Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      9 (8.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      4 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      50 (45.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      25 (22.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      18 (16.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Apr 13, 2019 09:52:42 pm

Liverpool 2-0 FC Porto: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26759 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 FC Porto: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #529: Apr 10, 2019 08:13:00 am
      Absolutely top class showing from the lads. Midfield 3 was purring all night, would like to see more of that setup in the league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #530: Apr 10, 2019 08:30:53 am
      I think we all would have liked more goals and in my opinion we should have had one more with Mane as that was not offside in my opinion plus we wasted so many chances, far more than they did. I am 100% confident we'll get at least one goal over in Porto.

Plus remember that in the next match we should be back to full strength defence with Joe and Robbo back.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #531: Apr 10, 2019 08:59:09 am
      Yeah I think Son is more dynamic than Kane, they had a pretty good run of form when Kane was out previous. It'll be depth that'll hurt them down the stretch but I'm hoping the next couple weeks Son will be fresh enough to give us a bit of a hand next weekend.

Great, if imperfect, match today. Besides those couple times they got through I felt we were in good control of the match, had a fuckload more chances, and it took them defending for their lives to stop it from being a rout like last year. Massively impressed with Keita, he looked a hell of a lot more confident. Still has a habit of being caught on the ball a bit too much, but hopefully that will continue to improve - he's still incredibly young to be fair. Hendo again was immense. Firmino had one of those absolutely boss Firmino games.

Very happy, and besides a travesty of a performance coming out of nowhere, we should be able to deal with them at their pad now. Clean sheet was massive.
      Been reported son picked up a knock late on two. No kane was better of the two was causing city problems before he went off. Iv never seen a dirtier f**ker than fernardinho tried to go through Ali and erickson several times. They need son playing if they any chance of overturning city. Kane defo out.  Anyway on our game last night a good solid performance unspectacular but no goals concededlucky enough. Early goal in return leg and tie is settled ithink
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #532: Apr 10, 2019 08:59:19 am
      I think we all would have liked more goals and in my opinion we should have had one more with Mane as that was not offside in my opinion plus we wasted so many chances, far more than they did. I am 100% confident we'll get at least one goal over in Porto.

Plus remember that in the next match we should be back to full strength defence with Joe and Robbo back.
      Only thing that concerns me is TAA has looked a bit shaky in defense these past two or three games and he does have this habit of grabbing at players going by him, and we saw last night how Porto like to go down given any chance they get...

Ho, said this during the match... Have Porto been watching West Ham Vs. Us and their free kick..?  :laugh:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #533: Apr 10, 2019 09:03:34 am
      Only thing that concerns me is TAA has looked a bit shaky in defense these past two or three games and he does have this habit of grabbing at players going by him, and we saw last night how Porto like to go down given any chance they get...

Ho, said this during the match... Have Porto been watching West Ham Vs. Us and their free kick..?  :laugh:

Have noticed recently that we do get a lot of teams attacking us down our right.

Opposition managers have picked up Trent as brilliant as he is going forward is not great defensively.

Something he needs to work on.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #534: Apr 10, 2019 09:16:16 am
      Would have all like another goal but if we get an away goal ......

That will finish Porto off good and proper,I could never see them scoring 4 goals against us.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #535: Apr 10, 2019 09:38:08 am
      Bernardo Silva not injured just rested. I was hoping spurs would kick lumps out of them unfortunately was other way round. Exciting end to season I'm nervous about chelski Sunday as they can be a bloody bogey team and hazard can score in a heartbeat. Anyway let's hope we keep this run going. We so badly need silverware this season. Come on you reds
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #536: Apr 10, 2019 09:48:12 am
      How does fernardinho continue week on week to get away with so many disgusting fouls. Last night he trod on Harry kane  leg and when they fell to the ground elbowed him for good measure. I think we draw 2-2 in Porto to go through easy enough. Hope F**k spurs knock city to F**k out and all the billions poured in by the Arabs to win the CL is up in smoke for another year. Tonight's game do we want barca to beat man u?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #537: Apr 10, 2019 09:48:20 am
      Henderson: "He's a brilliant player. I’m happy he showed that again. He likes the position obviously - it was my fault that for one-and-a-half years he played as a No.6. Sorry! But we needed him there. A really good performance with brilliant passes" Who would say such a thing.
       Another great performance by Trent so cool to find Bobby in the 6 yard area and all ver the pitch solid performances and a clean sheet with a 2 goal lead to take to Porto just a superb night all round.
      Oh and City got beat and missed a penalty was the icing on the cake and the pressure on them is building
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #538: Apr 10, 2019 10:42:49 am
      Superb again. Keep it up redmen.

