Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Do you Remember your first match?

Read 10524 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Do you Remember your first match?
      Mar 14, 2019 01:46:17 pm
      Was thinking this morning as I sometimes do, about the day I fell in love with the club, Dec. 28, 1998, my first visit to Anfield. I was familiar with the club before that of course, and was an avid connoisseur of European and British football, but upon visiting the city and stadium for the first time I realized there was something very different present here.

So I wondered about everyone else's first or earliest memory of Liverpool. A focal point could be, can you remember the team and any details from the first time you watched, either in person or from afar. It's OK to look it up if that helps. I know we have a wide age range on here so I look forward to responses, and I'm officially declaring this a no arguing zone (particularly anything involving Jordan Henderson!).

Liverpool 4, Newcastle 2
      Dec. 28, 1998

GK: David James
      D: Vegard Heggem Steve Staunton, Phil Babb, Jamie Carragher, Stiggy
      M:  Steve McManaman, Jamie Redknapp, Patrick Berger
      F: Michael Owen, Karl Heinz-Reidle
      Subs: Brad Friedel, Steve Harkness, Jason McAteer, David Thompson, Steven Gerrard

Newcastle's lineup included Didi Hamann (who was sent off), Alan Shearer, Duncan Ferguson, Stuart Pearce and on the bench: John Barnes!

Reds fell behind 2-0, the second coming AFTER they were reduced to 10, then substitute David Thompson (who replaced Steven Gerrard, who had replaced the injured McManaman) started influencing things a great deal, leading to braces for both Owen and Riedle.  But  my biggest memory will always be of how The Kop drew that team forward in the 2nd half.  It is NOT a myth.

Would love to read your memories.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Re: Do you Remember your first match?
      Reply #1: Mar 14, 2019 07:42:59 pm
      I think it was year 2001 my first game. We played a qualifier for the European Cup, against some Finnish team called FC Haka. My dad got us tickets to go watch it and we did them 4-1, can’t remember all the scorers (I was only 7 or 8) but I think Heskey and Owen got on the scoresheet and maybe Jari Litmannen (who was one of my early favorites!). I also seem to remember two lads in front of me who just kept singing a song about big Emile Heskey over and over again (we might have even signed him that summer)?

EDIT: just checked, it was Redknapp, Heskey, Fowler and someone called David Wilson...never heard of him in my life but it’s what google says! Litmanen was on the bench and came on for Heskey quite early on.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Mar 14, 2019 08:00:03 pm
      11th April 1972. I had been to games before in the Boys Pen and the Paddock but this was Special Sir Roger Hunts Testimonial 56,000 gates closed and thousands locked out.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #3: Mar 14, 2019 08:10:46 pm
      01.03.1975 Chelsea, at Anfield, 2-2. Pissed down.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Mar 14, 2019 08:24:19 pm
      26 march 1989 at white hart lane, won 2-1, early 17th birthday treat, my dear old mum decided to absolutely slaughter chris waddle all game which wasn't wise especially as were sat in with the spurs fans. She was threatened by a bloke on crutches,  i know who my money would have been on and it wasn't him.

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #5: Mar 14, 2019 08:24:26 pm
      Auxerre at home won 3-1 I think got us through wibbly Walters with the winner. Moby pen I think as well
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #6: Mar 14, 2019 08:29:08 pm
      I think it was year 2001 my first game. We played a qualifier for the European Cup, against some Finnish team called FC Haka. My dad got us tickets to go watch it and we did them 4-1, can’t remember all the scorers (I was only 7 or 8) but I think Heskey and Owen got on the scoresheet and maybe Jari Litmannen (who was one of my early favorites!). I also seem to remember two lads in front of me who just kept singing a song about big Emile Heskey over and over again (we might have even signed him that summer)?

EDIT: just checked, it was Redknapp, Heskey, Fowler and someone called David Wilson...never heard of him in my life but it’s what google says! Litmanen was on the bench and came on for Heskey quite early on.

Wilson scored an og, was there that night
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Mar 14, 2019 09:56:00 pm
      I cannot recall what team I saw first at Anfield but I do recall my Dad putting me in the boys pen in Kemlyn Road.In those days the pen run from the half way line back toward the Anfield Road end.My dad stood on the other side of the wire fence keeping an eye on me.It was a sad day when they moved the pen to the back of the KOP. The reason given for moving the pen was that the kids had been throwing apple cores and orange peel at the likes of Stanley Mathews.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #8: Mar 14, 2019 10:15:26 pm
      I cannot recall what team I saw first at Anfield but I do recall my Dad putting me in the boys pen in Kemlyn Road.In those days the pen run from the half way line back toward the Anfield Road end.My dad stood on the other side of the wire fence keeping an eye on me.It was a sad day when they moved the pen to the back of the KOP. The reason given for moving the pen was that the kids had been throwing apple cores and orange peel at the likes of Stanley Mathews.

if you can give me a year and at least one of the opponents you recall, I can try to find the match for you.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Mar 14, 2019 10:29:50 pm
      Liverpool vs Dortmund in CL back in 2001. 2-0 win with Smicer and Stephen Wright scoring.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #10: Mar 14, 2019 10:47:39 pm
      11th April 1972. I had been to games before in the Boys Pen and the Paddock but this was Special Sir Roger Hunts Testimonial 56,000 gates closed and thousands locked out.

the most memorable was our first UEFA cup win when the game was abandoned and replayed with big John Toshack playing in the second game. I even remember seeing Kevin Keegan playing for Scunthorpe against Tranmere. When I look back my life has been so enriched by a football team just a 15 minute walk from home. You could here the goals being scored by the noise of the Kop in the 60's it made a massive impression on me as a young kid. My entire family are REDS not a bluenose anywhere. What I have learned to appreciate is that someone from the other side of the world has  the same connection as I have but might be from an entirely different generation.
       Maybe in future years they may find a gene that unites us all as Liverpudlians
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #11: Mar 14, 2019 10:50:03 pm

the boys pens moved around Anfield quite a bit I remember it being in both the Anfield road end and the Kop next to the Main stand but then memory is a funny thing isn't it and I might be totally wrong
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Mar 14, 2019 11:14:34 pm
      Villa Park, 1988. 1-1. If my memory serves.

