Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson
      32 (29.4%)
       Fabinho
      37 (33.9%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (7.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019 03:59:05 pm

Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 41871 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #1012: Feb 25, 2019 11:35:10 am
      Nothing to be said that hasn't already been covered here! 

The best thing to come out of yesterday (aside from the point to put us back on top) was City having to play 2 hours + pens at Wembley and Fernandinho getting injured & being out for a few weeks.  They already looked leggy from the 2nd half onwards yesterday, and fighting on 4 fronts will really test their fitness.  They have a number of very winnable fixtures coming up, but it wouldn't surprise me if they dropped some points with the fatigue factor.

We just need to take care of business on Wednesday, then bury those blue-nose bitters on Sunday and things will feel a lot better than they do at the moment.

I fancy us to kick on now and start performing like we can.

COYR!!!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1013: Feb 25, 2019 11:41:30 am
      The dead balls were rubbish yesterday. As was almost every cross.

I do think these 2 x 10 day breaks have helped with Injuries etc. but not helped with match fluidity etc.

So these next 2 games are massive to get some fluency going again.

Must have been tactics to get the ball to Milner to cross it in esp in that first half.

Strange if true as we have minimal aerial threat in the front 3.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1014: Feb 25, 2019 11:50:26 am
      Must have been tactics to get the ball to Milner to cross it in esp in that first half.

Strange if true as we have minimal aerial threat in the front 3.

More about creating an overload and causing them panic.

If they don’t rush out and / or our strikers don’t either then that’s what the winger / fullback is left with........or passing back as re-setting.

They defended very well - though we made it easy in the final 3rd.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1015: Feb 25, 2019 11:58:10 am
      More about creating an overload and causing them panic.

If they don’t rush out and / or our strikers don’t either then that’s what the winger / fullback is left with........or passing back as re-setting.

They defended very well - though we made it easy in the final 3rd.

We didn’t really create any overloads, not easy with Jimmys lack of pace. It all seemed to be a case of whipping the ball in ASAP at every opportunity.
      This is understandable in the last 10mins but from the off? Strange tactics.

They defended well no doubt but conversely like you say we made it pretty easy for them to maintain shape.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1016: Feb 25, 2019 12:01:49 pm
      We didn’t really create any overloads, not easy with Jimmys lack of pace. It all seemed to be a case of whipping the ball in ASAP at every opportunity.
      This is understandable in the last 10mins but from the off? Strange tactics.

They defended well no doubt but conversely like you say we made it pretty easy for them to maintain shape.

We didn’t because Mo and Sadio stayed way too narrow.

Milner was very, very aggressive positionally in the first half. The failure to use the width was a combo of not enough support and a tendency to go wide too early (Fab especially yesterday) in my opinion.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1017: Feb 25, 2019 12:04:47 pm
      Our set pieces are awful lately, I'm not sure what's happened there, both corners and freekicks have zero imagination or finesse, its almost like we never practice them, if we do practice them then its even more scary!!

Can't remember a good free kick for a long while but there was a stat on Sky Sports yesterday saying that we've scored the most PL goals from corners (11 I think it said...) so we must be doing something at least from there (though not in the past few weeks).  One goal almost every 2 games from a corner does seem like a pretty high return.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1018: Feb 25, 2019 12:07:14 pm
      Can't remember a good free kick for a long while but there was a stat on Sky Sports yesterday saying that we've scored the most PL goals from corners (11 I think it said...) so we must be doing something at least from there (though not in the past few weeks).  One goal almost every 2 games from a corner does seem like a pretty high return.

I think those corners must all be from the start of the season as I can't remember a good corner for a hell of a long time now. I wonder if Origi's goal against the Bitters counts at one of the eleven?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1019: Feb 25, 2019 12:08:29 pm
      One thing this season has taught me is how insecure people are and their need to do two things: i) create narratives; and ii) project their fears onto other people.

So bored of "this is the most important game of the season", or of the past 29 years, or bollocks like that. People said it about Leicester, said it about Man City, about Man United, and so on. Guess what, none of those are or were truly season defining games, it's just you - and the media, for sure, as narratives gets clicks - falling for whatever narrative makes more sense in your head. There's a psychology thesis to be written here somewhere. It's harder to acknowledge that the long run is what matters, and hardly ever one single game is the "turnaround" or "statement of intent" you hear about. Those are just clichés. For all the "need a big performance tonight", or "need to show balls", or whatever you need to tell yourself, in the end what really matters is getting the points. It's you who is in need of a big performance, not the Liverpool players, because even if they give you one - as they did vs Bournemouth - you'll be back to saying the same overused line the moment they're not so great again.

