Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      5 (3.8%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      60 (45.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      57 (43.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (3%)
       Fabinho
      3 (2.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: Apr 04, 2019 06:23:34 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29516 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Mar 31, 2019 07:29:15 pm
      No denying it though, it was the midfield that was costing us today, they just weren't at the races and I think I heard a stat in the game that in the last 12 games that we have started with Hendo and Milly, we have gotten something like 5 points (before today)...whether that's right or not I don't know.
      It's clear that the combination of Milner, Henderson and Gini is just not good enough in the offense department. When they have a bad game defensively it just becomes a mess.

Our main problem is that Keita was supposed to be the man driving the ball forward and giving us a creative spark and he just did not hit the ground running for more than one reason (injuries being one of them). With Ox being injured this just leaves us with a ''toothless'' midfield. 

I took a quick look at City's midfield offensive contribution in comparison to ours on transfermarkt and the difference is massive. Their midfield contributed ''directly'' to 25 goals in the PL (via goals and assists). Our midfield contributed to 15 goals (13 if we don't consider two successfully converted penalties from Milner).

I would've certainly and happily taken a goal or two from our midfield against West Ham and Leicester.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #507: Mar 31, 2019 07:29:18 pm
      Not often I agree with Jack Charlton, but he f**king nailed it about how fullbacks would become such important attacking players, nearly 30 years ago.

Robertson has been immense this season, and is seemingly made of granite.
      When you look at some of the hits he takes, it's amazing he's not injured more, but he has a knack of riding the hits as well.

Phil Neal scoring in the European Cup Final inside the 6 yard box. Liverpool fullbacks have been doing this for 40 years . Chris Lawler Alec Lindsay ….
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #508: Mar 31, 2019 07:37:14 pm
      My biggest complaint about the midfield today I think is Hendo, there's some games where he will completely boss the midfield and have such a control on things but then today it was the complete opposite and why the hell did he let Kane take that quick free kick - use your head and stand over the ball and stop him from taking a quick one, let your team get back into shape and take a bit of sting out of their attack. But instead he just turned and started jogging back to his own position, he'd have probably seen Trippier making the run in all that space! If you have to take a yellow card by standing over the ball then do it, just don't let them get the play going again straight away when they have the momentum.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #509: Mar 31, 2019 07:40:01 pm
      I love how everyone that criticise the team gets labelled as a miserable c**t. Everyone on this forum is f**king happy we won and wants to win the league badly.  The result doesn’t change the fact the 2nd half was terrible and Klopp made multiple mistakes. Pointing things out the team needs to improve on doesn’t make you a c**t

Except you didn’t criticize the team. You posted sh*t like ‘Klopp has been a bottle job all season’ and ‘thank god all the keepers we’ve faced have been sh*t’. Blatantly not true and wummery of the highest order. Christ knows how you would react if we really were struggling instead of being top of the league. What have I said that isn’t true? You said both those things and to boil our season down to ‘bottling’ and crap keepers is a joke.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #510: Mar 31, 2019 07:40:18 pm
      My biggest complaint about the midfield today I think is Hendo, there's some games where he will completely boss the midfield and have such a control on things but then today it was the complete opposite and why the hell did he let Kane take that quick free kick - use your head and stand over the ball and stop him from taking a quick one, let your team get back into shape and take a bit of sting out of their attack. But instead he just turned and started jogging back to his own position, he'd have probably seen Trippier making the run in all that space! If you have to take a yellow card by standing over the ball then do it, just don't let them get the play going again straight away when they have the momentum.

why do you think JĂźrgen picks him if he is fit?.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #511: Mar 31, 2019 07:40:29 pm
      I love how everyone that criticise the team gets labelled as a miserable c**t. Everyone on this forum is f**king happy we won and wants to win the league badly.  The result doesn’t change the fact the 2nd half was terrible and Klopp made multiple mistakes. Pointing things out the team needs to improve on doesn’t make you a c**t

You’re a miserable c**t
      CT_LFC

• 6,811 posts | 1406 
      Reply #512: Mar 31, 2019 07:40:55 pm
      Whether you deserve them or not doesn’t matter, all it does is that you get 3 points and we did just that today. Holy F**k what an end and VVD us a F***ing giant of a defender.

Impossible to like the diving Spurs but they can play some wonderful football. Some of their play in the 2nd half when they were manhandling us was impressive.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,817 posts | 471 
      Reply #513: Mar 31, 2019 07:41:32 pm
      LFC website saying VVd hurt in 85th minute from a collision with a spurs player, had ice on his leg, any other news about him?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #514: Mar 31, 2019 07:41:44 pm
      Loved the reaction after conceding even though spurs still looked dangerous. We started to play again and ultimately it paid off.

F***ing superb!
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,921 posts | 821 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #515: Mar 31, 2019 07:41:53 pm
      F**k me, we have just won the most important game in our season to date in the most dramatic fashion and we have fans calling each other cu*ts left right and center.

Can't we just enjoy the win FFS!

We all want the same thing, performances are irrelevant at this stage of the season, all that matters is the three points.
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #516: Mar 31, 2019 07:42:58 pm
      Henderson had an average game. The game never followed a pattern esp in the second and Hendo doesn't do off the cuff as well as a defined role.

