Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      9 (8.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      4 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      50 (45.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      25 (22.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      18 (16.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Apr 13, 2019 09:52:42 pm

Liverpool 2-0 FC Porto: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 27124 times
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 FC Porto: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #506: Apr 09, 2019 10:53:12 pm
      Firmino just edged it in my opinion, I'm surprised everyone voted for Henderson. I thought Firmino 9, Henderson 8.5 and a few others 7-8.
      Both played well tonight... Henderson stood out because he is not as Constance as Firmino week in week out is all
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #507: Apr 09, 2019 10:56:13 pm
      You're not the only one.  Matip has improved a lot this season, and doesn't seem to have suffered as much with injuries as last year.

Fair play to Lovren and VVD tonight.  First start together since we lost against Man City.  Good to get the clean sheet.  Matip back for the weekend though.
      Matip is okay, but he's nowhere near Gomez and Van Dijk quality. We should get another centre back and Lovren can go in 2021 when his contract expires.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #508: Apr 09, 2019 11:04:06 pm
      Wasn't a polished performance but a couple of goals, a clean sheet and no injuries, can't ask for much more than that.

Keita is really starting to look good, Hendo with another good performance. Salah probably should have scored but he caused them lots of problems.

VAR was bit of a mix tonight, might be being biased but to me the ball had already gone out of play when it hit Trent on the arm, Mane was level and Salah's was rightly not a sending off - the player kind of slid in once Salah had already made his movement to try and get the ball.

Much needed clean sheet after a while without, onto the 2nd leg and hopefully another good result there to send us into the SF.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #509: Apr 09, 2019 11:10:32 pm
      Henderson showing what a better player he is playing more forward. Keita done well too though gets caught in procession and odd stray pass. Anyway we would have took 2-0 before kick off. Perfect night but for hearing of kane season ending injury which will rule him out of city spurs league match. He was a big threat when he was on field. Anyway back to us and a god win tonight. We can play better but every win breeds more confidence. Think if we had of moved the ball a bit quicker second half there were more goals for us. Hendo firmino virgil very good.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #510: Apr 09, 2019 11:11:42 pm
      Very happy with the result, Keita finally starting to show up but was a bit disappointed with Mo, he's becoming very wasteful with the ball, going on impossible dribbles and losing the ball, shooting instead of passing etc.
      Anyway we have one big foot in the semis, just need to get one goal in Porto which I'm sure we will,then they'll need to score 4.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,247 posts | 2799 
      Reply #511: Apr 09, 2019 11:13:31 pm
      Can’t complain with a 2-0 win at home in the first leg of a Champions League tie.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #512: Apr 09, 2019 11:14:29 pm
      Henderson showing what a better player he is playing more forward. Keita done well too though gets caught in procession and odd stray pass. Anyway we would have took 2-0 before kick off. Perfect night but for hearing of kane season ending injury which will rule him out of city spurs league match. He was a big threat when he was on field. Anyway back to us and a god win tonight. We can play better but every win breeds more confidence. Think if we had of moved the ball a bit quicker second half there were more goals for us. Hendo firmino virgil very good.

That's a shame about Kane, but sometimes Spurs actually play better without him. Citeh certainly have some work to do now, I wonder if this might be where it starts to go a bit wrong for them.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,272 posts | 761 
      Reply #513: Apr 09, 2019 11:18:16 pm
      Decent result, main thing keeping a clean sheet. Do not think that Porto will stop us from scoring in the 2nd leg.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,670 posts | 6685 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #514: Apr 09, 2019 11:31:15 pm
      For starters, GET THE F**k INNNNNNNN

Would have taken a few goals and a clean sheet before KO and that's what we got, we should have scored 4 to be honest.

Worried about that big fella of theirs up front, he had 5 verY good chances and fu**ed them all up, not sure he will be that wasteful back at their place but I'm still confident we can score at least 1, so they are going to have to score 4 and I can't see our defence conceding 4.

