Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Bayern?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      8 (6.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      21 (15.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      2 (1.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      98 (74.2%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      1 (0.8%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: Mar 17, 2019 09:52:59 pm

Bayern Munich 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 33079 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Bayern Munich 1-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #713: Mar 13, 2019 11:19:02 pm
      We are back last seasons finalists this seasons quarter final so far and right up there in the EPL happy days for most of us
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #714: Mar 13, 2019 11:19:15 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #715: Mar 13, 2019 11:20:21 pm
      Don't let anyone take anything away from that performance. That's still a great Bayern Munich side that scored 11 goals in the two games prior to playing us. How many teams go to the Allianz Arena and limit them to just one miserable shot on target and some shots from distance? Bayern are a quality side, we made them look bang average tonight.

That first half performance was probably exactly how Klopp and the team wanted it to go. Absorb pressure, let Bayern have the ball and limit the space in the middle. While not brilliant on the ball, all of Fabinho, Milner, and Wijnaldum, bar the 5 minutes of madness at the end of the second half, we're exceptional in terms of work rate, closing down, limiting space, ... Bayern did that very well too which made it a very cagey first half. It wasn't pretty by any means, but boy was it effective. Had it not been for Robertson switching off for a split second, we go into the second half 0-1 up.

The game, as expected, opened up in the second half and we were amazing. Credit to all the lads out there, not going to pick on any negatives after a night like this. Bayern were never really in it. We look so solid, full of confidence in our own ability and determined to go all the way.

Matip was a giant at the back. Van Dijk and him had Lewandowski in their pocket all night. Mane of course brilliant again. What a top player.

Superb analysis. You should take that German Panzer w**ker under your wing and teach him a few things about how to watch and review a football match. With any luck he might just start to learn the basics of this sport.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #716: Mar 13, 2019 11:31:19 pm
      What a confidence booster this should be for the boys.

Might check out the odds on us doing the double.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #717: Mar 13, 2019 11:31:36 pm
      Also it must be said, for a club that has spent most of the last few years lauding it over the rest of Germany and proclaiming their greatness, the amount of times Bayern's players fell to the floor with the slightest touch with eyes pining up at the referee like a desperate puppy was a pretty pathetic display of supposed 'dominance'. Lewandowski especially has much to answer for. But before he can he'll have to find his way out of Van Dijk's pocket.

Good, honest football won in the end.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #718: Mar 13, 2019 11:33:25 pm
      No mercy on Sunday at Fulham too!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #719: Mar 13, 2019 11:37:15 pm
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #720: Mar 13, 2019 11:45:33 pm
      Get the F**k in! Is all.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #721: Mar 13, 2019 11:52:30 pm
      I thought this was one of our best performances of the season. Yes, not everything went right, especially in the first half but we're away to one of the best sides in Europe so it's to be expected. What no one expected was that we'd limit them to one shot on goal (I believe it was) all game. It was a thoroughly mature performance, attacking in the right moments, defending in others, never allowing ourselves to be caught doing too much of either. The press was excellent, the defending spot on, for the most part - yes, Robbo needs to do a lot, lot better for that goal, and yes he didn't need to put that tackle in at the end - as was our counter attack which was more fluid than it has been for some time when playing away from home.

Mane has now scored both goals of the season. Just give him the award because no one's going to do better. He really is becoming a world class player at the right time for us. Salah was excellent and did everything right but score a goal (you can debate whether he should have passed to Mane on that chance, whether he should have gone down or was right to shoot himself), but for MOTM I voted the big man, the world's best centre back, Virgil 'Big Virge' Van Dijk. He was imperious again, showing not only his class but his leadership abilities.

I just hope we can avoid a domestic tie, and get a relatively easy run in the next round. That said, this Liverpool team has proven over the last two years that it can beat anyone on their night so the draw should hold no fear for us.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #722: Mar 13, 2019 11:54:35 pm

I just hope we can avoid a domestic tie, and get a relatively easy run in the next round. That said, this Liverpool team has proven over the last two years that it can beat anyone on their night so the draw should hold no fear for us.

What he said
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #723: Mar 13, 2019 11:56:26 pm
      Excellent result but some very sloppy performances all round but thank god for Mane, currently our best striker.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #724: Mar 14, 2019 12:03:25 am
      Could only watch the match on my mobile but got tv signal back now so currently watching the Barca game quickly followed by a full re-run of our match which I'm not going to miss a minute of!
      Oh the joys of watching a good win when you know the result without the stress!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #725: Mar 14, 2019 12:18:58 am
      F***ing GET IIIIINNNNNNN

Massive.

Mane. VVD. Mane.

Gave Mane man of the match but again, Virgil, you're one big and quite beautiful b***ard.

Cloud 9. Pissed up on Cloud 9, actually, and there's no sign of me stopping any time soon.

Mighty.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #726: Mar 14, 2019 12:23:56 am
      Thought that was a very good performance, especially the second half.  They had one sniff, and we controlled the game from the break.

Thought Sadio was MOTM and not just his goals but overall performance.

Rather not an English side next but whoever it is will get a game.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #727: Mar 14, 2019 12:51:01 am
      Was at a Wake for a much respected gent so I missed the game but what a result and I'm delighted for Mane. That was world class.His first was a great bit of skill. He deserves all the credit and the fact that he was voted MOTM by almost everyone says it all.

And a great all round team performance. This can only turbo charge our run in from now. Put in a show like that shows we have it in our locker. Big psychological boost. Important step for sure.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #728: Mar 14, 2019 01:02:10 am
      Just finished watching. That sure was shaky in the first half, didn’t really play our best and were still a goal up. Thought the ref was absolute garbage, but second half we had a little more control. Couple tricky moments that could have easily went against us and changed things up but we held our nerve.

