Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

We are set up not to lose a game

Read 11496 times
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Re: We are set up not to lose a game
      Reply #92: Mar 07, 2019 06:50:31 pm
      Chelsea got Higuian, West Ham got Nasri, Leicester got Tielemans, Arsenal got Denis Suarez, City got Palaversa, we got rid of players.

Wow, West Ham got Nasri he is really ripping the Premiership apart. We got a new tea lady at Anfield much better deal. Stop clutching at straws and move on, we didn't sign anyone.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #93: Mar 07, 2019 06:50:33 pm
      Chelsea got Higuian, West Ham got Nasri, Leicester got Tielemans, Arsenal got Denis Suarez, City got Palaversa, we got rid of players.

So out of the teams competing with us for the title City got Palaversa 😂.

You don’t do yourself any favours do you and you wonder why people think you’re a plonker!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #94: Mar 07, 2019 06:59:34 pm
      It is one thing not losing games, but too many draws, simply mean dropping too many points in the title race.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #95: Mar 07, 2019 07:23:57 pm
      Only 9 PL matches left...

2017/18
      Salah     44
      Firmino  27
      Mane     20
      Coutinho 12   [half a season]

2018/19
      Salah     20
      Mane     15
      Firmino  11

Think the striker stats bear out what we've seen this season, Mo and Bob well below their hauls from last season - while Sadio could improve on his.  Tough for Jürgen as the 3 lads have only clicked for periods of time this season.

Fair enough, the midfield could chip in with more - BUT Hendo/Gini/Milly have scored pretty much the same as last season, so their goal numbers this year should be no surprise.

Bigger prob than them is we didn't manage to replace Coutinho's goals [and creativity] from the middle. Plus Emre also scored more goals than Ox lasy year - obviously it would be great to have AOC available, but won't expect massive things as he was still behind those guys score wise, and would be coming back after off a really long layoff.

Keita/Fab/Shaq have 7 goals between them - Keita none. Maybe could have given them more time, but don't think Fab is going to score many anyway, not his game, Shaq has been a sub, and Ketia has been injured/out of form majority of the time.

Our defense is unrecognisable though. Excellent back there now :) VVD is nailed on for player of the year, and is the best CB in football. Keeper, FBs excellent too. And Gomez when fit. But in general, Matip and Lovren have filled in OK - to the extent that defense is not a concern.
      We've not needed to score as many goals to win the same number of points [on average], which is just as well.

4 draws from last 6. Think Citeh won last 5 in PL.
      Don't think Jürgen will be relying on 'things changing quickly in football' - he'll be looking at things and trying to figure out how HE can change them. Could we see more of Keita/Shaq in the midfield? Maybe play Mane in the middle, Origi on left, and Firmino in behind? Drop Matip, and play Fab in there to play more accurate balls over the top? Not start Mo?
      Just not sure we can keep playing the same and just expect things to change.

Dunno, just really hope we can turn this round. With CL matches, makes it more likely have to give other guys a bit more time. Just hope if/when they get their chance, they grab it with both hands and make a real impact. We NEED those guys to contribute, can't rely on the same guys all the time, and expect they'll have a season long purple patch.

Whatever happens though this season, Jürgen is still the man :)
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #96: Mar 07, 2019 07:30:35 pm

Bigger prob than them is we didn't manage to replace Coutinho's goals [and creativity] from the middle. Plus Emre also scored more goals than Ox lasy year - obviously it would be great to have AOC available, but won't expect massive things as he was still behind those guys score wise, and would be coming back after off a really long layoff.

Which team(s) had more points than Liverpool from Jan-May of last season after we sold Cuntinho?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #97: Mar 07, 2019 08:48:42 pm
      It is one thing not losing games, but too many draws, simply mean dropping too many points in the title race.

look at the league table dog. Drawing 7 games of 29 is not drawing 'too many' games. By any stretch of the imagination.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #98: Mar 07, 2019 09:08:21 pm
      Which team(s) had more points than Liverpool from Jan-May of last season after we sold Cuntinho?

Was just saying there that when looking at goals from midfield, we don't have as many not because the guys we have are scoring less compared with last season, rather the ones that came in [replacing the ones that left] didn't get close to the numbers of the ones that left.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #99: Mar 07, 2019 09:56:42 pm
      Only 9 PL matches left...

