Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The Title run in -3 down, all games played:

Read 32487 times
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Re: 3 to go - The Title run in
      Reply #92: Apr 25, 2019 07:57:18 am
      I only see one last chance and that's Sunday (assuming we win Friday which I'm sure we will) for City to drop points.

I don't see them at home dropping any to Leicester or away to Brighton.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #93: Apr 25, 2019 08:00:00 am
      How the hell did de gea let in such soft goals. That's what's so annoying. Also when I seen Fred name on team sheet I lost all hope. Give ball away umpteen times and jogging not even running to try and get back at sterling for second goal. At least Burnley limited as they are will put effort in.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #94: Apr 25, 2019 08:30:31 am
      I think we have the harder run in than city. Newcastle away only two days rest after the nou camp and wolves in final day are a very good team going for europa league. But we gotta just keep going. We had so many seasons where we have narrowly missed out on titles despite scoring the most goals in Rodgers and benitez eras. So many cup final heartbreaking defeats that if there is any justice this team wins at least one trophy this season. Id happily take champions league now. That be tough too cos I see barca resting messi for league games we have to play our best 11 every game and 3games in six days coming up.

You have got to be kidding me now, you think we have the harder run-in, Huddersfield, one of the worst teams in the premier league era at home, a Newcastle team with their main striker out of action and a manager who loves us and finally a Wolves team who may be going for Europa league but who we beat fairly easily away from home and who we are now playing at Anfield, our fortress this season.
      Compare that to Burnley away, always a horrible fixture and Burnley are in good form at the moment, Leicester where the team is very quick, dangerous and where the manager will be very motivated, also a team that plays very well away form home and beat Citeh earlier in the season and finally Brighton a team desperate for survival who kept Spurs out for 88 minutes in a very good defensive display.

I can guarantee you that Pep would bite our hand off if we offered him to swap the fixtures.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #95: Apr 25, 2019 08:34:33 am
      I’m pretty deflated after this morning this season with all its excitement, twists and turns is starting to take an emotional toil.

Desperate for us to win something at season end!

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #96: Apr 25, 2019 08:36:10 am
      I only see one last chance and that's Sunday (assuming we win Friday which I'm sure we will) for City to drop points.

I don't see them at home dropping any to Leicester or away to Brighton.

Why do you not see them losing to a team, Leicester, who they lost to earlier in the season, who have loads of pace to attack that City defence, are good on the counter with a manager who will be every bit as desperate for a win as we will be.
      Brighton is a long shot but they kept a good attacking side, Spurs out for 88 minutes and that was away from home.

I will not give up until it is mathematically impossible, but even if we do get pipped to the post I will reflect on an absolutely fantastic season and look forward to the next one where we will be even better, even more hungry, with Ox back, Keita and Fabinho fully integrated from the start etc and hopefully Citeh having a bit of a dip in form.
      LMW
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 364 posts | 112 
      Reply #97: Apr 25, 2019 08:42:19 am
      If you look at the stats, City’s form against the top 6 is astonishing. I always had a little bit of hope that Spurs or United would take something from them but I was thinking it would likely be Palace or Burnley away that were the tricky ones.

City have dropped points against 2 top 6 teams, but have dropped points  against 4 of the lower teams.

Draws:
      Liverpool
      Wolves

Losses:
      Chelsea
      Newcastle
      Palace
      Leicester

The general consensus from the media and a lot of fans would be that City will walk this from now. But based on their previous this year, the Palace, Burnley and Leicester games were much more likely to trip City up than games against the top 6.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #98: Apr 25, 2019 08:54:21 am
      You have got to be kidding me now, you think we have the harder run-in, Huddersfield, one of the worst teams in the premier league era at home, a Newcastle team with their main striker out of action and a manager who loves us and finally a Wolves team who may be going for Europa league but who we beat fairly easily away from home and who we are now playing at Anfield, our fortress this season.
      Compare that to Burnley away, always a horrible fixture and Burnley are in good form at the moment, Leicester where the team is very quick, dangerous and where the manager will be very motivated, also a team that plays very well away form home and beat Citeh earlier in the season and finally Brighton a team desperate for survival who kept Spurs out for 88 minutes in a very good defensive display.

