Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The mental health thread

Read 38524 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: The mental health thread
      Reply #46: Oct 20, 2019 10:29:27 pm
      Hope all is good lads. I've had a mad one the last week with my dad being told chemo is no longer an option. Truth is he's been ill since late June with his bile duct of which delayed his treatment for the cancer he's had for nearly six years. The delay has allowed it to grow of which has led us to this news we got on Wednesday.

In turn, my stress levels have gone through the roof more than normal with it all over the last few months, anxiety, stress, lack of sleep, etc.

Folks, get a good CBD Oil. This stuff has helped me no end and I think everybody should be on it. No Holland and Barrett sh*t, get the good stuff and I guarantee you will get results. Doesn't get you high and you don't have to smoke it and perfectly legal.

https://provacan.co.uk/cbd-oils/natural-cbd-oil-1200-mg/

Sorry to hear that WAHS. Totally agree with JD - it is fantastic your dad has you by his side.

Thanks for the messages lads and hope everyone is doing well themselves.

Just thought I would give everyone an update I think it was due to the stress of a recent promotion and it was stress that lingered in the back ground. I'm definitely going better, I think the main thing is keeping active and having hobbies which help you get out of work mode and allow you to switch off, saying that I need to get back into the gym.

Hope all is well with everyone and hope to be posting on here more frequently again.

Glad to see you are doing well. Keep it up.
      « Last Edit: Oct 20, 2019 10:34:44 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #47: Oct 20, 2019 10:37:13 pm
      Thanks for the messages lads and hope everyone is doing well themselves.

Just thought I would give everyone an update I think it was due to the stress of a recent promotion and it was stress that lingered in the back ground. I'm definitely going better, I think the main thing is keeping active and having hobbies which help you get out of work mode and allow you to switch off, saying that I need to get back into the gym.

Hope all is well with everyone and hope to be posting on here more frequently again.

Great news. I am in the situation at work where if i go for promotion it involves customer contact and that is something i have done previously and frankly i really don't think i could cope with that anymore. I am just about bubbling under at the moment. I am leaving my current team to go back to my old team which is a real blow as my current lot are a cracking bunch. So glad to hear that you are doing better.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #48: Oct 20, 2019 10:46:04 pm
      Great news. I am in the situation at work where if i go for promotion it involves customer contact and that is something i have done previously and frankly i really don't think i could cope with that anymore. I am just about bubbling under at the moment. I am leaving my current team to go back to my old team which is a real blow as my current lot are a cracking bunch. So glad to hear that you are doing better.

Thanks mate, I hear you every day at work I feel like I'm just about coping and the only saving grace is I really enjoy working with the team I manage. The company culture is toxic however and really undermines the positivity I have towards my team, it's annoying.

Times outside of work are now more important to me than ever and its led me to be a lot more selective with what I do, if I think I need a day in bed, I'll take it, if I want to go for a couple of drinks I'll go etc, I have realised those few days off to yourself are what can really impact your stress levels overall.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #49: Oct 20, 2019 10:57:03 pm
      Thanks mate, I hear you every day at work I feel like I'm just about coping and the only saving grace is I really enjoy working with the team I manage. The company culture is toxic however and really undermines the positivity I have towards my team, it's annoying.

Times outside of work are now more important to me than ever and its led me to be a lot more selective with what I do, if I think I need a day in bed, I'll take it, if I want to go for a couple of drinks I'll go etc, I have realised those few days off to yourself are what can really impact your stress levels overall.

Absolutely spot on.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #50: Oct 20, 2019 10:58:45 pm
      Really enjoyed reading some of the posts in here and how open people are!

Attended my first session of seven on Friday with a councillor to work on my severe anxiety I can experience in social environments and work on my proneness to overthink and make up situations in my head.

Was a really insightful experience and find my self looking forward to my next session. It was like she was in my brain, everything I feel she was putting it into simple terms I couldn’t quite do myself. I left feeling much better just after the first one.

Also on her advice from my induction before the first session, took up swimming and feel much better for that too.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #51: Dec 06, 2019 06:42:52 pm
      Really enjoyed reading some of the posts in here and how open people are!

Attended my first session of seven on Friday with a councillor to work on my severe anxiety I can experience in social environments and work on my proneness to overthink and make up situations in my head.

Was a really insightful experience and find my self looking forward to my next session. It was like she was in my brain, everything I feel she was putting it into simple terms I couldn’t quite do myself. I left feeling much better just after the first one.

Also on her advice from my induction before the first session, took up swimming and feel much better for that too.

Could do with something like that. With Christmas coming up just feel like i am going to go down a long empty tunnel
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #52: Dec 07, 2019 08:26:51 pm
      Could do with something like that. With Christmas coming up just feel like i am going to go down a long empty tunnel

Just try and be positive mate,it will work out for you and you will see things in a different light.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #53: Dec 07, 2019 09:32:05 pm
      Just try and be positive mate,it will work out for you and you will see things in a different light.

