Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      5 (3.8%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      60 (45.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      57 (43.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (3%)
       Fabinho
      3 (2.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: Apr 04, 2019 06:23:34 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28849 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Apr 01, 2019 12:03:34 am
      Listened to the game on 5 live, so waited for motd to see the highlites.
      Had a motm in mind prior but wanted visual confirmation.
      Robbo was top drawer, Bob was very good first half, as we’re mosy of our players. Second half we lost it in the middle of the park, and the changes made were s bit strange. Put us under lots of pressure to he counter.
      Thank god we have VVD !
      Usual solid self, but that incident
       1 v 2. Not sure there’s another centre back who could have played that like he did. Imense player, and my motm.

I went for Robbo. Cross put on Bobby's head and Robbo also made a great last ditch block. So consistent and effective as well. VVD did well. Matip holding his place and TAA putting in dangerous crosses. Mo a little bit off but he gives 100% and doesn't hide.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #576: Apr 01, 2019 12:30:39 am
      I went for Robbo. Cross put on Bobby's head and Robbo also made a great last ditch block. So consistent and effective as well. VVD did well. Matip holding his place and TAA putting in dangerous crosses. Mo a little bit off but he gives 100% and doesn't hide.

I went  for Robbo as well.
      DutchLiverpoolFan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,086 posts | 61 
      Re: Live: Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur
      Reply #577: Apr 01, 2019 12:44:11 am
      If this isn't a fair weather fan, I don't know who is.
      Look at that. A fan being frustrated after a terrible 2nd half performance and potentially throwing any chance on the title away. What a shocker. I don’t know how many fans can stay happy when dropping points against an opponent we should be beating. I’m guessing not many

I really really hope and still believe that we will win the league but after December we should’ve been in a better position. Notice how I said it’s a bottle job from Klopp and not the team. If he was braver in a lot of games we would’ve won them. I do acknowledge his achievements with the team this season and I wouldn’t want anybody else as a manager. But there are so many things he can/could/should’ve done better the last 2 months and fans have pointed those things out.

About the positivity thing. I praise and criticise the team. Nothing wrong with that. The fact I criticise the team doesn’t mean I don’t support them. Some people here think the team is immune to criticism.

Well of course we aren’t in this position because of the keepers of the opposition. But they have definitely helped us. I think we have at least gained 6 points because of their mistakes where in the past keepers usually played their best games of their life against us.

And last but not least. People really should take comments during the match less seriously. People will make emotional comments during the game, especially in a stressful title fight. So to insult them is incredibly low.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019 12:58:58 am by DutchLiverpoolFan »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #578: Apr 01, 2019 01:10:30 am
      I thought first half we played very well and with better finishing/final ball we should of been 2 or 3 up but second half Spurs adjusted and we never really matched it until they scored and we had to push on for the win. I thought TAA/Robbo both had very good games attacking wise really pushing the attack and Firmino was offering great passes through the middle. Salah continues to look like he is fighting it and Mane in the second half went a bit quiet. Milner was the best out of the trio in the middle while Gini had a poor showing and this game shows unless he is not fit Fabinho should be in the starting XI.

Big thing is we put pressure on City and continue to fight them for the title until the very end
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #579: Apr 01, 2019 01:23:29 am
      Did anyone noticed that 2 of our corner kicks nearly curled into spuds goal? Who took those corner kicks? I like that, it is nightmare for defenders and the goalkeeper.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #580: Apr 01, 2019 01:33:14 am
      Did anyone noticed that 2 of our corner kicks nearly curled into spuds goal? Who took those corner kicks? I like that, it is nightmare for defenders and the goalkeeper.

It was Trent that took them, the wind played quite a big part on one of them though I think. We were just crowding out the keeper in the 6 yard box.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #581: Apr 01, 2019 01:40:56 am
      Quite happy with the performance today, and although I personally believe that our second half performance today was had more to do with Spurs upping thier play than We(LFC) dropping ours but I defend anyone who claims  we played poorly in the second half. You have a right to that opinion...