I can guarantee you that Pep would bite our hand off if we offered him to swap the fixtures.
      Three games in six days two CL with Newcastle in between. Not easy. Newcastle forwards perez richie and rondom are fit. Wolves are good and fighting for Europe. We can win both but won't be easy. Can't see Burnley stopping city or Leicester at home with the Eithad full. De bryne back next week too. Can't see it but it's been a wonderful season anyway. Hoping for a miracle in league you just never no but unlikely. CL if we get past barca I think we win it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #99: Apr 25, 2019 09:00:35 am
      I will not give up until it is mathematically impossible

Why to so many equate thinking City won't drop anymore points to giving up?

I just don't get it. I look at their fixtures and don't think they will drop points but doesn't mean I have 'given up'.

We play our games and win them and hope someone is good enough to take a point from them. On current form I find it hard to see but as someone above said they have dropped more points to the lower sides than the top 6 so we just never know.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #100: Apr 25, 2019 09:15:37 am
      I hope there a transfer ban on city if the investigation finds they flouted financial fair play rules seen as there not guna deduct them points. City could go out and spend another billion in the summer if they were allowed so there needs to be a regulation where they can keep within the rules. Give them a transfer ban for five seasons 😂. Unfair advantage trying compete with a team where there just no bottom to the money pit
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #101: Apr 25, 2019 09:16:21 am
      At least win our last three games, take Citeh until the end of the season to be confirmed champions. At least we are in the Champions league semi finals.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #102: Apr 25, 2019 09:17:21 am
      Why to so many equate thinking City won't drop anymore points to giving up?

I just don't get it. I look at their fixtures and don't think they will drop points but doesn't mean I have 'given up'.

We play our games and win them and hope someone is good enough to take a point from them. On current form I find it hard to see but as someone above said they have dropped more points to the lower sides than the top 6 so we just never know.

erm "give up" hope of winning, ie if you do not think that City will drop points then you will have given up hope of us winning.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #103: Apr 25, 2019 09:20:28 am
      Leicester played well tho. Utd were on their knees. They’re pathetic. And we didn’t really create a thing. Idk. Thought of us getting 97 points and coming 2nd is f**king horrid.
      Agree with that; Leicester played well against us both matches and we were fortunate to beat them at their place. 

Utd were injury-ravaged & there for the taking that, day before the 3 first half injuries.

We weren't at the races at all that day, unfortunately.  Got to expect a few bad days over the course of a 10 month season though and we haven't had too many.

Chances of City slipping up are running out now, but still a glimmer of hope between Burnley & Leicester.  We play ahead of them the next 2 matches so let's just do what we do & keep applying the pressure.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #104: Apr 25, 2019 09:21:08 am
      Is it a good time to mention that I think we're both still going to drop points?  I just can't picture it finishing up 98 pts v 97 pts.

6 highly motivated managers and groups of players to face City and Liverpool who will want their names in lights, on the TV bulletins and on the back pages.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #105: Apr 25, 2019 09:22:35 am
      A few years ago we were competing in europa leagues. Now with amonth of season to go were competing for the title and in semis of Champions league. We would been delighted with that. It just crazy to think we could finish with 97 points and one loss and not win league. Before the Arabs pumped billions into man city to give them an unfair advantage that points total would been enough to win a Premier league most seasons by about 15 points.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #106: Apr 25, 2019 09:32:31 am
      We will probably finish the season losing only 1 game, with at least 93 points (which beats Utd's biggest ever points tally of 92!) and will probably finish on 97 points.

That's a TREMENDOUS achievement when you consider we haven't spent half the money City has.

I also genuinely think we will be better placed to win it next season - and for once that isn't a cliche.

The way I see it, there is no way City will win it three times in a row. They will also lose Fernandinho who is their most important player and whilst they'll replace him, they won't replace him like for like (he's been great for them this season and will be a miss). Sure City will rebuild but so will we, and we have more room for improvement. They'll fine tune but we all know we can improve by bringing in a genuine fourth attacker to challenge our front 3. We will strengthen midfield too (Milly isn't getting any younger). And we all know we need cover at CB (I hear Lovren is off to Leicester City).

Chelsea can't buy players, Arsenal and Utd are nowhere, and Spurs will do a Spurs; they are good but they are not Liverpool FC good.

Also, our players will have the priceless experience of being in a genuine title race.