Which brings me to the second lesson. How people like to project their fears onto others. I know many of you are shitting bricks because you think you're such long suffering poor sods who "have been here before" (I've argued elsewhere that no, you haven't, but anyway) and can't really hold your nerves until May. So you project that onto the players - they should have shown character, they've no bottle, and bla bla bla. Nah, they've shown enough bottle and quality; this is, after all, the world's most competitive league and we're still top in late February. No one knows if we'll win the league or not, but predicting doom from August onwards (remember in August/September when we kept winning but you were all worried about our performances and how we were "not as good as last season"? I do) and then saying "no one will be happier if I'm wrong" isn't really an opinion, it's just your insecure self struggling to deal with reality. Get a grip.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 04:56:26 pm by Diego LFC »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1020: Feb 25, 2019 12:19:51 pm
      Game highlighted the drop off from Mane, Firmino, Salah to Sturridge, Origi.
      Definitely need at least 2 new recruits in the front line if the squad is to improve.
      Firmino going off arguably hurt Liverpool more than United's losses hurt them.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1021: Feb 25, 2019 12:28:22 pm
      Game highlighted the drop off from Mane, Firmino, Salah to Sturridge, Origi.
      Definitely need at least 2 new recruits in the front line if the squad is to improve.

Bobby was a sore one, and he will miss watford game probably.

But general movement of front lads was not the best, mane & salah tried but were hitting brick walls and passing was not sharp enough.

But hey a point at OT playing rubbish, all good.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1022: Feb 25, 2019 12:54:15 pm
      I think those corners must all be from the start of the season as I can't remember a good corner for a hell of a long time now. I wonder if Origi's goal against the Bitters counts at one of the eleven?

Wouldn't think so as it wasn't from a corner
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1023: Feb 25, 2019 01:06:45 pm

Yes I'm hoping to god he won't be out for long, we really need him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1024: Feb 25, 2019 01:11:16 pm
      Yes I'm hoping to god he won't be out for long, we really need him.

As important to us at that end as VVD is at the other.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #1025: Feb 25, 2019 01:18:01 pm
      I gotta say, we were screaming for Keita in the middle. We were f**king clueless at breaking open their defence.

Shaq should've came on instead of Sturridge, Salah pushed to the middle. Keita should've came in for Hendo at half time.

Totally agree with this.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1026: Feb 25, 2019 01:26:15 pm
      Bobby was a sore one, and he will miss watford game probably.

But general movement of front lads was not the best, mane & salah tried but were hitting brick walls and passing was not sharp enough.

But hey a point at OT playing rubbish, all good.

Salah may have tried but he was clueless. 1v1 vs. Mata and made Mata look like Maldini, who right after the play was sub'ed off as an injury. That was embarrassing. Then 2nd half clean opportunity for a counter, ball at Salah's feet outside our box, Mane flying down the right with acres of space and another player (forget who) down the left.....and Salah gives it away. The 2 that stick out the most to me, and it wasn't just hitting brick walls, it was being completely incompetent with the ball.

But we move on and get ready for Watford. Need this to be a statement game.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1027: Feb 25, 2019 01:32:27 pm
      Salah may have tried but he was clueless. 1v1 vs. Mata and made Mata look like Maldini, who right after the play was sub'ed off as an injury. That was embarrassing. Then 2nd half clean opportunity for a counter, ball at Salah's feet outside our box, Mane flying down the right with acres of space and another player (forget who) down the left.....and Salah gives it away. The 2 that stick out the most to me, and it wasn't just hitting brick walls, it was being completely incompetent with the ball.

All players have bad games, as u say we move on.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1028: Feb 25, 2019 01:42:22 pm

You might need a statement game.

