Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      6 (5.2%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (0.9%)
       Fabinho
      2 (1.7%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      56 (48.3%)
      Sadio Mane
      32 (27.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (4.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      12 (10.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      1 (0.9%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Voting closed: Mar 14, 2019 01:54:09 pm

Liverpool 4-2 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25946 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Liverpool 4-2 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Mar 10, 2019 04:20:20 pm
      That principle also applies to you ...

Oh don't take offence, I'm just SAYING IT AS IT IS.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #530: Mar 10, 2019 04:25:00 pm
      Of course they will. Even there manager and players have said they will do everything to prevent lpool winning.

Have they really?
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #531: Mar 10, 2019 04:31:21 pm

You didn’t know? Very credible article on BlueMoon discussing the matter.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #532: Mar 10, 2019 04:33:23 pm
      You didn’t know? Very credible article on BlueMoon discussing the matter.

Nope, barely have enough time to post on here at times never mind trawling through other clubs sites.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #533: Mar 10, 2019 04:34:18 pm
      Yes they will not lift a leg v city. There manager has said it be his worst nightmare and united fans will be cheering city. Anyway that's further down the line.  Today we won so alls good. Still mad at Watford and Bournemouth putting out reserve teams vcity. Hooe that dosent become a patrern
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #534: Mar 10, 2019 04:34:24 pm
      Happy with the 3 points, happy with Lallana's performance and I'm happy for him too. However, despite Lallana's performance, I don't think I saw anything that indicates a change in the way we play that might help us against tougher opposition.

Still over-relying on the opposition being bad enough for us to bypass the need for creativity and midfielders who carry the ball deep into the opposition's half by giving the ball to an isolated Mane or Salah for them to create a spark all while dealing with 2 or 3 players being on their shoulders.

At this point, I'm past getting excited by a win over Burnley at home. We've struggled all year against anybody with enough quality in their squad/manager to figure out and deal with the fact that we're playing with 3 blocks (defense, midfield, offense) that are separated from each other.

No excuse for starting games with both Milner and Henderson on the pitch when we needed the 3 points especially that before the last spell of matches on the bench for Keita the lad was growing into form and proved to be the only player available that can give us creativity and carry the ball forward.

We're going to seriously struggle, at the very least, against Bayern as well as Tottenham and Chelsea.

LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #535: Mar 10, 2019 04:36:13 pm
      Nope, barely have enough time to post on here at times never mind trawling through other clubs sites.

Dammit my sarcasm didn’t quite come across there.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #536: Mar 10, 2019 04:37:31 pm
      Dammit my sarcasm didn’t quite come across there.

Sorry mate totally missed that. ;D

Yes they will not lift a leg v city. There manager has said it be his worst nightmare and united fans will be cheering city.

Don't believe that for a second.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #537: Mar 10, 2019 04:39:41 pm
      Happy with the 3 points, happy with Lallana's performance and I'm happy for him too. However, despite Lallana's performance, I don't think I saw anything that indicates a change in the way we play that might help us against tougher opposition.

Still over-relying on the opposition being bad enough for us to bypass the need for creativity and midfielders who carry the ball deep into the opposition's half by giving the ball to an isolated Mane or Salah for them to create a spark all while dealing with 2 or 3 players being on their shoulders.

At this point, I'm past getting excited by a win over Burnley at home. We've struggled all year against anybody with enough quality in their squad/manager to figure out and deal with the fact that we're playing with 3 blocks (defense, midfield, offense) that are separated from each other.

No excuse for starting games with both Milner and Henderson on the pitch when we needed the 3 points especially that before the last spell of matches on the bench for Keita the lad was growing into form and proved to be the only player available that can give us creativity and carry the ball forward.

We're going to seriously struggle, at the very least, against Bayern as well as Tottenham and Chelsea.

After a well-earned win and 3 points, this is the garbage you come up with? FFS
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #538: Mar 10, 2019 04:58:58 pm

Yep, we're so bad that we're a point from the top having scored the exact same amount of goals after 30 games as we did last season having conceded far less.

Don't seem to be having too much trouble breaking many sides down at all.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #539: Mar 10, 2019 05:03:21 pm
      Sorry mate totally missed that. ;D

Don't believe that for a second.
      Anyway we need to get maximum points fro our last 8 games then we see. If city are to drop points it won't be at the toilet
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #540: Mar 10, 2019 05:08:10 pm
      Anyway we need to get maximum points fro our last 8 games then we see. If city are to drop points it won't be at the toilet

Disagree. It's one of the games they may well drop points.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #541: Mar 10, 2019 05:10:42 pm
      Did not see the game, obviously important win for the Reds. I cannot judge MOTM, look forward to watching the highlights later tonight.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #542: Mar 10, 2019 05:24:56 pm
      Disagree. It's one of the games they may well drop points.
      Can't see it against prob a reserve United team. Anyway be irrelevant if we don't win our games and spurs fighting for a top 4spot and Ali and kane back willnot be easy and Chelsea at anfield is never straightforward. Anyway that's for another day. Today is a good one. Hopefully fifa now will dock city a few points and find them guilty in flouting all financial fair play.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #543: Mar 10, 2019 05:30:27 pm
      Yep, we're so bad that we're a point from the top having scored the exact same amount of goals after 30 games as we did last season having conceded far less.

Don't seem to be having too much trouble breaking many sides down at all.
      Or you could say that we're so good we've let a 9 points lead slide while doing nothing to fix the main problem that has been causing the slide. I don't go for this ''we've won so let's close our eyes and pretend we have no problem'' mentality and it's not every time that somebody comes up with a critical point of view that we have to act as if it was blasphemy. You can see good things in a bad game and the bad things in a good game. In either situation, it's not a crime to mention it.

