• Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #483: Feb 19, 2019 10:16:36 pm
      No away goals against us . Bring it on
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #484: Feb 19, 2019 10:16:44 pm
      As a match for the neutral it must have been interesting - game of two halves really. First half was utterly superb. The second utterly sh*t.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #485: Feb 19, 2019 10:17:40 pm
      Not the result we wanted but more importantly not the result that puts us in an overwhelmingly bad position either.

We didn't seem to have our rhythm today, i am not going to put it down to the 'Holiday' or whatever i just think some of the players were scared/nervous to really play because of the threat Bayern pose. Also, we cannot take credit away from how well Bayern played, they had a game plan and executed it perfectly, now it's our turn to go there and execute a game plan of our own.

With them needing a goal we can take the game to them without really exposing ourselves, this was what made us so dangerous last year and what will make us dangerous come the second leg in three weeks time, the most important thing is we take our chances.

In regards the game itself, like i said we just didn't click all over the park there were terrible performances, so it wouldn't be right to single players out for the negatives but instead lets focus on the positives. Henderson had an brilliant game, Keita looked dangerous and in all honesty the only player who really wanted to drive at Bayern. Firmino looked lively and had some lovely touches and lastly and IMO man of the match Fabinho, played a superb role in ensuring it was a 0-0.

Now let's go to the old Toilet and give UTD the hiding they deserve!
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,753 posts | 460 
      Reply #486: Feb 19, 2019 10:18:08 pm
      He has never forgiven Liverpool for how they treated him when he was badly injured.

Should be mad at Everton for that.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #487: Feb 19, 2019 10:18:57 pm
      I don't care who takes the corners or free kicks, the only thing I ask is they beat the first man, that's not much to ask for a professional footballer & to do it consistently
      Mate I agree with you, but there is also the point I made about Salah
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #488: Feb 19, 2019 10:19:33 pm
      Even Jürgen said our passing was poor. I would rather go to Munich at 0-0 than Paris 2 down. all we need to do is score and defend well.
      I could listen to Jürgen all night he is always honest and pragmatic and yes we go again all square
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #489: Feb 19, 2019 10:21:02 pm
      If the best thing we can say is we didn't concede then it doesn't bode well for the rest of the campaign. Obviously it is important but BM didn't have to exactly play out of their skin to keep us out.

First half Robonson had to play left back, wing back and left winger. Disjointed attack. Nobody prepared to have a shot. mistimed passes. Plenty of praise for Hendo but he was competent, not much more. No invention coming from midfield. Keita is improving but he has a long way to go.

Bob was knackered in the 2nd half. Our bench looks a bit threadbare goal threat wise. Mane didn't look sharp. Salah still busts a gut but it all looks a bit crowded. We don't stretch the play, it all gets bunched up and it snarls itself up as much as anything. Not over yet but we have to improve.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #490: Feb 19, 2019 10:21:30 pm
      We'll be a different animal in the second leg.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #491: Feb 19, 2019 10:21:47 pm
      Even Jürgen said our passing was poor. I would rather go to Munich at 0-0 than Paris 2 down. all we need to do is score and defend well.
      I could listen to Jürgen all night he is always honest and pragmatic and yes we go again all square

Glad he was honest about our performance.

I said as much at half time, but we were much better 2nd half.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #492: Feb 19, 2019 10:22:29 pm
      if we had been 1% better in our passing the result would have been different at this level small margins make a huge difference
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #493: Feb 19, 2019 10:22:59 pm
      But yes I think, sorry I believe we should be playing with this amount of effort every week/match

That's unrealistic, but once in a while - especially against top dogs - we should play with urgency. We did it against Napoli, we didn't today. I suspect Klopp behind this. He may find that our defense was not up for that because remember: when you press like Dr. Jekyill there will be fast breaks for the opponent and you need state of the art CB's we didn't have tonight.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #494: Feb 19, 2019 10:24:03 pm
      1 -0 down 89 mins Mo scores the equaliser we go through the pressure will be on them especially if we score
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #495: Feb 19, 2019 10:24:49 pm
      That's unrealistic, but once in a while - especially against top dogs - we should play with urgency. We did it against Napoli, we didn't today. I suspect Klopp behind this. He may find that our defense was not up for that because remember: when you press like Dr. Jekyill there will be fast breaks for the opponent and you need state of the art CB's we didn't have tonight.