2017/18
      Salah     44
      Firmino  27
      Mane     20
      Coutinho 12   [half a season]

2018/19
      Salah     20
      Mane     15
      Firmino  11

Think the striker stats bear out what we've seen this season, Mo and Bob well below their hauls from last season - while Sadio could improve on his.  Tough for Jürgen as the 3 lads have only clicked for periods of time this season.

Fair enough, the midfield could chip in with more - BUT Hendo/Gini/Milly have scored pretty much the same as last season, so their goal numbers this year should be no surprise.

Keita/Fab/Shaq have 7 goals between them - Keita none. Maybe could have given them more time, but don't think Fab is going to score many anyway, not his game, Shaq has been a sub, and Ketia has been injured/out of form majority of the time.

Our defense is unrecognisable though. Excellent back there now :) VVD is nailed on for player of the year, and is the best CB in football. Keeper, FBs excellent too. And Gomez when fit. But in general, Matip and Lovren have filled in OK - to the extent that defense is not a concern.
      We've not needed to score as many goals to win the same number of points [on average], which is just as well.

4 draws from last 6. Think Citeh won last 5 in PL.
      Don't think Jürgen will be relying on 'things changing quickly in football' - he'll be looking at things and trying to figure out how HE can change them. Could we see more of Keita/Shaq in the midfield? Maybe play Mane in the middle, Origi on left, and Firmino in behind? Drop Matip, and play Fab in there to play more accurate balls over the top? Not start Mo?
      Just not sure we can keep playing the same and just expect things to change.

Dunno, just really hope we can turn this round. With CL matches, makes it more likely have to give other guys a bit more time. Just hope if/when they get their chance, they grab it with both hands and make a real impact. We NEED those guys to contribute, can't rely on the same guys all the time, and expect they'll have a season long purple patch.

Whatever happens though this season, Jürgen is still the man :)

Yeah those stats are interesting. One thing is that we are very reliant on our front 3. I mean the stats for this season are still actually not bad (they're just a long way off last season), but cos we have so few goals coming from elsewhere the relative drop in form of the front 3 hurts us more than it would.

I think that drop in goals is partly down to tactics - Jürgen has rebalanced us to be a bit more conservative, and we are defensively a lot stronger, partly as a result of that rebalancing. Partly though, it is also the individual form of the front 3 has dipped as well. It's pretty hard to do anything about the latter. But we could definitely do with a true attacking midfielder playing in front of 2 engine room midfielders, rather than playing 3 engine room types. Keita in particular I would like to see get more game time. He's been hit and miss when he's played, but he's not been that bad that he's way behind the other midfielders - and he should get some goals ( it's a shame a couple of those beauties that he hit earlier in the season didn't get saved - would have really kickstarted him I think).

Another thing is that as things stand with Keita not having played much is that we still don't know if he is going to a key player for us next season or not. Might not seem a priority right now, but come the summer Jürgen is going to have to decide do we need another AM. I'd be playing Keita more anyway, for the reason above, but a secondary factor would be just finding out whether or not we need another AM next season or not.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #100: Mar 08, 2019 09:20:45 am
      Exactly
      From +7 to -1 in standings because the team can't put the ball in the net. Not verses top PL teams. Not vs CL teams on European soil.
      But reading these willfully ignorant /head in the sand deniers who view all ties as grand results.....priceless.
      The elite teams of the world who go after 3 and 4 trophies each season treat ties with disdain. Cucked LFC fans who haven't tasted real glory in multi decades cling to low expectations.
      Fans satisfied with ties deserve these ties.
      BeJesus!  Hope McEnroe clatters you!!!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #101: Mar 08, 2019 09:21:49 am
      Well looked up on t'internet!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #102: Mar 08, 2019 10:06:06 am

erm what?????????????
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #103: Mar 08, 2019 11:19:44 am
      The big change from last seasons heavy metal football is that we are now set up to be more conservative and make sure we don't lose.  This has become more evident the last couple of months with maybe a bit of pressure now on to win the league and us dropping points.

The questions is does Klopp take the shackles off and get back to how we played last season and put more emphasis on wining a game rather than not losing it.  I think we have more to lose by not wanting to lose a game rather than going full throttle till the end of the season.

CMON You REDMEN!!!!!

:kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpoolwz0:

No we’re not.

We’re the second highest scoring team with the best defensive record of any top 5 league side.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #104: Mar 08, 2019 11:25:50 am
      No we’re not.

We’re the second highest scoring team with the best defensive record of any top 5 league side.

