Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Champions League] Sat 1st Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Estadio Metropolitano, Madrid

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Average players that you liked

Read 2445 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,413 posts | 2441 
      Re: Average players that you liked
      Reply #25: Feb 12, 2019 11:15:30 am

Wasn’t he just.

Swears Souey never came near him when they’re were opponents and even less in training!
      skamp
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 427 posts | 130 
      Reply #26: Feb 12, 2019 12:08:08 pm
      Dirk Kuyt
      Paddy Berger
      Ray Houghton
      Steve Finnan
      Stephan Henchoz
      Sean Dundee 😁

YNWA
      Couple of harsh ones there, Billy!  I'd rate Berger and Houghton as a bit better than average.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #27: Feb 12, 2019 12:18:25 pm
      When I was a much younger boy, and to my shame, I was a bit of a fan of Neil Ruddock before I got older and realised that adults can be absolute pricks.

Thought Suso's career at Anfield could have gone a little bit differently with more opportunities.

Kolo Toure wasn't as bad as a lot of people made out either IMO.

Recently - Klavan.  Good defender, and in hindsight I think he should have stayed with us this year.

Didn't Ruddock break Andy Cole's legs in a pre-season match?

On topic, I always remember Mark Walters getting the piss ripped out of him every time he did the one trick he knew.
      "Here it comes, here it comes (Walters does step over and runs quick) YAYYYYYY"
      Was funny as f**k.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,635 posts | 1118 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #28: Feb 12, 2019 01:26:15 pm
      Vladi and Djimi
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,998 posts | 324 
      Reply #29: Feb 12, 2019 01:30:18 pm
      Think the answer to this question is personified by Mr Dirk Kuyt, a guy who made the absolute most of his talents and never ever put in less than 100%. A lot of players, far more naturally talented, never made it as far as he did because they lacked his drive, determination and hard work. Model pro!
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,801 posts | 2088 
      Reply #30: Feb 12, 2019 01:33:00 pm
      Couple of harsh ones there, Billy!  I'd rate Berger and Houghton as a bit better than average.

I'd and Dirk to that as well. Not top class but a way above average footballer who had that knack of storing in the big games.

jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,773 posts | 100 
      Reply #31: Feb 12, 2019 03:54:28 pm
      Aquilani!

I saw someone mencioned Aurelio, but I don't think he was average at all. He had a hell of a left foot.

Also Joe Allen for me. Especially on his bearded Jesus phase, had some fine cameos.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,954 posts | 2508 
      Reply #32: Feb 12, 2019 04:57:53 pm
      Wasn’t he just.

Swears Souey never came near him when they’re were opponents and even less in training!

He took Geoff Nulty (Bitters) out the game permanento  in the Derby game 1980 ......and I mean permanento.

Prescot born Nulty was from my old school Preccy Grammar.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,041 posts | 1744 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #33: Feb 12, 2019 05:10:01 pm
      So so many average players over the last 30 years :-(. There haven't been many I've really disliked apart from a few like Djibril Cisse.

Always had a soft spot for Kuyt who gave 100% every game but was also incredibly frustrating especially when he first started and played as a striker, so many fluffed shots! Heskey was similar to this, should have been an absolute beast of a player with his power and strength but was just to nice a guy.

Cisse is in the Liverpool legends squad against ac Milan next month
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,486 posts | 2997 
      Reply #34: Feb 12, 2019 05:13:19 pm
      Cisse is in the Liverpool legends squad against ac Milan next month

Lord of Frodsham!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,448 posts | 3518 
      Reply #35: Feb 12, 2019 05:27:06 pm
      If your adding Kuyt to the list it would be a very long list as the one thing he wasn't was Average. Speedy was bang Avg.
      David James definitely Avg. The Avg player I did like  was Alec Lindsay not the brightest in the bunch but had a left foot on him his other one was for standing on only
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,428 posts | 2272 
      Reply #36: Feb 12, 2019 06:14:08 pm
      Wasn’t he just.

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PGY8Rd93M
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,558 posts | 4964 
      • YNWA
      Reply #37: Feb 12, 2019 06:26:22 pm
      Kuyt was an excellent player, certainly not average in my opinion - he would run his heart out for the team, a big reason why we were so difficult to beat in that his work rate was second to none. And he could a couple of goals here and there as well! Along with the likes of James Milner, I would hold Dirk up as an example to every kid who aspires to be something. Both players perhaps not naturally gifted but by sheer effort, determination and application they've hit the highest level and sustained a career there where other, perhaps more naturally gifted players, just didn't have the mentality.

Average players I liked? Morientes was average when he was with us but overall a superb striker. But his contribution wasn't negligible - I remember him scoring a double against Middlesbrough I think that kept up a superb run of form for us in the autumn/winter of 2005.

