Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson
      32 (29.4%)
       Fabinho
      37 (33.9%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (7.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019 03:59:05 pm

Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 41886 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #966: Feb 24, 2019 09:37:02 pm
      this place is about as much fun as counting piles on yer arse ( been watching Two doors down) It is 29 years since we have won the league some of us were lucky enough to see many of them but I can never ever remember so many weird opinions on player selection or tactics when we were sitting on top of the League. The world has gone mental
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #967: Feb 24, 2019 09:41:03 pm
      this place is about as much fun as counting piles on yer arse ( been watching Two doors down) It is 29 years since we have won the league some of us were lucky enough to see many of them but I can never ever remember so many weird opinions on player selection or tactics when we were sitting on top of the League. The world has gone mental

Fucks sake Walt I wouldn’t want to have a pint with you Mr Interesting.

It’s a football forum to discuss all the good, bad, what could have been done different etc.

Just imagine every post just saying how brilliant we are, holy sh*t!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #968: Feb 24, 2019 09:43:15 pm
      Satisfactory result on the whole, top of the table, not bad at all.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #969: Feb 24, 2019 09:46:37 pm
      Not enough quality today in the forward third. Should have had a penalty but otherwise, didn't provide the final ball. But we dominated the game much of the way, despite the American network comm (a clear United fan) going apoplectic every time United got within 35 yards of our goal.

The title almost always comes down to who drops the  most points against teams they should beat (outside the top 6). I didn't see us losing our nerve or anything today - we were just thwarted in front of their goal.

Went with Fabinho for MoTM. I am fine with team selection but do hope to see Trent and Naby back in to the XI on Wednesday.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #970: Feb 24, 2019 09:48:41 pm
      OTT mate. Klopp can't just flick a switch and the front 3 light up. To much was made of United having 3 subs in the first half. They had quality coming off the bench. Yes it was an opportunity lost but it was the form of the players that let us down a bit...not Klopp.
      It is not about flickin' a switch, players have off days, i get that, but as a manager you have to try to use the right sub, in the right place, and anyone who has watch Sturrigde over the last six month knew that it was a bad move to have him as a sub much less use him to replace any of the front three...Sturrigde should not even be on the bench

He no longer has the pace to play off a defenders shoulder, or to chase down a pass or out pace a defender, he has to drop deep to play the ball which means that teams can stick two defenders on Salah, knowing that that have only Salah and Mane to contend within an advent of a break... At least playing Origi he has the pace to do everything Sturrigde lacks and take away that extra man mark Salah and there is not another striker to contend with...

My heart sank when they said that Sturrigde was coming on the replace Firmino. I knew everyone would look to feed him even if there was a better ball on for someone else and that if he could take a speculative shot or pass a decent ball to set up someone, he would chose to take the shot. In other word we where fu**ed...

I was hoping that Klopp would acknowledge the his mistake and swap Origi for Sturrigde

Most here knew that was a mistake to bring him on, but few her would admit it for fear of looking as if they were not supporting the team

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #971: Feb 24, 2019 09:51:16 pm
      Pretty certain Firmino's loss hurt us more than their three losses hurt them.
      Weird the way Bobby's foot just went over, must've hurt that ! but we were driving forward at that time.
      We we're more creative when Bobby was on the pitch and it all dried up when he departed.
      How Klopp expected Studge to fill that gap is beyond me... Keita or Shaq would've been a much better choice for me instead of Sturridge, who let's face it, played sh*te !

Thought Robbo had bust his shoulder as well when Lukaku's fat body did a Ramos on him.. but I was re-assured when I remembered, he's Scottish ! ;D

Frustrating match to watch, as have been the last four games , bar Bournemouth... we just seem to have lost our shooting boots.

Don't think DeGea made a save the whole game.

Matip gets my MOTM, thought he was ace ! although id've given it to Henderson, if he had've stayed on, another odd change from the boss

How indeed
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #972: Feb 24, 2019 10:37:11 pm
      A bit of a non event really, but we got a result, we're 6 games unbeaten, and we're back on our perch.

