Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Champions League very important for confidence

Read 4070 times
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Re: Champions League very important for confidence
      Reply #23: Mar 08, 2019 11:47:16 am
      We are Liverpool we must always try and win the European Cup. I understand that given a choice 99% of  us would probably take winning the league but at the moment we are behind and whilst City could easily drop points they're just as likely to win every game just with the strength of their squad. As much as I'm desperate for the PL title I'd be equally as made up with the CL...
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #24: Mar 08, 2019 12:09:33 pm
      Whether you agree with him or not Tompkins did an excellent piece earlier in the season about how CL affects league form.
      He showed pretty clearly that the further a team goes in the CL, the more their league form suffers.
      Of course it affects some teams to a greater extent than others, but the correlation was pretty clear.

This is just for info.
      Take from it what you will.

I thought going out of the league cup and FA Cup would have a positive effect on our chances of winning the league but that hasn't really transpired. In fact our form after these breaks to Dubai and Spain has been nothing short of poor. A win would be massive for us although, given the squad i'm not sure it would be the best thing in the world to draw a United or City in the next round. Am hoping we get through and that they draw eachother. that sort of game could be just the distraction for City in the league.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #25: Mar 08, 2019 12:12:50 pm
      The way these things pan out you just feel should we get through it will be city , same as the Chelsea era we always got pulled together ,
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #26: Mar 08, 2019 12:14:55 pm
      Agreed !  We've kept 5 successive clean sheets, having not conceded since 4th Feb, which is remarkable at this stage of the season.

We just need to start moving the ball quicker in midfield and amongst the front 3.  The old Liverpool adage of "pass & move" will see us back on a roll again.

I've got a good feeling about the next 2 months, and this board may well be a lot quieter in 5-6 weeks (the naysayers going AWOL!).

Come on you MIGHTY REDS!!!!

Yup we have a solid base again for the front guys to relax and play a lot more freeier I feel, and as klopp has said we have created plenty chances to win some of those draws, Salah's mini dry spell wont last.

Folk have also not given Mane enough credit recently for being brilliant, he has stepped up again.
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #27: Mar 08, 2019 02:55:06 pm
      In 2017-18, the difference in prize money between 1st place MNC and 4th place LFC was 5.8 million pounds (1.9 mill between 1st and 2nd). In other words, negligible, especially when compared to the massive prize + market pool money available in the CL.
      Fans may cling to such foolishness that losing in the CL is a blessing, but no owner would punt on an opportunity to rake in such an enormous financial windfall.
      Begging for a CL knockout ?
      Declaring LFC's string of nil/nil ties "good results" as they the team drops 8 points in the standings?
      Hope the team shows more fight than some of its fans

Regardless, such conversation is meaningless if this team can't manage even a single goal in its matches
      « Last Edit: Mar 08, 2019 03:00:02 pm by Borg »
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #28: Mar 08, 2019 03:20:44 pm
      In 2017-18, the difference in prize money between 1st place MNC and 4th place LFC was 5.8 million pounds (1.9 mill between 1st and 2nd). In other words, negligible, especially when compared to the massive prize + market pool money available in the CL.
      Fans may cling to such foolishness that losing in the CL is a blessing, but no owner would punt on an opportunity to rake in such an enormous financial windfall.
      Begging for a CL knockout ?
      Declaring LFC's string of nil/nil ties "good results" as they the team drops 8 points in the standings?
      Hope the team shows more fight than some of its fans

Regardless, such conversation is meaningless if this team can't manage even a single goal in its matches
      Foot fault!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #29: Mar 08, 2019 05:09:04 pm
      Iā€™m believer of not focusing on one or the other where the CL and the league are concerned. I can happily let go the domestic cups if it really will benefit our season but not one of the other two. The level of teams you play against in Europe can really give you a big boost going into your next league game if you get the win. Vice versa too.

Take Napoli in December for example, that was a make or break game for our CL campaign, lose it and we spend Thursday nights being god knows where playing in terrible pitch conditions and having it impact our league games just a few days later. Yet, we won that game in the middle of a very hectic schedule, where we had 4 more games in a short space of time, against some tough teams; United, Wolves and Arsenal along with Newcastle. If we hadnā€™t beaten Napoli then I think it would have smashed our confidence and I really donā€™t think weā€™d have gone the whole Xmas period winning every game and the chances are, weā€™d be more than 1 point behind now.

Beat Bayern and providing we can avoid injury, it will give us more confidence and momentum. Last season we were winning in Europe but struggling in the league towards the end because we didnā€™t have the squad to manage the situation properly, where as now we are better equipped and we can use both competitions to bounce off of each other and hopefully go the rest of the season winning every game.

The 2 biggest competitions in club football, I really canā€™t condone the likes of Neville saying you have to throw one of them to concentrate on the other. If we donā€™t win the league then Iā€™d at least like to be able to soften that blow by becoming kings of Europe again.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #30: Mar 09, 2019 02:40:54 am
      Try telling stuff like this to the Boot Room Boys. Ronnie Moran would tell you to f*ck off quick, fast, and in a hurry.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #31: Mar 09, 2019 09:30:44 am
      Take Napoli in December for example.

If we hadnā€™t beaten Napoli then I think it would have smashed our confidence and I really donā€™t think weā€™d have gone the whole Xmas period winning every game and the chances are, weā€™d be more than 1 point behind now.
      I agree with the whole post, but Napoli was a Christmas game. If we didn't win that it would have been impossible to win every game over that period regardless of confidence down to the fact even every game won but Napoli would have meant we wouldn't have won every game.

Sorry to nit pick, but to win every game over the Christmas period that included Napoli.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #32: Mar 09, 2019 12:48:05 pm
      I agree with the whole post, but Napoli was a Christmas game. If we didn't win that it would have been impossible to win every game over that period regardless of confidence down to the fact even every game won but Napoli would have meant we wouldn't have won every game.

Sorry to nit pick, but to win every game over the Christmas period that included Napoli.

Why are you even ā€œnit-pickingā€? The fact I put about how I donā€™t think weā€™d have just been the 1 point behind makes it quite clear I was talking about our league games.
      Iā€™m fully aware if weā€™d have lost to Napoli we wouldnā€™t have gone the entire period winning every game we played. But Iā€™m talking about the effects from that game onwards.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness
      • Started Topic

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #33: Mar 11, 2019 10:25:46 am
      Let's keep that confidence rolling and sweep aside Bayern :aaliverpool2xt1:

Quick Reply