Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Alisson
      1 (0.9%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      9 (8.2%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
       Fabinho
      4 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      50 (45.5%)
      Naby Keïta
      25 (22.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      18 (16.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Apr 13, 2019 09:52:42 pm

Liverpool 2-0 FC Porto: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 26757 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,967 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 FC Porto: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Apr 10, 2019 01:33:22 pm
      It actually works very well, even if it's a bit ugly at times.

Not so sure. It's not that difficult to time a run from a dead ball free kick. Could start a few yards behind and still make up the ground while the ball is in the air. Bit of a disaster waiting to happen.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #553: Apr 10, 2019 01:46:17 pm
      Not so sure. It's not that difficult to time a run from a dead ball free kick. Could start a few yards behind and still make up the ground while the ball is in the air. Bit of a disaster waiting to happen.

I agree it's not pretty, but as well as the offside trap, it also gives our keeper more room to come.

I reckon it's pretty effective, and we really don't concede many from set pieces.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #554: Apr 10, 2019 01:58:07 pm
      We are far from on brink on winning anything. City are still fav for league and barca juve and City are still more favoured to win CL one of those. What can say is its been a great ride. Only a few years back we were struggling to qualify for this competition. So huge progress been made hopefully more to come yet

There comes that ray of sunshine again, "Always look on the crap side of life, da-dum, da-dum, da-dumda-dum, da-dum" ;-)

I don't think Citeh are the favourites, they have one point on us but have a much harder run-in, they also have a much harder route to the semis.

As for CL I see no reason at all to suggest Juventus or Barcelona have a better chance of winning it than we do.

Can you just start to realise and acknowledge please that we are a very very good side.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #555: Apr 10, 2019 02:01:39 pm
      Poch should give Jürgen a ring and thank him cos City's defeat at Anfield last year heavily influenced Pep's team selection yesterday. Wanted to play safe, apparently. Granted they are still probably favorites but they were nothing close to how the papers worship them day in, day out.

I hope they drop points in their league games vs Palace, Spurs and United. If we beat Chelsea, I'm confident of the title and hopefully Rafa kind enough to go easy on us between the CL semi final games  ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #556: Apr 10, 2019 02:05:01 pm
      There comes that ray of sunshine again, "Always look on the crap side of life, da-dum, da-dum, da-dumda-dum, da-dum" ;-)

I don't think Citeh are the favourites, they have one point on us but have a much harder run-in, they also have a much harder route to the semis.

As for CL I see no reason at all to suggest Juventus or Barcelona have a better chance of winning it than we do.

Can you just start to realise and acknowledge please that we are a very very good side.

Correct.

And did barca or Juve get to the final last year ?, NOPE !!  We did and were a far better team this year.

So we are defo 1 of the faves.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #557: Apr 10, 2019 02:06:28 pm
      I think maybe people are confusing performance with goals.
      He had another good performance last night, and I was actually applauding his run back to cover LB and get the tackle in to snuff out the danger.
      Brilliant stuff.
      And he does so much that seems to go unnoticed.
      He's always a danger, gets in great positions and generally causes havoc in the opponents box.

Yes totally agree, he never scored for 8 games, but his all round game was still top notch, and chipped in with some cracking assists.

Between our 3 strikers the stats are actually not that far off of the goals scored & assists from last season. Its all good.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #558: Apr 10, 2019 02:06:52 pm
      ps. Im loving the high line defending deep freekicks.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #559: Apr 10, 2019 02:37:32 pm
      Compared to previous recent seasons we are so mature now and manage games so much better than we used to and its probably why some think we are not playing well. this is how you win things managing games and expectations. We will go to Porto with a good lead which means they will have to come at us and that will leave us playing a game which we excel at counterattacking.

With players coming back from injury and players finding good form we have never been better placed to make this a historic season.

The emergence of our defence this Season has been the key in our management of games. In Seasons past we would have conceded a lot more goals with the likes of Lovren, Klavan, Moreno, Mignolet and Karius in tow, of that i am sure. The addition of Alisson and van Dijk coupled with the emergence of Trent, Robbo and Joe have completely transformed our defence, it is unrecognisable from the previous shambles.

My comments relating to poor performance are purely down to the lack of output from the midfield, that has been clear to see by anybody. We have lacked creativity, we have lacked goals and we have also lacked guile. Hopefully with the supposedly permanent implementation of Fabinho as defensive midfielder then we can see a bit more from the midfield three, as we did last night. With the Ox still to come back it is looking good for the rest of the Season.

Hopefully that will be the case.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #560: Apr 10, 2019 02:46:52 pm
      we have outscored them 7-0 in the 2.5 games we've played them in the CL
      2.5 games or 3 games?
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #561: Apr 10, 2019 02:52:03 pm
      We are far from on brink on winning anything. City are still fav for league and barca juve and City are still more favoured to win CL one of those. What can say is its been a great ride. Only a few years back we were struggling to qualify for this competition. So huge progress been made hopefully more to come yet

We are potentially 4 games away from winning the Champions League and 5 games away from potentially winning the Title. That is on the brink unless you are a totally pedantic negative end of a bell.

