Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson
      32 (29.4%)
       Fabinho
      37 (33.9%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (7.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019 03:59:05 pm

Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 41885 times
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Re: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #989: Feb 25, 2019 12:09:31 am
      Recent results have followed this trend..

Liverpool drop points. Man City close gap.
      Loyalist LFC fans "we are still top".

Now down to 1 point. Now we can no longer remain top if we drop points again.

If your take from today's game was that we are still top, and the performance did not bother you, then you may run out of positives pretty quickly. We simply cannot afford one more slip up. We basically have to win every game now.

Sure - Man City may still slip up themselves. But until they do, we cannot.

Yet, the trend is we are on the down, Man City are on the up. Let's get back to reality, accept our performance is not good enough, and hope to solve the problems pretty quickly! We desperately need a couple of back to back wins now, and with a strong performance to match. We need some self belief, and we need to send a message to the other teams.
      DanMann

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #990: Feb 25, 2019 12:12:55 am
      Thereā€™s two things that were highlighted;
      1. How critical Firmino is to the attacking setup and linking the final third together.
      2. Studge is finished at this level.

Maybe so, but I'll add a 3rd.

It highlighted how poorly we adjust to not having the usual forward 3.

We don't seem to know how to play any other way. We missed our chances to get our 'squad depth' adjusted into the team, so that when they do play, we can continue to play as a team. Unfortunately, they've been so under used that we've made it difficult for them to make the adjustment.
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #991: Feb 25, 2019 12:15:56 am
      Don't shoot the messenger! In two weeks we will talk about top4 and summer signings. This team rolls downhill. This was the game to show balls and we didn't, this was the game to take advantage from their injuries and we didn't. We are a warm weather team: at home and things run smoothly plus some good luck and boy are we riding and no-look-goals from Bobby, as soon as clouds darken the sky we look pretty meh.

vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #992: Feb 25, 2019 12:47:42 am
      Maybe so, but I'll add a 3rd.

It highlighted how poorly we adjust to not having the usual forward 3.

We don't seem to know how to play any other way. We missed our chances to get our 'squad depth' adjusted into the team, so that when they do play, we can continue to play as a team. Unfortunately, they've been so under used that we've made it difficult for them to make the adjustment.

Yeah you can tell early when its not clicking and it becomes a long 90 minutes. Against United we looked like we had other things on our mind when we got up front. In reality our midfield and defense bossed it. Front 3 not so much and even less when Bobby went off.  Having said that, despite their injuries, United do not have a weak squad and Mourinho spent a couple of years drumming how to defend in numbers into them.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #993: Feb 25, 2019 01:28:25 am
      The ā€œtacticsā€ today were simply abysmal... it was really grim watching. Amount of times we lumped it forward to nobody... Milner gets in wide and crosses in to nobody....

To create zilch against THAT united side pretty disappointing. Bloody hell letā€™s hope bobby isnā€™t broken as as Iā€™ve feared all season, Iā€™ve no idea what the plan will be if any of the front 3 are injured..
      Kop_it
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 373 posts | 13 
      Reply #994: Feb 25, 2019 01:33:52 am
      I gotta say, we were screaming for Keita in the middle. We were F***ing clueless at breaking open their defence.

Shaq should've came on instead of Sturridge, Salah pushed to the middle. Keita should've came in for Hendo at half time.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #995: Feb 25, 2019 03:50:04 am
      If Bobby cant start on Wed, and looks that way, I would start Shaqiri on the right of 4-2-3-1 with Keita behind Mo.. Fab-Gini pivot. No way Origi or Sturridge deserve to start!

So, considering workload and bodies available, may be Keita-Hendo-Lallana mid 3 for the Ev (although thats very uninspiring)
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #996: Feb 25, 2019 07:00:52 am
      Saddened with that result,we really should of smashed Manure.As has been mentioned in previous posts Sturridge should not of been a sub for a match of this importance.It is as if he realises his days are numbered at Anfield and he is not prepared to put in the required effort.Just got to hope that JĆ¼rgen can instill the required belief in the squad for the Everton match.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #997: Feb 25, 2019 08:10:31 am
      F**k, still gutted.

Can someone please explain that free kick inside our box in the first couple of minutes. I didn't see what it was for, a FK inside the box why wasn't that a penalty?

