Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Summer 2019 friendlies in USA

Read 15987 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Summer 2019 friendlies in USA
      Apr 23, 2019 07:56:04 pm
      Jürgen Klopp’s men will visit Fenway Park in Boston, Yankee Stadium in New York City and Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Indiana at the University of Notre Dame.

Kicking off the Reds’ trip, the University of Notre Dame in Indiana will host a competitive football match for the first time in the 90-year history of its 77,000-seat venue, when the Reds face Borussia Dortmund on Friday July 19 (8pm kick-off local time).

The team will next make their way to Boston for a welcome return to the home of the Boston Red Sox, Fenway Park, to meet Spain’s oldest football club, Sevilla FC, on Sunday July 21 (6pm kick-off local time).

Then, on Wednesday July 24, the famous Yankee Stadium baseball field will be transformed into a football pitch when Liverpool take on Sporting CP (8pm kick-off local time).

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/347116-liverpool-tour-united-states-dortmund-sevilla-sporting.

South Bend,Fenway and Yankee stadium.
      « Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019 11:07:00 pm by JD »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Summer 2019 friendlies in USA
      Reply #1: Apr 23, 2019 09:22:35 pm
      Am I being overly hopeful by assuming the game vs Sporting Lisbon is part of the deal for us to sign Bruno Fernandes?

......thought so.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Apr 24, 2019 02:14:15 pm
      Am I being overly hopeful by assuming the game vs Sporting Lisbon is part of the deal for us to sign Bruno Fernandes?

......thought so.

;D.

Reds coming to my home state of Indiana for the first time. Sadly the ticket prices will likely exclude me again.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #3: Apr 24, 2019 02:20:04 pm
      I’ll go to the game at Yankee Stadium.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #4: Apr 24, 2019 02:30:01 pm
      Not sure what the fascination is with playing footy at baseball grounds is all about.

Can any of our US friends enlighten me because it all looks a bit daft to me - fans miles away from the pitch around most of the stadium.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #5: Apr 24, 2019 02:42:15 pm
      Not sure what the fascination is with playing footy at baseball grounds is all about.

Can any of our US friends enlighten me because it all looks a bit daft to me - fans miles away from the pitch around most of the stadium.

Was just about to post this.

Not as if there are a shortage of stadiums in the US either.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #6: Apr 24, 2019 03:34:13 pm
      I don't think there's a specific reason other than the obvious Fenway connection,Patriots stadium is in the ass end of Foxborough,35 miles away,plastic pitch,only other choices in Boston are Harvard and B.C both plastic pitches.That champions cup thing has probs got dibs on alot of stadiums.Notre Dame has never had a soccer game and has an iconic status as far as stadiums go.Kinda the same goes with Yankees stadium,better going there than than New Jersey.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #7: Apr 24, 2019 03:40:29 pm
      I don't think there's a specific reason other than the obvious Fenway connection,Patriots stadium is in the ass end of Foxborough,35 miles away,plastic pitch,only other choices in Boston are Harvard and B.C both plastic pitches.That champions cup thing has probs got dibs on alot of stadiums.Notre Dame has never had a soccer game and has an iconic status as far as stadiums go.Kinda the same goes with Yankees stadium,better going there than than New Jersey.

I thought this idea to play a sport in a different stadium started with the NHL and their winter classics where they play outdoors then soccer caught on? Could be wrong.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #8: Apr 24, 2019 03:57:27 pm
      Don't know but they ain't playing at Fenway if Henry doesn't own it! Anyway advanced tickets are live for Boston game.Anyone remember what the break is for players after international tournaments 2 weeks or a month after their last game? Some big names cold be missing!
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2019 04:25:58 pm by Boston not la »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Apr 24, 2019 04:52:50 pm
      I do think it's more about the spectacle of big names in famous stadiums. The seating not really fitting with football as JD noted is one issue, and then some American football stadiums, like Michigan last summer, have too narrow of a playing surface even when you expand the boundaries, which really changes the dynamic of a match. But this event everybsummer has shown that if you put the right teams out, fans will flock in large numbers, even with exorbitant ticket prices.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #10: Apr 24, 2019 05:20:41 pm
      Don't know but they ain't playing at Fenway if Henry doesn't own it! Anyway advanced tickets are live for Boston game.Anyone remember what the break is for players after international tournaments 2 weeks or a month after their last game? Some big names cold be missing!

