Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Average players that you liked

Read 12411 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Average players that you liked
      Reply #23: Feb 12, 2019 10:59:31 am
      Jimmy Case .

Was at the time the only player in the Liverpool team without a full International cap.

True Scouser from Allerton had a helluva shot on him and scored one of my favourite goals in 77 final v The Scum.

Local Hero..... a bit more than average.

Some stuff on him ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Case

Brian Hall was another from the era who went about his job and put a shift in.

Two crackers there Miro.

Bumped into Brian Hall c.2011 when I took my boys on their first stadium tour.

He was just in filming a segment for the offal. Was about the time he stepped down after being diagnosed with Leukaemia. An absolute gent - was tickled pink we were down from Glasgow.

Jimmy. Loved him. I’ll let you tell him the title of the thread, mind ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #24: Feb 12, 2019 11:12:21 am

Jimmy. Loved him. I’ll let you tell him the title of the thread, mind ;)

Was well 'ard our Jimmy.  Used to play for Garston Dockers   Blue Union.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/merseyside-hardmen-liverpool-fc-legend-3433299

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #25: Feb 12, 2019 11:15:30 am

Wasn’t he just.

Swears Souey never came near him when they’re were opponents and even less in training!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #26: Feb 12, 2019 12:08:08 pm
      Dirk Kuyt
      Paddy Berger
      Ray Houghton
      Steve Finnan
      Stephan Henchoz
      Sean Dundee 😁

YNWA
      Couple of harsh ones there, Billy!  I'd rate Berger and Houghton as a bit better than average.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #27: Feb 12, 2019 12:18:25 pm
      When I was a much younger boy, and to my shame, I was a bit of a fan of Neil Ruddock before I got older and realised that adults can be absolute pricks.

Thought Suso's career at Anfield could have gone a little bit differently with more opportunities.

Kolo Toure wasn't as bad as a lot of people made out either IMO.

Recently - Klavan.  Good defender, and in hindsight I think he should have stayed with us this year.

Didn't Ruddock break Andy Cole's legs in a pre-season match?

On topic, I always remember Mark Walters getting the piss ripped out of him every time he did the one trick he knew.
      "Here it comes, here it comes (Walters does step over and runs quick) YAYYYYYY"
      Was funny as F**k.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #28: Feb 12, 2019 01:26:15 pm
      Vladi and Djimi
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #29: Feb 12, 2019 01:30:18 pm
      Think the answer to this question is personified by Mr Dirk Kuyt, a guy who made the absolute most of his talents and never ever put in less than 100%. A lot of players, far more naturally talented, never made it as far as he did because they lacked his drive, determination and hard work. Model pro!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #30: Feb 12, 2019 01:33:00 pm
      Couple of harsh ones there, Billy!  I'd rate Berger and Houghton as a bit better than average.

I'd and Dirk to that as well. Not top class but a way above average footballer who had that knack of storing in the big games.

jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #31: Feb 12, 2019 03:54:28 pm
      Aquilani!

I saw someone mencioned Aurelio, but I don't think he was average at all. He had a hell of a left foot.

Also Joe Allen for me. Especially on his bearded Jesus phase, had some fine cameos.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #32: Feb 12, 2019 04:57:53 pm
      Wasn’t he just.

Swears Souey never came near him when they’re were opponents and even less in training!

He took Geoff Nulty (Bitters) out the game permanento  in the Derby game 1980 ......and I mean permanento.

Prescot born Nulty was from my old school Preccy Grammar.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #33: Feb 12, 2019 05:10:01 pm
      So so many average players over the last 30 years :-(. There haven't been many I've really disliked apart from a few like Djibril Cisse.

Always had a soft spot for Kuyt who gave 100% every game but was also incredibly frustrating especially when he first started and played as a striker, so many fluffed shots! Heskey was similar to this, should have been an absolute beast of a player with his power and strength but was just to nice a guy.

Cisse is in the Liverpool legends squad against ac Milan next month
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #34: Feb 12, 2019 05:13:19 pm
      Cisse is in the Liverpool legends squad against ac Milan next month

Lord of Frodsham!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #35: Feb 12, 2019 05:27:06 pm
      If your adding Kuyt to the list it would be a very long list as the one thing he wasn't was Average. Speedy was bang Avg.
      David James definitely Avg. The Avg player I did like  was Alec Lindsay not the brightest in the bunch but had a left foot on him his other one was for standing on only
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Feb 12, 2019 06:14:08 pm
      Wasn’t he just.

