inspiration, or their streak is coming. Players coming backā€¦ Itā€™s entirely possible.

One thing is for certain weā€™ve jabbed and threw heavy shots with quite possibly, the best team in Europe. Weā€™ll f**king have them again in the Champions League should we cross paths.

That can only happen in the final - that would be just mental!!
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #573: Mar 20, 2019 07:47:00 pm
      Too tough to call, we are not firing on all cylinders at the moment up front and City don't look like a tired team, we have the best defence but City don't seem to need a great defence when they are trouncing every team with possession football. I think it all depends where the teams we are both facing are in the league, whether it's fighting to avoid relegation or fighting for top 4. We need two massive efforts against Spurs and Chelsea to put us in a strong position. Salah? Love the guy but his touch lately has been abysmal and he needs to get sparking, can't win with 10 men.

I do prefer to be objective but the final sentence in this post is just plain crap.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #574: Mar 20, 2019 11:29:30 pm
      I'm just so happy to be involved in a Title race at this stage of the Season...let's just hope the lads bring it home!

Quick Reply