Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

The Title run in -3 down, all games played:

Read 33582 times
      Kopite78
      Re: 3 to go - The Title run in
      Reply #138: Apr 25, 2019 11:42:03 am
      But they drew at Chelsea last month and we've drawn at home unexpectedly this year.

I'm not saying I don't think we'll win, but to write that match off as a "Gimme" is a fool's game.

Wolves have also earned that respect this season.

Ill stick to confidence in my side that are a far better side than wolves

Wolves have done well for a watered down city this season but their away form is poor especially in recent months and our home form is great

If we need a win against wolves at Anfield I'd back our lot 10 out of 10

That's not treating it as a gimme.. it's deserved confidence 

We've not been beaten the last two seasons at Anfield
      We've won 15 of 17 there this season
      We've scored 93 in the last 36 games there letting in 20 in those 36

As I said wolves haven't won away since February and have lost at places far less intimidating than Anfield

So yeah I'm confident
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 290 
      Reply #139: Apr 25, 2019 11:49:48 am
      I'll be honest I am in pessimistic mood about the league at the moment, I'm just so desperate for us to clinch the title and finishing 2nd potentially with so many points is really tough to take if that happens, I think I'm still carrying the hurt from 13/14 and our two European final defeats which could be clouding my judgement . All that said I'm not looking at it if we'd have not drawn here or not drawn there, history shows this is a fantastic points haul which the lads should be commended on. I'm not giving up but I'm not expecting City to drop points but let's not argue we all want this is much as each other...
      We've got a fantastic opportunity to make it 6 European Cups, we can do Barca and this one is in our hands
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #140: Apr 25, 2019 12:03:20 pm
      Wolves are the best team out of the 6 remaining both clubs have to face.  Obvious to anyone who has been watching the Premier League this season. 

Wolves at home is a banana skin and if by some magic we just need to beat them at home last game to win the league I can guarantee that none of you will be saying it is going to be easy.

They beat Spurs away, they drew at Stamford Bridge, drew at Old Trafford, drew at the Emirates, (beat all three of those at home remember) beat Everton away.

We've had two 'win or out' type games at Anfield this season.  I nearly bit my own hand off watching us narrowly get past Napoli and we got beat by Chelsea in the other.  Pressure and also a lack of it have major influences in football.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #141: Apr 25, 2019 12:05:59 pm
      I stopped believing now. Even if City drop points our final game is against Wolves. The points we dropped were vital, according to Klopp's logic I'm a stupid idiot for thinking the Leicester and West Ham results have cost us.

That and sh*t refereeing.

so what if the final game is Wolves, are we not capable of beating Wolves at home??? FFS Wolves are a decent team but are not even close to us in terms of defence, midfield and attack.
      I strongly fancy us to win our remaining games, all 6 of them and clinch the double ;-)
      Kopite78
      Reply #142: Apr 25, 2019 12:09:46 pm
      Wolves are the best team out of the 6 remaining both clubs have to face.  Obvious to anyone who has been watching the Premier League this season. 

Wolves at home is a banana skin and if by some magic we just need to beat them at home last game to win the league I can guarantee that none of you will be saying it is going to be easy.

They beat Spurs away, they drew at Stamford Bridge, drew at Old Trafford, drew at the Emirates, (beat all three of those at home remember) beat Everton away.

We've had two 'win or out' type games at Anfield this season.  I nearly bit my own hand off watching us narrowly get past Napoli and we got beat by Chelsea in the other.  Pressure and also a lack of it have major influences in football.

Of course it does but so does belief and the home record we have built up over the last two seasons is there for a reason

There's a difference between over confidence and belief and I have belief not over confidence

For as good a team they are and as good a season they've had we are better and for as good a season they have had and the results you point out they haven't won away since goodison the first week in Feb

Let's not build them up to be something they aren't and do ourselves down to something we aren't either

We are in the top two best sides in the country with an unenviable home record, a side who has reached the last 4 in Europe for the past two seasons

They're a decent side
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #143: Apr 25, 2019 12:09:52 pm
      They won't, and we won't win, that's the cold, harsh reality of the situation and anyone that doesn't like that should visit another thread. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't go for the highest points tally we can, or that we shouldn't push City all the way in case the laws of reality decide to unraval and somehow one of those teams do take points off them. So Klopp and his team need to sit down in the Summer and examine what went wrong, and decide whether playing for a draw, like he did at Everton, is the right move going forward or whether it's better to go all out for a win and risk a loss.

What went wrong?? yeah 97 points is a real catastrophe!! Bloody hell some of you "fans" are unbelievable. We have had an astonishing season whatever happens in these next 3 games, did we get maximum points, NO but we came very bloody close to it and guess what City the best team like ever ever ever didn't get max points either, in fact they lost 3 more games than we did!

Whatever happens I am immensely proud of this team and their efforts this season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #144: Apr 25, 2019 12:13:27 pm
      But they drew at Chelsea last month and we've drawn at home unexpectedly this year.

