Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The double, is it on?

Read 22686 times
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Re: The double, is it on?
      Reply #46: Apr 20, 2019 10:54:33 pm
      If we get even one piece of silverware I be delighted. Since 05 we have only won a FA cup in, 06 and League cup in 2012  but been beaten in four Cup finals and missed out by tiny margins for a few premier league titles. So we deserve a wee bit of luck and a trophy. I think once we get the first trophy more will follow. First one is always the hardest. Can't take more heartache. We been.brilliant this year had a blip with draws against Everton Leicester and West ham. I hope that dosent come back to haunt us.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #47: Apr 20, 2019 11:39:49 pm
      It’s on because we’re in both but whatever happens I refuse to look at this season as a failure we have smashed it we’re up against MC and Barca
      Compere that to a few seasons ago losing 6 1  puts it in perspective of how far we have come
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #48: Apr 21, 2019 12:01:49 am
      Yes it's possible.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #49: Apr 21, 2019 12:10:32 am
      Keep the faith and keep on believing in Jürgen and THE REDS bringing the double home.We have seen how much the squad play for each other and they will want this double as much as we do. :kop5cf8koxp6:
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #50: Apr 21, 2019 02:40:02 am
      IMO up to this moment we as a fans has only one choice that is support the team with no question.
      I want to see we win the double, COYR :scarf:
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #51: Apr 21, 2019 09:37:16 am
      Would be great to win both, but think if you told me we'd win one, I'd take that right now.
      We *need* to win at least one.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #52: Apr 21, 2019 09:49:55 am
      I can only see Barca winning the ECL and I can't now see where City will drop points. My bet was they'd draw at Utd but Utd are in terrible form at the moment. I honestly think if Utd do not beat Everton today, they'll not bother turning up against City because they won't be able to get fourth (or it'll be almost impossible).

Imagine finishing second on 97 points and losing only one game!
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2019 09:55:22 am by Rush »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #53: Apr 21, 2019 09:57:58 am
      Would be great to win both, but think if you told me we'd win one, I'd take that right now.
      We *need* to win at least one.

If I had to pick it would be the Premier League. Won the revised Champions League. We need to win the Premiership to reclaim our rightful place as the best team in the country. Our history demands it. Our world wide fan base demands it but it is the home grown fans, the locals as it were, who deserve it. The lads & lasses that stood on the Kop..when it was the "Kop"in the 60's who played their not insignificant part in taking this club from the old second division to the pinnacle of European football.

Not deliberately trying to be nostalgic just saying feelings for this club run deep, very deep and many of the old guard don't have many seasons left.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #54: Apr 21, 2019 10:14:31 am
      We could win all our remaining games 5-0 and not win the League/European double.

If I had to put my house on it though I'd say it won't happen.  Too much intensity at this stage of the season.  Barcelona have a huge luxury when it comes to resting players and having their focus 100% on the Champions League whereas we don't have that.

I'm more than prepared to be surprised though.
      solodee

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #55: Apr 21, 2019 01:56:49 pm
      If the Premiership title lead was ours to lose, I'd bet on us winning the league.

Sadly, we have need for Man City to drop points. Not looking like it is going to happen.

Somehow, I think we can beat Barcelona.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #56: Apr 21, 2019 02:10:10 pm
      No. The League isn't in our hands and I can't see City dropping points. As I said at the time, I believe we blew it at Everton. The Champions League though? Definitely in with a shout and if we are to fail to win the league again, I can't think of a better runner's up prize.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #57: Apr 21, 2019 06:25:46 pm
      Personally don’t think it will happen and without people taking this the wrong way - although it would be absolutely amazing to win the Champions League, I think I’d feel slightly unsatisfied.

Taking nothing away from winning it and really hope we do but I think we’ve been that good and strong in the league that we deserve that too.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #58: Apr 21, 2019 07:44:36 pm

Sadly, we have need for Man City to drop points. Not looking like it is going to happen.

I can only see Barca winning the ECL and I can't now see where City will drop points.

So I should not bother anymore since City is going to win it and we're going to lose it? I guess I'll show up only when things have taken a positive turn?

Just like those who leave 10 minutes before the final whistle. Only to turn back when Anfield roars for a goal after taking ten steps down the exit...

