Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool V Porto (09/04/19 - 20:00)

Read 7749 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Pre-Match: Liverpool V Porto (09/04/19 - 20:00)
      Apr 08, 2019 02:38:51 am

Champions League Quarter final and funny enough I'll be more relaxed playing this than watching us away to Southampton.

2-0 Reds!!!  :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool V Porto (09/04/19 - 20:00)
      Reply #1: Apr 08, 2019 07:02:40 am
      Win.    Simples.

3-0
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #2: Apr 08, 2019 08:18:31 am
      They’ll want revenge - but at the same time they’ll be under pressure to perform better than last time so it could play in to our hands.

I expect a professional performance with Mohamed scoring again.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #3: Apr 08, 2019 09:45:52 am
      Shows how much of an incredible season this has been that a Champions League quarter final has just sneaked up on us like that ;D

I think this will be a lot more difficult than our games against Porto last season, they are at this stage for a reason and will be a tough hurdle I'm sure.

I believe they are without one of their stars, their left back Telles who got injured taking a penalty the other week. I haven't seen any updates on this recently but he'd be a big miss for them, especially with Salah attacking down that side.

As far as I'm concerned, Henderson and Milner's introduction on Friday night were the reason we came away with 3 points, and for that reason they'd be in my starting 11. Start solid and bring Keita and co onto the pitch later in the game.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4: Apr 08, 2019 09:54:22 am
      if there is one manager who simply will not allow complacency to creep in its Jürgen we need to take a good lead to Porto so no prisoners tomorrow
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #5: Apr 08, 2019 10:07:05 am
      Shows how much of an incredible season this has been that a Champions League quarter final has just sneaked up on us like that ;D

I think this will be a lot more difficult than our games against Porto last season, they are at this stage for a reason and will be a tough hurdle I'm sure.

I believe they are without one of their stars, their left back Telles who got injured taking a penalty the other week. I haven't seen any updates on this recently but he'd be a big miss for them, especially with Salah attacking down that side.

As far as I'm concerned, Henderson and Milner's introduction on Friday night were the reason we came away with 3 points, and for that reason they'd be in my starting 11. Start solid and bring Keita and co onto the pitch later in the game.

Looks like he is struggling.  Pepe and Herrera banned as well so not at full strength
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #6: Apr 08, 2019 10:29:37 am
      Hats off to the lads for being at CL quarter finals and top of the league at this stage of the season...improvement under Klopp has been immense no matter how much criticism we may level at his team selection every now and then.

No complacency, I expect a professional display and a 2-0 win.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Apr 08, 2019 10:38:38 am

I do agree, but for what it’s worth, Milner would have been playing this game regardless of his performance at the weekend because Robbo is suspended and I doubt Klopp would risk going with Moreno.

Looks like he is struggling.  Pepe and Herrera banned as well so not at full strength

Think they also have 3 players, one of which being Eder Militao all at risk of missing the 2nd leg if they pick up a yellow card.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #8: Apr 08, 2019 10:40:42 am
      Hats off to the lads for being at CL quarter finals and top of the league at this stage of the season...improvement under Klopp has been immense no matter how much criticism we may level at his team selection every now and then.

No complacency, I expect a professional display and a 2-0 win.

It just proves that Jürgen Klopp is a better manager and coach than the majority of us are.Looking forward to a good win at Anfield to give us a cushion at Porto.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #9: Apr 08, 2019 11:11:56 am
      I'd like a midfield three of Fabinho, Hendo and Keita, In defence Milner takes over from Robbo, please no Moreno, and then its a question of how ready Joe is. I like Matip but he's become a bit skittish again recently and making me nervous or perhaps he just had a poor game against Southampton.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #10: Apr 08, 2019 11:40:39 am
      I do agree, but for what it’s worth, Milner would have been playing this game regardless of his performance at the weekend because Robbo is suspended and I doubt Klopp would risk going with Moreno.

I created a team builder before and had Milner in my middle three - completely forgot about Robbo being out! :mad: I'd suspect Milner will be at left back unless Klopp risks someone else over there which I think is unlikely.