Come on lads, let's finish the tie off in the first 15 minutes in the away leg.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #515: Apr 09, 2019 11:38:10 pm
      That's a shame about Kane, but sometimes Spurs actually play better without him. Citeh certainly have some work to do now, I wonder if this might be where it starts to go a bit wrong for them.

Yeah I think Son is more dynamic than Kane, they had a pretty good run of form when Kane was out previous. It'll be depth that'll hurt them down the stretch but I'm hoping the next couple weeks Son will be fresh enough to give us a bit of a hand next weekend.

Great, if imperfect, match today. Besides those couple times they got through I felt we were in good control of the match, had a fuckload more chances, and it took them defending for their lives to stop it from being a rout like last year. Massively impressed with Keita, he looked a hell of a lot more confident. Still has a habit of being caught on the ball a bit too much, but hopefully that will continue to improve - he's still incredibly young to be fair. Hendo again was immense. Firmino had one of those absolutely boss Firmino games.

Very happy, and besides a travesty of a performance coming out of nowhere, we should be able to deal with them at their pad now. Clean sheet was massive.
      Scottbot

• 9,592 posts | 2153 
      Reply #516: Apr 09, 2019 11:43:40 pm
      It's weird to be coming away from a European Cup Quarter Final wishing you had got more the the 2-0 win! Can't see us not scoring at their place given the way our lads got into attacking positions time and again. Some good performances out there tonight and then a few who were brilliant in patches and then making mistakes the next.

I went Henderson for motm. A few Silva(esque) passes out there tonight (I never thought i'd say that!) plus he led our press (much like Lallana used to a couple of seasons back) and he was safe in possession all night (I think just about every other player was guilty of stray passes that opened us up to the counter at stages tonight). Firmino wasn't far behind him and he really seems to have rediscovered his touch and energy at this crucial part of the season. Hats off to Milner, what a fantastic player he is, tonight at left-back and didn't miss a trick, at the weekend he comes on to shore us up at right-back and no doubt next time we see him it will be in the middle of the park. A few have suggested he might go back to Leeds for a swansong if they are promoted but bollox to that!

Other big plusses. Robbo gets a breather, Lovren gets an important 90 under his belt and Gomez was back in the matchday squad.

Happy Days! And City have a battle on their hands an all witch may work to our advantage in the League.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #517: Apr 10, 2019 12:00:01 am
      We keep getting the job done, can't ask for any more from the lads -delighted again with the result :)
      Maybe could've won a bit more comfortably, but hard to see us not scoring over there, so quietly confident now.
      Yet another clean sheet, without Robbo, and with Dejan who did OK - made a couple of mistakes that could've been costly, but he's been out for a while in fairness too.  We've come a long LONG way defensively in the last couple of years.
      Was a bit worried to see both Hendo and Fab start, but they did well, with Hendo again putting in a good performance and was my MOTM, massive effort from him. Bob was really good too, close behind him. VVD majestic as usual.
      And credit to Keita, 2 goals in two, and a super run near the end there, he's come from nowhere to play a part, which is a big plus.
      Mo and Mane did well, Mo could've had a couple on another night, and Mane unlucky to have his goal disallowed, marginal imho.
      For a CL 1/4 final 1st leg, will take that, and move onto the Chavs [the fuckers] - another massive game.

Well in Jürgen, has the lads on point, managed to rotate a bit and still get the comfortable result, somehow Naby nursed into making an impact, nobody deserves some reward at the end of the season more than the manager.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #518: Apr 10, 2019 02:05:07 am
      Probably eyeing up America. Fine player on his day but can't see him going down the league or indeed a division. Could do a season or two over there playing..soccer..

Actually the league here is all about athletic ability so he probably wouldn't excel as much as you might think. The guys who still have some pace and strength to go with their football skills are the Europeans who tend to flourish here.

But he could get paid well.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #519: Apr 10, 2019 02:06:07 am
      Contrary to many I thought Lovren was a weak link tonight with the turning circle of a ocean liner. Give him a straight line he is fine but turning and he was poor. Luckily that Marrega fella was sh*te.

