Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson
      32 (29.4%)
       Fabinho
      37 (33.9%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (7.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019 03:59:05 pm

Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 42490 times
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Re: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #943: Feb 24, 2019 06:46:12 pm
      It's the performance rather than the result which is the issue

And this is now an issue for almost two months and it looks like our true identity: good defense, meh midfiel, good offense, meh mentality. That won't be good enough. We had a lot of luck that covered our shortcomings: Sturridge vs. Chelsea, Mahrez penalty, Pickford, @Arsenal, Napoli's must-be-equalizer. Since luck is missing, we are meh and that's the difference to real top teams and therefore nobody here should be disappointed if we get another winless season. We need reinforcement in midfield (Ox, Keita or someone new) and maybe even some striker like Zaha. Sturridge has to go, as well as Origi and even Shaq is not doing good things anymore.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #944: Feb 24, 2019 06:50:34 pm
      I agree with Klopp but perhaps he can reflect on the folly of starting Milner instead of Trent and not making any changes until 70 turgid ineffective minutes had passed. The second Mata and Herrera went off we should have switched to a more attacking mode bringing on Keita and Shaq.

Overall a horrible game again after f**king warm weather training which I'm struggling to see the benefits of.

totally agree with the embolden part of his post... Starting to feel a tad frustrated with Klopp
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #945: Feb 24, 2019 06:55:48 pm
      After all the disappointment of not winning dies down, we'll say stuff like we're top of the league, took a point off United away etc etc....but there are even more questions about our chances being asked after that. They were there for the taking and we hardly created a decent chance.....still we won a point still we dropped two points..are still top of the league...it's in our hands..
      Corrected it for you mate  :f_tongueincheek:
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #946: Feb 24, 2019 06:55:52 pm
      That was poor. Played against 10 men for over an hour as rashford was injured and looked clueless

In this title race one team has all the momentum and goals from all over the pitch and one team has been poor since the turn of the year and losing momentum.

We have only 3 players it seems who are good for a goal. 2 of them have done nothing really since december. If they dont score we have nothing else.

They were there for the beating today. We did not have the heart, quality, nor the desire. Bar bournmouth without their best 2 players we look toothless.

All these people sugarcoating that today .... fair enough. But this time next week we will be off the top and we wont be top again ... if we dont buck up.

Leicester ... ok one of those games. But west ham was poor and today was the worst performance of the season. This time last year we were gaining momentum ... opposite now. We look like a heavyweight boxer who looks a million dollars but now into the 8th round is blowing with no cardio. City look the opposite.

I hope we can somehow beat watford ... and the everton game will be the spark we need to get momentum back.

If we dont turn it round this week we can forget it. City are gaining strength from our weekness. That was feeble today.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #947: Feb 24, 2019 06:57:52 pm
      . Starting to feel a tad frustrated with Klopp

Don't you realise how stupid that looks when we are top of the league.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #948: Feb 24, 2019 06:58:57 pm
      City by the way are in Extra time with Chelsea who they beat 6-0 a week ago so surely Pep will get sacked now
      Harrisimo

• 8,171 posts | 1384 
      Reply #949: Feb 24, 2019 07:00:01 pm
      And this is now an issue for almost two months and it looks like our true identity: good defense, meh midfiel, good offense, meh mentality. That won't be good enough. We had a lot of luck that covered our shortcomings: Sturridge vs. Chelsea, Mahrez penalty, Pickford, @Arsenal, Napoli's must-be-equalizer. Since luck is missing, we are meh and that's the difference to real top teams and therefore nobody here should be disappointed if we get another winless season. We need reinforcement in midfield (Ox, Keita or someone new) and maybe even some striker like Zaha. Sturridge has to go, as well as Origi and even Shaq is not doing good things anymore.

And if the spark is missing up front Klopp doesn't have that many genuine alternatives. Midfield he has a shed load of options. We have rode our luck, been said it's a good sign winning when not on blob.There is also still to much dallying in midfield. This leads to Salah and Co. trying to plot a way thru traffic. Gets to intricate.

