Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Bayern?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.9%)
       Fabinho
      36 (33.6%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (1.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      54 (50.5%)
      Naby KeĆÆta
      3 (2.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      4 (3.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.9%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: Feb 23, 2019 09:52:19 pm

Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28647 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Liverpool 0-0 Bayern Munich: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Feb 20, 2019 01:37:13 pm
      Really not worth the effort Walt. The prior post in our exchange I was explicit that he was the best player on the park.

Dude just writes what he wants to believe - reality is a prisoner.

I shouldā€™ve left on ignore.

I actually voted for Fab even though I am a big fan of what Hendo does for this team. I am now wondering if a Fab and Virgil Partnership could possibly be even better than the one with Joe he looked so at home there more so than Joel who had a decent game
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #553: Feb 20, 2019 01:37:51 pm
      Agree. We can live with that result.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #554: Feb 20, 2019 01:41:37 pm
      I actually voted for Fab even though I am a big fan of what Hendo does for this team. I am now wondering if a Fab and Virgil Partnership could possibly be even better than the one with Joe he looked so at home there more so than Joel who had a decent game

No issue with anyone thinking Fab had a good game - he did.

I was rejecting the notion I hadnā€™t objected to the posterā€™s subjective tosh about Hendo being ā€œokā€.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #555: Feb 20, 2019 01:47:43 pm
      No issue with anyone thinking Fab had a good game - he did.

I was rejecting the notion I hadnā€™t objected to the posterā€™s subjective tosh about Hendo being ā€œokā€.

The manager rates him, the England manager rates him, most pundits rate him , most if not all ex players rate him and all true Reds rate him because he is a very good player who performs the role his manager asks him to do and he is trusted. He was superb last night along with Gini they put a wall in front of the CB's who never looked. we defended well last night and created enough to win but the clean sheet was hugely important and it will put the fear of God into Bayern realising we can score at any moment in the game and we will have Virgil back too.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #556: Feb 20, 2019 02:12:32 pm
      The manager rates him, the England manager rates him, most pundits rate him , most if not all ex players rate him and all true Reds rate him because he is a very good player who performs the role his manager asks him to do and he is trusted. He was superb last night along with Gini they put a wall in front of the CB's who never looked. we defended well last night and created enough to win but the clean sheet was hugely important and it will put the fear of God into Bayern realising we can score at any moment in the game and we will have Virgil back too.

It's funny that people that want to slate his performance are picking out him not having many incisive passes...when that really wasn't the part of his game that was the most amazing. How he protected his CBs and kept possession and kept the ball moving is where he really stood out to me. He was everywhere and really marshaled the midfield (ours and theirs). Fab was great in his makeshift role, but for my eyes, Henderson was one of the best players on the pitch last night.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #557: Feb 20, 2019 02:14:12 pm
      It's funny that people that want to slate his performance are picking out him not having many incisive passes...when that really wasn't the part of his game that was the most amazing. How he protected his CBs and kept possession and kept the ball moving is where he really stood out to me. He was everywhere and really marshaled the midfield (ours and theirs). Fab was great in his makeshift role, but for my eyes, Henderson was one of the best players on the pitch last night.
      Also did they miss that ball over the top to Salah in the first half?
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #558: Feb 20, 2019 04:05:43 pm
      Haters gonna hate Hendo was quality last night
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #559: Feb 20, 2019 04:44:37 pm
      Also did they miss that ball over the top to Salah in the first half?

Not to mention the drilled pass to (I think) Keita that went 30 yards through a packed Bayern midfield like a F***ing exocet, and took them all out of the game.

He was spraying it about really well until Bayern closed off our avenues in the 2nd half by changing their shape and playing slightly higher, and even then he was pinging it out wide really well.

It's the sort of thing he does all the time, but for some reason, people pretend they don't see it.
      I've said it before, what I see from some on here is basically replicated from twitter and facebook groups.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #560: Feb 20, 2019 05:17:01 pm
      Thought the first half we were very good going forward, with a few shaky moments at the back. Second half we cut down the defensive mistakes, but didn't play as well going forward. Overall still thought it was a pretty good performance. They are quality, obviously, and defended well. We were the better side overall, but not by a big margin.

Hendo MOTM. Everybody played pretty well except our fullbacks ( and goalie in the first half). Credit to Fab and Matip for keeping Lewandowski and co so quiet. First time playing together, and one of them is a CM - thought they looked a genuinely good CB partnership. Very pleasing to see that we have that option if VVD were to get injured. Probably the biggest plus of the night in fact.

Result is not brilliant, but ok. Be tough over there, but we were never going to roll over them last night. It's still evenly poised and we can definitely still go through.

I also thought the patient type approach was the right one for this game from JĆ¼rgen. I've moaned about us being a bit too patient in the odd game this season, but think it was right for this one. Also think it will be the right one against the Mancs, as I expect them to defend and play on the counter-attack. No need to play into the hands of them either.

