Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre Match : Southampton v Liverpool : Friday 5th April : 20.00

Read 8141 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Pre Match : Southampton v Liverpool : Friday 5th April : 20.00
      Reply #23: Apr 04, 2019 10:26:30 am
      I see no other way of us winning the league bar we win all remaining six games.

If we draw even once we need City to drop points in two games and I just don't see it.

Friday night away under lights and they will be up for it. I'd go with:

Yep we are now seeing the importance of the goal difference being in Man Citys favour and it now being obvious it's going to stay in their favour. It is an extra buffer in real terms, if it were in our favour we could perhaps afford one draw as it is we can't and in playing all out to win at some point we may find ourselves over committing and losing. That was nearly the case against Spurs, in reality they should have put us to bed on 3 separate occasions at 1-1 but they weren't able to do it.

We may as well lose as draw so on the flip side it could be argued our all or nothing attitude gained us 2 points at the end against Spurs when in previous games Klopp has only made like for like substitutes.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #24: Apr 04, 2019 11:12:31 am
      Yep we are now seeing the importance of the goal difference being in Man Citys favour and it now being obvious it's going to stay in their favour. It is an extra buffer in real terms, if it were in our favour we could perhaps afford one draw as it is we can't and in playing all out to win at some point we may find ourselves over committing and losing. That was nearly the case against Spurs, in reality they should have put us to bed on 3 separate occasions at 1-1 but they weren't able to do it.

We may as well lose as draw so on the flip side it could be argued our all or nothing attitude gained us 2 points at the end against Spurs when in previous games Klopp has only made like for like substitutes.

GD is 9 isn't it so it isn't completely out of reach!

We've still got Cardiff and Huddersfield left to play who have conceded a truck ton this season, 2 4-0's and we are right back up there on goal difference ;D City don't have any opponents left who will roll over and have their belly tickled.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #25: Apr 04, 2019 11:58:18 am

If we draw even once we need City to drop points in two games and I just don't see it.

Lack of creation in that X1 PG91, imo, throw Lallana in there for extra boo's as well as a boost in attack would give us more options, cant afford to be conservative against lower league sides, home or away?

YNWA
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #26: Apr 04, 2019 12:01:37 pm

Keita in there for Hendo
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #27: Apr 04, 2019 12:30:08 pm

Ain't going to happen
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #28: Apr 04, 2019 01:16:06 pm

I know, just what I’d prefer though.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #29: Apr 04, 2019 01:17:40 pm

You never know, he might surprise us like how he did with Lallana!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #30: Apr 04, 2019 01:18:35 pm
      I just hope we play a more creative midfield. That means not playing Fab and Hendo in the same side, that means playing either of Keita, Lallana or Shaq in the midfield three or playing Salah ahead of Firmino as per the team put up near the top of this thread. Hopefully Saints will try and press us and leave some space in behind. I fancy us to win this one 2-1.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #31: Apr 04, 2019 01:45:27 pm
      Fabinho and Hendo together is fine as long as they have an attacking-minded midfielder with them.

Fab, Hendo and Keita would be great. Gini has been off the boil a little lately and wouldn't mind if he missed this one - especially being away from home which makes it infinitely more likely he won't perform.

Apart from that, I think maybe Gomez could come in for Matip as the only other possible change. The rest is straightforward.
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #32: Apr 04, 2019 02:02:52 pm
      It would make a change for us to play well and win a game comfortably - really go out and enjoy it
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #33: Apr 04, 2019 02:03:39 pm
      I'm Milner'ed out in midfield. He should be a late sub to kill off a game but nowhere near the starting lineup.

As the poster above me mentioned, i'd also go with Fab / Hendo / Keita. The rest of the team we already know.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Apr 04, 2019 02:17:20 pm
      cant wait to see the lads that got us to the CL final, this years qtr final and top of the league again on Friday ..is that how its done?
      I think Jürgen will unleash the beast Fab and Lallana for this I think its time to take the brakes off and destroy teams.
      Another win is really going to piss off City and Friday is a good time to play as it gives us extra time to prepare for the CL. Anyone remember Friday night football actually starting on ITV with Brain Moore who actually loved the Reds.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #35: Apr 04, 2019 02:31:05 pm
      I'm Milner'ed out in midfield. He should be a late sub to kill off a game but nowhere near the starting lineup.