I'm not saying I don't think we'll win, but to write that match off as a "Gimme" is a fool's game.

Wolves have also earned that respect this season.

Drawing against a hit and miss Chelsea and beating a very indifferent Arsenal side are not the same as going to Anfield and holding us to a draw. They are a good side but we beat them at their place, fairly comfortably as I recall, and we'll beat them again. Newcastle though can be tricky if they get fired up for the game but in reality we should be winning that one as well.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #145: Apr 25, 2019 12:22:04 pm
      Completely relaxed about it all.

No idea why, but I have zero stress about the rest of the season.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,551 posts | 1545 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #146: Apr 25, 2019 12:23:47 pm
      We could do worse than pick up that Reuben Neves for our midfield next season. We've been linked with him in the past.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #147: Apr 25, 2019 12:27:33 pm
      Life is not perfect and no one is perfect. Nothing is guaranteed in life except the fact that every living thing will die someday. Even your death date is not guaranteed.

If it were, would you bet £100,000 now beg borrow or steal on City winning the league?

One red card one penalty could swing things. But yea, it’s gone. City could play with 5 players and without a keeper and still not drop a single point. Guaranteed ya?

I totally agree with that but to extend your analogy, does a 40 year old in perfect health have a higher chance of dying tomorrow or in 30 years time? Just because someone accepts they might die tomorrow does not mean they've given up on life now does it? It's just a recognition of reality.

What went wrong?? yeah 97 points is a real catastrophe!! Bloody hell some of you "fans" are unbelievable. We have had an astonishing season whatever happens in these next 3 games, did we get maximum points, NO but we came very bloody close to it and guess what City the best team like ever ever ever didn't get max points either, in fact they lost 3 more games than we did!

Whatever happens I am immensely proud of this team and their efforts this season.

I never said it was a catastrophe, I said we can recognise success even in failure. 97 points - assuming we get to 97 points - is a phenomenal achievement, but if both us and City win our final three matchs, it's two points less than was needed to win the league. Besides it's not 97 points, it's 8 points. That's the swing since the turn of the year. Clearly something somewhere went wrong somewhere for us to go from seven points ahead of City to potentially finishing a point behind them. So we examine what went wrong for that to occur, learn from it, ensure it doesn't happen next season and kick on and win the league. Two mutually co-existent points of view to take.

What I would like to know is your thoughts on whether we should avoid draws like the plague and not be afraid of losing a match in an attempt to win it next season? Do you think that's a good thing? Or do you feel draws still have value?
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #148: Apr 25, 2019 12:27:44 pm
      I don't think City will drop anymore points now. Its unfortunate but the fact that we have pushed them all the way and our points tally already, we've had a great season. We've challenged a side that has amazing resources, all world class players and a world class manager. We're still in the champions league so the season isn't over yet. I think it's only Leicester that could be their only challenge but just can't see an upset TBH. There's 3 games to go in the league and we have a potential banana skin of our own playing Wolves. There's still a chance but in my heart of hearts I'm saying I don't think so. One good thing is that when we look behind us we can say we're better than all the pretenders. We have a world class manager and players of our own. We're playing exciting, entertaining football and all the teams behind us are clutching at our shirt tails just trying to catch up. The future looks great, we've got a record points tally I'm a proud Liverpool fan.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #149: Apr 25, 2019 12:28:39 pm
      We could do worse than pick up that Reuben Neves for our midfield next season. We've been linked with him in the past.

He'd be an ok bench warmer, not sure who he'd replace in our current midfield, I'm being serious here I really wouldn't swap our current players.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #150: Apr 25, 2019 12:31:20 pm

Wanted us to sign him last summer, very good player. Whether he’d be a regular starter week in week out I’m not so sure but what a player to have adding depth to the team! Young and only going to get better and better.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Re: Re: Liverpool v Huddersfield Friday 26th April 20:00 Kick Off
      Reply #151: Apr 25, 2019 12:35:23 pm
      That wee f**ker Bernardo Silva hope a Burnley player goes f**king through him.

Guaranteed Burnley won't be pulling any punches, they're a physical, no-nonsense side and City won't be stroking the ball around like a cat playing with a fat mouse as was the case against scum last night.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #152: Apr 25, 2019 12:35:30 pm
      I totally agree with that but to extend your analogy, does a 40 year old in perfect health have a higher chance of dying tomorrow or in 30 years time? Just because someone accepts they might die tomorrow does not mean they've given up on life now does it? It's just a recognition of reality.

I never said it was a catastrophe, I said we can recognise success even in failure. 97 points - assuming we get to 97 points - is a phenomenal achievement, but if both us and City win our final three matchs, it's two points less than was needed to win the league. Besides it's not 97 points, it's 9 points. That's the swing since the turn of the year. Clearly something somewhere went wrong somewhere for us to go from seven points ahead of City to potentially finishing two points behind them. So we examine what went wrong for that to occur, learn from it, ensure it doesn't happen next season and kick on and win the league. Two mutually co-existent points of view to take.