Tired of seeing Lewandoski dive and act like a whiny little twit. Don’t really like Bayern much as of late, glad we got to put them out. Bring on City I say. We will put them out next.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #729: Mar 14, 2019 01:03:52 am
      I thought this was one of our best performances of the season. Yes, not everything went right, especially in the first half but we're away to one of the best sides in Europe so it's to be expected. What no one expected was that we'd limit them to one shot on goal (I believe it was) all game. It was a thoroughly mature performance, attacking in the right moments, defending in others, never allowing ourselves to be caught doing too much of either. The press was excellent, the defending spot on, for the most part - yes, Robbo needs to do a lot, lot better for that goal, and yes he didn't need to put that tackle in at the end - as was our counter attack which was more fluid than it has been for some time when playing away from home.

Mane has now scored both goals of the season. Just give him the award because no one's going to do better. He really is becoming a world class player at the right time for us. Salah was excellent and did everything right but score a goal (you can debate whether he should have passed to Mane on that chance, whether he should have gone down or was right to shoot himself), but for MOTM I voted the big man, the world's best centre back, Virgil 'Big Virge' Van Dijk. He was imperious again, showing not only his class but his leadership abilities.

On the VVD front I was hoping he would be a bit more aggressive going up for corners and free kicks. Wasn't having a pop as he is without doubt one of the great centre backs in world football right now. He has the strength to score more and tonight he showed the desire. I'm also delighted for Mane. He has fantastic determination. Makes the most of his abilities. Sheer self will to impose his game on a match,very impressive.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #730: Mar 14, 2019 01:57:15 am
      On the VVD front I was hoping he would be a bit more aggressive going up for corners and free kicks. Wasn't having a pop as he is without doubt one of the great centre backs in world football right now. He has the strength to score more and tonight he showed the desire. I'm also delighted for Mane. He has fantastic determination. Makes the most of his abilities. Sheer self will to impose his game on a match,very impressive.

To be honest mate, you could have an argument for Fabinho and Milner alongside Mane or Virgal for MOTM. The second half was probably the best performance I've seen from Liverpool this season, and the four of them had standout performances.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #731: Mar 14, 2019 02:27:27 am
      It's 9am you tw*t, 9:30 where he is :D

Seriously can't believe people are whinging about others MOTM picks. Just swatted Munich in their backyard. Into the last eight in Europe.

Grab a beer and chill the F**k out and sing some F***ing songs!

That’s so well put!

How arguments are festering bewilders me.
      We just smacked Bayern on their home patch, through to the last 8 and still breathing on City’s neck while chasing the title.
      We are in a beautiful period.

How we can fight amongst ourselves is astonishing. Enjoy it.

YNWA
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #732: Mar 14, 2019 02:28:48 am
      That is what I call a textbook performance away from home in Europe. Get the F**k in there red men. Brilliant result, brilliant performance.

I wasn't happy with the line up. Fabinho is our player of the season only behind Virgil so I could not believe he wasn't starting in such a massive game. What was Jürgen thinking?! A very strange decision if you ask me. It was unfortunate for Jordan to get injured but thank F**k Fabinho was brought on after only ten minutes.

The first half I felt both teams were frightened to really have a go and attack the other. It was a bit like the first round of a boxing match where you're working out your opponent wondering how to hit them while being a little bit scared of getting hit yourself.

We got the goal through just sheer brilliance and quality from mane. That lad is on F***ing fire right now.

Bayern equalised from just poor defending from our part to be honest. As much as I love him I think Robbo needs to have a look back on that goal when he gets home because positionally he was all over the place. He'd have gotten away with it and recovered if we were playing a mid table Prem team but we're dining with the big boys now. A lesson that's been learnt there I imagine.

Matip couldn't do anything about the OG he had to get his foot on the ball and it could have gone anywhere in truth. Sadly, it ended in the back of the net.

HT and we're level 1-1. Me and my pal had a debate then. He thought Bayern would up the tempo so he wanted to shut up shop and defend like lions to see the game out. Me on the other hand thought they were there for the taking and I wanted to go for them, knowing that another goal would probably see us through.

The second half starts and we began to go through the gears and really dominate the match. It brought confidence to our play and it was only a matter of time before we got the second. Surprisingly it came from a corner which is unusual for us. A proper corner too. None of this short corner bullshit. None of this unable to beat the first man. It was a proper decent corner straight into the box towards our biggest feller and there he was to head home. Get in there my son.

Mane then sealed the win with a great third goal.

We thoroughly deserved to go through as we were the better side in both legs. I've got to say, Bayern as a club have acknowledged that too and they have nothing but praise and credit for us. Very, very classy from them and I'm sure we'll cross swords again in the near future sometime.

Tonight was just a great team performance. It was one of those games where everybody played for each other. Some did better and stood our more than others but some players went about their job unnoticed but covered a lot of ground and remained discliplned throughout regarding their positioning. Milner and Gini in particular.

I'm a very proud red tonight and I'm buzzing for the quarter finals. Bring on yer Manchester United...

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #733: Mar 14, 2019 03:27:53 am
      just checking on some stats and found that Bayern were unbeaten at home since Oct last year. had scored in every game since then home and AWAY until they played us!

0-0 at Anfield a decent result, should finish it of at the Alainz Arena, Remember Bayern are consecutively 6 times Bundesliga champions.

Result? 1 shot on target !

Why were we worried?
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #734: Mar 14, 2019 05:40:33 am
      Get in, Mane first goal was absolute magic.

Another result that shows we mean business, not many clubs can go to Bayern and win so convincingly.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #735: Mar 14, 2019 06:51:49 am
      The other 7 clubs left in the cup will fear us more than we will fear them.I was proud to support our lads and they  responded with a first class display.

Quick Reply