Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool FC Kit: Nike potential new kit deal

Read 4659 times
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Liverpool FC Kit: Nike potential new kit deal
      Apr 11, 2019 03:24:01 pm
      wasn't sure where to put this, but apparently we're deep into negotiations with Nike for a new kit deal that would eclipse United's.

Liverpool are in advanced talks with Nike over a new long-term kit deal which is expected to exceed the value of Manchester United's Ā£750 million agreement with Adidas and become the biggest ever struck by a Premier League club, sources with knowledge of the negotiations have told ESPN FC.

The Anfield club's deal with suppliers New Balance -- worth Ā£45m a year -- is due to expire at the end of the 2019-20 season and the American sportswear company, sources said, have a "matching clause" within their contract which enables them to retain and extend their deal by equalling any rival offer.

But have told ESPN FC that Nike are leading the battle to secure the Liverpool contract due to their readiness to put the club in the same earnings league as United.

Liverpool have also held discussions with Adidas and Puma in an effort to secure the highest possible figure for their new kit deal, but the club are deep into negotiations with Nike as they attempt to reach an agreement before the New Balance contract enters its final year.

Barcelona's Ā£100m-a-year, 10-year deal with Nike, which began in 2018, is the biggest in football, eclipsing the Ā£98m-a-year, 10-year deal struck between Real Madrid and Adidas in 2015.

And while Liverpool are unlikely to clinch a package of the same magnitude as Barca or Madrid, market research commissioned by the club's managing director, Billy Hogan, has shown that the five-time European champions can command a deal at the same level, or even higher, than United.

There were initial concerns at Anfield that Nike's deals with Barca, Paris Saint-Germain, Tottenham and Chelsea, and Adidas' big-money partnerships with Real, United and Bayern Munich, had saturated the market to the extent that Liverpool would not be able to command a United-style figure.

But the club has been told that the rarity value of their kit deal becoming available, combined with the prominence of the Liverpool brand, driven by manager JĆ¼rgen Klopp and star players Mohamed Salah, Virgil van Dijk and Roberto Firmino, has strengthened their ability to secure a deal that would put them in the same bracket as football's global elite.

Liverpool, who are in contention win the Premier League and Champions League this season, announced record-breaking financial figures in February by posting a pre-tax profit of Ā£125m for the year ending May 2018.

And the American-owned outfit are determined to maintain their financial strength by securing a kit deal which they believe reflects the club's global fanbase.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpool/story/3823211/liverpool-in-talks-over-nike-deal-that-would-eclipse-man-united-kit-earnings-sources

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2019 01:27:47 pm by JD »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Liverpool FC Kit: Nike potential new kit deal.
      Reply #1: Apr 11, 2019 06:03:15 pm
      wasn't sure where to put this, but apparently we're deep into negotiations with Nike for a new kit deal that would eclipse United's.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpool/story/3823211/liverpool-in-talks-over-nike-deal-that-would-eclipse-man-united-kit-earnings-sources

Good news if true. And I guarantee that Nike will want to give us a huge deal to eclipse United.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #2: Apr 11, 2019 08:39:15 pm
      New topic created,

Old thread Liverpool FC Kit 2015/16: New Balance take over Warrior Football is here: https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,47056.msg1683585.html#msg1683585

Rumours, if to be believed, are that the deal would start at the end of 2019/20 season, and would eclipse the Ā£750m one Adidas have with M.Utd.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3: Apr 11, 2019 09:11:53 pm
      So we looking at around Ā£800mill? Iā€™m guessing it would be over 10 years?

Our relationship turned a bit sour with Adidas from what I remember so their loss. Step up from the days of Warrior.

Though to be fair to New Balance, the last 2 home kits have been boss.

More great signs of the direction the club is heading. Continued improvement on the pitch, stadium expansion, new training complex, mammoth kit deal. Very hard to find any fault in the hierarchy at the club now. What a turn around.

Kit deal is from the end of next season though isnā€™t it?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #4: Apr 12, 2019 12:16:53 am
      About time... Should have had a deal like this in place five-six years ago
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Apr 12, 2019 12:24:40 am

We werenā€™t in a position to command a deal like this back then. Getting smashed 6-1 by Stoke, 3-0 by WBA and Christ knows who else, feeble attempt in the Champions League etc and apart from one season of coming 2nd, we were largely fighting for a place in the Europa League at a push. A deal like this was never going to happen before now because the club was sliding downhill back then.
      « Last Edit: Apr 12, 2019 12:30:09 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #6: Apr 12, 2019 05:44:29 am

No one was getting deals like this 5-6 years ago, bar maybe whatever deal Barca is on? The Madrid, United etc deals only happened within the last five years - and they had the pedigree to demand that. We were not close to being in this kinda position to try and be the biggest deal in the Premier League. Now we have the manager and a bucket load of marketable players, it's a hell of a lot easier to push.

