Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Do you Remember your first match?

Read 10530 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Do you Remember your first match?
      Reply #46: Mar 16, 2019 04:45:05 pm
      In the sixties, a reporter for the Sunday Times was told to visit the Kop, and in the middle of the match he turned to his mate and asked how you go for a pee. His mate said roll up a newspaper up and pee into that. He said  the guy in front will feel it. To which he got the reply "You didn't!"

Your shoes were guaranteed to last a quarter of the time they should have, due to "urine rot." :-)

Another favourite memory was coming out of the Kop at the top left stairs. It was like going over the Niagra falls.. You couldn't see where you were going just follow the crowd of thousands all dashing to get to the pub. It's a wonder there weren't serious accidents.

It was like the Niagrafalls at half time when hundreds peed against the back wall and it all dripped down the stair well. 🤮
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #47: Mar 16, 2019 04:48:28 pm
      In the sixties, a reporter for the Sunday Times was told to visit the Kop, and in the middle of the match he turned to his mate and asked how you go for a pee. His mate said roll up a newspaper up and pee into that. He said  the guy in front will feel it. To which he got the reply "You didn't!"

Your shoes were guaranteed to last a quarter of the time they should have, due to "urine rot." :-)

Another favourite memory was coming out of the Kop at the top left stairs. It was like going over the Niagra falls.. You couldn't see where you were going just follow the crowd of thousands all dashing to get to the pub. It's a wonder there weren't serious accidents.

Remember that and struggling to get a ciggy out of your denim jacket pocket with your arms pinned to your sides.
      Interesting parts of girl's anatomies grabbed when we all surged forward.
      May have started my "spec" with a barrier behind me but never finished the game in the same place.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #48: Mar 16, 2019 05:26:43 pm
      not sure how old I was but I had to get behind me Dad in the turnstile duck down and push in behind him when I was bigger I would go first and he would push in behind me I used to get shot out of the turnstile like a cannon ball.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #49: Mar 16, 2019 06:45:41 pm
      I was there as well, Bill. At the time, as well as "Careless hands", the Scaffold were in the charts with 'Thank you very much", which also got a few choruses, of "Thank you very much for giving us a goal, thank you very much, thank very very much" Couldn't stop laughing.

And yes I remember "Puskas", the Blackpool duck. (Considering the footballer it was named after it was an absolutely brilliant name for a duck!)

Puskas was a Hungarian international and played for Real Madrid with DiSteffano the Argentinian.Even in those days Real were splashing the cash around to get the top players.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #50: Mar 16, 2019 06:57:08 pm
      Did kids get in free in those days? If so, was it allowed, or were people being lifted over?

When I first went to Anfield it was an old sixpence (a tanner) and then it went up to nine old pennies to get in the boys pen.Frpm memory a programme cost an old penny.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #51: Mar 16, 2019 09:12:52 pm
      Absolutely cracking topic Robby The Z.... Would have been worth starting just to read Fourbrick posts alone, let alone the others here
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #52: Mar 16, 2019 09:23:16 pm
      I was 4 when my grandad took me to my first match. I remember him telling me to go to the back ( Annie Road) and climb on the fence with the other lads to see over the crowd.
      That was the timber rails that the corrugated tin was nailed to. Can’t remember who we played that day, just remember we won by the mood.
      Was always intrigued by the Danny Blanchflower advert on the Shredded Wheat box, so always looked for the spurs scores. When I was old enough to go on my own, I never missed a Liverpool v Spurs game for years. Think we went 67 games at Anfield before spurs got a win. Always hoped that record would last for ever😊 That was in 1956 by the way.

Some real magical stories here...Didn't realize that there were so many O.G. on this site.

Sought have felt like i was one of the oldest posters here. Have to treat you guys with more reverence
      Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with us... It warms my heart, and if you could see me reading these post you would see me grinning from ear to ar

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #53: Mar 16, 2019 09:43:19 pm
      We used to go to Anfield every week when the 1st team where away the reserve team played at Anfield in front of big crowds.
      On each side of the ground in front of the Stands they posted the half time scores on boards. Going to the reserve games was like an apprenticeship before going to the big games. Back then you would have to get in the ground a couple of hours before kick off to get a good spot. In someway people miss out now just turning up into their reserved seat . We used to watch to see the players come out in their suits to walk on the pitch chatting to each other everyone getting a cheer equally every opponent player got booed.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #54: Mar 16, 2019 10:54:44 pm
      1974 FA Cup final was my first. I was 5, and I just remember the vivid green of the pitch and asking if I could sing when we scored.

Great memories looking through here because anything after about 1977 at Anfield (till 2004) I can remember.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #55: Mar 16, 2019 11:00:25 pm
      We lived about a mile from the ground. In fact the glow in the sky from the floodlights at a night game was like something from Close Encounters and the roar when we scored shook the whole area.
      My giant of a grandad took me to my first lot of games when I was about 9 or 10 (73/74)
      He had a season ticket in the Anfield Road end and used to bring in an old milk crate through the turnstiles for me to stand on in front of him against one of the barriers about halfway up the stand behind the goal.
      I can remember how his space was always there each week surrounded by fellow reds who would all know each other by name.
      I remember a game against Doncaster Rovers in the FA Cup which ended 2-2 and that was it.. I was hooked !
      I can also remember going to my first European game against Norwegian outfit Stromsgoset the following year.
      We beat them 11-0  ;D , it was 5-0 at half time !
      My first game with my mates was a paddock view of the UEFA Cup final first leg against FC Brugges in which we dug deep and came back from being 0-2 down. Crowd went nuts that night.. 50,000 of them !

