Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League very important for confidence

Read 4075 times
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness
      • Started Topic

• 364 posts | 112 
      Champions League very important for confidence
      Mar 07, 2019 10:02:26 am
      I don't understand some fans saying that they would like to see us exit the Champions League in order to focus on the league.

If anything, this would have a negative impact and lessen our chances of winning the title in my eyes - it's a confidence game and that would be a big hit to our squad morale.

We could find ourselves out the league run-in if things go south and then nothing left to fight for.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: Champions League very important for confidence
      Reply #1: Mar 07, 2019 11:10:18 am
      I don't understand some fans saying that they would like to see us exit the Champions League in order to focus on the league.

If anything, this would have a negative impact and lessen our chances of winning the title in my eyes - it's a confidence game and that would be a big hit to our squad morale.

We could find ourselves out the league run-in if things go south and then nothing left to fight for.

Completely agree.

Momentum is everything and the momentum of us getting through to the next stage, in my opinion, would no doubt improve the team's confidence and have morale booming.

If we went out, I think some players may let their heads drop for a bit too long and it may affect us negatively in the last run of games for the league.

We are Liverpool FC we should be more than capable to compete for both the PL and the CL!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2: Mar 07, 2019 11:22:57 am

Spot F***ing on - winning games is everything
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Mar 07, 2019 12:00:59 pm
      Whether you agree with him or not Tompkins did an excellent piece earlier in the season about how CL affects league form.
      He showed pretty clearly that the further a team goes in the CL, the more their league form suffers.
      Of course it affects some teams to a greater extent than others, but the correlation was pretty clear.

This is just for info.
      Take from it what you will.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4: Mar 07, 2019 12:06:48 pm

Completely agree.

Momentum is everything and the momentum of us getting through to the next stage, in my opinion, would no doubt improve the team's confidence and have morale booming.

If we went out, I think some players may let their heads drop for a bit too long and it may affect us negatively in the last run of games for the league.

We are Liverpool FC we should be more than capable to compete for both the PL and the CL!

I can understand all though I don't necessarily agree. Winning the league (( this season )) far more important than CL. It's nearly 30 years and all though both would be nice priority without doubt Premier League.

It's a double edge sword and a dilemma, all though a very nice one to be in.

You could argue your squad not big enough in debt to play at the highest levels in both competitions to win both.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #5: Mar 07, 2019 12:22:42 pm
      I can understand all though I don't necessarily agree. Winning the league (( this season )) far more important than CL. It's nearly 30 years and all though both would be nice priority without doubt Premier League.

It's a double edge sword and a dilemma, all though a very nice one to be in.

You could argue your squad not big enough in debt to play at the highest levels in both competitions to win both.

Could also argue that the pressure of only competing for the PL could get to the players.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #6: Mar 07, 2019 12:52:41 pm

Correct.

We should be able to cope with league games and some champions league games.

Esp. if winning.

We can go for both no worries.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #7: Mar 07, 2019 01:14:42 pm
      Correct.

We should be able to cope with league games and some champions league games.

Esp. if winning.

We can go for both no worries.

Yes we do that every year. So what's the problem so big that we've to concentrate on the league? 

What's changed to prompt this idea? Just because we're anxious of winning the league?
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #8: Mar 07, 2019 02:02:22 pm
      Whether you agree with him or not Tompkins did an excellent piece earlier in the season about how CL affects league form.
      He showed pretty clearly that the further a team goes in the CL, the more their league form suffers.
      Of course it affects some teams to a greater extent than others, but the correlation was pretty clear.

This is just for info.
      Take from it what you will.

Yea I'd generally agree mate. In our case, I don't think it applies just yet. We've had 4 draws out of 6 in the past month or so and only 1 CL game. We're clearly going through a general blip uncorrelated to CL in this case. Just hope we snap out of it quickly.

Tompkins' analysis will probably be more relevant later. No way in hell would I want to deprioritize CL for league, both equal in priorities in my opinion - I do realize that's not what you're arguing against anyway mate.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Mar 07, 2019 02:05:58 pm
      Yea I'd generally agree mate. In our case, I don't think it applies just yet. We've had 4 draws out of 6 in the past month or so and only 1 CL game. We're clearly going through a general blip uncorrelated to CL in this case. Just hope we snap out of it quickly.

Tompkins' analysis will probably be more relevant later. No way in hell would I want to deprioritize CL for league, both equal in priorities in my opinion - I do realize that's not what you're arguing against anyway mate.

Just throwing it out there for info to be honest mate.

In my view, we should be able to manage well enough, given we have so many midfield options, with Ox also coming back at some point.
      I've identified the midfield, because in previous seasons where we've had a rough patch, it's been because the midfielders are knackered.

Hypothetically though, if asked which I would prefer to win out of the 2, it would be the league.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #10: Mar 07, 2019 02:40:33 pm

If anything, this would have a negative impact and lessen our chances of winning the title in my eyes

I've got a lot of time for this opinion that maybe I didn't before.  I think that Wolves FA Cup defeat in January did knock the stuffing out of us.  Especially coming so close to the Man City game.

It may not have been the 'first team' involved but football is such a confidence game that it must have had an impact.

Two wins in the next six days please redmen.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Mar 07, 2019 03:23:55 pm
      Yes we do that every year. So what's the problem so big that we've to concentrate on the league? 

