Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Do we need a new midfielder this summer?

Read 12657 times
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Re: Do we need a new midfielder this summer?
      Reply #23: Jun 09, 2019 05:49:09 am
      Gini
      Milner
      Hendo
      Keita
      Fabinho
      Chamberlain
      Shaqiri
      Lallana (still unsure whether he will definitely be here next season)

Rumors we are after Pepe, and that looks like a signing to add depth in terms of quality and numbers, probably a replacement for Wilson. I would class him as a front-3 signing.

Now, if we decide to move on Lallana, the rumored 'lesser' fee for Fekir would be definitely worth the gamble, and with a good stock of midfielders, he would be rotated and not stretched in terms of playing time, like our front-3 for the last 2 seasons.

Have said this before, our build-up play last season was primarily through the full backs, a direct consequence of our mids playing compact and protecting the defense. If there is one area where we could improve, it would be playing through the middle a lot more and thats the reference that Arsene makes. Technically gifted, crafty #10 to dissect opposition midfield and defense, and Fekir would be immense in that regard. And one of the reasons we sought Fekir last summer was his ability to press from the front, in that false 9 position that Bobby has mastered.

Considering all that, think we'll line up in combinations of

4-3-3:

Mane/Origi - Bobby/Fekir - Mo/Pepe
      Naby/Milly - Fab/Gini - Ox/Hendo

4-2-3-1:

Mo/Origi
      Mane/Naby - Fekir/Bobby - Pepe/Shaq
      Fab/Gini - Hendo/Ox

4-2-2-2:

Mo/Mane
                   Bobby/Fekir
      Naby/Milly                    Pepe/Shaq
              Gini/Fab     Hendo/Ox

Remains to be seen if we would bring in both Pepe ANNNNDD Fekir. I hope we do cos we should be gunning for all trophies without a hint of weakness in our fielding 11, no matter the cup or the opponent.
      « Last Edit: Jun 09, 2019 06:13:18 am by Vicks86 »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #24: Jun 09, 2019 06:32:42 am
      Hahhaha put on FB replying to someone that it's a shame Hazzard has left The Premier League, he could have joined us for 200 million pounds. Someone put and where do you think you could fit him in our side?

I said On our Bench!!!!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #25: Jun 09, 2019 06:32:59 pm
      Having Keita and Ox will improve us but I think we should replace Lallana, I doubt he can challenge for a starting position and e a reliable player from the bench. However, he said himself, he plans to stay. If possible I think we should make Van Dijk vice-captain so that Milner becomes our cover for LB and we give Grujic a chance in midfield...
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #26: Jun 09, 2019 06:49:18 pm
      Other than adding depth theres not a lot more to do with this team. Moreno and Sturridge leaving I'd say we'd be looking to replace them with better.

We could spend 80 million to do that or 8 million, but I'm not sure that who ever we buy will get a starting spot in this team.

Where is the weakness really? I dont see one. The weakness is purely depth, at left back and in the forward line. Even then Brewster and Origi may well be capable deputies to be fair.

Thats not to say we shouldn't do it. It's a great position to be in to have a settled side that doesn't need much doing to it, yet adding further depth anyway. It can only be a good thing and that's what City have done for years.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #27: Jun 09, 2019 07:17:16 pm
      Other than adding depth theres not a lot more to do with this team. Moreno and Sturridge leaving I'd say we'd be looking to replace them with better.

We could spend 80 million to do that or 8 million, but I'm not sure that who ever we buy will get a starting spot in this team.

Where is the weakness really? I dont see one. The weakness is purely depth, at left back and in the forward line. Even then Brewster and Origi may well be capable deputies to be fair.

Thats not to say we shouldn't do it. It's a great position to be in to have a settled side that doesn't need much doing to it, yet adding further depth anyway. It can only be a good thing and that's what City have done for years.

Yea we will be fine even if we sign no one this summer.

I would like to improve our bench a little though and replace Mignolet and Lallana with better squad players.

Other than that we need cover at LB for Andy.

I wouldn't be opposed to us selling Lovren and signing de Ligt but not overly fussed either way.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #28: Jun 10, 2019 05:04:01 pm
      Do we NEED a new midfielder this summer? absolutely not.

We have Gini, Hendo, Fab, Keita and Ox all of whom could be starters and will have to battle it out for 3 spots with Lallana, Milner and Shaq as cover. That is top quality depth, though Lallana and Milner will need replacement in the next 1-2 years.

What i would want is a quality addition to the front 3, to cover/challenge for a spot.

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #29: Jun 10, 2019 10:01:48 pm
      Good thread this. It’s a tricky one. If you look at our starting line-up you’d have to say the midfield is the weakest when compared to our back four or our front three. However, with a fully fit Ox and Keita we have got a bit of everything. We still (for me) lack that Modric type of player who can run a game with his passing as well as possessing the skill to beat a player and break lines but hopefully Keita can provide some of this.

Sorry can’t temember who said it but replacing Studge with a top quality forward who can plays across the front three and another left back for Moreno would be my priorities.
      « Last Edit: Jun 11, 2019 07:56:25 am by Scottbot »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #30: Jun 11, 2019 12:09:49 am
      I don't think it's a priority, if someone class is available, you jump I think (Isco?).