?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4PGY8Rd93M
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #37: Feb 12, 2019 06:26:22 pm
      Kuyt was an excellent player, certainly not average in my opinion - he would run his heart out for the team, a big reason why we were so difficult to beat in that his work rate was second to none. And he could a couple of goals here and there as well! Along with the likes of James Milner, I would hold Dirk up as an example to every kid who aspires to be something. Both players perhaps not naturally gifted but by sheer effort, determination and application they've hit the highest level and sustained a career there where other, perhaps more naturally gifted players, just didn't have the mentality.

Average players I liked? Morientes was average when he was with us but overall a superb striker. But his contribution wasn't negligible - I remember him scoring a double against Middlesbrough I think that kept up a superb run of form for us in the autumn/winter of 2005.

Add Sinama Pongolle to that list as well (come to think of it, our attack wasn't superb that season but each striker chipped in with enough goals to cover for the lack of a 25 goal a season fella). No one can deny his place in Liverpool's history given his goal against Olympiakos (and then he scored against Real Betis the following season which saw us win 2-1). And there was a crucial double against Luton in that crazy third round tie in 2006. We looked like we were crashing out until Rafa subbed him on when we were 3-1 down. Not long after he scores and it's 3-2. Alonso scores a screamer and then he scores again to make it 4-3! And then it was all topped off with Alonso's goal from inside our own half. Crazy, crazy cup tie that was the spark that sent us all the way to Cardiff and Gerrard's heroics.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38: Feb 12, 2019 06:55:00 pm
      Looking back thru the years..Allan Evans came here looking to replace Roger Hunt in 1968. An almost impossible task. Evans was the most expensive teenager in British history at £100,000 when we signed him from Wolves. He had one or two high spots including a hat trick against Bayern Munich.

Had a few injuries plus was attacked in a nightclub in Wolverhampton. Played 111/33...not a bad return but in truth when all the palaver over his signing died down, he was a very average striker.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #39: Feb 12, 2019 07:00:21 pm
      Looking through the list I’m quite astounded how some call some players - average ?!

Kuyt
      Agger
      Berger
      Houghton
      Lucas
      Case
      Finnan
      Yossi
      Sissoko
      Murphy

None of them are average players - they may not have been top quality , well I think Kuyt and Agger were , but they certainly weren’t average players
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #40: Feb 12, 2019 07:05:40 pm
      Dudek, Finnan, Cisse, Baros, Kuyt, Crouch, Toure, Milner, Smicer, Skrtel for me. Nothing special but they all did their job for our shirt.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #41: Feb 12, 2019 07:06:54 pm
      Aquilani!

I saw someone mencioned Aurelio, but I don't think he was average at all. He had a hell of a left foot.

Also Joe Allen for me. Especially on his bearded Jesus phase, had some fine cameos.

When Aquilani was here Boots ran out of cotton Wool. Think Rafa realised he's signed a dud and just didn't think he was up to it. Came here in the wake of the Alonso departure.

Average:

Below Average: Aquilani

Crap:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #42: Feb 12, 2019 09:45:40 pm
      Kuyt was an excellent player, certainly not average in my opinion - he would run his heart out for the team, a big reason why we were so difficult to beat in that his work rate was second to none. And he could a couple of goals here and there as well! Along with the likes of James Milner, I would hold Dirk up as an example to every kid who aspires to be something. Both players perhaps not naturally gifted but by sheer effort, determination and application they've hit the highest level and sustained a career there where other, perhaps more naturally gifted players, just didn't have the mentality.

Average players I liked? Morientes was average when he was with us but overall a superb striker. But his contribution wasn't negligible - I remember him scoring a double against Middlesbrough I think that kept up a superb run of form for us in the autumn/winter of 2005.

Bang on this... well said

David N'gog... Can't say I like him much though
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #43: Feb 12, 2019 10:02:57 pm
      I'm still in shock that Our lovely Dirk could be called average. If Danny Agger was average what is class?
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #44: Feb 12, 2019 11:50:07 pm
      Wasn’t he just.

Not in Soueys league
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #45: Feb 12, 2019 11:54:46 pm
      Quite like that henderson fella  :couch:

Quick Reply