Hope so mate
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #54: Dec 07, 2019 10:33:31 pm

Sorry to hear you are feeling that way mate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #55: Dec 07, 2019 10:39:30 pm
      Sorry to hear you are feeling that way mate.

Yeah. Just come back after a heartbreaking day at the hospital. Apparently my dad is in the delirium stage after a stroke.imagining seeing things and generally confused and making no sense. Coming home to an empty house full of despair, worried about life, money everything,  my work manager asking indirectly how soon i would be back (missed one day).feel like i have failed as a person, son etc. Hadn't been feeling too great anyway. Won't keep on and bore everyone
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #56: Dec 08, 2019 07:58:52 am
      Yeah. Just come back after a heartbreaking day at the hospital. Apparently my dad is in the delirium stage after a stroke.imagining seeing things and generally confused and making no sense. Coming home to an empty house full of despair, worried about life, money everything,  my work manager asking indirectly how soon i would be back (missed one day).feel like i have failed as a person, son etc. Hadn't been feeling too great anyway. Won't keep on and bore everyone

Feel for you mate, look it may seem like your whole world's collapsing around buddy but YOU need to stay Strong, 
      I'm sorry about your old fella, I hope he recovers somewhat, Everyone has at some point in their lives go through a really sh*t time, whether it's a bereavement,  or life threatening illness, or in your case your dad having a stroke,
      Keep calm mate, and be there for your dad, mentality your stronger than you think,  talk to the professionals caring for your dad, they'll have seen it all before and know answers to questions and give good advice.

Remember,  Stay Strong bro !

YNWA
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #57: Dec 08, 2019 08:12:06 am

Chin up pal think positive.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #58: Dec 08, 2019 09:10:42 am

Not boring anyone FK. I lost my Dad on 3rd November and the build up to all that was f**king horrendous. Sh*t is hard, mate, but with the best possible intention at heart, you've gotta be there for people, keep busy and be as tough as you can because things will get better down the line. Most importantly, though, when you need to vent off and you're finding it tough; talk. Like you are. DM me should you want to talk about anything. I mean that. You certainly won't bore me, mate.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #59: Dec 08, 2019 09:12:47 am
      Not boring anyone FK. I lost my Dad on 3rd November and the build up to all that was f**king horrendous. Sh*t is hard, mate, but with the best possible intention at heart, you've gotta be there for people, keep busy and be as tough as you can because things will get better down the line. Most importantly, though, when you need to vent off and you're finding it tough, talk. Like you are. DM me should you want to talk about anything. I mean that. You certainly won't bore me, mate.

Thank you.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #60: Dec 08, 2019 09:40:46 am

Sorry to hear about this mate.

Keep going and your dad and things will get better.

Times like this make you stronger and will ease over time.

Good luck

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #61: Dec 09, 2019 02:25:48 pm

Much love to you you FK.
      It can be tough when loved ones are suffering or are ill.

Know that it's ok to feel overwhelmed at times but that those moments will pass.
      If you can invest some time in things you activities you enjoy or sports etc you are good at it helps a little to allow the brain to work away while getting some endorphins into you.
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #62: Dec 09, 2019 08:55:02 pm
      Made an appointment back at the psychiatrist that I haven’t seen in about 16 months. Had a horrific experience on Friday and after hiding away a bit over the weekend and chatting to a few people close to me took the plunge to go back to him.

Had been to this doc previously because I was having these paranoid delusions where I draw a reference or interpretation from innocuous events and put them into some paranoid delusion where I’m feeling persecuted. He had prescribed me last time I saw him anti psychotics and anti depressants but I walked out there and decided he didn’t know what he’s on about and threw them away, mostly because I was I denial about what he’d told me I think.

Anyway, had a few paranoid episodes since but on Friday at work had a terrible experience and ended up having to leave, think my behavior was coming off very strange which made going back in today a little awkward. Had been out the night before for a few drinks, first time in a while and it had a horrific impact on me. Literally only had 3 beers but was a late night which I’ve tended to avoid because I know it leaves me feeling down the next day.

Bit devastated to be honest because I genuinely thought I was passed this and one of the reasons I never took the medication previously was that the dr had said I would have to be on it potentially for life.

Cant help feeling that I’m only 27 and this is not how I want to live my life, having to battle these constant delusions and remind myself it’s in my head, it’s exhausting. It’s lore tiring trying to fight off the paranoia than actually having the delusion. Not seeing the Dr till Jan so going to take it easy until then and see how it goes once on the meds I guess.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #63: Dec 10, 2019 09:56:41 am
      Made an appointment back at the psychiatrist that I haven’t seen in about 16 months. Had a horrific experience on Friday and after hiding away a bit over the weekend and chatting to a few people close to me took the plunge to go back to him.

Had been to this doc previously because I was having these paranoid delusions where I draw a reference or interpretation from innocuous events and put them into some paranoid delusion where I’m feeling persecuted. He had prescribed me last time I saw him anti psychotics and anti depressants but I walked out there and decided he didn’t know what he’s on about and threw them away, mostly because I was I denial about what he’d told me I think.

Anyway, had a few paranoid episodes since but on Friday at work had a terrible experience and ended up having to leave, think my behavior was coming off very strange which made going back in today a little awkward. Had been out the night before for a few drinks, first time in a while and it had a horrific impact on me. Literally only had 3 beers but was a late night which I’ve tended to avoid because I know it leaves me feeling down the next day.

Bit devastated to be honest because I genuinely thought I was passed this and one of the reasons I never took the medication previously was that the dr had said I would have to be on it potentially for life.

Cant help feeling that I’m only 27 and this is not how I want to live my life, having to battle these constant delusions and remind myself it’s in my head, it’s exhausting. It’s lore tiring trying to fight off the paranoia than actually having the delusion. Not seeing the Dr till Jan so going to take it easy until then and see how it goes once on the meds I guess.

Have you tried periods off alcohol to see if it helped or does it stay the same?
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #64: Dec 10, 2019 10:39:58 am
      Have you tried periods off alcohol to see if it helped or does it stay the same?

I’ve never gone tee total, but significantly reduced how much alcohol I drink over the last 18 months or so. Very rarely have a drink during the week and on weekends if I go out I’ll be home before midnight and have probably 5-6 beers. But I’m not out every weekend, it’s few and far between. Started having a much healthier lifestyle after my first ‘proper’ breakdown and it’s made massive improvements, think this one on Friday caught me off guard a bit.

Think it’s more brought on when I’m under stress for significant periods of months at a time, had a lot going on recently so going to try find ways to relax a little more.

Although relaxing is difficult when the national power provider has just announced rolling blackouts for up to 13 hours a day :D
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #65: Dec 10, 2019 10:50:37 am
      I’ve never gone tee total, but significantly reduced how much alcohol I drink over the last 18 months or so. Very rarely have a drink during the week and on weekends if I go out I’ll be home before midnight and have probably 5-6 beers. But I’m not out every weekend, it’s few and far between. Started having a much healthier lifestyle after my first ‘proper’ breakdown and it’s made massive improvements, think this one on Friday caught me off guard a bit.

Think it’s more brought on when I’m under stress for significant periods of months at a time, had a lot going on recently so going to try find ways to relax a little more.

Although relaxing is difficult when the national power provider has just announced rolling blackouts for up to 13 hours a day :D

Have you got a hobby mate? That is a great way to keep your mind off of your feelings and a way to focus on something else, especially if it's one you need to train/practice at.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #66: Dec 10, 2019 02:51:48 pm

I've made my mind up to go back training in the New Year.
      Not much point promising to clean up right before Christmas.
      People I know swear by running or Box Gyms if that helps.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #67: Dec 10, 2019 02:56:34 pm

Hi mate, our situations are different but I understand what you're saying. What I would say is don't be so hard on yourself for 'messing up'. We all make mistakes and you'll only end up compounding the issue by beating yourself up. I'm hesitant to give detailed advice because everyone is different and I don't know the ins and outs, but it sounds like you've a habit of a downward spiral of thoughts, which you just can't let yourself get into just because you had an episode. Focus on what you've done well, and the progress you've clearly made.

On the psychiatrist, again it is personal, I can't speak for sure, but if you're not confident in their diagnoses, try and get a second opinion. It might be useful to try psychotherapy (talk therapy) as well. Mindfulness has been an invaluable tool for me personally. With that said, some aspects of mental health respond incredibly positively to medication, and I wouldn't rule it out for you personally. Also, remember there are many different types of medication and not all work the same for everyone. It might be a learning process to begin with finding what works for you.

However you go about it, don't beat yourself up man. You're clearly on the right track and a set back is just that, it's a set back and nothing more. Sometimes you've gotta step back to find a way around. Good luck bro
      RedWilly
      • Started Topic

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #68: Dec 10, 2019 08:43:23 pm
      Cheers lads. On the sports/hobbies, I’d actually started back at the gym last week before this happened so going to try keep that up. Do need to try find a proper hobby though, it’s always revolves around sports for me but feel a bit over that now and would like to try something new.

Done therapy before as well and found it really useful but felt it ran its course largely as I got to a lot of underlying issues. This stuff more creeps up on me and by time I realize I’m already pretty far down the rabbit hole. Think Friday is probably the 3rd or 4th time since my only ‘proper’ breakdown where I’ve had these delusions happen.

Feeling a bit unsure about how to approach it all to be honest but feeling a little better today because I think I’m finally at a point where I need to take active steps. Will see how next few weeks go and take it from there
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2019 08:51:35 pm by RedWilly »

Quick Reply