Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      5 (3.8%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      60 (45.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      57 (43.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (0.8%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (3%)
       Fabinho
      3 (2.3%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Voting closed: Apr 04, 2019 06:23:34 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 28871 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Apr 01, 2019 10:53:32 am
      Quote from YANK_LFC_FAN
      This club is going to kill me. I'm either going to have a devastating stroke or my heart will just pop like a balloon.

What a match. It went from utter despair, thinking that's it, title gone.  Too an unreal, amazing, last minute, injury time winner. Just UNBELIEVABLE!  Idk? Can it be our year? Are the Football gods shining upon us? I'm so proud of this Club. They just fight to the final whistle.

There were people streaming out of the ground with 5 minutes of normal time remaining. I'm scratching my head thinking why? You know the game isn't over until the final whistle sounds. Hope they are gutted that they missed something rather important.

Quote from DutchLiverpoolFan
      Look at that. A fan being frustrated after a terrible 2nd half performance and potentially throwing any chance on the title away. What a shocker. I don’t know how many fans can stay happy when dropping points against an opponent we should be beating. I’m guessing not many

I really really hope and still believe that we will win the league but after December we should’ve been in a better position. Notice how I said it’s a bottle job from Klopp and not the team. If he was braver in a lot of games we would’ve won them. I do acknowledge his achievements with the team this season and I wouldn’t want anybody else as a manager. But there are so many things he can/could/should’ve done better the last 2 months and fans have pointed those things out.

Well of course we aren’t in this position because of the keepers of the opposition. But they have definitely helped us. I think we have at least gained 6 points because of their mistakes where in the past keepers usually played their best games of their life against us.

And last but not least. People really should take comments during the match less seriously. People will make emotional comments during the game, especially in a stressful title fight. So to insult them is incredibly low.

So don't make comments during games, I don't. And don't talk about throwing titles away until at least games are over. A lot can happen in just a couple of minutes, especially when games are tight, like this one.

We earned the "luck" we got in this game. We pushed and pushed and pushed for the winner, and eventually they cracked. We've scored 20 odd goals after the 75 minutes this season, that's not luck, it's good professionalism.

But even if we don't get the luck we really need in games we can't control, it's still going to be a great season. After 32 games last year, City could name the date they wanted to win the league. They won't be able to this year, thanks to all the records we've set and continue to set. And I still think we're 1 year ahead of schedule in terms of challenging for the league, let alone winning it.

In 6 weeks time, the season will finish, and we'll be wondering how to fill the summer gap. Nobody will care that this game was an average performance, if we get over the line. Compared to the same game last year when we were awesome before half time and appalling after it, this game ebbed and flowed. Sometimes we were the dominant side, other times we had to dig in and hold out.

Klopp loves the tried and trusted trio in midfield. But you're not going to get much creativity and we didn't. On the other hand, when 2 of them went off, the midfield was badly exposed which led to the VVD contest against Sissoko. That's why Jürgen didn't put Shaq on at Everton, or any other time we have to defend often.

I'm not having it that we were lucky. Today was payback time for 12 months ago when we were done by Jon Moss and his merry band of shysters. That said, the second half that day was ten times worse than yesterday. At least yesterday, we gave as good as we got, and when we did drop the ball we didn't panic, we just went and won it again. Those 5-10 minute outbursts of mass panic after a setback, are now history.

There were lots of posters here and people elsewhere ready to tell us the season was over, until the 89 minute, and were clearly upset that they can't. All we can do atm is win the games and ask City if they can respond. This game was the start of the run in, and we've cleared it. Performances are not important right now, it's all about the points.

This was the first game of the run in, and the most difficult obstacle left. I thought it would be a struggle and it was. The performance doesn't matter much tbh, we did what we had to do. Now we move on, and hopefully rack up these 6 more wins. It may still not be enough, but if it isn't, just remind yourself what we are competing against. Don't anyone dare say we have failed, because we will have had a great season.
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019 11:15:00 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #599: Apr 01, 2019 11:16:39 am
      We were fortunate to win and that is what makes the win sweeter. Get the F**k in.
      I wouldn't mind 7 more 1-0 wins in the 90th minute that are all going to be own goals. It will get all the rival fans in a twist and they can keep ranting about how "lucky" Liverpool were. The only downside is the effect on my heart.

What a day! What a win! That is what champions do. Well done, redmen.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #600: Apr 01, 2019 11:17:15 am
      That makes no sense! He's fighting relegation, why would he play a weakened team? No chance!

He wont actually do that, hes said he could play his u23s, u21s and wouldn't make any difference because hes playing aainst refs and linos, its a dig at corrupt FA as he sees it.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #601: Apr 01, 2019 11:18:46 am
      Great win, another scrappy win, brilliant stuff.

Credit spuds they played well 2nd half. But we wanted it more.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #602: Apr 01, 2019 11:24:15 am
      Now that the dust has settled I do feel that we needed the rub of the green to get us over the line in the end. On the balance of things we were the better side in the first and they were dominant in the second. A lot of that is on Klopp you just can not expect to win and close out games against a side as strong as Spurs when you send out a midfield that isn't technically capable of controlling games. Milner and Hendo in a midfield of 3 is never reasurring and add to that Gini who has gone of the boil the last few weeks in my opinion and it's a recipe for disaster.

I do love the way we got the winner though they deserve nothing better after cheating their way to a point at Anfield last year, the diving cu*ts.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #603: Apr 01, 2019 12:18:04 pm
      Currently the best league campaign in the clubs history. A better set of league results than in our previous 127 years. 

Under normal circumstances that 18 point gap down to third would be the gap to second place.  We're unfortunate that there happens to be another astounding team in the league at present.

