Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre-Match: Manchester United V Liverpool (24/02/19 - 14:05)

Read 27456 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Pre-Match: Manchester United V Liverpool (24/02/19 - 14:05)
      Reply #207: Feb 23, 2019 10:49:22 am
      Klopp said 12 months ago.
      ā€œThatā€™s the situation - how can he not be a brilliant player if heā€™s a Liverpool player? If somebody doesnā€™t see his value, what can I do? Do you think after what I said now, that they will see his value? Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™m very happy that heā€™s back, you can write that!ā€
      So I'll stick with the Boss on Henderson and if he thinks he isn't right for him to play tomorrow then so be it because we have a really go mix now and we have a lot of games coming up. I posted earlier that I wouldn't be at all unhappy to see Fab alongside VVD what a pairing that could be. Hopefully the Bayern game will have been a good warm up and the beach legs will have gone . Its probably too much to ask but a really commanding performance and win would be very welcome and timely.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #208: Feb 23, 2019 11:08:12 am
      Too much he's better than him sh*te let's just trust the gaffer to pick the right combo to win this match. As I and others have said each individual is very good at their own role it's about the right combo on the day
      Agreed,as the old saying goes ā€˜horses for coursesā€™
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #209: Feb 23, 2019 12:02:13 pm
      If saying someone is better than Henderson at something is considered a "sly dig" at him, isn't the above a sly dig on Wijnaldum?

FYI: Wijnaldum has played over 600 minutes more than Henderson in the Premier League this season and 3 more Champions League appearances as well. Gini also played more than Henderson in both competitions in 2017/18 and again in 2016/17.

So I guess the argument that it is "arrogant" to suggest Henderson isn't as good at certain stuff as others just because he's constantly picked by Klopp, then surely the same applies here. And Wijnaldum was a Klopp signing as well.

You can see it like that if you want to.
      I think different players have different strengths.
      To say that a professional, captain of one of the biggest clubs in the world, "isn't technical" is bullshit of the highest order, which is why it's just a snidey dig.
      You'll notice I don't go in the match thread playing the blame game either, and that's because this is a team sport. We win as a team, we lose as a team, or did you not read your Shanks? I'm sure you did, so you know exactly what I'm saying.
      I think Wijnaldum is a good player. I said as much last season when he got a ton of abuse from the usual arseholes who this time around have picked Henderson as the scapegoat.

FYI, saying who has played more minutes when you know the injury situation, and what Klopp said at the start of the season about rest and holidays, is disingenuous at best.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #210: Feb 23, 2019 12:05:09 pm
      You were not alone mate......I posted: -

ā€œMoreno = Playerā€

After the goal at WHL.

Right up to Europa Final I thought there was a player in there........

That's the thing mate.
      I don't think you're wrong, there IS a player in there, that player is just not a defender, and the "lack of mental acuity" means it's difficult to teach him how to defend.
      Inevitably, a brain fart takes over at some point, and then he kind of loses his composure.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #211: Feb 23, 2019 12:08:06 pm
      To say that a professional, captain of one of the biggest clubs in the world, "isn't technical" is bullshit of the highest order, which is why it's just a snidey dig.
      Is that all you got? He's captain and therefore invalidates all opinions?

Human rights Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

Oh wait, we don't have human rights because Henderson is a captain...
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #212: Feb 23, 2019 12:10:39 pm

Human rights Article 19.

Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.

:lmao:

OK, so report me to the human rights commission or whatever the F**k it is you weapon.

At least this had the virtue of being mildly amusing.
      Stupid as F**k, but amusing.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #213: Feb 23, 2019 12:10:49 pm
      f***in hate this fixture
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #214: Feb 23, 2019 12:13:39 pm

OK, so report me to the human rights commission or whatever the f**k it is you weapon.

At least this had the virtue of being mildly amusing.
      Stupid as f**k, but amusing.
      Swab, you never fail to be predictable.. it's always mindless insults or smoke and mirrors. The sad thing is that you probably don't know you are doing it. It's a step below a WUM because it's pathetic, which is worse than ridiculous.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #215: Feb 23, 2019 12:15:02 pm
      Swab, you never fail to be predictable.. is always mindless insults or smoke and mirrors. The sad thing is that you probably don't know you are doing it. It's a step below a WUM because it's pathetic.

ohno, did you just deny me my human rights by saying I can't have an opinion on your post about human rights?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #216: Feb 23, 2019 12:37:47 pm

Human rights Article 19.