As the poster above me mentioned, i'd also go with Fab / Hendo / Keita. The rest of the team we already know.

Milner does a superb job covering behind Robertson, that's one of the reasons he plays.
      Watch how he tucks in behind when Robertson bombs forwards, then supports him when the opposition is pushed back.
      Keita should be doing it, but for whatever reason isn't quite there yet.
      Wijnaldum does it on the right behind TAA, in a slightly different way.

That said, we shouldn't need Milner to provide that extra cover against Southampton.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #36: Apr 04, 2019 02:32:18 pm
      Agree with the mid of Fab, Hendo and Llallana for this one, the rest picks itself.
      macbk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts | 64 
      Reply #37: Apr 04, 2019 02:36:21 pm
      No shot Ox gets a bench spot tomorrow right?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #38: Apr 04, 2019 03:22:35 pm
      Milner does a superb job covering behind Robertson, that's one of the reasons he plays.
      Watch how he tucks in behind when Robertson bombs forwards, then supports him when the opposition is pushed back.
      Keita should be doing it, but for whatever reason isn't quite there yet.
      Wijnaldum does it on the right behind TAA, in a slightly different way.

That said, we shouldn't need Milner to provide that extra cover against Southampton.

Did Milner do a superb job against Spurs second half, how about Gini or Hendo, how many chances did they create, how well did they cover the defence?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Apr 04, 2019 03:35:26 pm
      cant wait to see the lads that got us to the CL final, this years qtr final and top of the league again on Friday ..is that how its done?
      I think Jürgen will unleash the beast Fab and Lallana for this I think its time to take the brakes off and destroy teams.
      Another win is really going to piss off City and Friday is a good time to play as it gives us extra time to prepare for the CL. Anyone remember Friday night football actually starting on ITV with Brain Moore who actually loved the Reds.

I too think Lallana will start. Fab is a shoe in too.

I cant remember friday night footi, I was either too young, or in the pub, which means it was a blur. ;D.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #40: Apr 04, 2019 03:46:03 pm
      Something tells me a Mo Salah hat trick is on the cards as part of a 5-0 thrashing.
      But then I sit up straight and realise that it's a nervy run in ahead and these last few games are decided by one or two goals.

We have the firepower and technical brilliance to smash this lot into next week but if we can't get off to a good start and allow the nerves to kick in, giving away stray passes and dodgy footwork from our goalkeeper, we're in for another roller coaster of 90 odd minutes..

If, at the final whistle we have the 3 points I can take the oxygen mask off  ;D
      Otherwise, I've been told they're keeping me on the ward !

3-1 ....... I reckon  ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #41: Apr 04, 2019 04:24:16 pm
      Something tells me a Mo Salah hat trick is on the cards as part of a 5-0 thrashing.

I am going to keep you to this prediction mate and why not someone is due a tonking

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #42: Apr 04, 2019 04:46:44 pm
      Fabinho and Hendo together is fine as long as they have an attacking-minded midfielder with them.

Fab, Hendo and Keita would be great. Gini has been off the boil a little lately and wouldn't mind if he missed this one - especially being away from home which makes it infinitely more likely he won't perform.

Apart from that, I think maybe Gomez could come in for Matip as the only other possible change. The rest is straightforward.

I actually agree on the Gini comment. In fairness to him, he literally plays every single game so perhaps a rest here might help. I'd play Keita ahead of Lallana because the boos may affect him.

But I wouldn't start Joe. He has been out so long and I Matip's form has been fine so I see no reason to risk changing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #43: Apr 04, 2019 05:05:58 pm
      We really do have a great squad now and we need it more than ever . I think in our remaining games with the exception of Chelsea we should try and literally play them off the park we need to "win" this league not stumble of the finishing line by default.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #44: Apr 04, 2019 06:48:12 pm
      Hope the fans are singing, when the Reds go marching on, after this game.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #45: Apr 04, 2019 07:43:00 pm
      Hope the fans are singing, when the Reds go marching on, after this game.

Very good David ......  saw what you did there !

Quick Reply