Felt that Klopp got the substitution spot on today, keep the from three on the pitch and adding Origi and Fab' for Milner and Henderson, not so happy with the late substitution of Lovren (A defender) for Salah (A attacker) as in the past doing so has cost use goals, points and added what a feel was unnecessary pressure defensively late on.

Would still like to see us (LFC) play a more attacking style of football as in last seasons style as I believe with those addition of Fab' Robertson, Becker and especially VVD we are far more robust in defense than we were last season
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #582: Apr 01, 2019 01:58:09 am
      Quite happy with the performance today, and although I personally believe that our second half performance today was had more to do with Spurs upping thier play than We(LFC) dropping ours but I defend anyone who claims  we played poorly in the second half. You have a right to that opinion...

Felt that Klopp got the substitution spot on today, keep the from three on the pitch and adding Origi and Fab' for Milner and Henderson, not so happy with the late substitution of Lovren (A defender) for Salah (A attacker) as in the past doing so has cost use goals, points and added what a feel was unnecessary pressure defensively late on.

Would still like to see us (LFC) play a more attacking style of football as in last seasons style as I believe with those addition of Fab' Robertson, Becker and especially VVD we are far more robust in defense than we were last season

Agree with much of this but just to say I understand bringing Lovren on with just a couple of minutes of injury time remaining and a one goal lead. Having another player who can win a ball in the air for any last gasp attack makes sense in that situation.
      Gerrardsitchyear
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #583: Apr 01, 2019 06:23:22 am
      Reading all the match reports in the papers and BBC this morning and getting a little pissed off with all the comments about how we didn't deserve all three points.

Yes, Spurs had a few chances to win and out performed us in the second half. However, this completed misses the fact that we equally dominated the first half and really should have been 2 or 3 up before the half time whistle anyway. Plus their goal really shouldn't have stood, as the ball was still when when Kane took the free kick, which hasn't been mentioned anywhere apart from on Sky during and after the game.

We still had more shots overrall and more on target.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #584: Apr 01, 2019 06:37:16 am
      To be fair, i was going to come in here and have a rant but having read the last 8 or so pages since the final whistle went, no need to do that.

I'm just gonna go with GET THE F**k INNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Edit: Crouchie, your post about wanting VVD to hold you so you feel safe, is my post of the Year!!!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #585: Apr 01, 2019 06:53:27 am
      Look at that. A fan being frustrated after a terrible 2nd half performance and potentially throwing any chance on the title away. What a shocker. I don’t know how many fans can stay happy when dropping points against an opponent we should be beating. I’m guessing not many

I really really hope and still believe that we will win the league but after December we should’ve been in a better position. Notice how I said it’s a bottle job from Klopp and not the team. If he was braver in a lot of games we would’ve won them. I do acknowledge his achievements with the team this season and I wouldn’t want anybody else as a manager. But there are so many things he can/could/should’ve done better the last 2 months and fans have pointed those things out.

About the positivity thing. I praise and criticise the team. Nothing wrong with that. The fact I criticise the team doesn’t mean I don’t support them. Some people here think the team is immune to criticism.

Well of course we aren’t in this position because of the keepers of the opposition. But they have definitely helped us. I think we have at least gained 6 points because of their mistakes where in the past keepers usually played their best games of their life against us.

And last but not least. People really should take comments during the match less seriously. People will make emotional comments during the game, especially in a stressful title fight. So to insult them is incredibly low.

I agree, I shouldn’t have got so wound up yesterday and started lobbing insults your way. Genuinely sorry and was way out of line to start saying miserable c**t etc. It caused the thread to derail a little. We’re all wanting the same thing in the end it’s it’s just a football forum at the end of the day. Again, apologies.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019 07:20:42 am by RedWilly »
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Live: Liverpool v Tottenham Hotspur
      Reply #586: Apr 01, 2019 07:09:33 am

‘Terrible second half performance’ - do you not realise how good a team Spurs are? They set up perfectly against us and we couldn’t cope. It was exactly the same last year at Anfield. Yet we hung in there, didn’t panic after conceding and kept going for the second and yes - F***ing won the game.