As others are saying pleased for hendo, and great to see naby playing well.

Brilliant to be able to give Matip a rest and play lovren.

Gomez being on the bench too is great news, dont be surprised if he plays some part v chelsea at the weekend.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #539: Apr 10, 2019 10:44:52 am
      Bernardo Silva not injured just rested. I was hoping spurs would kick lumps out of them unfortunately was other way round. Exciting end to season I'm nervous about chelski Sunday as they can be a bloody bogey team and hazard can score in a heartbeat. Anyway let's hope we keep this run going. We so badly need silverware this season. Come on you reds

Why be worried, were playing brilliant, fully fit squad.

They're playing away in Europa Thursday, we have 2 days more to rest and be ready, and hazard is so inconsistent and he doesnt play against the best defense in the league every day.

Up the Reds.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #540: Apr 10, 2019 11:07:19 am
      Very good game, midfield was very good and finally we see Henderson playing where he should be. He had a proper impact on the field and Fabinho could do his job like a proper DM should. Keita was in great form and just needs to develop an alchemy with the front 3. If they do, they'll cause lot of troubles. I think we have found the midfield we need.

Defense was very good although I think Alison does not talk enough. A commentator said that it's the GK that should say when he's going for the ball or not, not the defender: in his case, Alison expects Van Dijk to take the decision every time, it seems.

hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #541: Apr 10, 2019 11:47:48 am
      Oh, the beauty of football. Not our best performance by any stretch of the imagination but that is what is so good about this result. I'd say we've been running at about 65-70% all Season and we are on the brink of winning our first ever Premier League title and a sixth Champions League. What's not to love about this? The loss of our second best centre back and our most prominent attacking midfielder and yet we are still here. What Klopp has achieved thus far has been nothing short of miraculous, outside of our first eleven we don't even have the depth of our rivals but yet we are the only side challenging the might of the Arabs cash mountain.

2-0 wasn't the best result but based on our output it was a brilliant result. To play so below par and still win 2-0 is what makes it all the more beautiful. Henderson was outstanding, finally Klopp can release him due to Fabinho now being ready to do the job he was brought in to do. Hendo was in danger of becoming the next Lucas Leiva, an attacking midfielder being morphed into a defensive midfielder. The difference between Klopp and Rafa is that Klopp had no alternative option, Hendo was the only one capable of carrying out the duties. Fair play to Jordan, he is just like Milner, selfless, focused, industrious and willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. We have always known his qualities are there but Klopp knew he was the only player he had that was disciplined and energetic enough to fulfil the role. We now have Fabinho. No doubt Jordan will still play the defensive midfielder role from time to time but not as regular as he has been.

Keita is starting to get the luck his hard work is deserving of and hopefully these last 2 goals he has scored will give him that confidence boost he so dearly needs. A lot of people giving Henderson the MOTM vote but for me it had to be Firmino, the things he does with the ball are, as Carra would say, 'OBSCENE!.' His ball control and spatial awareness are ridiculous, the most important player in this team by far, the crankshaft.

On another night it could have been 2-2 but thankfully Marega had a mare of a game. We did look vulnerable down the right flank and in all honesty i expected them to target our right side of the defence. Luckily we came through unscathed and i fully expect us to see this out in the second leg.

A clean sheet, a 2 goal lead, a sub par performance, lots more to come.

LOVE IT!

