Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

It couldn't happen today.

Read 3408 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      It couldn't happen today.
      Mar 24, 2019 06:49:35 am
      I was at Anfield on the 26th December 1953 and I am sure it was West Brom we played.We had no idea what the team would be until the players were coming out onto the pitch and they announced the team over the tannoy system.To our surprise we had signed 2 new players from Charlton,the players were Frank Lock a left full back and John Evans a inside forward.Our manager at the time was Don Welsh an ex Charlton player.With the media these days it would be impossible for a club to sign 2 players and the supporters not to have any idea till the players stepped out on to the pitch
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: It couldn't happen today.
      Reply #1: Mar 24, 2019 10:02:53 am
      Thats right Billy.

Now we are in the days of rumour mongering because they all have to sell the media.
      Its quite depressing to get to the end of a transfer window and find none of the "rumours" or spin as they call it were true.

No.
      It couldnt happen today.
      Big press conference by the club would tell us.
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2019 10:09:09 am by MIRO »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #2: Mar 24, 2019 10:22:58 am
      Exactly, we wouldn't be signing 2 players from Charlton today I'd hope ;)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3: Mar 24, 2019 10:32:01 am
      It would be impossible, not for any reasons mentioned yet. There is no transfer window open right now.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #4: Mar 24, 2019 11:40:44 am

Last bloke seems to be going alright so far.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #5: Mar 24, 2019 12:16:29 pm
      I was at Anfield on the 26th December 1953 and I am sure it was West Brom we played.We had no idea what the team would be until the players were coming out onto the pitch and they announced the team over the tannoy system.To our surprise we had signed 2 new players from Charlton,the players were Frank Lock a left full back and John Evans a inside forward.Our manager at the time was Don Welsh an ex Charlton player.With the media these days it would be impossible for a club to sign 2 players and the supporters not to have any idea till the players stepped out on to the pitch

24   25.12.1953   22   L   2 - 5   West Bromwich Albion   The Hawthorns   
      25   26.12.1953   22   D   0 - 0   West Bromwich Albion   Anfield   

Two games in two days, that wouldn't happen either, looking at that season, you must have had a bad time.

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/54

Bottom of Table.
      22   Liverpool FC   P42   W7   D8   L6   F49   A38   W2   D2   L17   F19   A59      Pts28
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2019 12:20:54 pm by RedPuppy »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Mar 24, 2019 01:10:52 pm
      Last bloke seems to be going alright so far.

That's true
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Mar 24, 2019 08:58:18 pm
      It would be impossible, not for any reasons mentioned yet. There is no transfer window open right now.

If my memory serves me right they didn't have transfer windows in those days.Also if a club did not want to release a player for international duty they did not have to.Not all things change for the better.
                                                Also for your info I don't think there was an offside rule in those days as John Willy Parker of Everton fame would tell you if he is still around.
      « Last Edit: Mar 24, 2019 09:21:29 pm by Billy1 »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Mar 24, 2019 09:40:42 pm
      24   25.12.1953   22   L   2 - 5   West Bromwich Albion   The Hawthorns   
      25   26.12.1953   22   D   0 - 0   West Bromwich Albion   Anfield   

Two games in two days, that wouldn't happen either, looking at that season, you must have had a bad time.

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Games/54

Bottom of Table.
      22   Liverpool FC   P42   W7   D8   L6   F49   A38   W2   D2   L17   F19   A59      Pts28

That season was the start of our decline,thank God Bill Shankly arrived in 1959.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #9: Mar 25, 2019 09:21:32 am

We signed Joe Gomez from there not so long ago and that worked out!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Mar 25, 2019 12:41:01 pm
      Thank God Bill Shankly arrived in 1959.