What's changed to prompt this idea? Just because we're anxious of winning the league?

yup, and stupid pundits putting stupid ideas into soft lads heeds. ;D.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #12: Mar 07, 2019 03:26:03 pm
      I've got a lot of time for this opinion that maybe I didn't before.  I think that Wolves FA Cup defeat in January did knock the stuffing out of us.  Especially coming so close to the Man City game.

It may not have been the 'first team' involved but football is such a confidence game that it must have had an impact.

Two wins in the next six days please redmen.

being out of league and FA cup so early meant less games for the fringe guys, meaning they were less match sharp.

Im not sure the 2x10 day breaks helped us that much apart from getting injured players closer to fitness.

It has made our 2019 season very stop start ad interrupted some of the fluidity in our play.

You would always rather be in every comp. for as long as possible.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #13: Mar 07, 2019 05:09:55 pm
      Hypothetically though, if asked which I would prefer to win out of the 2, it would be the league.

Yep, so would I mate. Just don't agree with people who say we should deprioritize CL. It sounds like  suggesting we should sacrifice one for the other. We go for both with equal gusto and winning mentality. The league is clearly what we're all dreaming of.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #14: Mar 07, 2019 05:22:06 pm
      Old Proverb:

Do not put all your eggs in one basket:
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #15: Mar 07, 2019 05:41:37 pm
      Its been a phenomenal season. Confidence should be fine. Pundits and fans are the ones 'bottling' it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #16: Mar 07, 2019 05:52:35 pm
      Champions League is the priority now because league is no longer in our hands. 9 games to go it's in City's hands unfortunately. It's theirs too lose now and it's very unlikely that will happen.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #17: Mar 07, 2019 06:45:32 pm
      There was a time I'd have took a defeat in this game if it meant we could solely focus on the league. The league title bid is now looking like it's getting away from us. (Again it isn't the points 1 behind is nothing) but our form compared to Cities since Feb doesn't make great reading.

The upshot is this competition ia back on my radar at least (I dont think the club itself ever took it's eye off it). This is about as realistic chance as the league now so it would be daft to happily exit at this stage.

Again I don't think we have the squad for both but in the coming weeks it might become evident based on results in both of these competitions just where our focus should lie. If we go through against Bayern then lose a few in the league then the focus may switch. Obviously if we lose next week then the decision has been made for us to go for the league until it's a mathematical impossibility.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #18: Mar 07, 2019 10:40:16 pm
      We have the Team to win both Competitions. Let's F***ing go for it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Mar 08, 2019 09:03:07 am
      Champions League is the priority now because league is no longer in our hands. 9 games to go it's in City's hands unfortunately. It's theirs too lose now and it's very unlikely that will happen.

;D brilliant, best negative post ever in the history of negative posts.

1 point behind so league is over. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #20: Mar 08, 2019 09:07:21 am
      There was a time I'd have took a defeat in this game if it meant we could solely focus on the league. The league title bid is now looking like it's getting away from us. (Again it isn't the points 1 behind is nothing) but our form compared to Cities since Feb doesn't make great reading.

The upshot is this competition ia back on my radar at least (I dont think the club itself ever took it's eye off it). This is about as realistic chance as the league now so it would be daft to happily exit at this stage.

Again I don't think we have the squad for both but in the coming weeks it might become evident based on results in both of these competitions just where our focus should lie. If we go through against Bayern then lose a few in the league then the focus may switch. Obviously if we lose next week then the decision has been made for us to go for the league until it's a mathematical impossibility.

Imagine city drop points this weekend, we could go top again. U just dont know.

Its all on for both comps.

People keep talking about February form and the draws, we have drawn with some massive clubs and very good teams. Bayern ffs. keeping a clean sheet v them was awesome, away to the mancs was a good draw, away to the everton was a good draw.

Yes we would have wanted to with those games, but hey were unbeaten and still well in the league title race, and in with a great shout of knocking the big germans out.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #21: Mar 08, 2019 09:11:17 am
      I don't think we have the squad for both
      Think this is being overplayed as the number of matches between now and the end of the season isn't THAT excessive!

From 10th March (our next league game) to 12th May (our final league match) we play 9 league matches and a maximum (hopefully!) of 5 CL matches (up to the semi-final 2nd leg).  That's 14 matches in 9 weeks.

Surely we have a team/squad that can cope with that schedule??!!!

The CL final isn't until 3 weeks later on 1st June.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2019 09:17:03 am by skamp »
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #22: Mar 08, 2019 09:16:03 am
      Imagine city drop points this weekend, we could go top again. U just dont know.

Its all on for both comps.

People keep talking about February form and the draws, we have drawn with some massive clubs and very good teams. Bayern ffs. keeping a clean sheet v them was awesome, away to the mancs was a good draw, away to the everton was a good draw.

Yes we would have wanted to with those games, but hey were unbeaten and still well in the league title race, and in with a great shout of knocking the big germans out.
      Agreed !  We've kept 5 successive clean sheets, having not conceded since 4th Feb, which is remarkable at this stage of the season.

We just need to start moving the ball quicker in midfield and amongst the front 3.  The old Liverpool adage of "pass & move" will see us back on a roll again.

I've got a good feeling about the next 2 months, and this board may well be a lot quieter in 5-6 weeks (the naysayers going AWOL!).

Come on you MIGHTY REDS!!!!

Quick Reply