Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Do you Remember your first match?

Read 10533 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Do you Remember your first match?
      Reply #23: Mar 15, 2019 09:57:14 am
      Hope both you (Fourbrick) and Billy1 reach that magic age of a 100 plus and the owners and manager of Liverpool give you a free seat for the remainder for you lives at every home game for Liverpool FC

I am Impressed  ;D
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #24: Mar 15, 2019 10:20:11 am
      First game on tv (I can remember) was the 1977 FA cup final where we lost on out on THE treble (ultimately) by losing to a lucky Utd winner!  Cried after the match (first but not last time crying after a Liverpool defeat!)

First live game I had to look it up I'm afraid, but away to Swansea in the old 1st division 18th Sept 1982 as a 13 year old.

As Swansea is local to us, my dad took me & my 2 brothers (all Liverpool fans due to my dad's dad being a scouser) to the Vetch, but we were in the the Swans end.

I remember being totally overwhelmed at seeing my heroes Dalglish, Rush, Souness & co in the flesh!

We won easily, 3-0 and my abiding memory (probably distorted over time) was the 3rd goal with Kenny in the centre circle collecting the ball facing our goal, swivelling and putting a 40 yard diagonal pass to Rushie who went through & slotted home.

I was on such a high, I remember playing football in a kick-about with my mates in the schoolyard (school was next to my house & just had to climb the gates) that evening and I was like Dalglish on speed I was buzzing so much.

Didn't get to Anfield for another 20 years, and times were a lot harder for us then...
      « Last Edit: Mar 15, 2019 11:42:26 am by skamp »
      Heighway Patrol
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #25: Mar 15, 2019 12:00:51 pm
      Coventry City vs Liverpool. 1st Div. Tue 10 May 1977 0 - 0
                        Clemence 
      Neal, Smith, Hughes(c). Jones.
      Case, McDermott , Kennedy, Heighway
                  Keegan,  Johnson
      Sub Callaghan
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #26: Mar 15, 2019 12:40:30 pm
      Hope both you (Fourbrick) and Billy1 reach that magic age of a 100 plus and the owners and manager of Liverpool give you a free seat for the remainder for you lives at every home game for Liverpool FC

I am Impressed  ;D

Thanks, Don. I hope that we can both reach 100 and love your idea of free seats. Just about getting my voice back after forty years singing on the KOP. I wonder how many of you were there on the night it was foggy and we could only see to the half way line, The Reds were kicking into the Anfield Road goal, and we heard a cheer as we scored. Up went the chant from the Kop. "Who scored the goal?.. Who scored the goal. "Ee aye addio, who scored the goal?" Back came the  chant from the other end. "Toshack, Toshack." One of the many magic moments enjoyed there, as well as getting my shoes rotted on the steps.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27: Mar 15, 2019 01:51:11 pm
      Thanks, Don. I hope that we can both reach 100 and love your idea of free seats. Just about getting my voice back after forty years singing on the KOP. I wonder how many of you were there on the night it was foggy and we could only see to the half way line, The Reds were kicking into the Anfield Road goal, and we heard a cheer as we scored. Up went the chant from the Kop. "Who scored the goal?.. Who scored the goal. "Ee aye addio, who scored the goal?" Back came the  chant from the other end. "Toshack, Toshack." One of the many magic moments enjoyed there, as well as getting my shoes rotted on the steps.

This story cannot be topped, surely :D That's F***ing magnificent.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #28: Mar 15, 2019 03:13:14 pm
      9th of December 1967.

Big battles those days with Leeds. This was a home game .... snow on the ground.
      We were standing in the Kop when their  goalie Gary Sprake ....right in front of us ....went to throw the ball out.
      He didnt!

As he pulled his outstretched arm back it flew into the net behind him.

We all started singing "Careless Hands" by Des O Connor.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #29: Mar 15, 2019 06:45:59 pm
      Crystal Palace 2-3 Liverpool
      Keegan and 2 from heighway
      Think it was 76 77 or 78 can’t remember was a little pup then
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #30: Mar 15, 2019 09:10:21 pm

I was at Anfield when a similar incident happened but it was Kevin Lewis who scored the goal,he had one hell of a shot.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31: Mar 15, 2019 09:12:47 pm
      9th of December 1967.

Big battles those days with Leeds. This was a home game .... snow on the ground.
      We were standing in the Kop when their  goalie Gary Sprake ....right in front of us ....went to throw the ball out.
      He didnt!

