Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Fulham?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      5 (4.3%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (0.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (0.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      10 (8.7%)
       Fabinho
      5 (4.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      4 (3.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      72 (62.6%)
      Adam Lallana
      2 (1.7%)
      James Milner
      7 (6.1%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      4 (3.5%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Mar 21, 2019 04:05:37 pm

Fulham 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 24990 times
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Re: Fulham 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Mar 18, 2019 10:28:28 pm

Don't blame VVD for the goal, thought Alisson bottled it, should've come out and claimed that ball and took a hit for the team if needed.

I've watched it back a few times and it's a bit of both for me. There's no way it can all be put on Alisson because if you see where his starting position is, he's expecting VvD to do something with it which is understandable. VvD is somewhat to blame as he's in two minds - he begins shielding the ball before realising Babel is hot on his heels, so he then tries to head it back. Under hits that which then leaves Alisson to come out for it, and he's also in two minds and I think his first instinct was to clear it, hence how Babel gets in. An ugly goal like that is never just one persons fault, just two highly rated players both somehow making the slightly wrong decision simultaneously. Is what it is.

What I think we can all agree on is it was a terrible slice from Milner and he's the chief culprit. Alisson and VvD are positioned a certain way on the pitch to deal with the way the play should unfold - that is not at all how it should, hence the subsequent shitshow.

Got the three points, get in, bring on the home stretch in a couple weeks!
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #461: Mar 18, 2019 10:32:09 pm
      If Shaqiri isn't perceived to be doing a good enough job in training (as some have speculated) then why should he play him?

Just got a notification he's out of Switzerlands Euro matches with a groin injury. Wonder if that's been sneaking under the radar for awhile?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #462: Mar 18, 2019 11:09:07 pm
      Just got a notification he's out of Switzerlands Euro matches with a groin injury. Wonder if that's been sneaking under the radar for awhile?

wouldn't be surprised if he was carrying a little injury. Which is why maybe klopp hasnt been playin him as much, we dont always know 100% of the info in these matters. A manager may not also want to announce a player is slightly injured, although sometimes they do say it. i dunno. 
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #463: Mar 19, 2019 08:26:36 am
      Alisson should of dive on the ball to catch it not go in half heartedly with his feet
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #464: Mar 19, 2019 09:35:07 am
      Alisson should of dive on the ball to catch it not go in half heartedly with his feet

Yeah it was three mistakes but I found his part in the goal the worst.

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #465: Mar 19, 2019 10:30:50 am
      Weak header from VVD. The ball ended up at Alisson's feet. He should've headed high and slow and it will be keeper's ball. But it was short, low and weak. And Babel pounced. Mo would've buried that too.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #466: Mar 19, 2019 11:03:51 am
      We don't do things the easy way do we?

Negatives:  Klopp's insistence on keeping Shaqiri on the bench and preferring Origi/Milner, VVD's first "error", unnecessary relinquishing of a clean sheet, Salah's goal scoring draught

Positives:  Mane's on fire, still created chances and controlled the game, some wonderful attacking play from the full backs including sweeping cross-field balls, Fabinho continues to boss...oh and we won  :)

Nervy and edgy, but put into perspective, 3 games in a week, 3 wins, back on top of the table and we seem to be over the blip. Not complaining much, massive congrats to the lads, march on reds.

Wee Big Shaq has been carrying a hamstring Injury supposedly. Hence klopps reluctance to use him unless really really needed too.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #467: Mar 19, 2019 11:05:09 am
      I've watched it back a few times and it's a bit of both for me. There's no way it can all be put on Alisson because if you see where his starting position is, he's expecting VvD to do something with it which is understandable. VvD is somewhat to blame as he's in two minds - he begins shielding the ball before realising Babel is hot on his heels, so he then tries to head it back. Under hits that which then leaves Alisson to come out for it, and he's also in two minds and I think his first instinct was to clear it, hence how Babel gets in. An ugly goal like that is never just one persons fault, just two highly rated players both somehow making the slightly wrong decision simultaneously. Is what it is.

What I think we can all agree on is it was a terrible slice from Milner and he's the chief culprit. Alisson and VvD are positioned a certain way on the pitch to deal with the way the play should unfold - that is not at all how it should, hence the subsequent shitshow.