Anyway, yeah, pretty happy with the performance last night, and still think we a have a good chance to go through.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #561: Feb 20, 2019 05:24:41 pm
      Thought the first half we were very good going forward, with a few shaky moments at the back. Second half we cut down the defensive mistakes, but didn't play as well going forward. Overall still thought it was a pretty good performance. They are quality, obviously, and defended well. We were the better side overall, but not by a big margin.

Hendo MOTM. Everybody played pretty well except our fullbacks ( and goalie in the first half). Credit to Fab and Matip for keeping Lewandowski and co so quiet. First time playing together, and one of them is a CM - thought they looked a genuinely good CB partnership. Very pleasing to see that we have that option if VVD were to get injured. Probably the biggest plus of the night in fact.

Result is not brilliant, but ok. Be tough over there, but we were never going to roll over them last night. It's still evenly poised and we can definitely still go through.

I also thought the patient type approach was the right one for this game from JĆ¼rgen. I've moaned about us being a bit too patient in the odd game this season, but think it was right for this one. Also think it will be the right one against the Mancs, as I expect them to defend and play on the counter-attack. No need to play into the hands of them either.

Anyway, yeah, pretty happy with the performance last night, and still think we a have a good chance to go through.

Bayern changed their shape second half and were almost playing with 3 holding midfielders, as well as being a bit higher in open play.
      It made them very difficult to break down, but also limited their attacking options.
      They kept the centre very solid, packed even, and did well to frustrate us after a first half where they gave us quite a few openings.

Disappointing for us, but sometimes you have to give kudos to the opposition.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #562: Feb 20, 2019 06:48:33 pm
      More pessimistic about our chances since realizing that we never did well in games against top teams we couldn't afford to lose:

@PSG: fail
      @Red Star: fail
      @City (recent PL game): fail

In addition we look significantly worse on the road esp. against good teams. Only @Spurs did we look decent but that's centuries ago. All that doesn't mean sh*t but doesn't make one optimistic either.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #563: Feb 20, 2019 06:50:40 pm
      More pessimistic about our chances since realizing that we never did well in games against top teams we couldn't afford to lose:

In addition we look significantly worse on the road esp. against good teams. Only @Spurs did we look decent but that's centuries ago. All that doesn't mean sh*t but doesn't make one optimistic either.

When I'm down and need cheering up, I always look for one of your posts to make me even more suicidal, jeez man lighten up FFS.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #564: Feb 20, 2019 06:56:06 pm

You need a panzerfaust up your ass
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #565: Feb 20, 2019 08:21:24 pm
      So tell me, do the winners of this game play the winners of Lyon v Barcelona? Is that how it works or is there another draw? Youā€™d think Iā€™d know by now but never gave it much thought.

Edit: Come to think of it, Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the former as I seem to remember being happy about Roma beating Barcelona last season.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #566: Feb 20, 2019 08:23:33 pm
      So tell me, do the winners of this game play the winners of Lyon v Barcelona? Is that how it works or is there another draw?

Another draw.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #567: Feb 20, 2019 08:34:30 pm
      Worrying trends:

LFC has scored 1 goal or fewer in 6 of 8 games in 2019.
      Their 2 multi goal games in 2019 came at home vs league fodder
      LFC could not score at home vs Bayern
      LFC has totaled 1 road goal in 3 Champions League away matches this season

LFC's corner kicks are an exercise in futility
      LFC's throw ins are near-automatic turnovers

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #568: Feb 20, 2019 08:38:31 pm
      Worrying trends:

LFC has scored 1 goal or fewer in 6 of 8 games in 2019.
      Their 2 multi goal games in 2019 came at home vs league fodder
      LFC could not score at home vs Bayern
      LFC has totaled 1 road goal in 3 Champions League away matches this season

LFC's corner kicks are an exercise in futility
      LFC's throw ins are near-automatic turnovers

Oh F**k off
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #569: Feb 20, 2019 08:52:25 pm

Maybe borg is onto something, I think from distant memory a Bird theory, x amount of this and x amount of that and you get the probability that x will likely happen, so turning that theory into football related we may well achieve all the exact opposites of borgs post, yeh
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #570: Feb 20, 2019 08:53:01 pm
      Well mane didn't have the best of games and then to get his house broken into. Dirty rotten low life scum breaking into any man's house. Hope the picks from the gutter are caught
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #571: Feb 20, 2019 10:24:03 pm
      Has anyone mentioned it was a cracking game of football?
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #572: Feb 20, 2019 10:32:40 pm
      Second half was very poor.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #573: Feb 20, 2019 10:34:08 pm

First half perhaps. Second was stop start from then quite early on and we had no answer to it.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #574: Feb 20, 2019 10:44:40 pm

Fair few Mags.

Along with a bundle happy to call it poor because we didnā€™t win by 3 or 4........

Just as youā€™d expect really ;)

Quick Reply