A new low.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #217: Feb 23, 2019 12:40:51 pm
      ;D...someone bringing in the human rights act .... 😂
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #218: Feb 23, 2019 12:43:42 pm
      I knew you would pop up, I'm sure you have an alarm system that triggers every time somebody says something you disagree with about Henderson. Probably sirens and flashing lights went off in your home.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #219: Feb 23, 2019 12:44:46 pm
      The lunatics have well and truly taken over the asylum
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #220: Feb 23, 2019 12:51:09 pm
      We will win this game becasue we're playing for our lifes! Come on Reds! Ynwa, we need to believe!
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,694 posts | 3365 
      Reply #221: Feb 23, 2019 12:52:12 pm
      Jesus Christ - what a pile of sh*te the last couple of pages have been , nothing but a pissing contest

Anyway my team for Sunday

Alisson

TAA
      Matip
      VVD
      Robbo

Fabinho
      Henderson
      Gini

Mane
      Bobby
      Mo

I think if it was at home then i think Klopp would have kept Fabinho at CB and left the midfield the same

Also wouldnā€™t be surprised to see Lovren if fit
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #222: Feb 23, 2019 12:59:22 pm
      Jesus Christ - what a pile of sh*te the last couple of pages have been , nothing but a pissing contest

Anyway my team for Sunday

Alisson

TAA
      Matip
      VVD
      Robbo

Fabinho
      Henderson
      Gini

Mane
      Bobby
      Mo

I think if it was at home then i think Klopp would have kept Fabinho at CB and left the midfield the same

Also wouldnā€™t be surprised to see Lovren if fit
      Nice line up. I can't imagine it will be much different, I'd have Fabinho as the deepest player covering defence and making plays. I'm thinking Shaqiri should fit in somewhere though, I'm not totally convinced he should start but if any forward is having a stinker then Shaqiri certainly should replace a front 3 player.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #223: Feb 23, 2019 12:59:45 pm
      I knew you would pop up, I'm sure you have an alarm system that triggers every time somebody says something you disagree with about Henderson. Probably sirens and flashing lights went off in your home.

:action-smiley-060:

Youā€™re not well sunshine.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #224: Feb 23, 2019 01:02:04 pm
      :action-smiley-060:

Youā€™re not well sunshine.
      Ah psychic doctors, everybody should deregister with their GP and sign up to this forum for their medical advice then.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #225: Feb 23, 2019 01:06:26 pm
      Ah psychic doctors, everybody should deregister with their GP and sign up to this forum for their medical advice then.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pfRfPon9vmU

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #226: Feb 23, 2019 01:09:27 pm
      You can see it like that if you want to.
      I think different players have different strengths.
      You'll notice I don't go in the match thread playing the blame game either, and that's because this is a team sport. We win as a team, we lose as a team, or did you not read your Shanks? I'm sure you did, so you know exactly what I'm saying.
      I think Wijnaldum is a good player. I said as much last season when he got a ton of abuse from the usual arseholes who this time around have picked Henderson as the scapegoat.

FYI, saying who has played more minutes when you know the injury situation, and what Klopp said at the start of the season about rest and holidays, is disingenuous at best.

I agree that players have different strengths. I don't think anyone has said Henderson isn't technical per se, just that he isn't as technical as others - in this squad and elsewhere. And in that case I'd agree. In our squad, I think Gini is technically better, and his way of shielding and protecting the ball is a huge asset. Elsewhere, if you compare Hendo to the very best defensive midfielders around (say, Sergio Busquets), then he also falls short of them. This isn't to say he's a poor player or technically sh*t.

I'm not a fan of scapegoating either and think Henderson is the most boring subject of this forum. You've got to either hate or love him; you can't just think he's a good player and stop right there.

For instance, he did very well against Bayern, especially in first half, and then immediately you got the two camps out: the love-Henderson boys saying he "always played like that", although it's blatantly obvious that he doesn't, and it was an above average performance; the hate-Henderson boys saying he wasn't actually that good. Everyone else in between just gets accused of being in one of the two camps even if you just don't care that much about the argument :D

Anyway, I was just questioning the logic in two arguments: that comparing players and thinking one is better than another at something constitutes a "sly dig" - it clearly doesn't, it's just natural. And the other was using Klopp's selections as an argument of authority, particularly in a comparison with Gini Wijnaldum, given that the Dutch man is one of his most trusted players since we've signed him.

Generally yes, but Henderson hasn't been out very long this season. Rest and holidays applies to everyone, I guess, but the fact remains Gini plays more often than Hendo, so if I wanted to I could also call "arrogant" anyone who makes "sly digs" at Gini for being slower, less strong, less athletic and not as powerful a runner than another player, also using Klopp's selections as evidence. You get the point ;D

But anyway, I don't know why I got back into discussing Alicia Keys' fanboy... as I said it's a boring subject :P
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #227: Feb 23, 2019 01:13:31 pm
      Big game against ā€œUNITEDā€ if the last few pages are anything to go by we are far from it
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, thereā€™s a golden sky.
      Reply #228: Feb 23, 2019 01:51:07 pm
      OK, lets mix thing up a bit here.