How old are you? If you don’t mind me asking. I’m guessing you’ve only recently started watching football?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #587: Apr 01, 2019 07:56:44 am
      ‘Terrible second half performance’ - do you not realise how good a team Spurs are? They set up perfectly against us and we couldn’t cope. It was exactly the same last year at Anfield. Yet we hung in there, didn’t panic after conceding and kept going for the second and yes - f**king won the game.

How old are you? If you don’t mind me asking. I’m guessing you’ve only recently started watching football?

How good are Spurs to have lost 10 games already!

It’s ok to admit we were a bit sh*te yesterday.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #588: Apr 01, 2019 08:39:38 am
      Edit: Crouchie, your post about wanting VVD to hold you so you feel safe, is my post of the Year!!!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I told no lie!

:D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #589: Apr 01, 2019 08:57:08 am
      How good are Spurs to have lost 10 games already!

It’s ok to admit we were a bit sh*te yesterday.

Read my comments during the game, I was moaning a lot about minimal composure in the middle of the park, so many passes to nobody. We could have easily lost so yeah, we deffo could have played much much better.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #590: Apr 01, 2019 09:01:08 am
      ‘Terrible second half performance’ - do you not realise how good a team Spurs are? They set up perfectly against us and we couldn’t cope. It was exactly the same last year at Anfield. Yet we hung in there, didn’t panic after conceding and kept going for the second and yes - f**king won the game.

Are you saying that Spurs are better than us then??
      I my opinion they are not but Spurs changed their formation, mid game and as usual Klopp did not react until after they had scored, it is my one big gripe against Jürgen, oh and his go to midfield of Hendo, Gini and Milner despite Fabinho being a much better midfielder.

I agree with Souness that we need to start playing better and shake off the nerves, we cannot rely on good fortune every game. Having said that Spurs was by far the hardest of our remaining games, but we need to start playing more positive and please no more Milner, Hendo and Gini against good dynamic midfields, it just doesn't work and gets easily overrun if teams attack, we've seen it to many times now.!
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019 09:05:56 am by heimdall »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #591: Apr 01, 2019 09:01:25 am
      I have just watched the highlights of the match and the thing that impressed me the most was the genuine appreciation and respect our REDS have for each other.To be a success on the pitch that sort of unity cannot be bought and full credit to Jürgen Klopp for bringing this unity to the club.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #592: Apr 01, 2019 09:08:12 am
      Anyone who says we weren't lucky or didn't play sh*t in that second half needs to re-watch the game!

Very fortunate to get the win yesterday but as people have rightly said, performances don't mean anything at the business end of the season as long as we are winning!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #593: Apr 01, 2019 10:29:08 am
      Anyone who says we weren't lucky or didn't play sh*t in that second half needs to re-watch the game!

Very fortunate to get the win yesterday but as people have rightly said, performances don't mean anything at the business end of the season as long as we are winning!

Lucky with the goal, but not necessarily lucky to win, as we could easily have had a couple in the first half, but Spurs were clearly better than us in the second half and if they play like that against Citeh then there is no reason to think they can't get a result.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #594: Apr 01, 2019 10:38:29 am
      why the hell did he let Kane take that quick free kick - use your head and stand over the ball and stop him from taking a quick one
      In fairness, Kane threw the ball back a few yards then whipped it out to the wing.  It was very quick thinking and a superb ball.  Whatever you think about Kane, it was a great piece of play and hard to counter.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #595: Apr 01, 2019 10:43:48 am

I think Liverpool had quite rightly targeted the goalkeeper.  He might have a World Cup winners medal but I've never been convinced.  He's their Mignolet and they should have got shut of him a long time ago. 
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #596: Apr 01, 2019 10:44:01 am
      Winning goal in Paris in '81 and the deciding penalty in Rome in '84...won't forget that in a hurry.
      and scored the equalizer against Utd in the '83 League cup final.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #597: Apr 01, 2019 10:46:13 am

We were the better team in the first half and should have been more than one up.  Spurs were the better team in the second half - although I don't particularly remember either keeper requiring match winning saves.

Match summary. Their midfield was more agile than ours and their keeper is worse than ours. Van Dijk does enough to put off Sissoko, Alderweireld puts the ball in his own net. 2-1.

Quick Reply