P.S. That midfield trio is definitely the way forward from now on. They were tough, dynamic and creative. Jordan will be like a new signing if Klopp lets him carry on in this new role. Have to say as well last night, his pressing up top was absolutely bonkers, something we don't see from Wijnaldum or Milner when they play there, the intensity that is.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019 11:52:44 am by hardcoresoldier »
      Borg
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 317 posts | 80 
      Reply #542: Apr 10, 2019 11:52:03 am
      Very happy with the result, Keita finally starting to show up but was a bit disappointed with Mo, he's becoming very wasteful with the ball, going on impossible dribbles and losing the ball, shooting instead of passing etc.
      Anyway we have one big foot in the semis, just need to get one goal in Porto which I'm sure we will,then they'll need to score 4.
      Mo's season has been somewhat frustrating. The man's desire and work rate are unmatched but his efforts typically fizzle in the box mostly because of turnovers. No doubt defenses key on him and he garners a tremendous amount of attention with multiple defenders standing between him and the goal....but more often then not, he chooses an impossible shot verses an assist to a more open teammate. I'm having difficulty remembering more than a couple clean powerful strikes he's had on net this year.
      Selfishness? Poor vision? Poor passing skills? Not as good as we believed?
      I argue all of the above. Still pretty good though. His max effort getting back on defense and then stealing away the ball was my favorite moment of this match. Never was the "Mo Salah" song more appropriate.

We watched TAA deliver a pin point perfect pass across the box to Firmino for the 100% tap in. As many times as Salah has had the ball in that same position..... LFC has very little to show for it.
      In a perfect LFC world, both Salah and Mane would be more charitable giving up the ball quicker. Bang bang passes instead of 1 vs 5 hero ball.

I digress.

Amazing work rate by the entire squad. The long distance deliveries sent forth by the back line were truly amazing. The high rate in which LFC successfully delivered these long distance passes in open space made me wonder if Porto had a full squad on the pitch.
      I love these wide open contests verses teams built to attack. LFC's quality always shines in these type of matches.....verses top 6  and European teams.

My MOTM is Keita though VVD, Allison stood out on my screen as well.

Awesome to see the middies scoring important goals at this crucial time. Great teams have balanced scoring unless Messi and Ronaldo happen to be on the forward line.

Most interested to see how MNC navigate this month. Yesterday's loss had to create a bit of doubt within the ranks. Cyclical play is a part of every teams' season and LFC had a bit of a low period last month....let's hope MNC has a down cycle now when the pressure is the highest.

How awesome is this.....PL and CL glory in very attainable reach.

I'm anxious to watch Ajax again. I couldn't not get over how well they played vs Real Madrid...specifically the unselfish bang bang pass game that Real had no answer for. I thought I was watching a very pale Barcelona team given how fast they moved the ball.
      Now go crush the pretty boy
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019 12:03:44 pm by Borg »
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #543: Apr 10, 2019 12:08:10 pm
      Compared to previous recent seasons we are so mature now and manage games so much better than we used to and its probably why some think we are not playing well. this is how you win things managing games and expectations. We will go to Porto with a good lead which means they will have to come at us and that will leave us playing a game which we excel at counterattacking.

With players coming back from injury and players finding good form we have never been better placed to make this a historic season.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #544: Apr 10, 2019 12:30:37 pm
      Oh, the beauty of football. Not our best performance by any stretch of the imagination but that is what is so good about this result. I'd say we've been running at about 65-70% all Season and we are on the brink of winning our first ever Premier League title and a sixth Champions

League. What's not to love about this? The loss of our second best centre back and our most prominent attacking midfielder and yet we are still here. What Klopp has achieved thus far has been nothing short of miraculous, outside of our first eleven we don't even have the depth of our rivals but yet we are the only side challenging the might of the Arabs cash mountain.

2-0 wasn't the best result but based on our output it was a brilliant result. To play so below par and still win 2-0 is what makes it all the more beautiful. Henderson was outstanding, finally Klopp can release him due to Fabinho now being ready to do the job he was brought in to do. Hendo was in danger of becoming the next Lucas Leiva, an attacking midfielder being morphed into a defensive midfielder. The difference between Klopp and Rafa is that Klopp had no alternative option, Hendo was the only one capable of carrying out the duties. Fair play to Jordan, he is just like Milner, selfless, focused, industrious and willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. We have always known his qualities are there but Klopp knew he was the only player he had that was disciplined and energetic enough to fulfil the role. We now have Fabinho. No doubt Jordan will still play the defensive midfielder role from time to time but not as regular as he has been.

Keita is starting to get the luck his hard work is deserving of and hopefully these last 2 goals he has scored will give him that confidence boost he so dearly needs. A lot of people giving Henderson the MOTM vote but for me it had to be Firmino, the things he does with the ball are, as Carra would say, 'OBSCENE!.' His ball control and spatial awareness are ridiculous, the most important player in this team by far, the crankshaft.