Add Sinama Pongolle to that list as well (come to think of it, our attack wasn't superb that season but each striker chipped in with enough goals to cover for the lack of a 25 goal a season fella). No one can deny his place in Liverpool's history given his goal against Olympiakos (and then he scored against Real Betis the following season which saw us win 2-1). And there was a crucial double against Luton in that crazy third round tie in 2006. We looked like we were crashing out until Rafa subbed him on when we were 3-1 down. Not long after he scores and it's 3-2. Alonso scores a screamer and then he scores again to make it 4-3! And then it was all topped off with Alonso's goal from inside our own half. Crazy, crazy cup tie that was the spark that sent us all the way to Cardiff and Gerrard's heroics.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,695 posts | 365 
      Reply #38: Feb 12, 2019 06:55:00 pm
      Looking back thru the years..Allan Evans came here looking to replace Roger Hunt in 1968. An almost impossible task. Evans was the most expensive teenager in British history at £100,000 when we signed him from Wolves. He had one or two high spots including a hat trick against Bayern Munich.

Had a few injuries plus was attacked in a nightclub in Wolverhampton. Played 111/33...not a bad return but in truth when all the palaver over his signing died down, he was a very average striker.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,055 posts | 409 
      Reply #39: Feb 12, 2019 07:00:21 pm
      Looking through the list I’m quite astounded how some call some players - average ?!

Kuyt
      Agger
      Berger
      Houghton
      Lucas
      Case
      Finnan
      Yossi
      Sissoko
      Murphy

None of them are average players - they may not have been top quality , well I think Kuyt and Agger were , but they certainly weren’t average players
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,768 posts | 1925 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #40: Feb 12, 2019 07:05:40 pm
      Dudek, Finnan, Cisse, Baros, Kuyt, Crouch, Toure, Milner, Smicer, Skrtel for me. Nothing special but they all did their job for our shirt.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,695 posts | 365 
      Reply #41: Feb 12, 2019 07:06:54 pm
      Aquilani!

I saw someone mencioned Aurelio, but I don't think he was average at all. He had a hell of a left foot.

Also Joe Allen for me. Especially on his bearded Jesus phase, had some fine cameos.

When Aquilani was here Boots ran out of cotton Wool. Think Rafa realised he's signed a dud and just didn't think he was up to it. Came here in the wake of the Alonso departure.

Average:

Below Average: Aquilani

Crap:
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 948 
      Reply #42: Feb 12, 2019 09:45:40 pm
      Kuyt was an excellent player, certainly not average in my opinion - he would run his heart out for the team, a big reason why we were so difficult to beat in that his work rate was second to none. And he could a couple of goals here and there as well! Along with the likes of James Milner, I would hold Dirk up as an example to every kid who aspires to be something. Both players perhaps not naturally gifted but by sheer effort, determination and application they've hit the highest level and sustained a career there where other, perhaps more naturally gifted players, just didn't have the mentality.

Average players I liked? Morientes was average when he was with us but overall a superb striker. But his contribution wasn't negligible - I remember him scoring a double against Middlesbrough I think that kept up a superb run of form for us in the autumn/winter of 2005.

Bang on this... well said

David N'gog... Can't say I like him much though
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,448 posts | 3518 
      Reply #43: Feb 12, 2019 10:02:57 pm
      I'm still in shock that Our lovely Dirk could be called average. If Danny Agger was average what is class?
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,903 posts | 251 
      Reply #44: Feb 12, 2019 11:50:07 pm
      Wasn’t he just.

Not in Soueys league
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,041 posts | 1744 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #45: Feb 12, 2019 11:54:46 pm
      Quite like that henderson fella  :couch:
      king kenny
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,106 posts | 130 
      Reply #46: Feb 13, 2019 01:27:11 am
      Clyne!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,926 posts | 1819 
      Reply #47: Feb 13, 2019 02:13:16 am
      Pegguy Arphexhad - for no real reason other than the 2000/01 season where he played all of two games in the League Cup. 2-1 against Chelsea when Heskey got sent off in the last minute of extra time. And the 8-0 hammering of Stoke at the arl Britannia Stadium. He's also got to be one of the few players who has a 100% win record. Six games, six wins. Maybe it's unfair to class somebody with that sort of record as average.

Vegard Heggem - right backs have always been a firm favourite of mine and I can't really explain why. But for the past nearly 30 years that I've been watching this club, I don't think we've had too many "average" right backs. More solid than spectacular maybe but certainly not average. Then there's good ol' Vegard. We used to have a line of Norwegians coming over on a regular basis and the only one who above average, in my opinion, was Stig. But despite him being, what I consider, average I always like Vegard. He used to go on those mazey runs that would now be considered "an attacking full back". Scored three goals as well, including in both 3-1 wins over Middlesbrough in 98-99 which gives him extra brownie points for me as I despise that club.

Zak Whitbread - this name might not be too familiar with some as Zak didn't really make any sort of impact with the club. But I remember his debut against Millwall in the League Cup back in 04/05 and I thought he was outstanding that game. It was the game where the Millwall fans decided to rip the seats out of the Den and sing their anti-Hillsborough songs. Ironically, that's where we sold him to. But onto Zak, the player, he just looked like he had it all for a centre half and I don't really remember why it never materialised for him here. People were comparing him to Sami Hyypia when he was in the youth side.