What I would like to know is your thoughts on whether we should avoid draws like the plague and not be afraid of losing a match in an attempt to win it next season? Do you think that's a good thing? Or do you feel draws still have value?

So what went wrong with City for us to pull out a 7 point lead in the first place. BTW in reality its a 5 point swing because you should start from our positions after the game at Emptihad, 5 points is not really a collapse is it?
      The only game that bugs me a bit is Man Utd away where we should have gone for the jugular but it was a really weird game where our whole rhythm and game plan went out the window.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #153: Apr 25, 2019 12:41:57 pm

I never said it was a catastrophe, I said we can recognise success even in failure. 97 points - assuming we get to 97 points - is a phenomenal achievement, but if both us and City win our final three matchs, it's two points less than was needed to win the league. Besides it's not 97 points, it's 8 points. That's the swing since the turn of the year. Clearly something somewhere went wrong somewhere for us to go from seven points ahead of City to potentially finishing a point behind them. So we examine what went wrong for that to occur, learn from it, ensure it doesn't happen next season and kick on and win the league. Two mutually co-existent points of view to take.

To each his own level of optimism and how positive each wants to end this season.

As for negativity, I’ve read lots. Summarised as the following big ones I’ve read around here:

1) Klopp after x number of years no trophies. Should go.
      2) Clyne’s departure killed us.
      3) Jordan at RB killed us.
      4) should have gone 9 points clear

I’d rather view it as a cracking season. Some of the football we played was F***ing boss.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Re: Re: Liverpool v Huddersfield Friday 26th April 20:00 Kick Off
      Reply #154: Apr 25, 2019 12:46:58 pm
      What if our players can’t see city dropping points as well and takes a foot off the pedal? Are they allowed to do that?

Few can see city dropping points anyway. We can’t blame their change in mentality if so.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #155: Apr 25, 2019 12:49:29 pm
      So what went wrong with City for us to pull out a 7 point lead in the first place. BTW in reality its a 5 point swing because you should start from our positions after the game at Emptihad, 5 points is not really a collapse is it?
      The only game that bugs me a bit is Man Utd away where we should have gone for the jugular but it was a really weird game where our whole rhythm and game plan went out the window.

I think they focused too heavily on the domestic cup competitions were as Klopp rightly rested key players and heavily rotated for them. Some of their players have looked nackered at times. I don't think Spurs dumping them out of Europe did us any favours either. Whilst still in their preferred competition, it was always a case of "well we've always got the Champions League".

As for Utd, I don't know if I'd agree necessarily. On the one hand they were in sh*t state and there for the taking, but on the other, a point at Old Trafford is a good result. It's not an easy place to go. But truthfully it could be any of them. One draw turned into a win and we win the title.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #156: Apr 25, 2019 12:56:52 pm
      1) Klopp after x number of years no trophies. Should go.
      2) Clyne’s departure killed us.
      3) Jordan at RB killed us.
      4) should have gone 9 points clear

Those are some of the stupidest things I've read. Please do not insult me by suggesting I engage in anything like that. I'm dealing in only facts, not ideology.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #157: Apr 25, 2019 01:12:06 pm

I don't think wolves will pose much problems. Good team but not as good as us. Harder match be newcastle just two rest after nou camp then travel to Newcastle. Three games in 6days. Problem is city have so much firepower from midfield up can't see Burnley or Leicester. Pep has the fans pumped up. Of course its been a brilliant season everyone knows that it's just a massive feeling of disappointment if getting 97 points and miss out by a fkn miserly point. After all our near misses over last few years. Anyway only thing is even though don't think leicester or Burnley are strong enough in all tight pl races there's a twist and turn when you least expect it so let's hope.
      Kopite78
      Reply #158: Apr 25, 2019 01:16:08 pm
      Those are some of the stupidest things I've read. Please do not insult me by suggesting I engage in anything like that. I'm dealing in only facts, not ideology.

You're still dealing in your own narrative though

There's some people Who, for whatever reason, whether that be self protection, the need to lash out or whatever... Who are setting a narrative to look for blame and reasons when the reality is that over a 38 game season we are witnessing two unbelievably consistent sides who are arguably putting up the best title race in memory

Unfortunately and potentially  heart breakingly there has to be a runner up

If that's us then personally I'm not going to delve back and look for a stick to beat them with
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #159: Apr 25, 2019 01:18:03 pm
      Before these Arabs were allowed to come in and just spend what they like blowing everyone out of the water 97 points would have walked every PL every year. Shouldn't be allowed to come in just spend billions. The broken rules about spending and should been docked a dozen points. That would wipe the smile of the baldy one.
      ruthcity

• 6,938 posts | 1480 
      Reply #160: Apr 25, 2019 01:19:58 pm

I didn’t even say you said those. Yea, get more upset with me. Perhaps for something else? ;D  :aaliverpool2xt1: To each his own.

Why would I want to insult a fellow red? Unless you’re not? I thought we all have some class? Or crass?

Quick Reply