My first away game was at the infamous Elland Road in 77, Jimmy Case won us the game but that's another story altogether

« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2019 12:00:07 pm by 6stringer »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #56: Mar 17, 2019 01:02:38 pm
      One of the funniest moments in the Kop, was during an F.A. Cup replay tie against, if I remember correctly, Cardiff.

Sadly on the way home from the original game, two of our young supporters had been killed in a road accident. So before the replay, the club asked for a two minute silence in their honour. It held beautifully for about a minute and then a lonely kids voice said "Sounds like Goodison, doesn't it!"

Collapse of silence and the rest of the crowd.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #57: Mar 17, 2019 02:15:22 pm
      One of the funniest moments in the Kop, was during an F.A. Cup replay tie against, if I remember correctly, Cardiff.

Sadly on the way home from the original game, two of our young supporters had been killed in a road accident. So before the replay, the club asked for a two minute silence in their honour. It held beautifully for about a minute and then a lonely kids voice said "Sounds like Goodison, doesn't it!"

Collapse of silence and the rest of the crowd.

:)
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #58: Mar 17, 2019 08:32:23 pm
      Absolutely cracking topic Robby The Z.... Would have been worth starting just to read Fourbrick posts alone, let alone the others here

Agree on the posts from the old-timers, but also that nobody is in here bitching at one another. All we are saying is ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yU0JuE1jTk
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Mar 17, 2019 08:40:47 pm
      I was there as well, Bill. At the time, as well as "Careless hands", the Scaffold were in the charts with 'Thank you very much", which also got a few choruses, of "Thank you very much for giving us a goal, thank you very much, thank very very much" Couldn't stop laughing.

And yes I remember "Puskas", the Blackpool duck. (Considering the footballer it was named after it was an absolutely brilliant name for a duck!)

I watched it roll into the net from the Kop...at first we thought..where did that ball come from. Looking at the round arm throw Sprake used to do you can understand him just not letting go and doing a full turn, with the ball ending up in the net.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #60: Mar 17, 2019 08:43:14 pm
      I was 4 when my grandad took me to my first match. I remember him telling me to go to the back ( Annie Road) and climb on the fence with the other lads to see over the crowd.
      That was the timber rails that the corrugated tin was nailed to. Can’t remember who we played that day, just remember we won by the mood.
      Was always intrigued by the Danny Blanchflower advert on the Shredded Wheat box, so always looked for the spurs scores. When I was old enough to go on my own, I never missed a Liverpool v Spurs game for years. Think we went 67 games at Anfield before spurs got a win. Always hoped that record would last for ever😊 That was in 1956 by the way.

Of course I don't know which game it was for you, but here is a lineup from a random  1956 match, September 29 2-0 win vs. Leicester City. You should remember these (back when the numbers told you where they played on the pitch:

1 - Tommy Younger
      2 - John Molyneux
      3 - Ronnie Moran
      4 - Roy Saunders
      5 - Laurie Hughes
      6 - Barry Wilkinson
      7 - Billy Liddell (c)
      8 - Eric Anderson
      9 - Louis Bimpson
      10 - Jimmy Melia
      11 - Alan A'Court
      Attendance 41,126

Goals: Melia (68); Liddell (71)

Leicester actually won the 2nd Division that season at 61 points. We were third at 53 points.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #61: Mar 17, 2019 09:16:59 pm
      The chants from the Kop in those days were priceless..

Mancheater United...Best in front of the Kop.." Hey there Georgie Best,your a bigger tart than Gordon West"..

And Charlie George the year after he scored for Arsenal in the cup final.." Oh Charlie,Charlie..Charlie Charlie Charlie...shithouse George"..always remember those two..
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #62: Mar 18, 2019 08:29:50 am
      If memory serves me right I remember paying £3.50 on the gate for the Kop in the 80s would I be right?
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #63: Mar 18, 2019 11:29:44 am
      My first one was Tommy Smiths testimonial,think it was 9 all 🤣
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #64: Mar 18, 2019 11:56:20 am
      If memory serves me right I remember paying £3.50 on the gate for the Kop in the 80s would I be right?

I remember paying either £4 or £4.50 on the Kop but that might have been U16 prices back in late 80's early 90's.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #65: Mar 18, 2019 01:02:11 pm
      I remember paying either £4 or £4.50 on the Kop but that might have been U16 prices back in late 80's early 90's.

Would make sense I would have been about 15 mid 80s.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #66: Mar 19, 2019 01:37:52 pm
      Did lifting kids over the turnstiles happen at Anfield back in the day?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #67: Mar 19, 2019 01:54:27 pm
      Charity \ testimonial @ Fir park 1986 motherwell V Liverpool

The Reds team was arguably one of the best ever.

Missed the goals for both teams as I was away getting the pies. grrrrr. ;D.
      Ddecker
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 49 
      Reply #68: Mar 20, 2019 01:33:04 am
      1990, first home game of the season when we were last defending champions, 2-0 win v notts forest, Ian rush hit the post after 11 seconds

Quick Reply