What's the point of winning today's game then? I feel so disappointing....
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #59: Apr 21, 2019 07:56:51 pm
      So I should not bother anymore since City is going to win it and we're going to lose it? I guess I'll show up only when things have taken a positive turn?

Just like those who leave 10 minutes before the final whistle. Only to turn back when Anfield roars for a goal after taking ten steps down the exit...

What's the point of winning today's game then? I feel so disappointing....

You can be bothered and still have the feeling that City won't drop anymore points.

I find it hard to see where they will drop points, that doesn't stop me thinking we can win every game and be there ready to capitalise if they do.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #60: Apr 21, 2019 09:11:16 pm
      F**k me we are still winning and the double is still on.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #61: Apr 21, 2019 09:14:31 pm
      Fancy us for the Champions League, hard to see where City are going to drop points at. Definitely not against Utd, they're beyond sh*te!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #62: Apr 21, 2019 11:57:27 pm
      If we don't win anything, it's going to feel like an absolute wasted season but just can't help loving everything Jürgen and the boys have done this Season. We know they want it as much as us, that can't be denied.

Will just be our typical sh*t luck!
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #63: Apr 22, 2019 09:30:10 am
      In answer to the OP, yes it is most certainly on.

We win our remaining 3 league games, we win the league in my opinion. Citeh will drop points, I am sure of it. It starts with the derby on Wednesday and rest assured we will see a different united team than we seen yesterday. After that they are away to Burnley and then a tricky game against an in form Leicester. Don’t forget this team looked invincible until they lost back to back games against Palace and Leicester. They are beatable and it might come in a game that we least expect it, but it will come.

We just need to focus on our games and not give Citeh a chance to breathe easy. Hopefully come Friday night we are 4 or 5 points clear but, if not, we dust ourselves off and go again.

As for the CL, I think we have the beating of Barcelona on the evidence of their games against United. When United managed to press for all of 10 minutes, Barca were at sixes and sevens. Trouble for them is we can press far longer and far more effectively. If they give up the chances they gave to United, they will not be getting away with it as easily.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #64: Apr 22, 2019 09:48:56 am
      City of late always seem to start games full on and get an early goal. I think if you keep it tight for the first 20, if it’s still 0-0 they go off the boil a bit and teams would be able to sit out a draw or even nick a goal when they start to really push on.
      Surely I’m not the only one to see this, with all the pro managers with their genius tactics!
      If this can be implemented I’m sure they will draw at least 1 of their last 4.
      If that’s the case, I think the double is on 😊
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #65: Apr 22, 2019 02:59:44 pm
      I can only see Barca winning the ECL and I can't now see where City will drop points. My bet was they'd draw at Utd but Utd are in terrible form at the moment. I honestly think if Utd do not beat Everton today, they'll not bother turning up against City because they won't be able to get fourth (or it'll be almost impossible).

Imagine finishing second on 97 points and losing only one game!

Shithouse behaviour. We've played Barca three times in knockout European formats. Won the F***ing lot. They've only beaten us in a Champions League game. Let them worry about us.

Still all about the league for me. Get past Barca and I'd fancy us to beat Ajax or Spurs.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #66: Apr 22, 2019 06:54:42 pm
      If we were to finish runners up I think we be the unluckiest runners up in pl history. We have 88points already which most years would have won pl title already. 89 points is highest points total for runners up in league. Only for Arabs coming in spending billions no questions asked and turning city  overnight  from a struggling division 1team to a pack of mercenaries all on about 300k a week.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #67: Apr 22, 2019 07:05:07 pm
      If we were to finish runners up I think we be the unluckiest runners up in pl history. We have 88points already which most years would have won pl title already. 89 points is highest points total for runners up in league. Only for Arabs coming in spending billions no questions asked and turning city  overnight  from a struggling division 1team to a pack of mercenaries all on about 300k a week.
      After all our near misses in cup finals and been runners up three or four times n pl already  I be delighted with one trophy. I thought early on in season it was said that city were flouting financial fair play I thought the FA were guna deduct them a number of points. Haven't heard anything since
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #68: Apr 22, 2019 07:48:28 pm
      We'll definitely win the Champions League! Just need a bit of luck in the league!

Quick Reply