Eric Cantona makes Liverpool Premier League title declaration - and backs surprise Manchester United championship bid
      Liverpool's Premier League title bid continues to cause angst among their nearest rivals - and now Eric Cantona has issued his verdict.
      The controversial former Manchester United striker admits he has been left in a quandary by the Reds vying with Manchester City for the championship.

And when asked by Paddy Power which of the two he'd prefer to win the league, Cantona said: "Nobody.
      "Itā€™s like asking me if Iā€™d prefer to have my teeth made of wood or my legs of sponge.
      "It hurts a lot. But they play wonderful football. But now, if United had started the season 10 games ago, they would be top of the league.
      "City and Liverpool play nice attacking football, now and score plenty of goals, which is like Man United. They have the philosophy we did ā€“ enjoyment."

Liverpool can go three points clear at the top with victory when they travel to Manchester United on Sunday.

But Cantona hasn't given up hope of his former club producing a miracle recovery.
      "Of course, if they (United) keep playing like this, they still have a chance, no? (of winning the league).
      "I remember during my time, we were 12 points behind Newcastle and we won the league ā€“ so we have to hope and dream."
      Cantona, though, is realistic when asked for his top-four prediction.
      "City, Liverpool, Tottenham, United," he replied.

Link

Alex Ferguson invited to give team-talk to Manchester United players before Liverpool game
      Manchester United could put a dent in Liverpool's Premier League title challenge with a win on Sunday.
      Current caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has extended an invitation to his former boss to give a speech to the players ahead of their battle with Liverpool.
      Sir Alex Ferguson started managing United in 1986 when they had just seven titles to Liverpool's 18.
      The Reds have failed to win the league since 1990 - during that time Ferguson led United to their 20th title and took great pride in overtaking Liverpool.

The Manchester club are not in this year's title race but are looking to find an edge over Liverpool, and Solskjaer said: "He would be welcome to have his talk to the players if he wanted to, the Gaffer, because we know how much it meant for him to overtake Liverpool.

"I think our players know what it means for everyone at Man United."

The Norwegian said there were no plans for Ferguson to talk to the team, but it would be welcome as the Red Devils seek to stop JĆ¼rgen Klopp's side going three points clear of Manchester City.

Link

Words can't express how much I dislike the old git. No surprise here, surely Ole's been in close touch with him since he took over the mancs.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #229: Feb 23, 2019 02:01:18 pm
      I agree that players have different strengths. I don't think anyone has said Henderson isn't technical per se, just that he isn't as technical as others - in this squad and elsewhere. And in that case I'd agree. In our squad, I think Gini is technically better, and his way of shielding and protecting the ball is a huge asset. Elsewhere, if you compare Hendo to the very best defensive midfielders around (say, Sergio Busquets), then he also falls short of them. This isn't to say he's a poor player or technically sh*t.

I'm not a fan of scapegoating either and think Henderson is the most boring subject of this forum. You've got to either hate or love him; you can't just think he's a good player and stop right there.

For instance, he did very well against Bayern, especially in first half, and then immediately you got the two camps out: the love-Henderson boys saying he "always played like that", although it's blatantly obvious that he doesn't, and it was an above average performance; the hate-Henderson boys saying he wasn't actually that good. Everyone else in between just gets accused of being in one of the two camps even if you just don't care that much about the argument :D

Anyway, I was just questioning the logic in two arguments: that comparing players and thinking one is better than another at something constitutes a "sly dig" - it clearly doesn't, it's just natural. And the other was using Klopp's selections as an argument of authority, particularly in a comparison with Gini Wijnaldum, given that the Dutch man is one of his most trusted players since we've signed him.

Generally yes, but Henderson hasn't been out very long this season. Rest and holidays applies to everyone, I guess, but the fact remains Gini plays more often than Hendo, so if I wanted to I could also call "arrogant" anyone who makes "sly digs" at Gini for being slower, less strong, less athletic and not as powerful a runner than another player, also using Klopp's selections as evidence. You get the point ;D

But anyway, I don't know why I got back into discussing Alicia Keys' fanboy... as I said it's a boring subject :P

Sorry to pick out just one part of a good post Diego, but the bit in bold is exactly what I have a problem with, because it has been said so many time, and that's why I label it "a sly dig".
      "He's not technical, but he has other attributes" is a snidey remark, and just another way of slagging a player, especially when I can see clearly that he's an excellent footballer.
      It's like "he's not very bright, but he's a nice boy".

The Alicia Keys thing still makes me giggle though.
      « Last Edit: Feb 23, 2019 02:06:18 pm by Swab »

Quick Reply