Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v West Ham?

Alisson
      1 (1.2%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.2%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      4 (4.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      12 (14.3%)
       Fabinho
      7 (8.3%)
      Naby Keïta
      12 (14.3%)
      Adam Lallana
      7 (8.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      36 (42.9%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.2%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      3 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Feb 08, 2019 09:50:46 pm

West Ham United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 37861 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Re: West Ham United 1-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #1012: Feb 05, 2019 06:16:09 pm
      After 25 league games we have 19 WINS, 5 DRAWS AND ONE DEFEAT.

What kind of record were you expected at this point in the season? Honestly?

Can You imagine this forum if we lost TWO GAMES? GOOD LORD'T
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #1013: Feb 05, 2019 06:20:47 pm
      Purposely didn't come on the forum after the Leicester game because I couldn't be bothered giving my take on the game and then being quoted by the usual people who always wear their tinted specs and are unable to see any criticisms or concerns.

Back to back poor results and back to back poor performances have made me want to say a few things though.

First things first, I was actually very happy with the starting 11 last night. I've been waiting patiently for months for Keita to start alongside Fabinho without the interference of Henderson, gini or Milner. I thought it was a great opportunity for naby to play in his normal position and to play his own game. I was also happy seeing lallana coming in as the 10, something we've been missing having that attacking midfielder in there.  If we had a fit squad to choose from my midfield three would be fab, Keita and ox so I was very excited to see fab Keita and lallana play.

Anyway, the game gets under way and we're all over the place. West Ham had a couple of shots from range, two narrowly went wide and one Alisson made a good save on. They ran through us far too easily. Lallana was clearly blowing out his arse and I was very disappointed with Keitas failure to track back and/or put a foot in. Regaining possession is one of his strengths but I didn't see any of that last night.

We took the lead by default really. Some good play by lallana who played Milner in, How the linesman played Milner on side I'll never know, but he squared it to mane who turned and slotted. Great goal but it was against the run of play really because we had been really sh*t up until then.

Wasn't too long until West Ham equalised and if were being honest they deserved it. West Ham looked dangerous on set pieces throughout the half so it wasn't a surprise their goal came from one. What has happened to us? We've looked solid at the back all season and now we look a shambles.

Naby will get the blame for not going with Antonio but looking at the replays, it's clearly robertsons man who doesn't go with him and is ball watching. Naby is also blocked off by his man too so he couldn't have gone with Antonio anyway.

HT 1-1. Very fortunate to be level at the break and that was one of the worst 45 mins we've seen from us this season.

Second half begins and I thought we were slightly better but that's not really much of a compliment because we couldn't have gotten any worse. Our play was very lethargic, build up was far too slow and we were too relaxed on the ball.  West Ham were well drilled and made it difficult but there was just no urgency from us at all.

The game fizzles out without either team really doing enough to win it. Origi could have stole the points with the last kick of the game but other than that we didn't threaten their goal.

Very poor performance from us and the performance is more concerning than the result for me. Few things to comment on.

Milner has finally lost his legs. A great professional who has done a superb job over the years tracking wingers both for Man City and when he played left back for us. But he's come up against zaha and Anderson in recent weeks and I know both are quick, but they've dragged Milner all over the place and he was unable to keep up. He's been poor going forward too. I've got a soft spot for Milner and I always do for players like him who always give it their best and wear their heart on their sleeve but he is a problem for us at right back right now.

The centre halves are a problem too. Van dijk has been poor the last two games but I'm putting that down to his partner, matip.  I prefer matip to Lovren but for somebody of his size, he's just so weak and he's terrible in the air too. We look so feeble on set pieces now and always look like we're going to concede.

I was wrong about the midfield three. The midfield that started last night was poor. I thought it would have great balance but they were just all over the place. We badly missed gini, and to some extent Henderson because even though I don't rate Henderson as a player, at least he keeps to his position. There was too much space for West Ham last night that Fabinho couldn't handle all by himself, lallana blowing out his arse and Keita struggling to get involved in the first 45 were a big problem for us.

I don't like criticising the front three because we all know how good they are and how often they win us matches. I thought mane played well and he was the only one who looked bothered at times to me. He ran his socks off last night and he took his goal superbly.  I thought Bobby had a terrible game though, I lost count how many times he lost possession. It was one of the worst games I've seen him play.  Salah was also poor but even when he has a poor game he still nearly scores one or two.

