Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Alisson
      4 (4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      19 (18.8%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (3%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1%)
       Fabinho
      9 (8.9%)
      James Milner
      1 (1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      18 (17.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      26 (25.7%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      7 (6.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      10 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Voting closed: Apr 21, 2019 09:53:10 pm

FC Porto 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23457 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: FC Porto 1-4 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Apr 18, 2019 10:42:55 am

Got so, so lucky didn’t he mate.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #576: Apr 18, 2019 11:14:29 am
      You'd hope so bit like I say it will be down to us to request and the decision to be down to sky

Only move would be to 12.30 Saturday but that would need Man city's match to be moved and them agreeing

Can you see them doing that?
      I can't

BBC reporting Newcastle v Liverpool 1945 Saturday 4th may
      Kopite78
      Reply #577: Apr 18, 2019 11:17:35 am
      BBC reporting Newcastle v Liverpool 1945 Saturday 4th may

Evening Saturday

Makes sense

Geordies are gonna be up for that having been on the ale all Saturday

But better than Sunday for us
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #578: Apr 18, 2019 11:24:49 am
      Well, they did have a go, but we are such a good footballing side, much more game savvy than last year, that we just needed the chance to kill the tie.  Second half we eased to victory and won a quarter final 6-1 without really breaking a sweat.

Not sure how I feel about VAR, but it is here to stay and has had a massive impact this week.

What a few weeks ahead, and a great time to be a Red.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #579: Apr 18, 2019 12:09:34 pm
      I was watching ajax play other night. What a player de ligt is at the back. He was brilliant a leader of men and a great goal. Captain of ajax at 19. As much as I love gomez and he been brilliant this guy is something else and brave as a lion only 19.Would love us to sign him up.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #580: Apr 18, 2019 12:11:44 pm
      I was watching ajax play other night. What a player de ligt is at the back. He was brilliant a leader of men and a great goal. Captain of ajax at 19. As much as I love gomez and he been brilliant this guy is something else and brave as a lion only 19.Would love us to sign him up.

Yea unfortunately it looks like he’s going to Barca.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #581: Apr 18, 2019 12:43:13 pm
      [/quote
      So barca get there two best players. They be sum team next year. I hate that teams build a young side from. Scratch like Monaco  few years ago and ajax now and then they big vultures madrid and barca start to circle and its back to square one making them even stronger.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #582: Apr 18, 2019 12:47:11 pm
      We were stuck in second gear but was much more than enough :)

Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #583: Apr 18, 2019 12:59:25 pm

Impressed by his performance on the pitch and his interview after. Obviously hugely impressive to be a starting CB at his age, and thought his interview afterwards showed why he's where he is already; very circumspect, articulate and seems to have a mature head on his shoulders.

Every major club would love to bring him in, does seem like Barca are frontrunners. Any chance of the Virgil connection playing in our favour? There's also the possibility Klopp wouldn't want another CB with Gomez looking to kick on.

Can't wait for the Barca tie now, fancy us over two legs and Anfield in the return leg will be special. Happy days
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #584: Apr 18, 2019 01:03:47 pm
      So barca get there two best players. They be sum team next year. I hate that teams build a young side from. Scratch like Monaco  few years ago and ajax now and then they big vultures madrid and barca start to circle and its back to square one making them even stronger.

That's how clubs like Monaco and Ajax are built in fairness. With Monaco I think it's more good recruitment of foreign youngsters then selling them on at huge profits and with Ajax there's a lot of work with young academy players than selling them on to other clubs and funding for the process to start again.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #585: Apr 18, 2019 01:30:24 pm
      Great performance, did the usual away rule of absorbing the pressure for the first 20mins then hit them on the break.  Really good how we managed the game, never looked like we were panicking

can't wait for Barca, we will cause them problems.

YNWA
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #586: Apr 18, 2019 01:33:24 pm
      Please try to explain to me Why, as an LFC fan you would do this on a night when we (only) had a 2 goal lead from an home leg in which we should have put the game to bed Porto were more than capable of recovering the game especially based on the first 25 mins.
      Yes the game was all over after our first BUT you still chose to watch our closest League rivals over your own team!

I live in Australia having emigrated last year and rose at 4-30am to watch my team, I watch via the internet (1 min delay) and only turned over after THIS site posted the FT score to see Sterling score their 5th, I cannot understand anyone choosing NOT to watch their own team!

OK here goes. I watched us in a pretty dull and slightly disjointed display for the first half, after we had scored I knew they need to score 4 which by the look of them there was zero chance of happening. Then in the second half I switched over to watching City-Spurs on the main TV whilst I had us on the mobile phone (BT Sports app), I was then flicking between the two and saw all our goals, and theirs, whilst I could focus on a far more exciting game on TV, honestly it really was a very good game.
      So I was in effect multitasking but with the main focus on the other match second half, once I knew we were safe.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #587: Apr 18, 2019 01:34:48 pm
      Great win, but to be fair the scoreline flattered us a little.

