Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

We are set up not to lose a game

Read 11615 times
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts | 53 
      We are set up not to lose a game
      Mar 05, 2019 01:27:38 pm
      The big change from last seasons heavy metal football is that we are now set up to be more conservative and make sure we don't lose.  This has become more evident the last couple of months with maybe a bit of pressure now on to win the league and us dropping points.

The questions is does Klopp take the shackles off and get back to how we played last season and put more emphasis on wining a game rather than not losing it.  I think we have more to lose by not wanting to lose a game rather than going full throttle till the end of the season.

CMON You REDMEN!!!!!

:kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Re: We are set up not to lose a game
      Reply #1: Mar 05, 2019 01:31:21 pm
      We've won 21 games so far and at this point last season had only won 17 while losing more.

We might not look as attacking as last season but the way we're approaching games has got better results.

I wouldn't be looking to change much at this stage.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2: Mar 05, 2019 01:34:23 pm
      We've won 21 games so far and at this point last season had only won 17 while losing more.

We might not look as attacking as last season but the way we're approaching games has got better results.

Exactly.

A 1-0 win is worth the same points as a 4-0 win.
      The points are the important thing.

I think people got a bit spoiled last season with the attacking football, and forget the amount we conceded.
      We're a much better team this season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #3: Mar 05, 2019 01:43:32 pm
      Totally agree, but we are not getting the 1 - 0 wins we need to convert the draws into wins.

In the last couple of games maybe. Don't forget those are big games that are always going to be tight.

It seems you're focusing on recent form and not the season as a whole.

Like I said we've won 4 more games and lost fewer than at the same point last season.

I know which I prefer no matter what the football 'looks like'.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #4: Mar 05, 2019 01:43:32 pm

Exactly.

A 1-0 win is worth the same points as a 4-0 win.
      The points are the important thing.

I think people got a bit spoiled last season with the attacking football, and forget the amount we conceded.
      We're a much better team this season.

Totally agree, but we are not getting the 1 - 0 wins to turn draws into wins.
      « Last Edit: Mar 05, 2019 11:35:19 pm by JD »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #5: Mar 05, 2019 01:45:37 pm
      Only lost 1 league game all season. Superb.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #6: Mar 05, 2019 01:47:03 pm

And yet we still have a little crowd of posters whining.
      It's bizarre.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #7: Mar 05, 2019 01:47:21 pm
      In the last couple of games maybe. Don't forget those are big games that are always going to be tight.

It seems you're focusing on recent form and not the season as a whole.

Like I said we've won 4 more games and lose fewer than at the same point last season.

I know which I prefer no matte what the football 'looks like'.

If you look at the season as a whole we are way off the form we were at and recent results including West Ham we should have done better.  My concern is that nothing will change and we will drop too many points.

Let me say, i really hope i am proven wrong on this.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #8: Mar 05, 2019 01:48:34 pm
      It's bizarre.

I'm not whining, just posting a thought!!
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Mar 05, 2019 01:50:45 pm
      It's bizarre.

I'm not whining, just posting a thought!!

haha, I know you're not mate.
      And to be fair, it's a decent question, but to me a team is all about balance, and we've nearly got that right now.

DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,694 posts | 880 
      Reply #10: Mar 05, 2019 01:51:58 pm

It is superb.

But - If Man City end up winning the title having lost 4 times... it won't be all that brilliant.

If the ambition is to set a record for lost games, then fair enough. But I do believe we set our ambition on the title this year.

Spurs sit in 3rd place having lost 8 times! A bit of edge in our draws may have caused us to lose, but likewise could have been the difference in achieving victories. Could have been like City... lost 4 games, but top of the table.  :f_whistle:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #11: Mar 05, 2019 01:57:05 pm
      It is superb.

But - If Man City end up winning the title having lost 4 times... it won't be all that brilliant.

If the ambition is to set a record for lost games, then fair enough. But I do believe we set our ambition on the title this year.

Spurs sit in 3rd place having lost 8 times! A bit of edge in our draws may have caused us to lose, but likewise could have been the difference in achieving victories. Could have been like City... lost 4 games, but top of the table.  :f_whistle:

The OP sets out that he feels we're set up not to lose this season but we've won more games than we did at this point last season.

I don't think we're set up not to lose just to be more compact and not have to score 3 or 4 goals to win a game.

City have only won 2 more games than us and only a point better off.

There's every chance that if we were as open as last season the draws we've got recently could be defeats.

Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #12: Mar 05, 2019 01:57:26 pm
      And to be fair, it's a decent question, but to me a team is all about balance, and we've nearly got that right now.

The team is without doubt better balanced and i agree we are almost there, but we don't seem to have the knack/luck of turning a draw into a win.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Mar 05, 2019 02:00:19 pm

The team is without doubt better balanced and i agree we are almost there, but we don't seem to have the knack/luck of turning a draw into a win.

It's football mate.
      sh*t happens.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Mar 05, 2019 02:12:45 pm
      It is superb.

Agree its always a weird phenomenon with draws and losses v points scenario.

But weve came so far since last season, a lot of the 1-0 wins would have been draws last season and a lot of draws this season would have been losses last season. So its all positive for me.

And as noted above the balance in the team is better, were just going through a wee spell where the attack is just a wee level below its usual high standards.

I fully expect us to start smashing all comers now.

Still 50/50 between us & city for the league, possible advantage us due to their Injuries and Fixture list.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Mar 05, 2019 03:58:07 pm

It’s not how many games you lose in a season, it’s how many you win and despite City having lost 3 more games than us, they’ve won an extra 2 and a as a result, now have the title in their hands instead of chasing us.
      We lost just 2 games in 08/09 and didn’t win the league, there’s every chance now that we could only lose 1 game this season and not win it again.

I’d happily swap a couple of draws for defeats if it meant we’d have had an extra couple of wins as well.

Quite often it’s the draws that cost a team the title and as it stands, that is once again the case for us.

Though, I doubt they’d have ever been a team to get the points total we are in for, lose 1 game and still not win the league. It’s just our rotten luck that when we finally get so far ahead of everyone in the league and get such a points tally, it’s along with one other team.

For what it’s worth, it’s not the games vs Spurs or the Mancs where I think there is a chance City could drop points, I think the best chance of it happening is when they visit Palace.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Mar 05, 2019 04:59:24 pm
      At the moment this title is in nobody's hands. Even the horse racing analogy doesn't stack up so well. City have a one point advantage...two counting goal difference. still everything to play for.

Sitting in a room somewhere...in nobody's hands.
      CT_LFC

• 6,800 posts | 1399 
      Reply #17: Mar 05, 2019 05:03:45 pm

But it's those god damn draws that kill you. Maybe FIFA can get rid of draws like in MLB or NBA :) jk
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,505 posts | 709 
      Reply #18: Mar 05, 2019 05:47:20 pm
      stop listening to alcoholic pundits and reading twitter.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Mar 05, 2019 06:02:52 pm
      stop listening to alcoholic pundits and reading twitter.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #20: Mar 05, 2019 06:19:07 pm
      People here comparing is to last season where we won nothing is outrageous. Instead of comparing they should look at our run of form.  Drew 4 out of last 6. We'll be 4 points behind on Saturday and there's a goal difference to consider too. I can only imagine the gap getting bigger not smaller. Last time City didn't win a league game was January, we've drew 4 since then.
      « Last Edit: Mar 05, 2019 06:23:46 pm by Ribapuru »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4894 
      Reply #21: Mar 05, 2019 06:33:06 pm
      People here comparing is to last season where we won nothing is outrageous. Instead of comparing they should look at our run of form.  Drew 4 out of last 6. We'll be 4 points behind on Saturday and there's a goal difference to consider too. I can only imagine the gap getting bigger not smaller. Last time City didn't win a league game was January, we've drew 4 since then.

Comparing to last season as the OP specifically mentions the change from last seasons style to this and how it's affecting results.

Sorry to be so 'outrageous'
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #22: Mar 05, 2019 08:07:15 pm

I keep asking the same question, Do the results have more to do with VVD,Allison and Fab' more than how Klopp has us playing... Guess it can not really be answered because Allison and Fab' joined this season while VVD midway through last ....

If we want to lift the title this season go back to the Heavy Metal football of last season and trust in VVD,Allison and Fab to do thier jobs

Quick Reply