Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man Utd?

Alisson
      32 (29.4%)
       Fabinho
      37 (33.9%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (7.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      8 (7.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      5 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      14 (12.8%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.9%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Feb 28, 2019 03:59:05 pm

Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 41888 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Manchester United 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #1058: Feb 26, 2019 09:04:01 am
      The defence seems to have settled down nicely inspite of the injuries and now the midfield and front line is not functioning as what it should be. Probably something is very wrong with the tactics in midfield, certainly Klopp knows better than me. Crosses and corners  into the opposition box needs a vast improvement immediately, so are the final passes and Mane is the main culprit.

all the doom and gloom, the 3 clean sheets in a row has gone under the radar, even on sky sports last night they were talking about all the draws as a negative, erm, that still means unbeaten and picking up points, and 2 draws were v massive football clubs.

The clean sheets are massive, that sets the base for the attack to relax and play better footi again.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1059: Feb 26, 2019 09:06:34 am
      Yep said that for a while. All the talk yesterday was United's injury hardships. But they brought on Lingard who went off for Sanchez.

Two players who can continue United's style of play from their chosen first XI.

Sadly for us we have Origi and Sturridge who even if they were good enough (they're not) don't suit or match the style Klopp wants to play.

We've cherry picked expensive players to help fill our first XI full of quality. We even have midfield depth with quality on the bench in that area. Next season we need to focus on getting forward players into the squad who compliment what Klopp is trying to do. A 10 type and a man who can play anywhere along the front 3.

Pretty sure Attacking options is the priority this summer. Sturridge will be gone, solanke gone, Origi probably gone. Id expect 1 or 2 big signings, and maybe Ings coming back with young Wilson added back into squad.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1060: Feb 26, 2019 09:08:53 am
      In any other season then a point at old Trafford would be a good one. But after Sunday's draw I can't help but feel like it's two points dropped. That united team is sh*t and with all of their injuries on top I think they were for the taking. We're obviously challenging for the title too and there's very little room for error now. It was a great opportunity for three points.

I'll begin with the starting 11. I wasn't too disappointed seeing the team but I'd have played both Trent and Keita personally, presuming both were fully fit.

I thought the line up was a bit cautious and i think it showed during the match. Milner was in acres of space at times and found himself in some good positions. Unfortunately, he was quite wasteful and had that been Trent then I believe we might have created some better opportunities.

Likewise I thought our midfield was flat. We controlled the game in certain ways but we never really looked like threatening them and we were lacking that creative spark or drive from the middle. This game would have been perfect for naby I think, especially after he's been playing much better recently too.

Anyway, during the game I thought we were poor. We had plenty of the ball but we were just clueless in truth. Our final pass was crap and nobody fancied having a pop at goal. We could still be playing now and we wouldn't have scored.

We were relatively solid and well organised though. They had a couple of moments from set pieces mostly but other than that they didn't trouble us at all. I thought they were quite scared of us and wanted a point from the off. 0-0 was a fair result and it was just a sh*t, boring game and one to forget.

Only other thing to say about the match itself was when Bobby came off, I wouldn't have brought on Sturridge myself. I'd have brought in shaq and put Salah up top. As much as I love Daniel, I think his days are truly numbered now and I'd even go with origi before him.

Won't bother doing player ratings because nobody played particularly well and nobody played THAT bad either. I'd maybe give a special mention to Alisson for his great save. On the negative side then both Milner and Salah were a lot more wasteful than usual but it was just a crap game that we struggled to get into. Nobody played that great.

Was disappointed seeing hendersons reaction coming off. I'm sure the usual suspects on here have brushed it under the carpet but I found it disrespectful to both Jürgen and to shaqiri coming on. No point making a meal out of it, it's just not what id expect from our captain. Hopefully he apologised behind closed doors and we move on from it.

Worrying times for us now. Four draws out of the last five and we've lost our big lead at the top. As I said, there's very little room for error now.  We need to find our spark back and quickly because we've looked very flat in our games recently.

The game against Watford is a must win now. Big pressure on us. A convincing win would really give the lads a much needed confidence boost.

worrying times ?

Top of the league with 11 games to go, getting clean sheets again.

Going away to Bayern with a 0-0 in the bag, gives us a brilliant chance of getting to champions league quarter finals.

Fukin brilliant times mate.

UP THE REDS ! :-)
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1061: Feb 26, 2019 10:58:12 am
      Pretty sure Attacking options is the priority this summer. Sturridge will be gone, solanke gone, Origi probably gone. Id expect 1 or 2 big signings, and maybe Ings coming back with young Wilson added back into squad.
      Here's the thing... The Club said that Klopp will have money to spend in the summer... I'm Hopping that it means the £125 Mil Profit plus the money from transfers...
      But.... Klopp has already stated even before the Bournemouth Game that he will not be spending big in the summer, which for me is a worry... Ings simple is not good enough, and as for a quality striker;something we desperately need how can seamlessly slot into anywhere in front three and be prepared to sit out; or play a bit part in some games allowing us to rest Mane/Salah/Firmino which is going to be a hard ask to fine on a limited spend
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #1062: Feb 26, 2019 11:32:54 am
      worrying times ?