We will drop down to second now because let's be honest, city will smash Everton tomorrow, so it's a new kind of pressure to experience. It will be tough for the lads to lead for so long to go back to second so we will soon see if this squad of players have what it takes mentally.

If the wheels fall off now then you've got to ask why Clyne was allowed to leave and why no other players were brought in in January. But anyway, Jürgen needs to make a couple of changes for the Bournemouth game and go back to basics. The pressure we've put ourselves under now is huge because all of our fixtures have now become must wins.

Come on reds sort it out.

Can't disagree with much there, mate.  Glad you see Hendo's value to the side.  Think Milly still has plenty in him but without a functioning midfield he was covering at least two positions at times, three if we were asking him to get crosses in.  In spite of this his positional sense was pretty sound.  He's never been a sprinter so he can't do the same job as Trent.  Must wins, I reckon, is 99% right.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1014: Feb 05, 2019 07:23:27 pm
      The problem here is with the exception of the Arsenal game we have been poor most of the season, luck has been with us in most of the matches and we have pick up points were we should have lost them, which is great, but the feeling has been there that things could at anytime take a turn for the worse and it seem to have done so now... Injuries, the form and  performances seeming to have dipped, the real lack of game changers on the bench, the failure to bring players in...

We need to address things fast

The last third of the season games start to really get harder against Clubs trying to avoid relegation as well as teams pushing for places in Europe. No only do we need a plan b in games , but also a plan c... We also need to start playing some of the youngster give them the opportunity to impress, Lallana and Sturrigde simple no longer cut it

Warn weather training in Dubai softened them up. Klopp should have made them train here, in the cold to toughen then up instead

You can have performance and you can have results and now and again you can have both but as long as the results keep coming our way performance will eventually follow. We are in the last 16 of the CL and Top of the league what more could Jürgen and the boys have done.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #1015: Feb 05, 2019 07:25:47 pm
      was really disappointing poor effort all round caused me to stay out drinking...bas**rds.feeling it today.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #1016: Feb 05, 2019 08:48:28 pm
      Anyone notice how when they had a free kick to launch in, our backline was super high, everytime?
      and
      Each free kick they had, they had,two players on the ball, one rolling it to the other to cross, not really seen that against us this season.
      Trouble was, we gave them loads of silly free kicks, especially that first half.

I want to see us shoot from distance more.Don't understand it half the time when M,S&F attempt these tiny one-two's between six defenders or more on the edge of the box instead of just putting their laces through it FFS !
      When was the last time we scored from outside the box? Trent? free kick at Watford? Shaq against ManUre?

I know, we can play so much better than these last two league performances, we all know that.
      We'll pull through this blip on the radar don't worry.

The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1017: Feb 05, 2019 09:30:43 pm
      You can have luck in a couple of games but you can't put down our league position down solely to luck.what youngsters ?
      Jones, Brewster etc, those not on loan
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1018: Feb 05, 2019 09:31:30 pm
      It is a bit weird that Fabinho is good enough to play RB for Brasil but not us, perhaps Klopp thinks he gets more out of him as a #6.

Looks as if that is the case
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1019: Feb 05, 2019 09:39:06 pm
      You can have performance and you can have results and now and again you can have both but as long as the results keep coming our way performance will eventually follow. We are in the last 16 of the CL and Top of the league what more could Jürgen and the boys have done.
      Win all the games, be 16 points clear at the top,have a 100 + GD, be in the League Cup final, still be in the FA Cup have a 100 + GD, Won all our CL game... Well you did say "what more could Jürgen and the boys have done."  ;D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1020: Feb 05, 2019 09:41:24 pm

Brewster is injured
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #1021: Feb 05, 2019 10:28:29 pm
      I wonder though, the fans might want their team to lose, just to f**k with us, but the team and manager are under a bit of pressure recently so I actually think it might be quite a closely thought game. Everton are capable of playing much better than they have been recently and have a pretty decent team so lets hope they turn up tomorrow and ignore their own fans. I have a feeling they might take some points off citeh.

I talked to a pissed blue tonight and all he went on about is being 'fair'. fantastic entetainment. Bitterness kmows no bounds. But the managers job is under pressure, he needs a win to keep everyone onboard
      « Last Edit: Feb 05, 2019 10:36:30 pm by redtiler »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1022: Feb 05, 2019 10:46:43 pm
      I apologise. I'm not well and snapped at you. Sorry for that.

