Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who is our most important player for the rest of the season?

Alisson
      (14.9%)
      Trent
      (0%)
      Virgil
      (51.1%)
      Robbo
      (2.1%)
      Fab
      (2.1%)
      Gini
      (0%)
      Mane
      (12.8%)
      Mo
      (12.8%)
      Bobby
      (2.1%)
      Shaqiri
      (2.1%)

Who is our most essential player for the rest of the season?

Read 6969 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Who is our most essential player for the rest of the season?
      Feb 11, 2019 11:57:49 pm
      With Less than 4 months left in our season, whom do you believe will be the most essential player for us as we continue our journey to domestic and European glory?

Alison has been pretty much excellent since he joined us. A few mistakes but seems to thrive upon the pressure of the big games. Still loads of room for improvement but what a step up for us between the sticks
      Robertson continues to be virtually perfect and VVD’s calming and authorities influence has been revolutionary

In the midfield, I have been massively impressed with Fabinho’s development and Gini has made himself virtually a first pick each game

Our front three have all had their ups and downs this season but now seem to be getting closer to their brilliance of last year

On the fringes, we have all seen how impressive Shaqiri is off the bench and all of us are looking forward to Ox making a comeback from injury soon

Personally I have been massively impressed by Fabinho
      I honestly believe that if he is on form that he can be the reason why hopefully we end our season with a premier league title at least

Thoughts?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Who is our most essential player for the rest of the season?
      Reply #1: Feb 12, 2019 12:42:11 am
      With Less than 4 months left in our season, whom do you believe will be the most essential player for us as we continue our journey to domestic and European glory?

Alison has been pretty much excellent since he joined us. A few mistakes but seems to thrive upon the pressure of the big games. Still loads of room for improvement but what a step up for us between the sticks
      Robertson continues to be virtually perfect and VVD’s calming and authorities influence has been revolutionary

In the midfield, I have been massively impressed with Fabinho’s development and Gini has made himself virtually a first pick each game

Our front three have all had their ups and downs this season but now seem to be getting closer to their brilliance of last year

On the fringes, we have all seen how impressive Shaqiri is off the bench and all of us are looking forward to Ox making a comeback from injury soon

Personally I have been massively impressed by Fabinho
      I honestly believe that if he is on form that he can be the reason why hopefully we end our season with a premier league title at least

Thoughts?

Every player is important for us from now to the end of the season.Any player who puts the ball in the opposition net is important if he  can get us the necessary 3 points.Likewise any player who stops the opposition from scoring is equally important.It is time for all of the squad to stand up and be counted-No surrender.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #2: Feb 12, 2019 08:51:45 am
      It's a close call between Alisson and Virgil van Dijk for me.

But I've come down that the one essential player is Alisson.  Replace him with Mignolet and there would be, across 12 games, 100% definitely some unnecessary points dropped.

If van Dijk was out we could 'possibly' manage with a fit combo of Gomez, Matip, Lovren and Fabinho.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #3: Feb 12, 2019 09:19:38 am
      Allison for the reasons mentioned above. Touch wood that doesn't jinx it, but its rare an gk gets injured at this stage of season (always seems to be pre season with us!)

Other than that, VVD, Gini and Salah in that order.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #4: Feb 12, 2019 09:20:50 am
      Tell you what.........could just be that Joe Gomez or AOC turn out to be the difference.....

Of the rest I think we suffer most right now without Alisson.

I reckon Saturday we’re 0–1 when Fraser has that shot after a couple mins.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #5: Feb 12, 2019 11:19:06 am
      Tell you what.........could just be that Joe Gomez or AOC turn out to be the difference.....

Allison, Gini, Mane, Firmino, Salah have all shown how important to us especially Firmino, but I believe the Bayern Munich CL first leg will prove how important VVD is to us and will be for the rest of this season
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #6: Feb 12, 2019 11:29:17 am
      Allison, Gini, Mane, Firmino, Salah have all shown how important to us especially Firmino, but I believe the Bayern Munich CL first leg will prove how important VVD is to us and will be for the rest of this season

Agreed on the list, but you can add Robertson too.

VVD has been our most important player since joining us for me with Salah 2nd and Wijnaldum 3rd.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Feb 12, 2019 11:46:05 am

If Gomez & Ox come back on form then the team will kick on for the end of the season.
      As it is I think that Alisson and Virgil are probably the most vital cogs at the moment.
      That said, Fabinho and Wijnaldum proving to be key players.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #8: Feb 12, 2019 11:49:12 am
      If Gomez & Ox come back on form then the team will kick on for the end of the season.
      As it is I think that Alisson and Virgil are probably the most vital cogs at the moment.
      That said, Fabinho and Wijnaldum proving to be key players.

No argument Racer.

We’re in great nick - think about the number of games where Mo has broken the deadlock too?

Or how differently our whole team looks / sets up without Robbo?

Fact is - we’re a world class team producing world class performances all over the park.