Agree he let Dejan off the hook at least twice. Didn't think he was awful as he had some positive moments as well, but I would definitely prefer Matip or a match-fit Gomez alongside Virgil.

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019 02:13:36 am by Robby The Z »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #520: Apr 10, 2019 02:18:13 am
      I went with Naby as MoTM, but couldn't argue with Bobby or Jordan as the choice.

Pleased with how the team is showing poise and maturity at this point of the season.

Thumbs down to at least this administration of VAR. I suspect the official in charge of it was watching the other game or a movie or something. There were wrong decisions against both teams that should have been overturned.

One other thing: Why does the media keep talking up City for the quadruple and doesn't mention we are in with a real shout for the double?

CT_LFC

• 6,798 posts | 1398 
      Reply #521: Apr 10, 2019 02:22:41 am
      I went with Naby as MoTM, but couldn't argue with Bobby or Jordan as the choice.

Pleased with how the team is showing poise and maturity at this point of the season.

Thumbs down to at least this administration of VAR. I suspect the official in charge of it was watching the other game or a movie or something. There were wrong decisions against both teams that should have been overturned.

One other thing: Why does the media keep talking up City for the quadruple and doesn't mention we are in with a real shout for the double?

because 4 > 2

has anyone done the quadruple before? i know the treble has been done
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #522: Apr 10, 2019 02:45:39 am
      because 4 > 2

has anyone done the quadruple before? i know the treble has been done

Quadruple has not been done in the UK and according to the commentator in the Reds game It's only been done 7 times in History throughout Europe (no idea by whom though).
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #523: Apr 10, 2019 05:16:56 am
      Henderson should have been a number 8 and never number 6. We'd be ahead of City now. He's been a square peg.

So who should've been #6 then? Fab's first start in that position was at the Emirates in November and we all saw how he struggled to cope with that kinda intensity. Jürgen fielded his tried and tested midfield through that mad run of fixtures after the 1st int'l break and rightly so. Forget about being ahead of City, we are running close to City cos Hendo played exactly how Jürgen expected him to do in the beginning part of the season.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #524: Apr 10, 2019 05:37:12 am
      Henderson should have been a number 8 and never number 6. We'd be ahead of City now. He's been a square peg.

You've gotta be F***ing kidding me. We're at almost record pace at the moment. Trying to say there's some absolute reason to us not being ahead that revolves around Hendo is a stretch at best, and downright stupidity at worst. He's had a couple great games for sure, but you're essentially saying Klopp has been making a mistake for most of this season even though results for the most part have been coming our way. While I agree with the sentiment that it's a nice change to move forward with that I hope keeps producing on a consistent basis, the way you frame your argument is just flat-out wrong and does an injustice to what's been achieved so far.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #525: Apr 10, 2019 05:50:17 am
      Delighted for Jordan another excellent performance, 90th minute and he was still closing down the energy  levels were astounding ,cant forget Bobby some of the tricks were amazing , Naby,and Faby these guys are coming into there own,the  odd stray pass is a worry but we seem to cope pretty well ,clean sheet and a couple to the good is an excellent position to be in for the away leg,a quick goal should kill this tie.
      The draw saw us get the weakest side by all accounts,so the pundits said, we were already through,thats as may be,but the chances they made and were so poorly finished should be a bit of a warning,the other 6 teams in the competition given the same opportunities wouldn't let us off so lightly.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #526: Apr 10, 2019 06:33:01 am
      I gave Allison man of match for that one brilliant save at a a time when their mood was improving.
      RedWilly

• 9,176 posts | 1630 
      Reply #527: Apr 10, 2019 06:34:03 am
      Would have liked another goal, 2 - 0 can still be turned around, but overall we can’t complain with that.

Solid performance and you’d fancy us to see the job done.

Going for the league and Champions League as May approaches, what a season!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #528: Apr 10, 2019 08:03:46 am
      Would have liked another goal, 2 - 0 can still be turned around, but overall we can’t complain with that.

Solid performance and you’d fancy us to see the job done.

Going for the league and Champions League as May approaches, what a season!!

Would have all like another goal but if we get an away goal ......

Quick Reply