Jesus, i wish i hadn't said anything now!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #562: Apr 10, 2019 02:53:56 pm
      Very solid and good base for our second leg. We focus back on the league without think much about the Champions League.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      Reply #563: Apr 10, 2019 03:00:56 pm

Have to say i am of the opposing camp here brezi. It's F***ing scary as F**k to me knowing that a well timed run can leave us wide open at any time. When we have an established and settled defensive unit then i will breathe a little easier. It's a very high risk strategy, my opinion of course.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #564: Apr 10, 2019 03:16:12 pm
      EH ?  city are cracking. They lost 1-0 last night btw. we won 2-0, just to clarify, and were top of the league.

The lads on BT summed it up last night, were looking unstopable, even when we give teams a 1 nil start recently we come back in win, last night we totally bossed that game, they had 1 or 2 breaks and some set pieces, and remember our LB was not even playing.

Dont fear anyone.

he is one behind Aguero who just stands in the penalty area and does little for the team. Mo played left back for a time last night tracking back and winning the ball back proper team player
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #565: Apr 10, 2019 03:19:40 pm
      there has been no lack of output from midfield its just how Jürgen sets them up to be cover for our marauding wing backs .When they go forward we basically have a 5 man attack so the discipline needed by the midfield to sit and cover is immense and would not suit a lot of players. The heavy metal football has gone and with it a pragmatic Jürgen is guiding us to success
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #566: Apr 10, 2019 03:25:58 pm
      there has been no lack of output from midfield its just how Jürgen sets them up to be cover for our marauding wing backs .When they go forward we basically have a 5 man attack so the discipline needed by the midfield to sit and cover is immense and would not suit a lot of players. The heavy metal football has gone and with it a pragmatic Jürgen is guiding us to success

This needs to be printed and displayed in huge banners across multiple forums. We are still the second highest in the league (75) and conceded only 20! Hope the arm chair pundits get the logic.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #567: Apr 10, 2019 03:35:43 pm

Not so keen myself. Think that’s how we got caught out against West Ham wasn’t it?
      Porto easily slipped a ball through out wide too instead of trying to play it into the box. Risky IMO, just need somebody to be sleeping a bit and it could easily cost you a goal.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #568: Apr 10, 2019 03:36:14 pm
      This needs to be printed and displayed in huge banners across multiple forums. We are still the second highest in the league (75) and conceded only 20! Hope the arm chair pundits get the logic.

Well, most on here still haven't grasped it, despite the fact I've been posting it for the last 2 seasons.

Last night we pushed 2 of 3 mids a bit further up, and the result was that the game was wide open.
      Doesn't take much, just 5 yards further will do it, because the mutual support is not as immediate.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #569: Apr 10, 2019 05:21:16 pm

nah mate it doesn't meet with various agendas. You could put out a thousand positive stats about the team this season and we would still get the "our midfield don't score or create enough". Jürgen demands total discipline its probably why players need so long to gain his trust and a regular starting position and he seems to be spot on when you look at how well the new signing do when they get the "message".
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #570: Apr 10, 2019 06:43:35 pm
      because 4 > 2

has anyone done the quadruple before? i know the treble has been done

So ignore us going.for the double? Not saying it wouldn't be impressive to win four, but Western media seems unable to consider more than one narrative. The double is not easy, and it's harder today than it used to be.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #571: Apr 10, 2019 07:17:02 pm
      So ignore us going.for the double? Not saying it wouldn't be impressive to win four, but Western media seems unable to consider more than one narrative. The double is not easy, and it's harder today than it used to be.

Yes, it is harder than it used to be, but the quadruple would include the double we're going after, therefore deservedly gets the attention.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #572: Apr 10, 2019 07:17:50 pm
      As for cities assault on the big prizes. They ain’t so clever without Fernandinho in the middle chopping people down, and he’s surely gonna see red soon. The more he gets away with it, the more complacent he will become, and one of the refs will be brave enough Mark my words.
      Dirty hacking b***ard.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #573: Apr 10, 2019 07:41:58 pm
      They ain’t so clever without Fernandinho in the middle chopping people down, and he’s surely gonna see red soon.

Never gonna happen, and you know it!!! Him and Casemiro seem to get away with murder each game, don't see it changing anytime soon!
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #574: Apr 10, 2019 11:20:19 pm
      Wow I'm glad we got Porto cos people were saying them and ajax were weakest team. Ajax were brilliant tonight totally dominated juve with one touch football wouldn't be surprised to see them in  the final

Quick Reply