It showed when Fab came on, he is a bit better off the cuff and he did well.He must be in the frame for Hendo's place. One thing is clear it has to improve. We don't look like champions, that doesn't matter so much if we keep winning but on another day we could've easily dropped points today and " another day" will happen..if we carry on going down to the wire.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,028 posts | 529 
      Reply #517: Mar 31, 2019 07:44:58 pm

Yeah. I like Hendo overall, but he had a poor game today. I think a lot depends on how advanced our FBs are for Hendo. When they are pushed up he can sit and hit those nice floating balls out wide, that he is actually very good at. Once Spurs started dealing with our FBs, and we had to play through the middle more, his lack of penetration in his passing comes more to the fore. He needs a midfield partner who he can feed and who can then break the lines, but Milner and Gini don't do that too much. Was very noticeable that Fab is a more penetrating passer through the middle when he came on.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #518: Mar 31, 2019 07:46:05 pm
      Here’s hoping that in years to come, we look back on games like this, Fulham and Everton very fondly and think “those were the moments that led to us winning the league”.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #519: Mar 31, 2019 07:46:23 pm
      Sorry folks but saying vvd was responsible for sissoko missing that chance is absolute.bollocks.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #520: Mar 31, 2019 07:46:28 pm
      Phil Neal scoring in the European Cup Final inside the 6 yard box. Liverpool fullbacks have been doing this for 40 years . Chris Lawler Alec Lindsay ….

Yep they have.

Role has changed but we’ve always been pioneers.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #521: Mar 31, 2019 07:49:15 pm
      Sorry folks but saying vvd was responsible for sissoko missing that chance is absolute.bollocks.

Sorry mate but you’re wrong.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #522: Mar 31, 2019 07:49:23 pm
      Chris Lawler score 46 goals in 400 appearances as a fullback he would have found the game today so easy and he played on cabbage patches
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      Reply #523: Mar 31, 2019 07:51:47 pm
      Yep they have.

Role has changed but we’ve always been pioneers.

Sweeper keepers too
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      Reply #524: Mar 31, 2019 07:52:42 pm
      Yeah. I like Hendo overall, but he had a poor game today. I think a lot depends on how advanced our FBs are for Hendo. When they are pushed up he can sit and hit those nice floating balls out wide, that he is actually very good at. Once Spurs started dealing with our FBs, and we had to play through the middle more, his lack of penetration in his passing comes more to the fore. He needs a midfield partner who he can feed and who can then break the lines, but Milner and Gini don't do that too much. Was very noticeable that Fab is a more penetrating passer through the middle when he came on.

The issue for me is playing the 3 of them at the same time
      Redangel

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #525: Mar 31, 2019 07:58:03 pm
      I am just enjoying the 3 points, at this part of the season I don’t really care how we get them, just that we get them! Just keep winning Redmen, that’s all we can ask!
      Harrisimo

• 8,288 posts | 1402 
      Reply #526: Mar 31, 2019 08:00:38 pm
      Chris Lawler score 46 goals in 400 appearances as a fullback he would have found the game today so easy and he played on cabbage patches

The "Ghost" was an incredible opportunistic full back. He was always lurking with intent 25-30 yards out and could also make a late run into the box. Our current duo are different in that they raid down the flanks, more wing backs than full back. All clubs have them but we have the best two.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #527: Mar 31, 2019 08:04:24 pm
      This club is going to kill me. I'm either going to have a devastating stroke or my heart will just pop like a balloon.

What a match. It went from utter despair, thinking that's it, title gone.  Too an unreal, amazing, last minute, injury time winner. Just UNBELIEVABLE!  Idk? Can it be our year? Are the Football gods shining upon us? I'm so proud of this Club. They just fight to the final whistle.

MOTM..Robertson. I almost gave it to VVD but Robertsons cross to Robbo was sublime and that block in the box saved a goal. He was on from the first second. Involved up front, great distribution and was a wall on defense.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #528: Mar 31, 2019 08:04:58 pm
      They scored off a free kick that wasn't a free kick, the lad went over when he felt contact from Hendo, way to much of that going on these days, they hit a great long ball and they're in. And from there on they seemed the more likely, Mo was having an off day, Delli Ali curler could easily have crept in, 2 on 1 versus the big man that they blaze it over the bar etc.

Was worried BUT … and it's a big BUT … even though Spuds were maybe the better side in the 2nd half, JĂźrgen still went for it to win it. A striker and a mid for two mids.  We piled guys forward even though it left us a bit short at the back. And even though some of the lads didn't perform at their best, we again showed massive character and desire to go and get the win when maybe we didn't deserve it. And that's what you need to do to win titles.

Delighted for all the lads, and for the manager. Questions keep getting asked, and we keep answering them. Who's gonna blink first. Back over to Citeh ...

Think they have a more difficult April than us. Good to see Spuds in good form. Burnley and CP won't be pushovers, and Manure can be good on their day.

Running out of games, such fine margins - had we lost today, would've been massive for Citeh. Turned out massive for us - and a big psychological boost too.

We're not going away, gotta think this is going to go right to the end ...

Quick Reply