First at Anfield was 2-2 versus Swindon Town in 93.

I didn't see Liverpool win, live, until 95, a 3-1 win at White Hart Lane.

Until 2010, most my Liverpool experiences were away fixtures,  started getting to more home games after that. Only ever seen us lose 5 times live, three of those at Wembley though.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Mar 15, 2019 12:19:41 am
      A game against Oldham I think, prob around 96 or 97. Seem to recall Rush scoring a fantastic goal and I just instantly fell in love with the club and crowd.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Mar 15, 2019 06:19:25 am
      if you can give me a year and at least one of the opponents you recall, I can try to find the match for you.

It was the start of the 1947/8 season and the club that seems to stick in my mind the most is Blackpool.On checking the fixtures for that season it must of been Preston north End and in my mind I am mixing up Tom Finney and Stanley Mathews.
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019 06:46:52 am by Billy1 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Mar 15, 2019 06:54:37 am
      First ever memory of the Premier League was when I would've been no more than 8/9 and as a family we'd always go out for Saturday night dinners at some diner or something with friends and there was a room with a massive tv showing football that all these older men would camp in front of and watch.

I ended up floating away from the family and friends and just parking in there every weekend to watch. No idea who was playing from memory or when I watched Liverpool for the first time - would've been at some point of the 2000/01 season - but the first match I remember vividly was the Merseyside derby in 2004.

Was a 2am kick off that I stayed up for and remember getting F***ing PISSED off that Nigel Martyn was keeping everything out. The c**t was unbeatable that day. Think he made two ridiculous saves from Gerrard and another couple. Think it was 20 shots at goal and 70% possession. They were buzzing of course.

First match I saw us live at was in Melbourne when they toured down. Youtube the YNWA to that and it'll tell you everything you need to know about that night. Best night I've ever had. Drove down from Sydney couple days earlier, whole city was red for days before, was pissed hours before the game and met AussieRed for the first time as I stood on a table in a pub leading songs in a full room of Reds.

First European game was the Europa League final in Basel. Left on a Monday to the airport direct after class was over, arrived 3pm of the day in Zurich, trained to Basel, met Diego and Matt from the forum and then fu**ed off home after the game with my tail between my legs after sleeping at the station. Had the same flight stewardess on three of my flights from Sydney to Zurich and back home and by the third one (Zurich to Dubai stopover) she looked at me and asked what the F**k I was doing :D got questioned why I had no luggage at Sydney Airport on the way back and they wouldn't believe I went for less than a day to watch a football (soccer ;D) game until one of them saw my LFC scarf and he said "oh you went to that final? They lost didn't they? That's a sh*t trip!" Yeah thanks F**k face, let me go home.

First Anfield game was Suarez's first back after the Ivanovic biting incident in 2013. Suarez, Sturridge and Gerrard on the sheet. Cab driver on the way was boss, took me to Gow's to pick up Venison's season ticket he donated to me and then drove me around on a Liverpool City tour at no charge. Ended up walking back from the ground with the crowd to the Liver Building where we were staying near. Superb day because it just felt like a proper old school football trip - was like a local experience.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16: Mar 15, 2019 07:08:01 am
      7th of March 1964   we thrashed Ipswich 6-0.

Hunt (2)  Arrowsmith (2)  St John and Thompson scored in a rout.

First time on the Kop.  Aged 11.  I was buzzing.

I'd supported the lads when they were in the Second Divsion since 62 but was able to go Anfield when living back in the Pool in 64.

The season of this game we went on to win the title being only the 2nd season back in the top flight. Similar to what we may be achieving now with Klopp it took Bill Shankly just four years to turn us in to title winners.

The rest is history.

The following year we won the Cup v Leeds at Wembley with Gerry Byrne playing virtually the whole game with a broken collar bone.
      Now they wear gloves FFS !
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019 07:50:51 am by MIRO »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Mar 15, 2019 08:47:07 am
      Yes...

And the cry went up

liverPOOL liveRPOOL,LIVERPOOL,LIVERPOOL

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #18: Mar 15, 2019 08:50:33 am
      11th April 1984. European Cup semi final. Not bad!
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #19: Mar 15, 2019 09:39:38 am
      Stoke City, March 1949, (70 years ago next week) beat them 4-0, with the great Albert Stubbins getting a brace. Down  into the Second Division, and welcomed Mr Shankly, to the club.  Suffered the lows and the highs, but who can forget that magic night in Istanbul?
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #20: Mar 15, 2019 09:43:56 am
      Liverpool 3 Spurs 1

Spurs scored first probably round about 1980 ish I think but could be out a few years.

Pretty sure Sammy lee scored one from about 20 yards.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #21: Mar 15, 2019 09:45:09 am
      Stoke City, March 1949, (70 years ago next week) beat them 4-0, with the great Albert Stubbins getting a brace. Down  into the Second Division, and welcomed Mr Shankly, to the club.  Suffered the lows and the highs, but who can forget that magic night in Istanbul?

Mate nuff respects... You footballs version of a "Original Gangster"

God bless you mate.... I wasn't even a twinkle in my dads eyes back then
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019 09:51:58 am by The Real Donavan Ried »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #22: Mar 15, 2019 09:50:33 am

Another O.G. football wise... Bless you  ;D

Quick Reply