Ragnar Klavan - I really wanted to put Kolo Toure here but I just can't forgive him for that suicidal pass against West Brom to Victor f**king Anichebe of all people in our run in for the 13/14 League Title. Go on, someone quote this with the reply of Kolo sticking his head round the shower curtain saying sorry. And because of that, I've gone for big Ragnar. He was f**king useless the poor sod at anything that involved the ball at his feet. But as a no-nonsense, hard-hitting, big b***ard he was f**king sound. I'd like our current centre halves to have a bit more of his uncompromising attitude at times.

Jon Flanagan - yes I know I can't like him any more because he belted his bird in town. But I don't know if we're talking about people we like as people or footballers that we liked (notice the past tense) as footballers. And as a footballer, I loved the way Flanno went about his business because it's the exact same way I would of if I was ever lucky enough to play for the club I love. One hundred percent commitment with less than a quarter of that in actual ability. Flying into every tackle, giving your all and a genuine love for the club.

Nick Barmby - maybe unfair to call him "average" but in my eyes he was. The fact he played for so many clubs without ever nailing down one shows he was good but not quite good enough. But I still liked Nick, especially for an ex-Bitter. He also scored against them which gives him extra brownie points. I could of thrown Xavier in for the same reason, except I wouldn't put him anywhere near average. A million miles below maybe.

Momo Sissoko - I know some won't consider him average but let's be honest in the grand scheme of things, he was. But I f**king loved that mad b***ard. He was like the kid in school who never grew up. He'd just chase the ball until he got it back. I just honestly loved watching how much playing meant to him. He was sh*t with the ball at his feet but without it, you couldn't ask for a better player. The player we bought in 2005 would excel in this team right now.

Jay Spearing - it's no secret on this forum that I always had a soft spot for little Jay. I never felt he ever truly let us down whenever he played. And if Kenny had remained manager than I think Jay would of made close to 200 games for the club. But he was very limited in his ability. He could pick a pass and get stuck in but had very little else to his game unfortunately. His first thought was always forward though, which can't be said for a lot of our central midfielders over the past two decades.

John Arne Riise - this is probably the harshest to put in this side but it was also the hardest position for me to pick due to the fact that in my lifetime, I've either thought our left wingers to be f**king boss or f**king useless. I could easily name players I thought were average who played that position but I didn't like any of them - Leonhardsen, Kennedy, Riera, Babel, Cole, Jovanovich - take your pick. Or I could easily name players who played there who I did like but they weren't average such as Barnes, Berger, McManaman, Salah. So I've had to plump for Riise. Who, other than a good left foot shot, didn't have much else going for him. Despite his lack of pace, he thought he could outrun every right back by knocking it past him and chasing after it - ultimately failing to catch it. Weren't great defensively or offensively. For me he was probably just above average but the closest to average that I liked. Because I did always have a soft spot for him. When you score the quality goals he did against some of the sides he did then it makes you very likeable in my eyes.

Karl-Heniz Riedle - again this might be unfair to call Reidle average. He played over 40 games for Germany, so that's not bad for somebody who was "average" but I think by the time he arrived at Anfield he was starting to dwindle down and heading towards the average standard. He still had glimpses of his glory days but they were too sporadic to put him above the average category for me. But I still f**king loved him as a player. He was like Jari Litmanen when he arrived a few years later. That experienced head who helped the younger players advance their own careers. So selfless. His aim was to always help the club win rather than help himself. Chipped in with a few goals while he was here to. Made almost as many appearances from the bench as he did from the start.

David N'Gog - now this player is probably well below the average bar and he's very lucky to be getting mentioned alongside the likes of Riedle, Riise and Momo. But I did always like him as a player, providing he stayed in the box. I always felt he had a goal in him but anywhere else on the pitch he was f**king useless. But that goal against United puts him fondly in the minds of Liverpool fans as well as a belter against Arsenal on the opening day of the 10-11 season. I dunno, I just liked him.

Arphexhad

Heggem Whitbread Klavan Flanagan

Barmby Sissoko Spearing Riise

Riedle N'gog
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,268 posts | 3309 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #48: Feb 13, 2019 04:37:18 am
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,268 posts | 3309 
      • @MrPrice1979
      Reply #49: Feb 13, 2019 04:42:46 am
      Looking through the list I’m quite astounded how some call some players - average ?!

Kuyt
      Agger
      Berger
      Houghton
      Lucas
      Case
      Finnan
      Yossi
      Sissoko
      Murphy

None of them are average players - they may not have been top quality , well I think Kuyt and Agger were , but they certainly weren’t average players

Saved me so much typing while pissed here.

I'd add Aurelio as he was a quality player but just always injured.

Great thread Bri 👍

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2019 04:52:26 am by what-a-hit-son »

Quick Reply