Crisis? What Crisis?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #973: Feb 24, 2019 11:05:11 pm
      We have Spurs and Chelsea left, City have Spurs and United. Both our games are at home. We are 1 point ahead, we still have an advantage.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #974: Feb 24, 2019 11:09:33 pm
      We have Spurs and Chelsea left, City have Spurs and United. Both our games are at home. We are 1 point ahead, we still have an advantage.

I would add Everton away. As sh*t as they are, we all know they will turn up and give 110%. I think they will  prove to be more difficult than Utd.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #975: Feb 24, 2019 11:10:15 pm
      Sorry i checked in. Always the same old happy sh*te from the same super fans..."great point" " who cares were top"

Are you people blind or purposely ignoring reality?

We created nothing today no danger to them at all. They are sh*te and created as much as us..Wake up people we are openly F***ing away a title
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #976: Feb 24, 2019 11:10:51 pm
      The result of taking a one point in a fixture which many highlighted as one of the toughest we have in remaining which isn't bad but based on what we faced today and the performance of the 90 minutes it was more of the same we have seen since the turn of the year. Just highlights to me the lack of attacking depth (which most of us know we lack talking in the transfer thread), in a match where Mane and Salah were both poor it makes getting a result really difficult for us which is a shame because defensive play has been good. I thought the whole left side of attack between Robbo, Gini and Mane was very poor, never a good sign when you don't create any clear cut chances.

Fact of the matter is we have 11 games left we have a one point lead. We are in a title fight where we wanted to be and look forward to seeing what this group of players can deliver going forward.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #977: Feb 24, 2019 11:12:39 pm
      It is not about flickin' a switch, players have off days, i get that, but as a manager you have to try to use the right sub, in the right place, and anyone who has watch Sturrigde over the last six month knew that it was a bad move to have him as a sub much less use him to replace any of the front three...Sturrigde should not even be on the bench

He no longer has the pace to play off a defenders shoulder, or to chase down a pass or out pace a defender, he has to drop deep to play the ball which means that teams can stick two defenders on Salah, knowing that that have only Salah and Mane to contend within an advent of a break... At least playing Origi he has the pace to do everything Sturrigde lacks and take away that extra man mark Salah and there is not another striker to contend with...

My heart sank when they said that Sturrigde was coming on the replace Firmino. I knew everyone would look to feed him even if there was a better ball on for someone else and that if he could take a speculative shot or pass a decent ball to set up someone, he would chose to take the shot. In other word we where fu**ed...

I was hoping that Klopp would acknowledge the his mistake and swap Origi for Sturrigde

Most here knew that was a mistake to bring him on, but few her would admit it for fear of looking as if they were not supporting the team

Cannot agree more, Studge is at his best when we are on the front foot, Origi was the better option, he would have taken them back, 'cause he chases everything
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #978: Feb 24, 2019 11:18:09 pm
      Well I take it you do know what a corner and free kicks are...OK so I would expect VVD, when we get corners etc, to actually win the odd header but I can't recall when he actually did.

And I'm taking into account we take the worst corners and free kicks in the league.

If we take the worst corners then why have we scored more goals than anyone else this season from them?

Just to further add;

https://mobile.twitter.com/TactTimesSocial/status/1099705492924968960

Things always seem much worse than they actually are right after the game.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #979: Feb 24, 2019 11:19:01 pm
      I would add Everton away. As sh*t as they are, we all know they will turn up and give 110%. I think they will  prove to be more difficult than Utd.
      Yeah they only turn up against us, then rollover against everyone else.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #980: Feb 24, 2019 11:22:32 pm
      Sorry i checked in. Always the same old happy sh*te from the same super fans..."great point" " who cares were top"

We created nothing today no danger to them at all. They are sh*te and created as much as us..Wake up people we are openly f**king away a title

Great pep talk Bri ( meant }
      « Last Edit: Feb 24, 2019 11:26:38 pm by redtiler »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #981: Feb 24, 2019 11:32:22 pm

Pep talk? Am I paid to boost peoples beliefs here? I say what I see always have always will.....to  me today was a fuckup..they lost any momentum through early iinjuries..we were alreay on top. We from that point had a grip but didnt grrab it because we had no player willing or able to grab the game by the scruf. Not willing or able to take a shot or run at them or play a pass to open them up. No player able to play a decent corner or free kick

But F**k it were top playing sh*te and itll all change from now
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #982: Feb 24, 2019 11:45:18 pm
      Pep talk? Am I paid to boost peoples beliefs here? I say what I see always have always will....