We'll all be a long time dead before a Liverpool team is on almost 80 points after 32 games again.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #604: Apr 01, 2019 12:24:59 pm
      Currently the best league campaign in the clubs history. A better set of league results than in our previous 127 years. 

Under normal circumstances that 18 point gap down to third would be the gap to second place.  We're unfortunate that there happens to be another astounding team in the league at present.

We'll all be a long time dead before a Liverpool team is on almost 80 points after 32 games again.

Christ, I hope not, because I'm hoping we're in the same position next season  :laugh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #605: Apr 01, 2019 01:17:52 pm
      Now that the dust has settled I do feel that we needed the rub of the green to get us over the line in the end. On the balance of things we were the better side in the first and they were dominant in the second. A lot of that is on Klopp you just can not expect to win and close out games against a side as strong as Spurs when you send out a midfield that isn't technically capable of controlling games. Milner and Hendo in a midfield of 3 is never reasurring and add to that Gini who has gone of the boil the last few weeks in my opinion and it's a recipe for disaster.

I do love the way we got the winner though they deserve nothing better after cheating their way to a point at Anfield last year, the diving cu*ts.

They cheated their way to a goal yesterday too. That ball hadn't stopped when Kane kicked it. I think I remember a Suarez goal for us being disallowed for that very same reason a few years back. Can't remember who it was against but I distinctly remember Luis taking a free kick really fast and curling it in from a ways out and then it being called back.

Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #606: Apr 01, 2019 01:29:44 pm
      They cheated their way to a goal yesterday too. That ball hadn't stopped when Kane kicked it. I think I remember a Suarez goal for us being disallowed for that very same reason a few years back. Can't remember who it was against but I distinctly remember Luis taking a free kick really fast and curling it in from a ways out and then it being called back.

For me it wasn't even a foul. Kane is the best in the world at winning a free kick, literally puts his body in the way, ref always, always gives it. Pissed me off even more when they scored!
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #607: Apr 01, 2019 01:39:48 pm

Yea true although Henderson also should have known better to stand in front of the ball after the whistle was blown preventing the quick play.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #608: Apr 01, 2019 01:40:42 pm
      For as lucky as our 2nd was, their goal was just as lucky. The ball still moving is the obvious one but Trippier miss hit his cross, Eriksen miss hit his shot and it fell right he feet of their player. If Eriksen hadn’t miss kicked hit shot then I’m pretty sure Virgil would have blocked it.
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #609: Apr 01, 2019 01:46:33 pm
      Yea true although Henderson also should have known better to stand in front of the ball after the whistle was blown preventing the quick play.

Yeah I'm afraid he did switch off for a second although it was a quality pass by Kane to be fair. The holding role that Hendo plays means you do, if you can, baulk free kicks to give your defenders time to track players etc.

Hendo didn't have a bad game but in the second half the game was more open and it needed a bit more off the cuff play and that is not Hendo's game.
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #610: Apr 01, 2019 01:54:46 pm
      But over the past few months it is becoming clear that Klopp is more suited to a Director of Football role. He is clealy better at overseeing policy that day to day football matters. He could even go part-time and that would be a better use of his time.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #611: Apr 01, 2019 02:02:39 pm
      For all their injury and short squad woes Tottenham are a decent side and at times yesterday, in that second half, played us off the park.
      But.... and it's a big but, we wanted it more !
      We were cruising first 25 minutes until Pochettino's  grandstand view of his side being ripped apart forced him to revert to a back 5 and squeeze the midfield 4... and it worked for him.
      Went for Virgil as MOTM as I thought he had Kane in his back pocket.
      Bit worried when Son came on but he did f**k all.
      Pulling Milner and Henderson off was the turning point and Fab started to win more tackles and push the ball forward to the feet of the front 3, something Milner and Henderson didn't do.
      Jammy winner but hey ! I really couldn't care less  :lmao:

What was all that 6 yard/goal line scuffling going on for our first few corners?.. weird deliveries as well from Trent.. bit of a waste if you ask me ???

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      « Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019 02:20:07 pm by 6stringer »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #612: Apr 01, 2019 02:03:46 pm
      But over the past few months it is becoming clear that Klopp is more suited to a Director of Football role. He is clealy better at overseeing policy that day to day football matters. He could even go part-time and that would be a better use of his time.

I'm not really sure why this thought would enter or exit someone's mind.
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #613: Apr 01, 2019 02:06:53 pm

Spent force mate..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #614: Apr 01, 2019 02:08:45 pm

It's after 12...
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #615: Apr 01, 2019 02:09:34 pm

surely its an April fools joke. ;D.
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #616: Apr 01, 2019 02:10:30 pm
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #617: Apr 01, 2019 02:11:21 pm
      I did predict that MF yesterday.

But I did say Fab was playing brilliant also, and was a tough call to leave him out.

I dont think Fab will be left out of many games now, hes was brilliant when he came on.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #618: Apr 01, 2019 02:21:11 pm

You smoking a big bifta or something mate? 🤷‍♂️
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #619: Apr 01, 2019 03:18:05 pm
      You smoking a big bifta or something mate? 🤷‍♂️

I said to her indoors..yer left the window open last night and bird got in and pecked a hole in our new leather suite..she nearly fell down the stairs.....top chuckle..
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #620: Apr 01, 2019 03:23:16 pm
      I did predict that MF yesterday.

But I did say Fab was playing brilliant also, and was a tough call to leave him out.

I dont think Fab will be left out of many games now, hes was brilliant when he came on.

Well he did look good, think it was a close call not to play Fab.Looking like Klopp has all but abandoned Keita. Such a pity as I was really looking forward to him coming here, thought he could add a bit of extra attacking element to our midfield. Don't where we go from here..

Quick Reply