Team needs 3 points.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1029: Feb 25, 2019 02:02:22 pm
      A very good point, there is something very odd with our midfield this year in that they are normally extremely passive and hardly ever run with the ball or attack the opposition area. We seem to treat the midfield primarily as a first line of defense, which explains our superb defensive record but we simply cannot rely on squeaking 1-0's all season, we need to get more attacking movement and link up  from the midfield and that is provided by Keita, Shaq and hopefully soon Ox.
      In the game yesterday I think Klopp set up to get a draw and was unwilling or unable to switch it around after they had their injuries. If anything I think our players are sometimes overcoached and are not able to play football with any freedom or it seems passion. I mean honestly when is the last time we have seen genuine passion from this team? I certainly haven't seen it often this season. Manure yesterday, despite being hit with injuries played far more like a team and played off the crowd, it was impressive and something I miss.

Touched on the pace & power the Ox brings to midfield, on page 33. Yes we are lacking a bit of direct threat from midfield. We did see Matip make a run thru the heart of their defence and he very nearly won a penalty.( wonder if he could play midfield)

I was excited by the arrival of Keita because I thought he could offer more direct threat from midfield but he hasn't ignited just yet. We more or less knew our midfield was going to sit in but we just didn't have the game intelligence to adjust to their disarray in the first half. Most disappointing aspect was the lack of chances being created. Can't score if you don't create - never up,never in....Tiger would say..!
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 02:21:52 pm by Harrisimo »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1030: Feb 25, 2019 02:05:52 pm
      The real issue is that teams are much more effective at isolating our front 3, and crowding them out.

We need to find solutions to this.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1031: Feb 25, 2019 02:10:03 pm

It wasn't Salah's finest hour but I disagreed with taking him off. Mane had a mare as well. But Salah can produce a bit of magic but Klopp makes the calls and he is close to the gig so I won't belabour the point.
      « Last Edit: Feb 25, 2019 02:16:47 pm by Harrisimo »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1032: Feb 25, 2019 02:16:07 pm
      The real issue is that teams are much more effective at isolating our front 3, and crowding them out.

We need to find solutions to this.

I have said a few times that Mane should hold his position wide left a bit more as the team seem to crowd over the on the right and they try and pick the lock so many time and they just run into traffic. More urgency is needed from midfield to give the flair players a bit more time.

Mane wider should stretch the play, quicker delivery from midfield, inject a bit more urgency all round...and try the odd shot now and again.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1033: Feb 25, 2019 03:02:06 pm
      One thing this season has taught me is how insecure people are and their need to do two things: i) create narratives; and ii) project their fears onto other people.

So bored of "this is the most important game of the season", or of the past 29 years, or bollocks like that. People said it about Leicester, said it about Man City, about Man United, and so on. Guess what, none of those are or were truly season defining games, it's just you - and the media, for sure, as narratives gets clicks - falling for whatever narrative makes more sense in your head. There's a psychology thesis to be written here somewhere. It's harder to acknowledge that the long run is what matters, and hardly ever one single game is the "turnaround" or "statement of intent" you hear about. Those are just clichés. For all the "need a big performance tonight", or "need to show balls", or whatever you need to tell yourself, in the end what really matters is getting the points. It's you who is in need of a big performance, not the Liverpool players, because even if they give you one - as they did vs Bournemouth - you'll be back to saying the same overused line the moment they're not so great again.

Which brings me to the second lesson. How people like to project their fears onto others. I know many of you are shitting bricks because you think you're such long suffering poor sods who "have been here before" (I've argued elsewhere that no, you haven't, but anyway) and can't really hold your nerves until May. So you project that onto the players - they should have shown character, they've no bottle, and bla bla bla. Nah, they've shown enough bottle and quality; this is, after all, the world's most competitive league and we're still stop in late February. No one knows if we'll win the league or not, but predicting doom from August onwards (remember in August/September when we kept winning but you were all worried about our performances and how we were "not as good as last season"? I do) and then saying "no one will be happier if I'm wrong" isn't really an opinion, it's just your insecure self struggling to deal with reality. Get a grip.

ah ok fair enough then, so we'd all be laddy dah and delighted about 3 draws, and crap performances in 4 games, gotcha!! Its all roses isn't it?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1034: Feb 25, 2019 03:14:09 pm
      I have said a few times that Mane should hold his position wide left a bit more as the team seem to crowd over the on the right and they try and pick the lock so many time and they just run into traffic. More urgency is needed from midfield to give the flair players a bit more time.

Mane wider should stretch the play, quicker delivery from midfield, inject a bit more urgency all round...and try the odd shot now and again.

That's part of Klopps style; to create overloads in certain area's of the pitch, so if we create an overload on the right, we want Mane in the box.

Quick Reply