The entire point I made in my post was not that selling Clyne was a problem in and of itself, but that selling Clyne has lead to a problem at Right Back which is being solved by moving Midfielders there, but in doing so is creating more problems. It doesn't matter if he hadn't played for ten years, if we had him we wouldn't be moving a midfielder there and our midfield wouldn't be suffering as a result. If we had not sold him we could have played Milner in midfield the last two games and used Keita as an impact sub. If you read my post, you'd know I also went on to say that the same problem could be overcome by playing Camacho who if good enough to be on the bench, is good enough to fill in for two or three games.

The four points dropped in the last two games have come from a dysfunctional midfield. All season our midfield has facilitated the front three/four in getting goals, and protected the back four from conceding them. All of a sudden the midfield balance has been disrupted and the two other areas of the team are suffering as a result. No matter how you look at it, selling him without replacing him was a mistake, a mistake we're now paying for.

I wouldn't call it a dysfunctional midfield, but definitely could have been stronger with Hendo in the middle with Wijnaldum vs Leciester City and Milner (only in the first half) with Fabinho vs West Ham.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1023: Feb 05, 2019 10:48:37 pm
      And have we not others that can fill the role  :roll: use than grounds men, anybody but Lallana and Sturrigde
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1024: Feb 06, 2019 04:08:43 am
      Was gutted yesterday KO at 7am so the result wrecked my whole day off and we didn't even lose!

Just f**king miserable knowing Thursday morning I'm gonna wake up and see Citeh on top. Makes me sick.

As for the game. Had high hopes going into it but that 1st half, they could have easily had 4, before we even scored. The defending was atrocious.

We then take the lead, happy f**king days!!

To then concede to "that training ground exercise" was embarrassing to say the least.

The rest of the game was a blur, was just so upset conceding that goal but still had in the back of my mind, that we could score at any time and win this match. When Origi toe poked  that ball with seconds remaining, straight into the keepers arms, the frustration was complete.

I'm fu**ed off like everyone else, trying to remain as positive as possible, but these last 2 results have totally shaken the faith.

Once again it feels like the whole world is against us and every team lifts 150% against us but plays their normal sh*t games against the other Teams in the Top 6. It really does feel like the walls are closing in around us and we need the lads to get a massive f**king sledge hammer and smash those walls down. A win against Bournemouth has to be the start of that!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #1025: Feb 06, 2019 06:51:46 am
      Ian have you been smoking the weed again,how can you think that City will beat a top class team like Everton. :f_tongueincheek:
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1026: Feb 06, 2019 03:23:40 pm
      Can anyone recall us counter attacking in that game? I don't.

We ignored our chances and seemed to be so slow in attacking and there was no impetus to quickly get the ball up the pitch and score.

Really odd given how good we are at counter attacking.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1027: Feb 06, 2019 03:36:52 pm
      Can anyone recall us counter attacking in that game? I don't.

We ignored our chances and seemed to be so slow in attacking and there was no impetus to quickly get the ball up the pitch and score.

Really odd given how good we are at counter attacking.

Yes I noted that, several times we won the ball back and instead of moving it quickly went back to the slow safe build up play, its a definite tactic and one I find quite baffling considering how devastating we were last season with fast 3 pronged attacks.
      TheRedPanda
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 362 posts | 82 
      Reply #1028: Feb 06, 2019 04:25:39 pm
      Yes I noted that, several times we won the ball back and instead of moving it quickly went back to the slow safe build up play, its a definite tactic and one I find quite baffling considering how devastating we were last season with fast 3 pronged attacks.

Talking of tactics, can anyone tell me why we are so afraid of shooting from outside the box? It's like the players have specifically been told to not attempt long range shots.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1029: Feb 06, 2019 04:31:49 pm
      For those who love to dwell in our hopelessness, this video is for you.
      What you're dwelling in can't be worse than this. :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSee-TKNwjQ
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1030: Feb 06, 2019 06:16:27 pm
      Talking of tactics, can anyone tell me why we are so afraid of shooting from outside the box? It's like the players have specifically been told to not attempt long range shots.

