Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Hillsborough 30 years on, and counting.

Read 7868 times
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,184 posts | 912 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Hillsborough 30 years on, and counting.
      Reply #46: Apr 16, 2020 08:17:37 pm
      Just started listening to the Hillsboro podcast on the BBC sounds app via radio Merseyside very good but spoilt by Snelly narrating
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #47: Apr 17, 2020 08:52:00 pm
      RIP.

I read a book just after I started supporting LIverpool in 1998. Could someone who is knowledgeable, who really knows about the books written on the tragedy, please PM me? I have some questions as I want to recall the author and title of the book I read. It filled me with a profound sadness as I had just returned from my first trip to the city and to Anfield and I was so smitten with the entire place - then to read the personal accounts of people who were there that day.

To all of you out there, wherever you are tonight. Be safe.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #48: Apr 17, 2020 11:17:48 pm
      RIP.

I read a book just after I started supporting LIverpool in 1998. Could someone who is knowledgeable, who really knows about the books written on the tragedy, please PM me? I have some questions as I want to recall the author and title of the book I read. It filled me with a profound sadness as I had just returned from my first trip to the city and to Anfield and I was so smitten with the entire place - then to read the personal accounts of people who were there that day.

To all of you out there, wherever you are tonight. Be safe.

Was it The Truth by Prof. P Scraton?
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020 02:52:54 pm by HUYTON RED »
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,282 posts | 1513 
      Reply #49: Apr 18, 2020 12:16:15 am
      Once sgsin I say Rest in piece 96
      But truthfully, I can never find the words to express what I really feel.
      Y N W A.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #50: Apr 18, 2020 12:44:44 am
      Was it The Truth by Prof. J Scraton?

Yes
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #51: Apr 18, 2020 02:30:45 am

So what I know is it was written before 2000. It was full of first-hand accounts and the narrative switched back from person to person going through the sequence of the day's events. One was a man whose son died, and he described how much fun his group had on the way to Sheffield, stopping for a shandy and getting some papers to read about the match. One was Trevor Hicks talking about standing in the less-crowded, adjoining pen and pleading with police officers to do something about what was happening, knowing his two daughters were in there, but a cop told him to shut it (get sad and mad at the same time just typing it). Another was Lee Nicol's mother talking about being in hospital with him afterward and Princess Diana visiting them at his bedside before he died.

Yet another first-person account was of an older fan who saw the crowding outside the ground and decided to wait to go in, but who remembered from a previous trip that there were pens to each side of the center entrance that would be less crowded. There was also a man who was in the crush and he described what it was like not being able to move and thinking he was dying, including a girl tapping his foot with hers as that is all she could do (that one account is just about the most powerful thing I've ever seen written).

I'd like to get a copy of the book for my son to read because it was the best thing I"ve seen so far as helping me understand what it was like (as best as someone can who wasn't there). I think it would help him to understand why it is still so important that justice be done.

Any help is appreciated.
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020 02:36:34 am by Robby The Z »
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3390 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #52: Apr 18, 2020 11:04:38 am
      So what I know is it was written before 2000. It was full of first-hand accounts and the narrative switched back from person to person going through the sequence of the day's events. One was a man whose son died, and he described how much fun his group had on the way to Sheffield, stopping for a shandy and getting some papers to read about the match. One was Trevor Hicks talking about standing in the less-crowded, adjoining pen and pleading with police officers to do something about what was happening, knowing his two daughters were in there, but a cop told him to shut it (get sad and mad at the same time just typing it). Another was Lee Nicol's mother talking about being in hospital with him afterward and Princess Diana visiting them at his bedside before he died.

Yet another first-person account was of an older fan who saw the crowding outside the ground and decided to wait to go in, but who remembered from a previous trip that there were pens to each side of the center entrance that would be less crowded. There was also a man who was in the crush and he described what it was like not being able to move and thinking he was dying, including a girl tapping his foot with hers as that is all she could do (that one account is just about the most powerful thing I've ever seen written).

I'd like to get a copy of the book for my son to read because it was the best thing I"ve seen so far as helping me understand what it was like (as best as someone can who wasn't there). I think it would help him to understand why it is still so important that justice be done.

Any help is appreciated.