I do remember standing on the KOP when Gary Sprake did that.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #32: Mar 15, 2019 09:45:19 pm
      Fourbrick do you remember when Blackpool used to have a Duck as their mascot.It was colored Gold or yellow and before kickoff they brought it on the pitch and let it run around the centre circle.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #33: Mar 15, 2019 09:55:31 pm
      This story cannot be topped, surely :D That's f**king magnificent.
      Totally agree
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #34: Mar 15, 2019 09:57:13 pm
      Fourbrick do you remember when Blackpool used to have a Duck as their mascot.It was colored Gold or yellow and before kickoff they brought it on the pitch and let it run around the centre circle.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #35: Mar 15, 2019 10:03:21 pm

We were both there Billy over 50 years ago !
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #36: Mar 16, 2019 10:08:17 am

I was there as well, Bill. At the time, as well as "Careless hands", the Scaffold were in the charts with 'Thank you very much", which also got a few choruses, of "Thank you very much for giving us a goal, thank you very much, thank very very much" Couldn't stop laughing.

And yes I remember "Puskas", the Blackpool duck. (Considering the footballer it was named after it was an absolutely brilliant name for a duck!)
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #37: Mar 16, 2019 10:30:02 am
      Love reading these memories of what it felt like to be an LFC fan in different eras. I find it’s really important that stories from fans of today are shared so that they aren’t forgotten for generations of fans in the future. The Boy’s Pen, the lows of the 50s and the Shankly/Paisley days. As a younger fan who has only supported the club since Houllier, I would have loved to experience snippets of these memories. Thanks for sharing guys.
      Rob hawkins
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #38: Mar 16, 2019 11:24:17 am
      Stafford Rangers v Liverpool  friendly in the 70’s
      Steve highway with a back heel for one of the goals
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #39: Mar 16, 2019 02:26:26 pm
      the boys pens moved around Anfield quite a bit I remember it being in both the Anfield road end and the Kop next to the Main stand but then memory is a funny thing isn't it and I might be totally wrong

Did kids get in free in those days? If so, was it allowed, or were people being lifted over?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Mar 16, 2019 02:29:21 pm
      It was the start of the 1947/8 season and the club that seems to stick in my mind the most is Blackpool.On checking the fixtures for that season it must of been Preston north End and in my mind I am mixing up Tom Finney and Stanley Mathews.

Awesome. What was it like in the pen?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #41: Mar 16, 2019 02:38:50 pm

Re your shoes...is that a reference to the one part of viewing matches in the old days I can't quite imagine? I've had a few old-timers from various grounds share stories with some variation of people asking "where is the toilet?" and the response: "You're standing in it, mate."

I'm nostalgic as the next guy, but there's at least one area of progress I don't feel sorry about.  ;D
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #42: Mar 16, 2019 03:33:33 pm
      Re your shoes...is that a reference to the one part of viewing matches in the old days I can't quite imagine? I've had a few old-timers from various grounds share stories with some variation of people asking "where is the toilet?" and the response: "You're standing in it, mate."

I'm nostalgic as the next guy, but there's at least one area of progress I don't feel sorry about.  ;D

In the sixties, a reporter for the Sunday Times was told to visit the Kop, and in the middle of the match he turned to his mate and asked how you go for a pee. His mate said roll up a newspaper up and pee into that. He said  the guy in front will feel it. To which he got the reply "You didn't!"

Your shoes were guaranteed to last a quarter of the time they should have, due to "urine rot." :-)

Another favourite memory was coming out of the Kop at the top left stairs. It was like going over the Niagra falls.. You couldn't see where you were going just follow the crowd of thousands all dashing to get to the pub. It's a wonder there weren't serious accidents.
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2019 04:24:07 pm by Fourbrick »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #43: Mar 16, 2019 04:35:57 pm
      I was 4 when my grandad took me to my first match. I remember him telling me to go to the back ( Annie Road) and climb on the fence with the other lads to see over the crowd.
      That was the timber rails that the corrugated tin was nailed to. Can’t remember who we played that day, just remember we won by the mood.
      Was always intrigued by the Danny Blanchflower advert on the Shredded Wheat box, so always looked for the spurs scores. When I was old enough to go on my own, I never missed a Liverpool v Spurs game for years. Think we went 67 games at Anfield before spurs got a win. Always hoped that record would last for ever😊 That was in 1956 by the way.
      « Last Edit: Mar 16, 2019 04:47:26 pm by GERNS »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #44: Mar 16, 2019 04:38:11 pm
      In the sixties, a reporter for the Sunday Times was told to visit the Kop, and in the middle of the match he turned to his mate and asked how you go for a pee. His mate said roll up a newspaper up and pee into that. He said  the guy in front will feel it. To which he got the reply "You didn't!"

Your shoes were guaranteed to last a quarter of the time they should have, due to "urine rot." :-)

Another favourite memory was coming out of the Kop at the top left stairs. It was like going over the Niagra falls.. You couldn't see where you were going just follow the crowd of thousands all dashing to get to the pub. It's a wonder there weren't serious accidents.

« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2019 04:46:16 pm by GERNS »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Mar 16, 2019 04:44:48 pm
      9th of December 1967.

He didnt!

Apologies.
      Had already posted first match as being 7th of March 64.

This event in 67 was just following the theme of the preceding posts.

Quick Reply