On another night it could have been 2-2 but thankfully Marega had a mare of a game. We did look vulnerable down the right flank and in all honesty i expected them to target our right side of the defence. Luckily we came through unscathed and i fully expect us to see this out in the second leg.

A clean sheet, a 2 goal lead, a sub par performance, lots more to come.

LOVE IT!

P.S. That midfield trio is definitely the way forward from now on. They were tough, dynamic and creative. Jordan will be like a new signing if Klopp lets him carry on in this new role. Have to say as well last night, his pressing up top was absolutely bonkers, something we don't see from Wijnaldum or Milner when they play there, the intensity that is.
      We are far from on brink on winning anything. City are still fav for league and barca juve and City are still more favoured to win CL one of those. What can say is its been a great ride. Only a few years back we were struggling to qualify for this competition. So huge progress been made hopefully more to come yet
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #545: Apr 10, 2019 12:36:49 pm
      We are far from on brink on winning anything. City are still fav for league and barca juve and City are still more favoured to win CL one of those. What can say is its been a great ride. Only a few years back we were struggling to qualify for this competition. So huge progress been made hopefully more to come yet

jeez mate get with the programme we are on the verge of history so lets just get behind Jürgen and the lads.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #546: Apr 10, 2019 01:08:40 pm
      Compared to previous recent seasons we are so mature now and manage games so much better than we used to and its probably why some think we are not playing well. this is how you win things managing games and expectations. We will go to Porto with a good lead which means they will have to come at us and that will leave us playing a game which we excel at counterattacking.

With players coming back from injury and players finding good form we have never been better placed to make this a historic season.

Exactly, we are playing very very well, managing games.

And wee Mo is playing very very well, this slagging him off by some folks is just daft, yea hes losing the ball, but hes only losing it around the opponents ox, when hes trying to get past them.

The workrate and tracking back of the wee fella is amazing.

His numbers are still fantastic this season, what is it 20 goals & 10 assists in all comps ?  Not many have bettered his numbers in the EPL.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #547: Apr 10, 2019 01:12:19 pm

EH ?  city are cracking. They lost 1-0 last night btw. we won 2-0, just to clarify, and were top of the league.

The lads on BT summed it up last night, were looking unstopable, even when we give teams a 1 nil start recently we come back in win, last night we totally bossed that game, they had 1 or 2 breaks and some set pieces, and remember our LB was not even playing.

Dont fear anyone.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #548: Apr 10, 2019 01:12:55 pm
      Exactly, we are playing very very well, managing games.

And wee Mo is playing very very well, this slagging him off by some folks is just daft, yea hes losing the ball, but hes only losing it around the opponents ox, when hes trying to get past them.

The workrate and tracking back of the wee fella is amazing.

His numbers are still fantastic this season, what is it 20 goals & 10 assists in all comps ?  Not many have bettered his numbers in the EPL.

I think maybe people are confusing performance with goals.
      He had another good performance last night, and I was actually applauding his run back to cover LB and get the tackle in to snuff out the danger.
      Brilliant stuff.
      And he does so much that seems to go unnoticed.
      He's always a danger, gets in great positions and generally causes havoc in the opponents box.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #549: Apr 10, 2019 01:21:31 pm
      Not a fan of the way we are setting up to defend incoming free kicks. All our defenders lined up on the edge of the box. Clearly an offside ploy but if attackers time their run our defenders are running back towards our goal.

Difficult to get a clearing header in and difficult to make challenges.Also relies on the linesman calling very tight decisions in our favour. Might be worth it when VAR comes in but I don't like it. To much risk.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #550: Apr 10, 2019 01:23:02 pm
      Have noticed recently that we do get a lot of teams attacking us down our right.

Opposition managers have picked up Trent as brilliant as he is going forward is not great defensively.

Something he needs to work on.
      True, Think thats why it help with Lovren playing, he'll get out there to help him out
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #551: Apr 10, 2019 01:23:10 pm
      Not a fan of the way we are setting up to defend incoming free kicks. All our defenders lined up on the edge of the box. Clearly an offside ploy but if attackers time their run our defenders are running back towards our goal.

Difficult to get a clearing header in and difficult to make challenges.Also relies on the linesman calling very tight decisions in our favour. Might be worth it when VAR comes in but I don't like it. To much risk.

It actually works very well, even if it's a bit ugly at times.

Quick Reply