I think Fab and Hendo will be in the starting 11 and the other midfielder will depend on how adventurous Klopp wants to be from the outset.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #11: Apr 08, 2019 11:47:44 am
      I think Fab and Hendo will be in the starting 11 and the other midfielder will depend on how adventurous Klopp wants to be from the outset.

Fab, Hendo and Keita would be my guess. Keita played pretty decent last time out, will be confident after the goal and think Klopp will want to use that as the start of getting a run of consistent games out of him again like he was getting before the injury.
      Gini has been stinking the place out for the last couple of games, I’d be surprised if he starts.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Apr 08, 2019 11:53:28 am
      Expect Milner in midfield, Moreno at left back, and a Reds win.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #13: Apr 08, 2019 12:08:14 pm
      Alisson; Trent, Matip, VVD, Milner; Fabinho, Hendo, Keita; Salah, Firmino, Mane.

Gini needs a rest and we'll need him against Chelsea.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #14: Apr 08, 2019 01:20:32 pm
      Keep a clean sheet and win by 3 goals would be amazing for this first leg. We could then potentially field some of our squad players in the leg at their gaff.

However, I can see this being a lot tougher than most people are thinking.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #15: Apr 08, 2019 01:39:33 pm

IMO there is no chance that happens. Milner will be at left back, Moreno has proven he can’t be trusted time and again and done himself no favours when he has played this season.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #16: Apr 08, 2019 01:49:47 pm
      On to the next one..what a ride this season has been with plenty more to come. Milner, great pro that he is will likely fill in the left back position unless Klopp leaves out TAA then Milly will be right back with Moreno coming in.

Hendo,Fab and Naby with the usual 3 suspects up front.Two goal lead at least.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #17: Apr 08, 2019 01:57:15 pm

Think Milner will be left back, not because of lack of trust in Moreno it's just Milly is a better player than Moreno in that position. Milly will support the attack better as he is also an experienced winger as well. Play anywhere Jim lad...bet he knocks up a decent curry as well..
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #18: Apr 08, 2019 02:04:02 pm
      Think Milner will be left back, not because of lack of trust in Moreno it's just Milly is a better player than Moreno in that position. Milly will support the attack better as he is also an experienced winger as well. Play anywhere Jim lad...bet he knocks up a decent curry as well..

It's also because of a complete lack of trust in Moreno; he's played 150 minutes of footy this season and makes far too many mistakes to be called upon for a game of this magnitude. In comparison, Milner is defensively more solid and has got more assists than any other player in the Champions League over the last 2 seasons, no brainer really.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #19: Apr 08, 2019 02:05:24 pm
      Think we are more likely to see Gomez come back in and play LB than Moreno.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #20: Apr 08, 2019 02:07:14 pm
      Think we are more likely to see Gomez come back in and play LB than Moreno.

I'd rather see Lovren there than Moreno!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #21: Apr 08, 2019 02:40:46 pm
      It's also because of a complete lack of trust in Moreno; he's played 150 minutes of footy this season and makes far too many mistakes to be called upon for a game of this magnitude. In comparison, Milner is defensively more solid and has got more assists than any other player in the Champions League over the last 2 seasons, no brainer really.

From an attacking perspective, I am more of a fan of his attacking play than Robertson where he is more prone to making runs behind the defence/full back (similar to Alba), but his end product is no where near good enough. I also think he has good energy levels and will get up and down the pitch as good as and probably quicker than Robertson.

Anyway, I too can't see him starting and will most likely be Milner at left back, but then again, Klopp has surprised us a few times this season!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #22: Apr 08, 2019 02:45:10 pm
      From an attacking perspective, I am more of a fan of his attacking play than Robertson where he is more prone to making runs behind the defence/full back (similar to Alba), but his end product is no where near good enough. I also think he has good energy levels and will get up and down the pitch as good as and probably quicker than Robertson.

Anyway, I too can't see him starting and will most likely be Milner at left back, but then again, Klopp has surprised us a few times this season!

I agree with you nearly all the time - but how you prefer Moreno’s attacking play over Robertson is truly baffling

Quick Reply