I agree with this.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #496: Feb 19, 2019 10:25:22 pm
      Ha!! go you... We had Charlie Adams, the man that SAF said that his corner alone was worth the money we paid for him   :f_tongueincheek:

SAF...CA...worth the money NOYN...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Re: Champions League: Round of 16
      Reply #497: Feb 19, 2019 10:30:04 pm
      Lyon and Barca 0-0. With Fekir back for the next game, fancy Lyon to go through.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #498: Feb 19, 2019 10:30:24 pm
      Going to be difficult for Virgil to walk back as first choice CB.. Fabinho won’t give up the role easily.. 😎
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #499: Feb 19, 2019 10:33:45 pm
      if we had been 100% better in our passing the result would have been different at this level small margins make a huge difference

Corrected.  :D

That, and our finishing.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #500: Feb 19, 2019 10:36:36 pm
      Glad he was honest about our performance.

I said as much at half time, but we were much better 2nd half.

Last 15-18 in the first half wasn't to bad. But we just didn't get to grips with them.They passed and passed the urgency out of the game. Their movement and passing in their own half killed any momentum we tried to build up.

They sat so deep and passed it.The suspicion is their defence could be vulnerable to pacy counter attacks. They dropped deep, held their position and passed it. We had absolutely no chance  to get in behind them. We will have that chance when they come out and try and attack US.

At their place we have to use our pace, try and steel it and release Salah or Mane. Keita also has to release it quicker and support higher when we attack.Not without a chance but as I said we have to improve.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #501: Feb 19, 2019 10:43:01 pm
      Gone for Fabinho for MOTM for some one not playing in his natural position he was very good

here here..

Got my vote as well. Wasn't many candidates TBH. Few went for Hendo but he competent, not much more. Wasn't alone but BM did a number on us.
      rossyred

• 9,242 posts | 1652 
      Reply #502: Feb 19, 2019 10:46:18 pm
      Just left the ground pretty frustrating game but they got what they came for. Just wish we would have pulled the trigger more often and turned their two CBs more often so lax with ball over top Hummels and Sule not tested enough
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #503: Feb 19, 2019 10:47:48 pm
      If we are to progress and become Champions we need to go to places like Munich and get a result because that's what Champions do and we can do it.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #504: Feb 19, 2019 10:50:09 pm
      Last 15-18 in the first half wasn't to bad. But we just didn't get to grips with them.They passed and passed the urgency out of the game. Their movement and passing in their own half killed any momentum we tried to build up.

They sat so deep and passed it.The suspicion is their defence could be vulnerable to pacy counter attacks. They dropped deep, held their position and passed it. We had absolutely no chance  to get in behind them. We will have that chance when they come out and try and attack US.

At their place we have to use our pace, try and steel it and release Salah or Mane. Keita also has to release it quicker and support higher when we attack.Not without a chance but as I said we have to improve.

Agree with that.

One frustration of mine is our hesitation to shoot. We seem to always want to pass the ball into the net. In one example, Salah went running along into the box, ignoring chances to shoot, and even Gini didn't take the ball from him to shoot either.

We also tend to do it the same way all the time. We are so used to the front three, that when changes are made, we seem hesitant to use them. Origi was storming forward, but Mane totally blanked him, and subsequently lost the ball.

No doubt stronger when we move at speed, but part of that is making the right choice. We've been poor away from home in the tournament, but no reason we can't get the job done now.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #505: Feb 19, 2019 10:51:08 pm

It's difficult to play with momentum and urgency when a quality team sit so deep and play keep ball.Which they did brilliantly. As we tried to press them their movement and first time passing was excellent. Chances were always at a premium and if you don't take them (Mane Ist half) then it becomes a struggle.

Bayern looked very well rehearsed and stuck to their game plan. Quality team will take some beating at their own place but we will have a better chance to actually get in behind them.

Quick Reply