Kindle version on amazon. 1.copy on amazon of the book. Have the book myself
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 845 posts | 235 
      Reply #53: Apr 18, 2020 02:08:19 pm

I think this is the only book that has ever brought me to tears, reading about the way the families were treated.

A masterpiece, by Prof Scraton.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #54: Apr 18, 2020 02:51:58 pm
      I think this is the only book that has ever brought me to tears, reading about the way the families were treated.

A masterpiece, by Prof Scraton.

Yeah got an updated copy around time of 20th anniversary and possibly the hardest book I've read. So many times I literally had to put the book down and go do something else for a bit as it either got me very emotional or very angry.

Apart from the actual HIP report, it's probably the only other definitive account of the disaster.
      « Last Edit: Apr 18, 2020 03:02:32 pm by HUYTON RED »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #55: Apr 18, 2020 03:00:07 pm
      Defo must have book for all of us.I picked it up here again after i lost my original copy,https://www.bookdepository.com/Hillsborough-Truth-Phil-Scraton/9781910948019?ref=grid-view&qid=1587218128282&sr=1-1.They ship to the USA,Robby lad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #56: Apr 18, 2020 04:20:51 pm
      Yeah got an updated copy around time of 20th anniversary and possibly the hardest book I've read. So many times I literally had to put the book down and go do something else for a bit as it either got me very emotional or very angry.

Apart from the actual HIP report, it's probably the only other definitive account of the disaster.

Yea definitely a tough read but we'll worth it for anyone who hasn't read it.

We went to see Phil' lecture in Belfast in 2012, Speaking Truth to Power and was an interesting and emotional account of the fight for justice.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,545 posts | 3905 
      Reply #57: Aug 05, 2022 11:55:46 am
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,086 posts | 8516 
      Reply #59: Aug 05, 2022 12:26:04 pm
      The actual comment in full:

But Tyler went on to say unchallenged: "You've got to remember football was in a bit of a crisis at that time. We weren't that long after Hillsborough and other hooligan-related issues as well, so it was very much a difficult time for the game generally."

Lazy comments because he wants to say how F***ing great the sky product is. That's all he's there to do.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #60: Aug 05, 2022 12:44:27 pm
      As one of those Hooligans form the 70's and 80's I can not remember hitting anyone or getting into trouble. It was there if you wanted it but that wasnt unique to football they were violent times and needs to be looked at with some knowledge of the awful period people  lived through and Tyler new exactly what he was saying that SKY rescued football. I should also say I cant f***in stand him.
      The BBC also use Mackenzie who should be barred from the media having been identified as a corrupt liar but its the BBC we know what standards they work to ...the gutter
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2022 12:56:18 pm by waltonl4 »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,896 posts | 4968 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #61: Aug 05, 2022 02:49:08 pm
      As one of those Hooligans form the 70's and 80's I can not remember hitting anyone or getting into trouble. It was there if you wanted it but that wasnt unique to football they were violent times and needs to be looked at with some knowledge of the awful period people  lived through and Tyler new exactly what he was saying that SKY rescued football. I should also say I cant f***in stand him.
      The BBC also use Mackenzie who should be barred from the media having been identified as a corrupt liar but its the BBC we know what standards they work to ...the gutter

I too would be described as a hooligan of the 70’s & 80’s, it was the sign of the times back then, when that Cnut Thatcher brought industrial Britain to its knees when every working class citizen became a enemy of the State, she and her government totally responsible for the deprivation borne form her capitalism, ‘A’ typical Tory philosophy of kicking the poor when their down, their still at it now, today, think Boris was bad ? Wait and see what that f***in bi*ch Truss comes out with,

Anyhoo,
      Back on topic, Walton is spot on, unless you lived through it you won’t get what it meant back in those dark times, high unemployment, no hope, no future, riots and the inevitable football violence rife almost every weekend, Tyler knows full well the state of the country back then, he knows of the conditions ppl had no choice but to just get thru each and every day, and for the football fraternity Saturday afternoons the only escape and the only place to vent your anger and frustration, all caused by Thatcherite bas**rds creating havoc, job losses, factory closures, whole industries decimated for cheap labour abroad and high profits for Tory benefactors, Tyler knew what he was saying alright, knew it and probably meant it too, the Cnut that he is !!!

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply