Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Everton?

Alisson
      3 (2.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (1.9%)
      Joel Matip
      5 (4.7%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      87 (81.3%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.9%)
       Fabinho
      4 (3.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (2.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      1 (0.9%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Voting closed: Mar 07, 2019 06:06:36 pm

Everton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 34939 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Everton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #667: Mar 04, 2019 08:05:13 am
      I think people are doing a big disservice to both Man Utd and Everton, both those fixtures are incredibly hard for us every single year. Yes on paper we should have won both and yesterday we really should have beaten Everton with the chances we created but just didn't have the rub of the green, it happens. The more disappointing results were Leicester and West Ham but it would have been inconceivable to go the whole season without a slip up.
      I saw more than enough in the Watford game to convince me that we can win 9 games on the bounce but the team need to play good positive football and no more of this negative midfield setup. I understand perfectly why we started Hendo yesterday as it was a physical match but he seems totally lost at times and interrupted the rhythm, especially at the start. We have to start at least one creative midfielder from now on, either Keita, Shaq or Ox, we have to have more penetration from midfield otherwise the forwards are all to easily neutralised.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #668: Mar 04, 2019 08:06:15 am
      A serious question here, did you prefer to play 5 a side instead of watching your team fight for the top spot, if so can I ask why?

I play every week so itā€™s a commitment I have made to my friends.
      More important to watch the Reds or play - personally it would always be playing - I can always watch the match later.

Plus getting to an age where I probably only got a few more years so I enjoy the playing that bit more.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #669: Mar 04, 2019 09:28:22 am
      It's up to the lads and JĆ¼rgen to put that smile back on our faces....hopefully they can shrug off this sh*t run of form and go on a 9 game winning streak.
      It's not too much to ask now is it God? We've been good ....we have waited 30 f**king years...shine some light down our way, will ya?

Feels like it's gradually slipping, and it's torture - REALLY need to start winning again, and fast.
      Do NOT watch to be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, not this time.

I'm not normally a praying man, but I'll take any help where we can get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft7wEehEMdo
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #670: Mar 04, 2019 09:57:27 am
      The difference between us and City a lot of times this season has been the fact they've got the balls to play what are effectively two or three 10's in their midfield in these sorts of games.

We always seem to play it safe.

There's a massive difference between a midfield of Fernandinho, Silva and De Bruyne or Gundogan, Silva, De Bruyne vs. Fabinho, Henderson and Wijnaldum.

I wonder sometimes if we stuck to the principle of playing only 1 of Fabinho or Henderson how many less draws we'd pick up along the way.

Too many times we get pulled into a game of lump ball when we should be passing teams off the park.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #671: Mar 04, 2019 10:19:46 am
      If you can't have some faith... That has nothing to do with reality... City are playing better than us. City's quality in the squad is better than ours, They can ford Sane sitting on the bench who would waltz, as would most of their bench, they have been reeling of victory after victory for the last six games plus while we have drawn 4 of the last six. If it was say City and Utd and you were betting on it you would be betting City all the way, for you would see the reality of things, but because it is Liverpool you refuse to see it and think if you believe hard enough it will happen....

If we had more quality on the bench I might, just might believe we still had a chance but with what we have,CL and all I can't see us doing it

You really don't get it. It's a 1 point difference, with 9 games to go. If you think it's all over you're not pessimistic, realistic, or whatever bullshit you might tell yourself. You're thick.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #672: Mar 04, 2019 10:25:16 am
      I think people are doing a big disservice to both Man Utd and Everton, both those fixtures are incredibly hard for us every single year.

I think people were expecting us to walk the league! After the prefect start and that converted position at Christmas and year end.

Shall I go further to say that the same people have no confidence in the same lads who got us to the TOP of the league at Christmas? Yes itā€™s true because they have more confidence in City not dropping points than anything else.

Itā€™s called self mental conflict, mental weakness or mental illness - they expected the lads to walk the league which they kind of believed but has now become dead confident that City will not drop a single point.

Itā€™s doing my head in and Iā€™ll get mental illness meself in no time if I allow ā€œcity not dropping pointsā€ to turn into gospel truth.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #673: Mar 04, 2019 10:43:36 am
      One thingā€™s for sure, rather be where we are than cheering for a team of nobodies that time waste and celebrate a draw in a derby. Screw that. Iā€™ll take the ups and downs of a title race and a champions league trophy any day over that. Pathetic bunch the neighbors are.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #674: Mar 04, 2019 10:50:06 am
      City are playing better than us. City's quality in the squad is better than ours... ...I can't see us doing it.