A time to be enjoyed.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #9: Feb 12, 2019 11:54:18 am
      No argument Racer.

We’re in great nick - think about the number of games where Mo has broken the deadlock too?

Or how differently our whole team looks / sets up without Robbo?

Fact is - we’re a world class team producing world class performances all over the park.

A time to be enjoyed.

I did write that and think "Am I really not going to mention the front 3?"
      but then last year the team scored for fun and didn't get the results so the key difference has been stability
      and that comes from the defensive unit and GK. If he wasn't injured Gomez would be right up there as most important.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #10: Feb 12, 2019 11:56:48 am
      I did write that and think "Am I really not going to mention the front 3?"
      but then last year the team scored for fun and didn't get the results so the key difference has been stability
      and that comes from the defensive unit and GK. If he wasn't injured Gomez would be right up there as most important.

Yeah - some partnership they were forging.

Both really laid back but utterly laser focused on one thing. Clean sheets.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #11: Feb 12, 2019 12:44:54 pm

But I've come down that the one essential player is Alisson.  Replace him with Mignolet and there would be, across 12 games, 100% definitely some unnecessary points dropped.

If van Dijk was out we could 'possibly' manage with a fit combo of Gomez, Matip, Lovren and Fabinho.

GK to preserve points is one way of looking at it. How about another freak goal that will tip the scale of securing another three vital points and the league title? That goal could come from anyone essential, from Lovern to Origi and Brewster.

The players who get us those goals to pick up these vital points will be the essential player. Everyone is gonna have to chip in. Everyone.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #12: Feb 12, 2019 12:50:23 pm
      As a single player, then it's Salah because he's our leading scorer and the drop off is significant. Beyond his obvious skill, his pace on the wing is a threat that keeps teams honest.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Feb 12, 2019 01:07:11 pm
      Hes dutch but his name isnt VIrgil
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #14: Feb 12, 2019 01:09:02 pm

Agree. It's the keeper for me as well. He can be the difference in those tight games where a save could be the difference between a 1-0 or 1-1.

Firmino to a lesser extent as when he plays well he is the guy who knits the attack together and personally I'd love to see more of the way we played at the weekend with the front three as it brings the best out in the all three of them.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Feb 12, 2019 01:16:29 pm
      Goalkeeper Alisson by a country mile, he has completely transformed our team because he has give them so much more confidence at the back. Other vital players are VVD, Robbo/Trent, Fabinho, Gini and the front three, if we can keep all of them injury free then we stand a damned good chance of winning the league.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Feb 12, 2019 01:21:32 pm
      Allison Van Virgil Becker-Dyke.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #17: Feb 12, 2019 01:21:33 pm
      Hes dutch but his name isnt VIrgil

Jana Hoever?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #18: Feb 12, 2019 01:36:53 pm
      Agreed on the list, but you can add Robertson too.

VVD has been our most important player since joining us for me with Salah 2nd and Wijnaldum 3rd.
      Yes you can add Robertson to that list, but when i was comprising it I was looking at the impact that those players named had over the last couple of weeks when playing or missing...
      Firmino show how important he is when on song  (vs Bournemouth) Salah with his goals, Mane, his work off the ball and his share of goals

Gini, so clearly miss vs West Ham

Allison commands his area whether that be aerially, Corners etc or his quickness in getting off his line to block or clear threats

But I feel it will be highlighted over the two legs whether we go through or not just how much VVD means to the team
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #19: Feb 12, 2019 02:14:30 pm
      Yes you can add Robertson to that list, but when i was comprising it I was looking at the impact that those players named had over the last couple of weeks when playing or missing...
      Firmino show how important he is when on song  (vs Bournemouth) Salah with his goals, Mane, his work off the ball and his share of goals

I keep thinking we are talking about the most important player of the season thus far and forgetting we are talking about the most essential player for the rest of the season :D

I love Wijnaldum, him and Fab are my fave players, but despite him being the first name on the team sheet, would we have missed Wijnaldum if Milner or Hendo filled that void in the 2 drawn games vs Leicester and West Ham? I don't think we would have as, Milner or Hendo are more than capable of playing to a similar level and offering the same output as what Wijnaldum offers.

As for our essential player for the rest of the season, I think it's a toss up between VVD or Salah.

Allison commands his area whether that be aerially, Corners etc or his quickness in getting off his line to block or clear threats

I certainly wouldn't disagree with someone who says Alisson!

Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #20: Feb 12, 2019 03:41:09 pm
       Wijnaldum.
      Look a shadow of ourselves when he isn't around.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,293 posts | 177 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #21: Feb 12, 2019 03:44:00 pm
      Wijnaldum.
      Look a shadow of ourselves when he isn't around.

Crazy isn't it?

When he first came you could see the player in there, but would've never imagined the impact he would have. I think most here, myself included, thought he would be a decent squad player, and today he's basically unmovable from the starting eleven if he's fit.

Sometimes I really like being proved wrong :)
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #22: Feb 12, 2019 04:21:50 pm

Quick Reply