But we have basically 2 midfielders for every position it seems so I'm good with spending our money elsewhere unless a great opportunity comes our way.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #31: Jun 11, 2019 05:45:44 am
      The biggest thing when looking to make a signing for Liverpool isnt whether we spend £18 or £80 million,its the guy has to fit,he has to blend,its a happy bunch down Anfield way last thing we need is a billy big baws and a nippy agent, Im pretty sure we look very carefully into a players characteristic before we offer terms, due diligence and all that , I would however like a Silva, Modric, Fekir,Isco,type player ,but we best leave it to Jürgen he knows what he needs.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #32: Jun 12, 2019 09:44:15 am
      Some of you would have already seen it on twitter but Arsene Wenger (very eloquently) made an interesting point on beIN sports during the aftermath of our Champions League Final victory. He noted that if there is an area we can improve on it is the technical quality and reading twitter/other forums many have pointed towards the midfield as an area where that improvement on a technical level can be made. But Arsene did counter this by saying that sometimes in search of technical brilliance you potentially undo/overlook the emotional and attitudinal qualities that he says has made us European champions.

Now if you look at our midfield options going into pre season we have:

Gini
      Milner
      Hendo
      Keita
      Fabinho
      Chamberlain
      Shaqiri
      Lallana (still unsure whether he will definitely be here next season)

Strong options I'm sure you'd agree. But can we improve on that? For me, I see a group of midfielders that are technically very good but even better in terms of physicality, work rate and most of all, attitude. In terms of technique for sure we can improve but what is it that we have to improve upon if you believe that our midfield can be improved upon? And, if a new midfielder did come into the team what would his role be and what would his qualities be?

Realistically, we have Fab, Hendo, Gini and Keita capable of being regular starters. Ox will be a massive test to see if he can get back to what he was, Milner and Shaq are good options off the bench and I think Lallana will leave. So we need a bit more quality and depth.

Also, we were incredibly lucky with injuries to the front 3 last season (until Bobby's late injury ofc). Someone to rotate with those three, or even play behind them ahead of a two sitting midfield team in some games would work. Hence I agree with those who say we need an attackign mid / playmaker type who can play as support for striker or as an attacking mid ahead of a sitting two holding midfielders.

Some people are asking the question on who would start in mid. Well the answer would be that we need to be able to rotate players. For me, the only sure starter there at the moment is Fab. The rest can all rotate, so why not add more quality? What we desperately missed last year is a creative player who can break down stubborn defenses and get a few goals from outside the box.

It's going to be an even tougher season because we will be a target now and in the modern game with so much fixture pile up, we need more quality in depth and ability to rest the top players.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Jun 12, 2019 01:52:33 pm
      Realistically, we have Fab, Hendo, Gini and Keita capable of being regular starters. Ox will be a massive test to see if he can get back to what he was, Milner and Shaq are good options off the bench and I think Lallana will leave. So we need a bit more quality and depth.

Also, we were incredibly lucky with injuries to the front 3 last season (until Bobby's late injury ofc). Someone to rotate with those three, or even play behind them ahead of a two sitting midfield team in some games would work. Hence I agree with those who say we need an attackign mid / playmaker type who can play as support for striker or as an attacking mid ahead of a sitting two holding midfielders.

Some people are asking the question on who would start in mid. Well the answer would be that we need to be able to rotate players. For me, the only sure starter there at the moment is Fab. The rest can all rotate, so why not add more quality? What we desperately missed last year is a creative player who can break down stubborn defenses and get a few goals from outside the box.

It's going to be an even tougher season because we will be a target now and in the modern game with so much fixture pile up, we need more quality in depth and ability to rest the top players.

I appreciate the value of rotation. In my case I asked about who would start IF we signed Fekir. It would leave one of Gini, Hendo or Keita on the bench (understanding a mid in rotation could still start 40 games in the coming season, even with strict rotation).

You make an excellent point about Ox. We all hope for the best for him, but there is a big question nark on him for the new season.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34: Jun 12, 2019 01:58:52 pm
      I have said No we don't but if there was a Young 24 year old Steven Gerrard knocking about then clearly that's different but anyone coming into a side that are European Champions and having collected 97 points in the EPL is going to have to be special
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #35: Jun 12, 2019 10:41:21 pm
      Let do it.

Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #36: Jun 13, 2019 08:55:16 pm
      I think we do, we've got Ox which is basically a new player, I'd like a attacker Klopp doesn't go for centre forwards so a attacking midfielder/winger. Someone else mentioned it but I'd go in with a one off offer £60m for Coutinho on the wage  he left on pretty much, Barca would have to settle the difference. Probably wouldn't happen but if they want rid?
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #37: Jul 28, 2019 07:37:22 am
      Cracking article in the Echo here with regards to our midfield and the various options we now have in the middles of the park. We used to sing we had the best midfield in the world when we had Xabi, Mascherano, Gerrard plus Sissoko and Lucas in reserve. I’m not sure we’re at that level but it’s the best it’s been since those days.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-midfield-tactics-premier-league-16655476

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #38: Jul 28, 2019 09:03:04 am
      Cracking article in the Echo here with regards to our midfield and the various options we now have in the middles of the park. We used to sing we had the best midfield in the world when we had Xabi, Mascherano, Gerrard plus Sissoko and Lucas in reserve. I’m not sure we’re at that level but it’s the best it’s been since those days.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-midfield-tactics-premier-league-16655476

Amazing the so many of them are happy to sit in the bench 😉
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Jul 28, 2019 09:04:09 am

Amazing that so many of them are happy to sit in the bench 😉

Quick Reply