Top of the league with 11 games to go, getting clean sheets again.

Going away to Bayern with a 0-0 in the bag, gives us a brilliant chance of getting to champions league quarter finals.

Fukin brilliant times mate.

UP THE REDS ! :-)

My outlook too.

For me, anything else is just wasted emotional leakage that I try to avoid.

Let’s get on with it.

We’ve never been in a better position to win the Premier League at this point in the season and Bayern are there for the taking.....in my opinion.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1063: Feb 26, 2019 11:42:19 am
      Here's the thing... The Club said that Klopp will have money to spend in the summer... I'm Hopping that it means the £125 Mil Profit plus the money from transfers...
      But.... Klopp has already stated even before the Bournemouth Game that he will not be spending big in the summer, which for me is a worry... Ings simple is not good enough, and as for a quality striker;something we desperately need how can seamlessly slot into anywhere in front three and be prepared to sit out; or play a bit part in some games allowing us to rest Mane/Salah/Firmino which is going to be a hard ask to fine on a limited spend

Ings is a cracking striker, needed a run of games to get his match fitness back, right now, Id take him over studger and origi.

Saying that he may very well make his southampton move permanent.

We definitely need to freshen things up in the forward department next season, there will be big money spent, and there will be youth in the squad with guys like brewster.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1064: Feb 26, 2019 11:42:32 am
      My outlook too.

For me, anything else is just wasted emotional leakage that I try to avoid.

Let’s get on with it.

We’ve never been in a better position to win the Premier League at this point in the season and Bayern are there for the taking.....in my opinion.

Exactly. ;-)

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1065: Feb 26, 2019 12:54:18 pm
      Massive missed opportunity for me. Still being top of the league with 11 games to go is the big picture, so it's not all doom and gloom. But our lack of creativity up front is very worrying. If teams set up to park the bus and play counter attacking football, man marking Salah out of the game, we don't have a plan b and we have to try something different.

I didn't understand why Hendo started ahead of Keita. It's not a criticism of Hendo, but we already have two very capable and athletic defensive midfields in Fab and Gini, so we didn't need Hendo. Keita offers more going forward, a bit of skill and pace to create space for the front 3 - Hendo doesn't have this. Also, like some suggested, I'd have moved Salah up front an put Shaq on the right instead of Studge. Klopp was too cautious today.

In any case, the lack in quality attacking options or creativity was stark. If that little sh** Couts had been a bit more patient and given us one more year, we wouldn't be drawing against these teams intent on parking the bus. Alas, we need a creative no10 and a quality back-up, or even main striker in the summer. The rest of the squad is complete.

Silver lining is that Watford at home is a decent game to get us out the slump. Like I said, still being top at this stage of the season is a massive improvement and Klopp is doing the business overall better than anyone other manager in my opinion. Gotta get going again lads, ynwa.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1066: Feb 26, 2019 02:02:38 pm
      Massive missed opportunity for me. Still being top of the league with 11 games to go is the big picture, so it's not all doom and gloom. But our lack of creativity up front is very worrying. If teams set up to park the bus and play counter attacking football, man marking Salah out of the game, we don't have a plan b and we have to try something different.

I didn't understand why Hendo started ahead of Keita. It's not a criticism of Hendo, but we already have two very capable and athletic defensive midfields in Fab and Gini, so we didn't need Hendo. Keita offers more going forward, a bit of skill and pace to create space for the front 3 - Hendo doesn't have this. Also, like some suggested, I'd have moved Salah up front an put Shaq on the right instead of Studge. Klopp was too cautious today.

In any case, the lack in quality attacking options or creativity was stark. If that little sh** Couts had been a bit more patient and given us one more year, we wouldn't be drawing against these teams intent on parking the bus. Alas, we need a creative no10 and a quality back-up, or even main striker in the summer. The rest of the squad is complete.

Silver lining is that Watford at home is a decent game to get us out the slump. Like I said, still being top at this stage of the season is a massive improvement and Klopp is doing the business overall better than anyone other manager in my opinion. Gotta get going again lads, ynwa.

Klopp just saidy Naby was sick on sunday.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1067: Feb 26, 2019 03:07:34 pm
      all the doom and gloom, the 3 clean sheets in a row has gone under the radar, even on sky sports last night they were talking about all the draws as a negative, erm, that still means unbeaten and picking up points, and 2 draws were v massive football clubs.

The clean sheets are massive, that sets the base for the attack to relax and play better footi again.

Since when were Leicester and West Ham massive clubs? ;-)
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #1068: Feb 26, 2019 03:50:30 pm
      Ings is a cracking striker, needed a run of games to get his match fitness back, right now, Id take him over studger and origi.

Saying that he may very well make his southampton move permanent.