Next Oliver gave us so many 50-50 FK's but he didn't see Smalling dragging Matip down in the box and he had direct sight, 10 meters away. WTF??

Can't believe we didn't put them to the sword. Can't remember us even having a decent shot on target. In the end we were lucky they weren't their jammy arseselves because I have to admit, when I saw Smalling waiting for that cross in the last couple of minutes, I was already ready to cry, thinking he was gonna stick it in the back of the net, to F**k us! Thank F**k he's sh*t and he didn't anticipate the ball making it's way through to him.

Imagine the Forum if that had happened!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #998: Feb 25, 2019 08:11:28 am
      F**k, still gutted.

Can someone please explain that free kick inside our box in the first couple of minutes. I didn't see what it was for, a FK inside the box why wasn't that a penalty?

Next Oliver gave us so many 50-50 FK's but he didn't see Smalling dragging Matip down in the box and he had direct sight, 10 meters away. WTF??

Can't believe we didn't put them to the sword. Can't remember us even having a decent shot on target. In the end we were lucky they weren't their jammy arseselves because I have to admit, when I saw Smalling waiting for that cross in the last couple of minutes, I was already ready to cry, thinking he was gonna stick it in the back of the net, to f**k us! Thank f**k he's sh*t and he didn't anticipate the ball making it's way through to him.

So happy weā€™ve got a game quickly this Wednesday to hopefully put things right
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #999: Feb 25, 2019 08:15:06 am
      F**k, still gutted.

Can't believe we didn't put them to the sword. Can't remember us even having a decent shot on target. In the end we were lucky they weren't their jammy arseselves because I have to admit, when I saw Smalling waiting for that cross in the last couple of minutes, I was already ready to cry, thinking he was gonna stick it in the back of the net, to f**k us! Thank f**k he's sh*t and he didn't anticipate the ball making it's way through to him.

It was cos De Gea handled the pass-back.

Personally I think it's as clear a professional foul as you'll see.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1000: Feb 25, 2019 08:37:44 am
      F**k, still gutted.

You sort of just knew the way our two most experienced players handled that free kick what sort of day it was going to be and yup that was probably the highlight for us 😟
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1001: Feb 25, 2019 09:10:34 am
      It was cos De Gea handled the pass-back.

Personally I think it's as clear a professional foul as you'll see.

Thanks mate, that clears it up.

c**t Oliver should still have given us a Pen just to piss them cu*ts off.

You sort of just knew the way our two most experienced players handled that free kick what sort of day it was going to be and yup that was probably the highlight for us 😟

Worst taking of a FK I have ever seen. Was actually embarrassed.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1002: Feb 25, 2019 09:19:43 am
      Thanks mate, that clears it up.

C**t Oliver should still have given us a Pen just to piss them cu*ts off.

Worst taking of a FK I have ever seen. Was actually embarrassed.

It needed to be an indirect mate meaning it needed to be touched by another player.

Don't know why two of them decided to touch it and allow their wall to move but yeah whole thing was a cluster F**k.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #1003: Feb 25, 2019 09:35:46 am
      No complaints. Thought the team showed no bottle.

We sat back against a team with midfield including McTominay and Pereira against a team who had three subs made in the first half with a striker hobbling for the rest.

What incentive more do you need to attack?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1004: Feb 25, 2019 10:14:51 am
      While there were bright spots in this performance like VVD, Fabinho and the point taken, we continued suffering from the same problem we've suffered from for the last 5 or 6 games against stronger opposition who are willing to sit a bit deeper and wait for us.

The idea of making Firmino drop down in order to receive the ball, open spaces for Mane and Salah all while starting the attacks in the final 3rd of the pitch is not working.

Go back and watch the game. Pay close attention to the yards of space between the most advanced midfield player and the front line. Simply too much space. Nobody from the midfield carries the ball in those spaces in order to create something or simply to drive it forward.

The result is that the ball is passed to either one of the wingers who is immediately sandwiched between the opposition's full-back, the returning winger and a player from the midfield. It is the same thing if one of our full-backs made the run. He and our winger get sandwiched between 3 or 4 players with no support.