At the same time, although their stats look good, they created few, if any, real clear cut chances.
      Their tactics in the first half hour were pretty much spot on, until we got better organised and from that point on, we slowly but surely took control.

The biggest difference was that we took our chances, and took them well.

Firmino and Henderson made a huge difference to our play, but I went for VVD as MOTM.
      He had a good game against a powerful opponent who wanted to rough him up - it didn't work, the man's a beast.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #588: Apr 18, 2019 01:36:38 pm
      I see Gary neville saying now that United because they have 3 games now in about 8 days should rest players for the city clash as they have Chelsea couple days after and that's a 6 pointer. Everton on Sunday aswell

Yes, and I think that is a good illustration of why he was such a F***ing useless manager and is such a thundercunt of a person!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #589: Apr 18, 2019 01:42:46 pm
      Great win, but to be fair the scoreline flattered us a little.

At the same time, although their stats look good, they created few, if any, real clear cut chances.
      Their tactics in the first half hour were pretty much spot on, until we got better organised and from that point on, we slowly but surely took control.

The biggest difference was that we took our chances, and took them well.

Firmino and Henderson made a huge difference to our play, but I went for VVD as MOTM.
      He had a good game against a powerful opponent who wanted to rough him up - it didn't work, the man's a beast.

I thought Porto were bang average over the two legs, how the hell they got past Roma is a bit of a mystery to be honest. Barca will be tougher but I actually fancy us to beat them convincingly over 2 legs, their defence is suspect and I actually think our attack is better, certainly as a unit. We just need to keep Messi quiet better than we did Hazard but with Joe back now that should be possible.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #590: Apr 18, 2019 07:11:27 pm
      I thought he was in goal
      Last season for Porto?..

What's funny is in the last 2 years in CL I think the only goalie who gave up more goals to Liverpool than Casillas, was Allison?

Probably why he decided to come to Liverpool. We scared the sh*t out the man.
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019 07:18:14 pm by YANK_LFC_FAN »
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #591: Apr 18, 2019 07:21:48 pm

That's how clubs like Monaco and Ajax are built in fairness. With Monaco I think it's more good recruitment of foreign youngsters then selling them on at huge profits and with Ajax there's a lot of work with young academy players than selling them on to other clubs and funding for the process to start again.

I remember in the late 80s early 90s Ajax supposedly had the best academy in all Football.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #592: Apr 18, 2019 10:52:11 pm
      Quote from frizzby5
      Please try to explain to me Why, as an LFC fan you would do this on a night when we (only) had a 2 goal lead from an home leg in which we should have put the game to bed Porto were more than capable of recovering the game especially based on the first 25 mins.
      Yes the game was all over after our first BUT you still chose to watch our closest League rivals over your own team!

I live in Australia having emigrated last year and rose at 4-30am to watch my team, I watch via the internet (1 min delay) and only turned over after

It's easy for Europeans to forget the inconveniences our global fanbase endure every week, or even twice a week. We had one pre-season friendly against City at 1am GMT+1, and the local fanbase complained that they couldn't stay up to watch it. One game! So credit to those who do so every week of the season.

England and Portugal are in the same timezone, so the 8pm local time ko suits everyone. We got the draw we wanted and the scoreline showed why. Last year, we hit them for 5, this year we hit them for 6. We are better than Porto, that's just the way it is.

We also need VAR and now we have it, we reap the rewards. Despite Gary Gillespie insisting the first goal was offside, even after seeing the replays, with the lines, it's there for a reason, to spot things the human eye on the field cannot. The goal ended the tie as a contest, and we could stroll through the rest of it, picking them off as they got more frustrated. Onto the other side of Iberia next to face Barcelona, in a ground we've never lost in.

As for heimdall, maybe he prefers us to do things the hard way. So when it's not, he obviously got distracted and decided to watch Sterling try to win the European Cup. After all, that's why he abandoned our ship, and why he'll be on a beach looking at ships instead of silverware on June 1st.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #593: Apr 19, 2019 01:30:44 am
      OK here goes. I watched us in a pretty dull and slightly disjointed display for the first half, after we had scored I knew they need to score 4 which by the look of them there was zero chance of happening. Then in the second half I switched over to watching City-Spurs on the main TV whilst I had us on the mobile phone (BT Sports app), I was then flicking between the two and saw all our goals, and theirs, whilst I could focus on a far more exciting game on TV, honestly it really was a very good game.
      So I was in effect multitasking but with the main focus on the other match second half, once I knew we were safe.

I think it would have come across better had you explained the multitasking at the time,I Watched the Citeh game straight after our game and yes it was very good game!
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #594: Apr 20, 2019 09:29:08 am
      I think it would have come across better had you explained the multitasking at the time,I Watched the Citeh game straight after our game and yes it was very good game!
      I watched the City game this morning on City TV on Fox Sports, just to enjoy the reaction of their commentator. I was more than a bit disappointed, as he had very little to no emotion at all, and it did ruin the VAR decisions a bit to be honest.

Quick Reply