So what? And so was Milan in the first half of Istanbul. And Milanā€™s quality... forget it - what Smicer? Out of pace Hamman? Traore? Baros who? Kewell actually started? Oh but we had Stevie, Xabi, Sami, and Jamie. Yea we didnā€™t play with 5 men ya know...

I guess you were probably born yesterday?

I donā€™t know about you. You might want to give up now. Be our guest. Just be very aware that there will be many of us who wonā€™t. Weā€™re mentally stronger because weā€™ve experienced Istanbul, Olympiakos, Cardiff FA Cup Final, the Gerrard Final... Stevie may be the common denominator but the point is we fans never give up.

For others itā€™s sport, for us this is a way of life. But if you do happen to throw in the towel now, just make sure you donā€™t celebrate with us when we win it. Itā€™s your choice mate... You decide. Are you coming with us or not?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #675: Mar 04, 2019 10:52:16 am
      If some have sh*t bed so what donā€™t let that distract from what has been a great season so far and fingers crossed come May it may be a brilliant season.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #676: Mar 04, 2019 11:13:09 am
      You're comparing our stats from 29yr ago with this years and saying things are totally different these days, then quoting a Legends statement from Yrs ago, try using a modern legends quote like 'WE GO AGAIN' 
      This ain't over its 90 mins 11 v 11 x 38 Roll on May 12th!

No, I'm not. I'm debunking the person that is. Read the original post in the quote.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #677: Mar 04, 2019 11:17:46 am
      If some have sh*t bed so what donā€™t let that distract from what has been a great season so far and fingers crossed come May it may be a brilliant season.

It will only be a great season if we win something mate.

If we come runners up in the PL and CL it will just go down as another disappointing "almost" season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #678: Mar 04, 2019 11:24:45 am
      It will only be a great season if we win something mate.

If we come runners up in the PL and CL it will just go down as another disappointing "almost" season.

Maybe for you but think about it overtaking a juggernaut that is City!

If they have the Silvaā€™s playing poorly they bring on De Bruyne, Sterling or Sane they have Mahrez etc.

Nothing subtle about that sort of play itā€™s a sledgehammer style which no one can financially compete with in this league not even Utd with their revenue stream.

Until UEFA crack down on their cheating that is the situation.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #679: Mar 04, 2019 12:29:48 pm
      You really don't get it. It's a 1 point difference, with 9 games to go.

Indeed mate, perspective is so difficult to come by these days, but hey we're a passionate lot and we're desperate for this league. Klopp said in an interview that the first generation to win after almost 30 years have it the hardest, once the monkey is off our back, it'll become easier. But to be in this position against the gazillionnaires of City at this stage of the season is unbelievable still.

City had their blip, they lost 3 games against bottom half teams, and we're having our blip now. I'm as frustrated as everyone else, we should have been bolder, more aggressive, start with Shaq instead of Origi and thrown the kitchen sink at them in the last ten minutes as the United teams of yesteryear used to. Very frustrated at the moment. But it's still one point in it with 9 games to go.

I'm going to remain positive and all I ask for from our team is a bit more belief on the pitch. We're being too conservative too often, and we're not attacking the games with the champions mentality away from home at mo. Hopefully that draw will be the end of our blip, gotta keep going. YNWA lads.
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      Reply #680: Mar 04, 2019 01:57:36 pm
      What is the point of paying all of that money for Keita if you can't trust him in games like these? And what has Lallana done to warrant a spot over Shaqiri? You're playing in the Merseyside derby and you're desperate for a goal. Shaqiri provides the ability to unlock defenses with his passes and runs and Keita has the ability to drive the MF forward and join the attack. He's one of our few Pool midfielders who can actually add goals.

Klopp really dropped the ball yesterday.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #681: Mar 04, 2019 02:04:19 pm

If they have the Silvaā€™s playing poorly they bring on De Bruyne, Sterling or Sane they have Mahrez etc.

Nothing subtle about that sort of play itā€™s a sledgehammer style which no one can financially compete with in this league not even Utd with their revenue stream.

Yes but none of that excuses our poor form over the last 8 weeks.

What City do with the players they have when they aren't playing us is their own business.