This is mainly why I wanted Keita to start. By far the only player who gives us relief in term of creativity despite not hitting any heights since he came here. We're going to need to either start giving serious minutes to Keita or give license to players like Gini and Henderson to move much higher than 5 yards past the halfway line. Then again, can Henderson and Gini produce the good when given those tasks?

Edit: Also pay close attention to how none of the midfielders makes any type of supporting run into the opposition's box even when our full-back or winger escaped the pressure and manages to cross the ball into the box. All we have in there is our opposite side winger and the striker who are both easily marked and neutralized by 4 or 5 players from the other team who don't have to worry about any of our midfielders making a run inside their box.

A very good point, there is something very odd with our midfield this year in that they are normally extremely passive and hardly ever run with the ball or attack the opposition area. We seem to treat the midfield primarily as a first line of defense, which explains our superb defensive record but we simply cannot rely on squeaking 1-0's all season, we need to get more attacking movement and link up  from the midfield and that is provided by Keita, Shaq and hopefully soon Ox.
      In the game yesterday I think Klopp set up to get a draw and was unwilling or unable to switch it around after they had their injuries. If anything I think our players are sometimes overcoached and are not able to play football with any freedom or it seems passion. I mean honestly when is the last time we have seen genuine passion from this team? I certainly haven't seen it often this season. Manure yesterday, despite being hit with injuries played far more like a team and played off the crowd, it was impressive and something I miss.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1005: Feb 25, 2019 10:21:38 am
      Only thing lacking yesterday was the final ball.

Mancs defended well, wee mo never got much change out of shaw.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1006: Feb 25, 2019 10:37:31 am
      It needed to be an indirect mate meaning it needed to be touched by another player.

If you tw*t it at goal and it likely takes a deflection off someone into the net I'm fairly sure that makes it legal.

Either way, the two touches were total overkill.  Mata nearly got to the ball before the 'shot'.

Sadly that wasn't even the worst of our free kicks.  Mo Salah's one a bit later in that first half would have been out of reach for a 12 foot keeper.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1007: Feb 25, 2019 10:59:57 am
      If you tw*t it at goal and it likely takes a deflection off someone into the net I'm fairly sure that makes it legal.

Either way, the two touches were total overkill.  Mata nearly got to the ball before the 'shot'.

Sadly that wasn't even the worst of our free kicks.  Mo Salah's one a bit later in that first half would have been out of reach for a 12 foot keeper.

Yes any touch from eithe side would it made it an eligible goal had it ended in the net. Was pointless the second touch.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1008: Feb 25, 2019 11:11:24 am

Our set pieces are awful lately, I'm not sure what's happened there, both corners and freekicks have zero imagination or finesse, its almost like we never practice them, if we do practice them then its even more scary!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1009: Feb 25, 2019 11:15:35 am
      Yes any touch from eithe side would it made it an eligible goal had it ended in the net. Was pointless the second touch.

Does the ball have to roll a certain distance or could it literally be another player tapping the top of it just before the player strikes it? In any case if it needs a touch then how about something crazy like rolling it sideways and back 5 yards to Salah to hammer it at goal or chip over the top to far post and mad scramble etc. I mean just use some F***ing imagination Klopp and coaching team!! A good example was the freekick my West Ham, not super complex just players making runs into space, far to often freekicks in football are utterly predictable, I'd actually get an American football coach in to design some proper plays, I think it would be more worthwile than a throw-in coach!!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1010: Feb 25, 2019 11:17:39 am
      Does the ball have to roll a certain distance or could it literally be another player tapping the top of it just before the player strikes it? In any case if it needs a touch then how about something crazy like rolling it sideways and back 5 yards to Salah to hammer it at goal or chip over the top to far post and mad scramble etc. I mean just use some f**king imagination Klopp and coaching team!! A good example was the freekick my West Ham, not super complex just players making runs into space, far to often freekicks in football are utterly predictable, I'd actually get an American football coach in to design some proper plays, I think it would be more worthwile than a throw-in coach!!

Another player putting a stud on it and not rolling it would have sufficed it was just one of many brainless decisions made during the game.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1011: Feb 25, 2019 11:34:57 am
      The dead balls were rubbish yesterday. As was almost every cross.

I do think these 2 x 10 day breaks have helped with Injuries etc. but not helped with match fluidity etc.

So these next 2 games are massive to get some fluency going again.

Quick Reply