Inject urgency from midfield, better understanding with way the front 3 actually want the ball. But it's slow from the back, pedestrian in and around the center circle. Matip was hoofing it when nothing else was on. Has to be a bit more pace, Salah is a great player..on his toes...flat footed and he is far less effective. Urgency is needed.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,036 posts | 334 
      Reply #950: Feb 24, 2019 07:38:22 pm
      And if the spark is missing up front Klopp doesn't have that many genuine alternatives. Midfield he has a shed load of options. We have rode our luck, been said it's a good sign winning when not on blob.There is also still to much dallying in midfield. This leads to Salah and Co. trying to plot a way thru traffic. Gets to intricate.

Inject urgency from midfield, better understanding with way the front 3 actually want the ball. But it's slow from the back, pedestrian in and around the center circle. Matip was hoofing it when nothing else was on. Has to be a bit more pace, Salah is a great player..on his toes...flat footed and he is far less effective. Urgency is needed.

Can't disagree with much there mate.  The 'to me; to you' stuff at the back seems to be a ploy to frustrate opponents and give our lads some rest but it just means that when we do go forward every player has to beat every man in their team.  Frustrating stuff to watch!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #951: Feb 24, 2019 07:40:48 pm
      A little conservative we were today, understandably so given our abysmal record at Old Trafford. 0-0 reflects another anodyne display up front from our attackers but I won't lose sleep over it too much.

There's eleven games to play - game on.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #952: Feb 24, 2019 07:50:47 pm
      Don't you realise how stupid that looks when we are top of the league.
      I don't care what it looks like, it is how i feel... Sturrigde is to static to play in most of our games, and he brings him on for Firmino...? what's that about..?

Origi on and play Salah through the centre and Origi either side and Mane the other... Then when he final brings on Origi he takes of our best striker (Salah) WTF....

He maybe a likable, a great motivator and shows great passion, but at times he should his ineptitude in reacting to chances on the pitch
      Harrisimo

• 8,171 posts | 1384 
      Reply #953: Feb 24, 2019 07:51:46 pm
      Think we've missed Ox more than I for one thought. He does have the pace to actually to go at them from midfield. Pace injected from midfield does mess with defenders. Can was also a strong runner from midfield. So the sooner we get the OX back the better.

He isn't a world beater but he does offer a bit more direct threat than what we have now. I think we are a bit lacking in that respect. No defender likes players picking it up deep and going at them. We actually did see this today  ...from Matip and he nearly won a penalty.

Problem is it will take the OX a few weeks to get him fully up to speed.Got to get some urgency from somebody.
      Harrisimo

• 8,171 posts | 1384 
      Reply #954: Feb 24, 2019 07:56:51 pm
      I don't care what it looks like, it is how i feel... Sturrigde is to static to play in most of our games, and he brings him on for Firmino...? what's that about..?

Origi on and play Salah through the centre and Origi either side and Mane the other... Then when he final brings on Origi he takes of our best striker (Salah) WTF....

He maybe a likable, a great motivator and shows great passion, but at times he should his ineptitude in reacting to chances on the pitch

OTT mate. Klopp can't just flick a switch and the front 3 light up. To much was made of United having 3 subs in the first half. They had quality coming off the bench. Yes it was an opportunity lost but it was the form of the players that let us down a bit...not Klopp.
      Harrisimo

• 8,171 posts | 1384 
      Reply #955: Feb 24, 2019 08:10:18 pm
      That was poor. Played against 10 men for over an hour as rashford was injured and looked clueless

In this title race one team has all the momentum and goals from all over the pitch and one team has been poor since the turn of the year and losing momentum.

We have only 3 players it seems who are good for a goal. 2 of them have done nothing really since december. If they dont score we have nothing else.

They were there for the beating today. We did not have the heart, quality, nor the desire. Bar bournmouth without their best 2 players we look toothless.

All these people sugarcoating that today .... fair enough. But this time next week we will be off the top and we wont be top again ... if we dont buck up.

Leicester ... ok one of those games. But west ham was poor and today was the worst performance of the season. This time last year we were gaining momentum ... opposite now. We look like a heavyweight boxer who looks a million dollars but now into the 8th round is blowing with no cardio. City look the opposite.

I hope we can somehow beat watford ... and the everton game will be the spark we need to get momentum back.

If we dont turn it round this week we can forget it. City are gaining strength from our weekness. That was feeble today.

Wait a minute...just wait..come 'ere.......NEVER tell the enemy what your thinking......capiche..
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #956: Feb 24, 2019 08:30:37 pm
      Should have gone to this when it was clear they were happy sitting deep.