Got the three points, get in, bring on the home stretch in a couple weeks!

mistakes by 3 players for their goal. these things happen. We move on, we got all 3 points.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #468: Mar 20, 2019 08:50:28 am

Said the same in a previous post mate, no question of the lad being blanked for whatever reason.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #469: Mar 20, 2019 09:03:47 am

Babel skipped past VVD and nullified his back-pass to Alisson who stood no chance of securing the pass anyway, the inevitable result of Milner's badly hit clearance.
      Alisson and VVD were forced into panic mode.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #470: Mar 20, 2019 10:15:50 am
      Babel skipped past VVD and nullified his back-pass to Alisson who stood no chance of securing the pass anyway, the inevitable result of Milner's badly hit clearance.
      Alisson and VVD were forced into panic mode.

Would have been nice of somebody to give Virgil a shout to let him know he was under pressure.
      It looked like he thought he could just shield it to Allison.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #471: Mar 20, 2019 12:30:51 pm
      Would have been nice of somebody to give Virgil a shout to let him know he was under pressure.
      It looked like he thought he could just shield it to Allison.

It all happens so quickly - albeit as a viewer it looked like it took about 20 seconds - you can see VvD is immediately uncomfortable because for once he's not in command of the 'real estate' (how can you be off a mishit like that?)

Then from his face the second he heads the ball you can tell he knows he's mistimed it (which again can happen to anyone with a slice like that).

I initially thought Alisson should have fell on it but Babel is too close and he'd have gotten contact by time the big man got down there so I don't think he's any option but to try to tackle or boot it away and risk deflection going in.

Something and nothing - just a freak show all round with some little lessons for both big men.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #472: Mar 20, 2019 01:06:17 pm
      Wee Big Shaq has been carrying a hamstring Injury supposedly. Hence klopps reluctance to use him unless really really needed too.

Well this would make more sense. I get the point people have made regarding perhaps lack of effort during training, in which case I would understand. But almost every game he has come on this season he has made a positive impact and looked lively.

If it's the injury, the completely understandable of course.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #473: Mar 20, 2019 02:42:18 pm
      It all happens so quickly - albeit as a viewer it looked like it took about 20 seconds - you can see VvD is immediately uncomfortable because for once he's not in command of the 'real estate' (how can you be off a mishit like that?)

Then from his face the second he heads the ball you can tell he knows he's mistimed it (which again can happen to anyone with a slice like that).

I initially thought Alisson should have fell on it but Babel is too close and he'd have gotten contact by time the big man got down there so I don't think he's any option but to try to tackle or boot it away and risk deflection going in.

Something and nothing - just a freak show all round with some little lessons for both big men.

I agree, one of those sh*t happens moments where a sequence of small errors leads to a big F**k up. Luckily we came back and won and as long as they learn that next time, if in doubt, boot the ball into touch then all is good, mind you perhaps that's what James was trying to do ;-)
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #474: Mar 22, 2019 08:56:16 am
      Quote from FATKOPITE10
      Yipee, international break, just what everyone wants...

What's the difference between an international break and an enforced break for getting kicked out of the cups? At least the players will be playing proper games this time, not heading off to Spain to be bored.

Didn't see the game live, so when I saw the result 90 minutes after the final whistle, I was happy to have won and get the job done, but disappointed we didn't make any significant inroads on the goal difference. It certainly put the kibosh on Rob Palmer's rather optimistic 6-0 prediction before the game.

When I saw the game later on, our first goal was as good as anything Barca B up the road come up with. Sharp, slick, decisive, goal. Everyone has their idea of who to blame for the leveller. For me, it's VVD sorry. He had the chance to boot it well into Row Z and should have done so. We can gloss over it now, but if that was Lovren and/or Migs responsible instead, there would be an inquest about it until the next game. Goal 70 of the season was deserved though. It was a penalty, even if it was very similar to the penalties Salah was winning at Christmas. Thankfully though, there was no media talk of "thresholds" about this one, and it was enough to get us over the line.

Since being 4 points behind (Rib instantly dismissing the title race as "one team in it.. we can't compete") we've scored 6 goals and taken 6 points to put us clear at the top. When everyone comes back, the run in begins on the day BST resumes, a win will be our first double against Spurs in 4 years, keep us on our perch and set us up nicely for the remaining games.

Quick Reply