I'm on my knees right now Billy.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #11: Apr 02, 2019 01:07:17 pm
      If my memory serves me right they didn't have transfer windows in those days.Also if a club did not want to release a player for international duty they did not have to.Not all things change for the better.
                                                Also for your info I don't think there was an offside rule in those days as John Willy Parker of Everton fame would tell you if he is still around.

you were lucky to 'ave a window..all we had was a hole in wall..aye..we used to walk te game in our bare feet..aye..then scrounge a few pennies to get in..copper wud beet us wit trunchen..after te game we had to clean up the kop end ..eat all the cold soggy chips lying abart the place..then scrub terrace clean wit toothbrush..aye but we were 'appy..
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #12: Apr 02, 2019 05:12:23 pm
      you were lucky to 'ave a window..all we had was a hole in wall..aye..we used to walk te game in our bare feet..aye..then scrounge a few pennies to get in..copper wud beet us wit trunchen..after te game we had to clean up the kop end ..eat all the cold soggy chips lying abart the place..then scrub terrace clean wit toothbrush..aye but we were 'appy..

.... and we lived in shoebox in't the road....

With Respect to MPFC
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #13: Apr 02, 2019 05:24:51 pm
      .... and we lived in shoebox in't the road....

With Respect to MPFC

You tell kids today and they don't believe you
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #14: Apr 02, 2019 06:23:23 pm
      We signed Joe Gomez from there not so long ago and that worked out!

And before that we signed Shelvey who did ok for a while before being sold on for a tidy profit.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #15: Apr 02, 2019 06:54:50 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Apr 02, 2019 06:55:01 pm

No substitutes. One effect of that today would be to reduce our Live match thread by 50 percent.  ;D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #17: Apr 02, 2019 07:31:00 pm
      No substitutes. One effect of that today would be to reduce our Live match thread by 50 percent.  ;D

Where do I sign?
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #18: Apr 02, 2019 07:44:55 pm
      Turned a corner when Bill Shankly arrived at the club, and seemingly carried on from strength to strength, under the boot room staff.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Apr 02, 2019 09:45:56 pm
      Turned a corner when Bill Shankly arrived at the club, and seemingly carried on from strength to strength, under the boot room staff.

How many managers today would keep on the existing boot room staff  like Bill Shankly did.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #20: Apr 04, 2019 05:44:05 pm
      John Barnes just telling a story of how Liverpool used to play their games early on sat , and then all pop off to aintree for the national , him and Hansen had a race on the course down to Beechers where Digger proceeded to pull his hammy and then missing three league games, how the game has moved ,
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #21: Apr 04, 2019 08:30:28 pm

Even the end of a contract didn’t give players the option to move. Clubs held on tonplayers regidtrations which prevented them from moving, so if a club wanted to keep a player, they had an option. Play for us, or you won’t play anywhere.
      Then came the Bosnan ruling from the high court and players the had the right to move at the end of their contract if they do wished.
      Unfortunately for Bosnan himself. Although he won his case, it took so long to achieve, his footy career was pretty much over.
      Modern day players hero.
      He done as much for players as Jimmy Hill did, to abolish the £10 per week maximum wage 😳
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #22: Apr 04, 2019 09:41:20 pm
      Even the end of a contract didn’t give players the option to move. Clubs held on tonplayers regidtrations which prevented them from moving, so if a club wanted to keep a player, they had an option. Play for us, or you won’t play anywhere.
      Then came the Bosnan ruling from the high court and players the had the right to move at the end of their contract if they do wished.
      Unfortunately for Bosnan himself. Although he won his case, it took so long to achieve, his footy career was pretty much over.
      Modern day players hero.
      He done as much for players as Jimmy Hill did, to abolish the £10 per week maximum wage 😳

Liverpool actually did that with Sammy Smyth in the 1950's.Rangers also did the same with Willy Stevenson when he walked out on them and tried to sign for an Australian club.Rangers refused to sign his release and he had to return to them.It was a good thing as he signed for us and was a brilliant left half,he replaced Tommy Leishman in the team-another brilliant Shankly signing.
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2019 07:25:46 am by Billy1 »

Quick Reply