We definitely need to freshen things up in the forward department next season, there will be big money spent, and there will be youth in the squad with guys like brewster.
      I agree he is an improvement on Sturrigde and Origi, but he is still short of what we need... We need a striker at least at the Level or very slightly below that of a on song front three, someone capable for playing across the line, without a notable drop off in effectiveness and quality as what happens when we play Sturrigde or Origi
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #1069: Feb 26, 2019 10:58:54 pm
      Wow. Went all the way back to page 24 to catch up on the post match reactions, got bored after page 27 and here i am. It was a bad performance, i'm not going to argue that, it was as plain as day to see. I'm not going to go into much detail on the selections, substitutions, training camps or even the performances. It is plain to see that this squad is absolutely F***ing knackered, it is blatantly obvious. They are F***ing tired, tired of the demands placed on them due to a very weak squad and an alarmingly obvious drop in quality between the first choice and back up choices.

Excluding pre-season friendlies but inclusive of all domestic cup competitions, Premier League and Champions League games we have amassed a total of 36 games so far.

Firmino has started 30 games but appeared in 36 games.

Salah has started 32 games but appeared in 34 games.

Mane has started 33 games but appeared in 34 games.

With the demands placed on the front three due to our style of play is it any wonder they are F***ing mullered? Would anyone here be starting Origi or Sturridge against United away? Shaqiri i can understand but Sturridge has gone and Origi never even came to be gone.

A multitude of injuries and acclimatisation issues have seen a disjointed midfield for most of the Season, we are still not in a position where we have an established midfield three and the way things are going i don't see any settlement soon. Our defence has been for the most part magnificent, the loss of Gomez though has been significant. Not significant in that we have fallen apart, we haven't. Significant though in the selection of Arnold when Gomez isn't there. I don't think Klopp trusts Arnold enough when the pace of Gomez isn't on the right side of the centre back pairing to compensate for his offensive forays.

Despite all these issues we have still found a way to be sat at the summit of the Premier League, it is astounding.

The engine isn't running smoothly at the moment but if we can get past Watford and Everton before the break then hopefully we get a recharge and a reset. No silly training camps abroad, stay home, head down and work hard.

This is still in our hands, we control our destiny now. That's why i think the point at Old Toilet was so important, it meant we still maintain control.

Now the 'must win' games start. There's no room for error now. Believe Redmen.  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1070: Feb 27, 2019 08:30:00 am
      Quote from DanMann
      Recent results have followed this trend..

Liverpool drop points. Man City close gap.
      Loyalist LFC fans "we are still top".

Sure - Man City may still slip up themselves. But until they do, we cannot.

We need some self belief, and we need to send a message to the other teams.

All they have to do is look at the league table, and the message is there for them.

The darlings of Fleet Street, lost this weekend, for the 7th time, who they insisted were in a title race. We on the other hand, get a point in a fixture we lost last season, and has been a graveyard for many of our hopes down the years, (be it the title, cup or whatever) and there is meltdown.

Before the game, I thought a point was probably the most we would get. Not because we were not good enough, but it was their cup final. So I can't complain too much with what we got and I'm trying to see the positives about it, through all the noise. The game was awful to watch imo. Contrary to all the talk of how much had "changed" with the stand in in charge, they were a Mourinho side in drag, and even with the best ref in the country in charge, we still had the annual penalty appeal turned down, but we got a clean sheet, a good point, and we're top of the league. And I know I said this last year, but I feel more able to say it this year. Please, let this be the very last time we have to go there and get done by referees.

I remember the last time we got a 0-0 there, I know exactly where I was on that Sunday afternoon. Our injury crisis was so severe, there was speculation Souness would have to go on the pitch himself. Instead he didn't, and it was Rob Jones who was the centre of attention on the day. But I was happy with the 0-0, there hasn't been many happy days there since then.

The bigger picture today is we're top of the league. If it finished now, we would be champions. If we win our next 4 games, we will have a minimum 4 point cushion over the rivals. We are also just 9 points shy of our tally for the whole of last season. Oh, and we still have a European Cup campaign to look forward to.

City were expected to cakewalk through the League Cup Final. Instead they needed penalties to limp over the line, picking up injuries on the way. There are 11 games to go and they need more favours to win the league. We're back on top and we're still in a great position to kick on from here. 10 years ago, we lost with a whimper at Middlesbrough, with Ngog and El Zhar unable to kick snow off a rope between them, we were 4 points behind the mancs with a game more played, and another title bid was destroyed. Then we had something to moan about. And many of us did.

When we really have something to moan about now, help yourselves. Until then, get behind those players, appreciate what they do for us, and help them bring that title home. 91 other league clubs would sell you their breakfast lunch and dinner, if they could be in the position we are now, not moaning about what might have been.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1071: Feb 27, 2019 09:21:15 am
      I agree he is an improvement on Sturrigde and Origi, but he is still short of what we need... We need a striker at least at the Level or very slightly below that of a on song front three, someone capable for playing across the line, without a notable drop off in effectiveness and quality as what happens when we play Sturrigde or Origi

yup, we defo need new blood up front, and Im positive it will happen in the summer for our push to retain the title. ;-)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #1072: Feb 28, 2019 09:41:12 am
      Klopp just saidy Naby was sick on sunday.

Then all is forgiven for that comment.

Quick Reply