There's the obvious Fenway connection, but they are playing at Yankee stadium too, and Liverpool are not co-owned by the Steinbrenners.

There are plenty of stadiums in the US where they could play, so i think Robby the Z is onto something regarding big names in famous staadiums.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #11: Apr 24, 2019 05:24:36 pm
      I do think it's more about the spectacle of big names in famous stadiums. The seating not really fitting with football as JD noted is one issue, and then some American football stadiums, like Michigan last summer, have too narrow of a playing surface even when you expand the boundaries, which really changes the dynamic of a match. But this event everybsummer has shown that if you put the right teams out, fans will flock in large numbers, even with exorbitant ticket prices.

I think that makes sense. I am about halfway between NY and Boston so i could go to either game, but friendlies really do not interest me much. There is no intensity and it's basically a glorified training exercise often times with big names missing which in my opinion is not worth the price that these games are likely to cost. I'd pay the equivalent to what a minor league game costs, not premium price.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #12: Apr 24, 2019 06:05:08 pm
      I think that makes sense. I am about halfway between NY and Boston so i could go to either game, but friendlies really do not interest me much. There is no intensity and it's basically a glorified training exercise often times with big names missing which in my opinion is not worth the price that these games are likely to cost. I'd pay the equivalent to what a minor league game costs, not premium price.

It's just too dear for me with all the medical expenses we have. I'd rather go see a legit training session if they happen to open up one of those while they are out here.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,010 posts | 2735 
      Reply #13: Apr 24, 2019 06:18:28 pm
      Won't be much of the first team there considering the Copa America and African Cup of Nations in the summer.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #14: Apr 24, 2019 07:43:43 pm

Think we're arguing the same side of the coin here.I wonder if Clyne will show! :action-smiley-035: >:D
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #15: Apr 25, 2019 01:24:59 am
      I bought my tickets for the game at Notre Dame in South Bend, IN. I am excited to see the game. I enjoy getting to see the mighty Reds play.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #16: Apr 25, 2019 04:06:27 am
      I bought my tickets for the game at Notre Dame in South Bend, IN. I am excited to see the game. I enjoy getting to see the mighty Reds play.

Enjoy and enjoy a relatively short trip. Not quite Soldier Field but not too much further for you!
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #17: Apr 25, 2019 04:10:31 pm

You're right about fans flocking to these games.I had a look at LFCBoston social media and thru the roof with comments about it compared to the league title/Champions league run.Bunch of weirdo's!
      Firepool
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,274 posts | 224 
      • @Jenns_Design
      Reply #18: Apr 26, 2019 12:57:52 am
      Enjoy and enjoy a relatively short trip. Not quite Soldier Field but not too much further for you!

Thank you very much. My dad is joining me. It should be a great time.

I know sometimes we don't see everyone from the first team, but there is always a chance. I have seen quite a few of the starters throughout the games I have seen in the States. I can safely say that I will have seen the Reds each time they have come here.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #19: Apr 26, 2019 06:21:16 pm
      Went on general sale this morning already tickets up on the legal touting sites at higher prices for a F***ing friendly.I don't get it?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #20: Jun 22, 2019 04:22:12 pm
      I see John Barnes is doing a promo p.a in Cambridge,mass on monday evening.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Jun 24, 2019 12:27:30 pm
      I see John Barnes is doing a promo p.a in Cambridge,mass on monday evening.

Isn't it already sold out? Is this just to promote the Liverpool "brand" ?

As for the demand, I get it as going overseas is not an option for most American fans (or maybe it's a once in a lifetime trip - I've been lucky enough to go a half-dozen times but luck has run out for me).

But a single match here is no small price tag. I suppose selling 80 % of the seats at those prices spins the amount of cash all parties are looking for.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,528 posts | 6887 
      Reply #22: Jun 24, 2019 01:09:46 pm
      I do wonder what kind of side is going to be heading out for this US tour - AFCON, Copa America and even that Nations League stuff (as well as the fact our season didn't end till June 1st!) 

Bit of a shame that some big European clubs get to face off in different parts of the world but they don't have the players who people are used to seeing week in week out.

Quick Reply