We're also a team with 3 draws in our last 5 matches, a tweak is needed, just a very small adjustment in midfield to give an extra attack dimension.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #105: Mar 08, 2019 11:37:32 am
      We're also a team with 3 draws in our last 5 matches, a tweak is needed, just a very small adjustment in midfield to give an extra attack dimension.

Those three draws were against Bayern Munich,  Man United and Everton. So two of the toughest aways of the season and a game against one of the traditional big sides in European football.

The other two games in the 5 we won 3-0 and 5-0.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #106: Mar 08, 2019 11:41:57 am
      Really setting the place on fire 🔥 that lot Sami fckin Nasri
      JHC
      Should be renamed the straw and clutching thread .
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #107: Mar 08, 2019 12:20:29 pm
      BeJesus!  Hope McEnroe clatters you!!!

:laugh:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #108: Mar 08, 2019 12:27:04 pm
      Those three draws were against Bayern Munich,  Man United and Everton. So two of the toughest aways of the season and a game against one of the traditional big sides in European football.

The other two games in the 5 we won 3-0 and 5-0.

Yes I'm not all doom and gloom about it, we are a very good team, but in all three of the games we drew we played a quite passive midfield.  I think that in all three of those games if Keita had played, and played well, then we would have created more chances to score without sacrificing much defensively. I believe it would have turned those draws into wins.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #109: Mar 08, 2019 12:41:40 pm
      Yes I'm not all doom and gloom about it, we are a very good team, but in all three of the games we drew we played a quite passive midfield.  I think that in all three of those games if Keita had played, and played well, then we would have created more chances to score without sacrificing much defensively. I believe it would have turned those draws into wins.

Nail on head there, you said if Naby plays well , it’s a big if so far his form has been very sporadic , I think his form has been one of the biggest disappointments so far , I’m sure he’ll come good but likely that could be next season .
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #110: Mar 08, 2019 01:18:31 pm

Nicely said.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #111: Mar 08, 2019 02:33:14 pm
      Nail on head there, you said if Naby plays well , it’s a big if so far his form has been very sporadic , I think his form has been one of the biggest disappointments so far , I’m sure he’ll come good but likely that could be next season .

He's been playing better lately and in any case he offers a more attacking threat than Henderson, Milner, Gini or Fabinho. The only way he'll improve is with games same as Fabinho.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #112: Mar 09, 2019 09:48:55 am
      But we could definitely do with a true attacking midfielder playing in front of 2 engine room midfielders, rather than playing 3 engine room types. Keita in particular I would like to see get more game time. He's been hit and miss when he's played, but he's not been that bad that he's way behind the other midfielders - and he should get some goals ( it's a shame a couple of those beauties that he hit earlier in the season didn't get saved - would have really kickstarted him I think).

Another thing is that as things stand with Keita not having played much is that we still don't know if he is going to a key player for us next season or not. Might not seem a priority right now, but come the summer Jürgen is going to have to decide do we need another AM. I'd be playing Keita more anyway, for the reason above, but a secondary factor would be just finding out whether or not we need another AM next season or not.

Agree on the attacking midfielder, that we will likely sign one in the summer. Even look at Pogba, has 14 goals so far this season already. We were close to getting Fekir last summer, so it's a player Jürgen is looking to sign anyway. AOC will come back, but he's prone to injury, and doesn't get into the scoring figures of a Cou or similar player.

On Keita, think he'll get another season. Has shown in flashes that he has the ability. Though never know what's going on behind the scenes. He seemed to be almost about to get a steady run of games until he was left out 3 or 4 games ago, and we've not seen him since. Surely though will start either the Burnley or Bayern matches.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #113: Mar 09, 2019 09:57:22 am
      Pretty much where I’m at with him,I personally expected a bit more from him like many fellow reds but looking at it philosophically  some players hit the ground running and have an instant impact but some just take longer to find there feet,it’ll click with him of that I have no doubt.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #114: Mar 09, 2019 12:25:13 pm
      Pretty much where I’m at with him,I personally expected a bit more from him like many fellow reds but looking at it philosophically  some players hit the ground running and have an instant impact but some just take longer to find there feet,it’ll click with him of that I have no doubt.

I agree regarding Keita but even a slightly misfiring Keita offers more in attack than Hendo, Milner and Gini. I think until Ox comes back we should be playing Keita or possibly even Shaq, I think he could maybe do a decent job as AM, he certainly has an eye for goal.

Quick Reply