We also have a very strong squad but we're not making the most of it whether it's through nerves or poor team selection. There is no excuse to have drawn 4 in the last 6. 2 maybe but 4 is down to bottle and nothing else. Remember we are only in one other competition, City were in 4 up to last week.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #682: Mar 04, 2019 02:57:04 pm
      klopp moaning about the wind

he isnt helping us with his talk

Is it the Brendan influence (now that he is nearer to Liverpool than he was before)? Is one of Brendan's condition that he must start talking rubbish otherwise Brendan will move into his home? I wonder. Never see Klopp talk such nonsense as he has done for last couple of weeks.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #683: Mar 04, 2019 03:22:12 pm
      I think people are doing a big disservice to both Man Utd and Everton, both those fixtures are incredibly hard for us every single year. Yes on paper we should have won both and yesterday we really should have beaten Everton with the chances we created but just didn't have the rub of the green, it happens. The more disappointing results were Leicester and West Ham but it would have been inconceivable to go the whole season without a slip up.
      I saw more than enough in the Watford game to convince me that we can win 9 games on the bounce but the team need to play good positive football and no more of this negative midfield setup. I understand perfectly why we started Hendo yesterday as it was a physical match but he seems totally lost at times and interrupted the rhythm, especially at the start. We have to start at least one creative midfielder from now on, either Keita, Shaq or Ox, we have to have more penetration from midfield otherwise the forwards are all to easily neutralised.

Exactly 2 away draws in the 2 derby games, 4 points each from Utd & Everton, aint a bad return.

Our final ball and shooting was just a fraction out yesterday, thats it nothing else.

Salah got into great positions, but his touch was as bad as I've seen it. Wont happen again, he is due to start scoring for fun again.

Also before VVD & Allison, all these draws weve got would have been defeats, we would be fighting it out for 4th without the improvements in defense.

Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #684: Mar 04, 2019 03:24:34 pm
      Just heard that apparently Jim White was at the match yesterday and sat next to Kenwright and Moshiri.
      Just after the final whistle they got a text off Man City congratulating them on the result and saying thanks!
      Letā€™s stick two fingers up to them both and win the bl**dy thing! YNWA.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #685: Mar 04, 2019 03:27:25 pm
      Just heard that apparently Jim White was at the match yesterday and sat next to Kenwright and Moshiri.
      Just after the final whistle they got a text off Man City congratulating them on the result and saying thanks!
      Letā€™s stick two fingers up to them both and win the bl**dy thing! YNWA.

We will win & itā€™s going to be the sweetest title win ever..
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #686: Mar 04, 2019 03:54:38 pm

That is clutching at straws mate to make yourself feel little bit better. I bet you (we) were not saying that in January.

What hurts most is the way we are giving away points (to my pessimistic self - the title). If we don't win PL then the thing that would hurt is that we didn't go for it. We went ahead by 7 points and for some reason we decided to play 'safety first'. We have seven points in bag - we are okay, 5 points ahead - we are okay, 3 points ahead - we are okay, and so on. It wouldn't hurt as much as it does right now  if we had tried to beat teams down and may be lost a couple.

Anyway, I an inconsolable today because I wanted (I know it is past tense and we have 9 games left to play) to see us win a PL.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #687: Mar 04, 2019 03:56:32 pm
      He used to love Hendo, Milly and Gini and I didn't like that.

It now appears to he Fab, Hendo and Gini and I dislike that too.

We need at least one central midfielder who can break the line and that was Keita for me in this game. The three we had were too far away from the front three and they were easier to deal with.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #688: Mar 04, 2019 03:56:55 pm
      Think the negativity of setting up as LFC has done away against big opponents has cost valuable points against both United and Everton.

Understandable against teams like City or Munich, but that midfield 3 against Everton really stifled the team.

Any other year a point away would probably be good enough, but this isn't any other year.

Should have been a shift to 4-2-2-2. Bring on Keita or Shaqiri.

At a loss to why Henderson is in there and Lallana comes on.

Lost for words really.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #689: Mar 04, 2019 04:04:30 pm
      I looked at the teams left and honestly, we suffered against good squads/teams whom defended deep and countered. West Ham, Utd, Leicester, Everton defended deep really and countered. Today was a bit different as they inclusion of Origi and then bringing on Lallana and Milner to change things was never going to help us.  Of all the teams left only Chelsea and Tottenham have the quality to defend deep and counter against us.  Chelsea might try and do it, I don't think Tottenham will. Against the team left we could run up cricket scores. I think maybe Roy and Rodgers might try and do us a favour. Utd are in the hunt for top 4 so you never know.
      This time of the season the teams in and around the relegation zone become the hardest to get three points from, every player in those teams want to either show their usefulness hoping that if thier team goes down so one in the premier League or a team coming up will buy them, or they can stave off relegation's and keep drawing the big bucks... so for them is about pick up every point they can from those not in and around that zone and beating those who are. There simple is no easy game against these teams

Quick Reply