I'm not mad or anything. Just giving my opinion about what I'm seeing and what I'm seeing is that we're still struggling to create anything for the lads up front or link up with them deep in the opposition's half other than through the overlapping fullbacks when we are facing teams with quality lineups and managers which is a big problem at this point of the season considering we went from 9 points clear to trailing city by a point.

The thing that makes it all so frustrating is not the players, but the fact that its tactical decisions that are leading to this. Sure Gini gets upfront against Burnley while we're trailing, but he also disappeared into a defensive role at 2-1. We also field him, Milner and Henderson against any stronger opposition and seemingly give them clear instructions to not get forward all while Keita and Shaqiri are sitting on the bench.

Yet somehow, mentioning this is considered negative while ignoring it and pouring a ton of tactically inaccurate/uneducated (don't consider myself a football mastermind or anything) crap over Mane, Firmino, and Salah after each game we should've won and they've been offered nothing to play with other than a mistake or two from the opposition is okay.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #544: Mar 10, 2019 05:33:12 pm
      (don't consider myself a football mastermind or anything)

Let's just leave it there shall we?
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #545: Mar 10, 2019 05:48:44 pm
      Or you could say that we're so good we've let a 9 points lead slide while doing nothing to fix the main problem that has been causing the slide. I don't go for this ''we've won so let's close our eyes and pretend we have no problem'' mentality and it's not every time that somebody comes up with a critical point of view that we have to act as if it was blasphemy. You can see good things in a bad game and the bad things in a good game. In either situation, it's not a crime to mention it.

I'm not mad or anything. Just giving my opinion about what I'm seeing and what I'm seeing is that we're still struggling to create anything for the lads up front or link up with them deep in the opposition's half other than through the overlapping fullbacks when we are facing teams with quality lineups and managers which is a big problem at this point of the season considering we went from 9 points clear to trailing city by a point.

The thing that makes it all so frustrating is not the players, but the fact that its tactical decisions that are leading to this. Sure Gini gets upfront against Burnley while we're trailing, but he also disappeared into a defensive role at 2-1. We also field him, Milner and Henderson against any stronger opposition and seemingly give them clear instructions to not get forward all while Keita and Shaqiri are sitting on the bench.

Yet somehow, mentioning this is considered negative while ignoring it and pouring a ton of tactically inaccurate/uneducated (don't consider myself a football mastermind or anything) crap over Mane, Firmino, and Salah after each game we should've won and they've been offered nothing to play with other than a mistake or two from the opposition is okay.

I agree about lacking a creative midfield player and that our forwards are sometimes having to create their own chances. This might be something that is addressed in the summer window. But not sure that is relevant to the performance? We’ve just seen an incredible game from Lallana who made a huge difference today. 23 shot and 4 goals - not sure we seen those creativity problems in this game at all.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #546: Mar 10, 2019 06:05:16 pm
      I agree about lacking a creative midfield player and that our forwards are sometimes having to create their own chances. This might be something that is addressed in the summer window. But not sure that is relevant to the performance? We’ve just seen an incredible game from Lallana who made a huge difference today. 23 shot and 4 goals - not sure we seen those creativity problems in this game at all.

If people took the time to understand how we play, they would know we have no creativity problems.
      This "creativity problem" is a red herring, promoted by twitter tw*ts who want to boost their numbers by appealing to malcontents who don't understand what they are looking at when they "watch" a match.

I was really pleased for Lallana today.
      He's a cracking player who has had a sh*t time with injuries.
      I've seen people say the team has "outgrown him" whatever the F**k that means, but the fact is, today we saw what a good player he is, and how much he helps us, when he's fully fit.
      If we sell him this summer, it will be because of his fitness and injury issues, not a lack of talent.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #547: Mar 10, 2019 06:11:31 pm
      I agree that it probably needs fixing in the summer, but I also think it can be partly fixed by not going into games like the Everton one with an overly-precautious mindset and Keita and Shaq (and probably Lallana after this performance) all on the bench because while they may not be perfect, they are the closest things we have to that ''summer fix'' we're talking about and Keita actually showed an improving form and capability to fix this problem for us before being nailed back to the bench. This is basically it in terms of the point I'm trying to get across.

To answer your question about the relevance of these problems to this game my point was that even while facing weaker opposition and despite scoring goals, sometimes lots of them, our lack of creativity and link between the midfield and forwards is still very much noticeable during stretches of the game. This is what prompted me to mention it alongside the fact that I'm happy with the 3 points and Lallana's performance...but apparently, some people die a little when somebody say something other than a positive comment after a win
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #548: Mar 10, 2019 06:55:49 pm
      Did what we had to do.

Mane continues to step up big time.
      Think at times last season there was a bit of jealousy from Mane because Salah was scoring so often and the fans love of him, often he was not passing the ball to Salah... But now i think he sees that if they work together that he can score more goals and more importantly he is now feeling the love of the fans
      German_Panzer
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 60 
      Reply #549: Mar 10, 2019 06:58:50 pm
      I don't see Keita improving, not at all. He started well, then regressed, then stopped his regression recently, but still not remotely the force we all envisioned. If he didn't get it up to now - a full season - he won't get it. Cut the losses early and re-sell Keita and try Fekir.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #550: Mar 10, 2019 06:59:23 pm
      Something tells me Mane will be our top scorer this season. No idea what’s going on with Salah, even 1v1s now, just expect him to make a mess of it.
      Everyone knows what he is about now, will be closely marked... But with Mane and Bobby scoring regularly don't expect the tight marking on Salah to last too long
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #551: Mar 10, 2019 07:03:16 pm
      more than happy sitting on City's shoulder and we get to play next week against Fulham we just need to win our games

Quick Reply