I read an article which basically said if you keep possession, you're more likely to score.
      Stay patient, work the ball and the opposition around, keep applying pressure, re-set when you need to, and you're much more likely to score than from taking pot shots from distance.
      Add to that the fact that the opposition are so deep and tightly packed that there is little opportunity to hit from distance (note how quickly Shaqi8ri has his lines and angles blocked off) and I think you have the answer.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1031: Feb 06, 2019 06:17:04 pm
      For those who love to dwell in our hopelessness, this video is for you.
      What you're dwelling in can't be worse than this. :lmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSee-TKNwjQ
      Can't really disagree with anything said here
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1032: Feb 07, 2019 07:48:40 pm
      Quote from HamannsTheMan
      Back to back poor results and back to back poor performances have made me want to say a few things though.

First things first, I was actually very happy with the starting 11 last night. I've been waiting patiently for months for Keita to start alongside Fabinho without the interference of Henderson, gini or Milner. I thought it was a great opportunity for naby to play in his normal position and to play his own game. I was also happy seeing lallana coming in as the 10, something we've been missing having that attacking midfielder in there.  If we had a fit squad to choose from my midfield three would be fab, Keita and ox so I was very excited to see fab Keita and lallana play.

Milner has finally lost his legs. A great professional who has done a superb job over the years tracking wingers both for Man City and when he played left back for us. But he's come up against zaha and Anderson in recent weeks and I know both are quick, but they've dragged Milner all over the place and he was unable to keep up. He's been poor going forward too. I've got a soft spot for Milner and I always do for players like him who always give it their best and wear their heart on their sleeve but he is a problem for us at right back right now.

I was wrong about the midfield three. The midfield that started last night was poor. I thought it would have great balance but they were just all over the place. We badly missed gini, and to some extent Henderson because even though I don't rate Henderson as a player, at least he keeps to his position.

Come on reds sort it out.

When we don't win, lots of posters want to say lots of things. If Origi scores though, the knee jerks go away and the amount of posts is cut in half. That's how fine the lines are.

I didn't miss Hendo. I rarely do tbh. We wanted to win the game, and he offers nothing when we have to win. He's a defensive midfielder that does a solid workmanlike job. He's not someone to open up the opposition with a 50 yard defense splitting ball, nor take the initiative and drive us on to three points single handedly, it's just not him. He was awful against Leicester, making terrible mistakes, because he's not and never will be a right back.

Milner isn't a right back either, so people should make allowances for that when wingers breeze past him. He fills in when he has to and does his best, but he's a centre midfielder, not a right back. Robbo had his worst game in the shirt. Lallana was useless. Firmino not much better. Keita at least tried to create openings, but he either miscontrolled the ball or ran into a brick wall.

I thought we would win it, and when we went in front I thought it was just a question of how many, but then they score and it's back to the Leicester game after that, with the same scoreline.

It's a blow, but it's not the disaster made out to be. We are joint top and can go 3 points clear after beating Bournemouth from the same amount of games played. What happens after that remains to be seen, but the media thought the title race would be over by now. Instead it will go to the wire and we are ready to slug it out with anyone who still won't change their mind from bestowing City as champions before a ball was kicked.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #1033: Feb 09, 2019 05:03:58 pm
      When we don't win, lots of posters want to say lots of things. If Origi scores though, the knee jerks go away and the amount of posts is cut in half. That's how fine the lines are.

I didn't miss Hendo. I rarely do tbh. We wanted to win the game, and he offers nothing when we have to win. He's a defensive midfielder that does a solid workmanlike job. He's not someone to open up the opposition with a 50 yard defense splitting ball, nor take the initiative and drive us on to three points single handedly, it's just not him. He was awful against Leicester, making terrible mistakes, because he's not and never will be a right back.

Milner isn't a right back either, so people should make allowances for that when wingers breeze past him. He fills in when he has to and does his best, but he's a centre midfielder, not a right back. Robbo had his worst game in the shirt. Lallana was useless. Firmino not much better. Keita at least tried to create openings, but he either miscontrolled the ball or ran into a brick wall.

I thought we would win it, and when we went in front I thought it was just a question of how many, but then they score and it's back to the Leicester game after that, with the same scoreline.

It's a blow, but it's not the disaster made out to be. We are joint top and can go 3 points clear after beating Bournemouth from the same amount of games played. What happens after that remains to be seen, but the media thought the title race would be over by now. Instead it will go to the wire and we are ready to slug it out with anyone who still won't change their mind from bestowing City as champions before a ball was kicked.

The thing is, theres gonna be ups and downs for the rest of the season. ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO WIN EVERY GAME!

Fans just need to stop being so knee jerk and calm the f down. Meditate or something

Quick Reply