Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Funny moments at the match.

Read 2229 times
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 845 posts | 235 
      Funny moments at the match.
      Mar 22, 2019 06:46:05 pm
      A number of funny things have happened over the years. 1977 F.A. Cup Semi Final at Maine Road, between Us and the rough lot across the park.

Both sets of supporters, Reds and Blues with absolutely no trouble at all,  were crowded into the stand opposite the players dressing room, packed like sardines.

During the match, the crowd started swaying, and moving about. Then a voice wailed "I've lost me shoe!"

Immediately back came the reply "What size is it?"

Couldn't help but laugh.

Any other funny moments you can remember?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,384 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Funny moments at the match.
      Reply #1: Mar 22, 2019 07:30:14 pm
      Remember a home game v swindon when a swindon player got injured and a very distinctive colour haired physio came on to a chant behind me of 'there's only one jimmy saville' , was funny at the time.also beating arsenal title winning team 4-0 when the arsenal fans sang 'we only win when we have to' to which the witty guys behind replied with 'we never win when we have to'. The big bald homer simpson lookalike st john's ambulance man who would make any injured player or person recover dramatically  one pint of guiness chant.  at jamie lawrence. David james nailing a bloke carrying drinks with a kick in the warm up. God's grass sniffing, the streaker going over to cantona. The inflatable posh spice doll waved at Beckham . singing who's afraid of the big bad wolf to vinnie jones. Waiting for the point in every game when the old guy behind would shout 'earn your corn'
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #2: Mar 22, 2019 09:33:31 pm
      I was in the Anfield Road end for a reserve game. Alec Lindsay was playing and he had a hell of a shot on him.
      He let one go from outside the box and it sailed over the bar.....and hit a bloke carrying a tray of cups of tea which went everywhere much to everyones amusement. Lindsay was very apologetic
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Mar 23, 2019 06:48:22 am
      It happened on many occasions but it used to be funny when someone from the Kop run on the pitch and gave Gordon West a handbag.Gordon the Everton goalie in the 1960s took it all well.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #4: Mar 23, 2019 12:12:14 pm
      It happened on many occasions but it used to be funny when someone from the Kop run on the pitch and gave Gordon West a handbag.Gordon the Everton goalie in the 1960s took it all well.

Remember him well, Billy, I think his name was Hughie, and he always wore a long mac and pumps. And usually ran on and tried to kick  a balloon into the Kop goal.  Remember him trying to give Honey West a handbag, and West taking it in good humour.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #5: Apr 04, 2019 10:03:32 pm
      My Dad worked at Liverpool Web Offset printing press in Bootle in the late 60's/70's printing stuff like the Bootle Times.
      Working alongside him, in and out of the darkroom was a photographer called Eddie "Scoop" Barford.
      Eddie used to get to go to both Anfield and Goodison with his trusty Rolliflex camera and cover the games for the Echo.
      Back then, photographers would position themselves either side of the goal, lying on a sheet of tarpaulin waiting for that ultimate money shot

"Good lad Eddie" me ol man tells me, very funny bloke, went on to work in Old Hall st at Echo HQ when the Bootle press closed.

Anyways.... Dad can't remember when exactly it was but both Liverpool and Everton had home FA Cup ties on the same day, same kick off time, which happened a few times in the late 60's early 70's ( how mad is that, when you think about it nowadays)
      Eddie thought he could scoop the money shot from each game by lying at the side of the Kop goal first half then legging it across Stanley Park and sitting at the side of the Park end goal for the second half of the Blueshite game.
      Half time score at Anfield = 0-0 ( Eddie never photographed a goal :f_doh: )
      Half time score at Goodison = 2-1
      Full Time score at Anfield = 0-0
      Full time score at Goodison = 2-1 (Eddie never photographed a goal  :f_doh:)
      Poor Eddie.. shuffled back to the darkroom without any back page goal celebration shots..
      Hilarious stuff !

There's also a cracking photo taken from around the dugout area looking towards the Kop of Sir Roger Hunt scoring and half a dozen photographers either side of the goal have their heads down looking into their camera lenses taking the photo whilst Eddie has his head up watching the match  :lmao:

Some of the older members may remember/know him? and even the actual match day, although I'm told there were loads of occasions when both clubs played at the same time at home..
      Scotty road must've been interesting after the final whistle.. :f_whistle:

« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2019 09:07:22 am by 6stringer »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Apr 06, 2019 07:43:33 am
      I recall Joe Royle playing for Everton at Anfield,now it was well known that Joes Dad used to play the piano in a Liverpool pub.Joe missed a sitter at the Kop end and a lad on the Kop shouted ,(you are just like your old man Joe,he cant play either).

Quick Reply