Fab

Gini                                        Keita

Shaq

Salah               Mane
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #957: Feb 24, 2019 08:50:23 pm
      Games against United have gone downhill in the past decade. Either one team is in some sort of depressive state or it's 0-0 and everyone questions their life choices.

So, so, so lifeless that game.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #958: Feb 24, 2019 08:52:05 pm
      Pretty certain Firmino's loss hurt us more than their three losses hurt them.
      Weird the way Bobby's foot just went over, must've hurt that ! but we were driving forward at that time.
      We we're more creative when Bobby was on the pitch and it all dried up when he departed.
      How Klopp expected Studge to fill that gap is beyond me... Keita or Shaq would've been a much better choice for me instead of Sturridge, who let's face it, played sh*te !

Thought Robbo had bust his shoulder as well when Lukaku's fat body did a Ramos on him.. but I was re-assured when I remembered, he's Scottish ! ;D

Frustrating match to watch, as have been the last four games , bar Bournemouth... we just seem to have lost our shooting boots.

Don't think DeGea made a save the whole game.

Matip gets my MOTM, thought he was ace ! although id've given it to Henderson, if he had've stayed on, another odd change from the boss

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #959: Feb 24, 2019 08:58:18 pm
      After all the disappointment of not winning dies down, we'll say stuff like we're top of the league, took a point off United away etc etc....but there are even more questions about our chances being asked after that. They were there for the taking and we hardly created a decent chance.....still we won a point..are still top of the league...it's in our hands..

Whilst I agree with your comments, I think we have probs here. Everyone is not running onto a ball, they are all receiving it with their backs against goal. How many times did Bobby, Salah, Mane and Studge run from an attacking position, only to give it staight back. When they are on form, they would be giving options, all of them together by trying to make space for themselves, and others
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #960: Feb 24, 2019 09:01:01 pm
      Another point in the bank.

Nothing else matters.

Liverpool - top of the league.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #961: Feb 24, 2019 09:05:41 pm

Nothing else matters.

Wish I saw it like this! I see worrying form (attacking)

Hoping we can put that right on Wednesday!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #962: Feb 24, 2019 09:06:08 pm
      Whilst I agree with your comments, I think we have probs here. Everyone is not running onto a ball, they are all receiving it with their backs against goal. How many times did Bobby, Salah, Mane and Studge run from an attacking position, only to give it staight back. When they are on form, they would be giving options, all of them together by trying to make space for themselves, and others

Robertson didn't get much opportunity down the left and when he did he linked up with Mane who lost possession or played the pass too short or too long.
      No Trent down the right didn't help either today.
      Like you say, too many times the front three having to come deep to collect the ball with their backs to goal.
      When Firmino was on the pitch, it was different. much quicker.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,990 posts | 516 
      Reply #963: Feb 24, 2019 09:06:44 pm
      Can't disagree with much there mate.  The 'to me; to you' stuff at the back seems to be a ploy to frustrate opponents and give our lads some rest but it just means that when we do go forward every player has to beat every man in their team.  Frustrating stuff to watch!

I actually think we were right to be patient in our build up (it was when we got frustrated and stared hitting long balls to nobody that we were at our worst.)

United set up to play on the counter, despite being at home. Jürgen knew they would, cos their style of play actually hasn't changed much under Solskjaer, he's just getting more more effort out of them than Mourinho. So Jürgen was right not to play into their hands - stay patient, make them chase the ball, wait for gaps. The problem was that when the gaps were there our front 3 and FBs kept wasting the openings with terrible final balls.

It wasn't a tactical fault, it was just our attacking players were all way off their best.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #964: Feb 24, 2019 09:09:55 pm

Nothing else matters.

Game is gone mate - no other way to see it.

We were outstanding 2 weeks ago against Bournemouth. I'm not concerned that we didn't find a way today.

I'm a bit frustrated but it doesn't point at a deeper malaise - just some bad options utilized and impatience in the final 3rd. That will pass.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #965: Feb 24, 2019 09:31:53 pm

Nothing else matters.

I think a week back I said that we just needed to make sure we won 11 and could take a draw in another and I looked at this game being probably the most likely that draw came. All in all, we’ve been utter garbage since the turn of the year, but if we win the next 11 league games, who will give a crap apart from the people who pick for the sake of it.

We’ll see. Helps that City now have injuries and if anything comes from this game then at least we’ve gone back to the top and the Mancs drop back out the top 4.

Quick Reply