Anyway - bloody love this. I have no animosity towards New Balance, think they've done a brilliant job of the kits the last two years in particular. However Nike is such a global powerhouse, their range of gear outside of the jerseys themselves is boss. Can only imagine the amount of money I'll spend on all sorts of swag if this comes to fruition! The money is the big thing though, the fact we can talk about powers such as Nike being keen to put this kind of investment into us is testament to just how far we've come.

On a personal standpoint, since I went to the University of Oregon (Go Ducks) where Nike was founded, I've got a lot of love for the company (obvious labor issues over the years and whatnot aside, which is certainly not isolated to them) and would love to see this happen. Got connections that can get heavily discounted Nike gear at the employee store at their world headquarters in Portland so they'd be getting a lot more communication from me if this does happen :D
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Apr 12, 2019 06:39:46 am
      Would prefer Adidas JWH, I like their gear better ;)   but maybe the 100s of millions will sway it...
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Apr 12, 2019 09:00:27 am
      It is my understanding that the deal will only happen if New Balance donā€™t match or better the offer Nike have procured, looks like Nike win that then, anyhoo, like a few others have said the New Balance kits have been boss recently, my hope is Nike have been watching and listening to what the fans want, no fancy piping and sh*t like that , needless to say, having a global powerhouse logo on your kits is testament indeed to which direction our club heading,.....

.....ā€are you watching Manchesterā€™....

YNWA
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #9: Apr 12, 2019 09:25:59 am
      Can't wait to buy my Ā£100 shirt to help fund this deal.

Not a massive fan of Nike gear personally but if there's a top market for this kind of thing then Liverpool should be in that upper market.   Always thought that the material Nike uses for its stuff is well suited for kites.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #10: Apr 12, 2019 09:27:09 am
      We werenā€™t in a position to command a deal like this back then. Getting smashed 6-1 by Stoke, 3-0 by WBA and Christ knows who else, feeble attempt in the Champions League etc and apart from one season of coming 2nd, we were largely fighting for a place in the Europa League at a push. A deal like this was never going to happen before now because the club was sliding downhill back then.

Correct.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Apr 12, 2019 09:28:19 am
      PS. never been a fan of Nike.

But whatever is best for the club going forward suits me.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #12: Apr 12, 2019 10:31:01 am
      As long as the shirt is red and has the badge on it I couldn't care less about the design.

I care if we get the best possible deal for a sponsorship that would finally take us on par with the richest clubs in Europe.

No more playing second fiddle to Man Utd in terms of sponsorship deals :)
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #13: Apr 12, 2019 04:59:39 pm
      Problem with Nike is all the kits are the same for each team, itā€™s just a template.

Sad to see NB go as they have made some very nice, unique kits.

Good news all round though, would prefer if Adidas offered us that kind money
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #14: Apr 12, 2019 05:27:49 pm
      Good money I guess, but I'm not looking forward to the boring Nike template kits. Been a fan of the NB stuff recently, particularly the home kits.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #15: Apr 12, 2019 05:37:05 pm
      Problem with Nike is all the kits are the same for each team, itā€™s just a template.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. I mean other than they have a neck hole, two arms and a hole at the bottom, I don't see how they are a "template". There are several different graphic designs, several different collars and a myriad of colors that are used.

Nike doesn't use "templates" anymore than Adidas or anyone else does.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #16: Apr 12, 2019 05:40:32 pm
       Not overly arsed to be honest,  got a bit pissed with adidas and their 3 stripes a few years backed but otherwise i am not that fussed
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #17: Apr 12, 2019 05:41:41 pm
      adidas please.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #18: Apr 12, 2019 06:31:39 pm
      Preferably a company that can accommodate the more rotund supporter like myself, 3XL aint happening , Im big boned
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #19: Apr 12, 2019 07:11:54 pm
      We've earned it on the pitch ... where it matters.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Apr 12, 2019 07:15:27 pm

Adidas can piss off, didnā€™t want us when we werenā€™t as good. Plus donā€™t want the same company as Mancs and Chavs.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #21: Apr 13, 2019 01:06:10 pm
      Will I have to throw out my Aldi trainers ?. who cares as long as they give JĆ¼rgen a boost to his transfer fund and with our profit this season and still raking in CL money all the way to the final it will be like a kid making a Christmas wish list. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Liverpool FC Kit: Nike potential new kit deal
      Reply #22: Apr 13, 2019 02:08:32 pm
      Adidas can piss off, didnā€™t want us when we werenā€™t as good. Plus donā€™t want the same company as Mancs and Chavs.

I totally agree!

Give us the money andI would wear anything.

Quick Reply