^^^^
      This
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #983: Feb 24, 2019 11:46:40 pm
      While there were bright spots in this performance like VVD, Fabinho and the point taken, we continued suffering from the same problem we've suffered from for the last 5 or 6 games against stronger opposition who are willing to sit a bit deeper and wait for us.

The idea of making Firmino drop down in order to receive the ball, open spaces for Mane and Salah all while starting the attacks in the final 3rd of the pitch is not working.

Go back and watch the game. Pay close attention to the yards of space between the most advanced midfield player and the front line. Simply too much space. Nobody from the midfield carries the ball in those spaces in order to create something or simply to drive it forward.

The result is that the ball is passed to either one of the wingers who is immediately sandwiched between the opposition's full-back, the returning winger and a player from the midfield. It is the same thing if one of our full-backs made the run. He and our winger get sandwiched between 3 or 4 players with no support.

This is mainly why I wanted Keita to start. By far the only player who gives us relief in term of creativity despite not hitting any heights since he came here. We're going to need to either start giving serious minutes to Keita or give license to players like Gini and Henderson to move much higher than 5 yards past the halfway line. Then again, can Henderson and Gini produce the good when given those tasks?

Edit: Also pay close attention to how none of the midfielders makes any type of supporting run into the opposition's box even when our full-back or winger escaped the pressure and manages to cross the ball into the box. All we have in there is our opposite side winger and the striker who are both easily marked and neutralized by 4 or 5 players from the other team who don't have to worry about any of our midfielders making a run inside their box.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #984: Feb 24, 2019 11:51:59 pm

We created nothing today no danger to them at all. They are sh*te and created as much as us..Wake up people we are openly f**king away a title

Sorry fella - just the opposite of how I see it.

I think we’re in a great position - just having a bit of a tricky patch.

You are free to see / interpret as you like though.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #985: Feb 24, 2019 11:53:22 pm
      I was disappointed in todays game because with what happened Utd were there to be flogged. Even if they had everyone behind the ball they we average at best. I thought we definitely should have had a penalty.

I have to say though, Henderson played well (last game too) but Gini and Fabinho are exceptional. Really good players. I think TAA should have come on. Shaquiri must have been injured and I would put Origi before Studge at the moment. I'd rather Origi try and force something that Studge operate as a creative number 10 because it doesn't work.

However a point is a point. Keep our noses in front.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #986: Feb 24, 2019 11:54:53 pm
      Sorry fella - just the opposite of how I see it.

I think we’re in a great position - just having a bit of a tricky patch.

You are free to see / interpret as you like though.

I see it as my team having f**k all shots on goal for a long time now. And im sorry but I cant see  how any team wins a straight shoot out gir a league without shooting, pardon the pun
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #987: Feb 24, 2019 11:58:16 pm
      I see it as my team having f**k all shots on goal for a long time now. And im sorry but I cant see  how any team wins a straight shoot out gir a league without shooting, pardon the pun

Yep.

We’ll definitely need to at least try to score soon or it’s a real problem.

Each to their own.

I just don’t see how being positive when we’re top of the league is a problem because we were poor today.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #988: Feb 25, 2019 12:05:17 am
      Can't say that Sturridge played well. But can't say he played badly.

He didn't contribute much, but as a Striker, what did he have to work with? How many times did he get a touch in the box? or even in a position where he could shoot? 

The creative flow to our Striker was appalling. It was non-existent.

People keep comparing Sturridge to Firmino and expecting him to play like Firmino. When he doesn't 'do a Firmino' they claim that he has played badly. Sturridge is not a Firmino. He's not a run around, chase the ball player. He's a Striker. He likes to play on the shoulder, ready to attack, ready to score.

The fact that we saw him having to drop back deep again looking for the ball was a reflection on our poor creativity. There was nothing happening.

Such a boring game that one..  :f_doh:

There’s two things that were highlighted;
      1. How critical Firmino is to the attacking setup and linking the final third together.
      2. Studge is finished at this level.

Quick Reply