I'm also not giving up the title yet either.

Oh, and let's stuff Barca and win a 6th ECL!

Jürgen Klopp. Working wonders since October 2015.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #107: Apr 25, 2019 09:35:49 am
      Is it a good time to mention that I think we're both still going to drop points?  I just can't picture it finishing up 98 pts v 97 pts.

6 highly motivated managers and groups of players to face City and Liverpool who will want their names in lights, on the TV bulletins and on the back pages.

As good a time as any, but I see it as more likely City drop points than us, I wonder if they might get a bit complacent now that the "tricky" derby match is out of the way.
      The only tricky game for us is Newcastle away, they are playing well at the moment but they are safe and have nothing to play for as opposed to us, it dos however come in between the Barca matches which is not ideal but our team and squad seem relatively fresh at the moment so we should be able to rotate a bit without dropping the quality. Its certainly very good that we have Joe back now and a full midfield to choose from.
      Kopite78
      Re: Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #108: Apr 25, 2019 09:36:06 am
      We will probably finish the season losing only 1 game, with at least 93 points (which beats Utd's biggest ever points tally of 92!) and will probably finish on 97 points.

That's a TREMENDOUS achievement when you consider we haven't spent half the money City has.

I also genuinely think we will be better placed to win it next season - and for once that isn't a cliche.

The way I see it, there is no way City will win it three times in a row. They will also lose Fernandinho who is their most important player and whilst they'll replace him, they won't replace him like for like (he's been great for them this season and will be a miss). Sure City will rebuild but so will we, and we have more room for improvement. They'll fine tune but we all know we can improve by bringing in a genuine fourth attacker to challenge our front 3. We will strengthen midfield too (Milly isn't getting any younger). And we all know we need cover at CB (I hear Lovren is off to Leicester City).

Chelsea can't buy players, Arsenal and Utd are nowhere, and Spurs will do a Spurs; they are good but they are not Liverpool FC good.

Also, our players will have the priceless experience of being in a genuine title race.

I'm also not giving up the title yet either.

Oh, and let's stuff Barca and win a 6th ECL!

Jürgen Klopp. Working wonders since October 2015.

But didn't you say last night you thought we'd fall away next season?

I actually 100% agree with this by the way..
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Re: We are top of the league!
      Reply #109: Apr 25, 2019 09:55:09 am
      But didn't you say last night you thought we'd fall away next season?
      I can't recall saying that.

What I did say was I worried for the mentality of the players and how it might affect them. But that was right after City had just beaten Utd. I no longer think that'll be an issue though. Yes, they'll feel gutted if and when they lose the race to first place. But after a period of time, they'll come back rejuvenated.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger" and all that.

EDIT: I also apologise for being snarky last night. Emotions and all that.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,540 posts | 1774 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #110: Apr 25, 2019 09:59:50 am
      We have a chance still, just need to keep winning our games.

City are ropey at the back, theres still a chance for them to drop points.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #111: Apr 25, 2019 10:01:13 am
      I can't recall saying that.

What I did say was I worried for the mentality of the players and how it might affect them. But that was right after City had just beaten Utd. I no longer think that'll be an issue though. Yes, they'll feel gutted if and when they lose the race to first place. But after a period of time, they'll come back rejuvenated.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger" and all that.

EDIT: I also apologise for being snarky last night. Emotions and all that.

I think we will be even better next season, although to be honest there is not that much room for improvement! This team has a great mentality and confidence, just look at us in the CL this season, through to another semi, with a good chance of making the final again.

Next season we will start with a fully integrated Keita and Fabinho, plus Ox. We will hopefully have a few additions in defence to give some extra cover and rotation and most importantly another attacker to freshen things up off the bench and also to rotate in. That has been the key difference between ourselves and City their strength in depth and in particular strength in attacking options.

That having been said I still think we'll win this season, come on Burnley, Leicester and Brighton!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #112: Apr 25, 2019 10:02:55 am
      We have a chance still, just need to keep winning our games.

City are ropey at the back, theres still a chance for them to drop points.

I agree, that's what frustrated last night, you saw a few times Rashford and Lingard causing them issues at the back but no one from midfield helping out or joining the attack, imagine if we could have loaned them Keita, Gini and Hendo for the night!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #113: Apr 25, 2019 10:03:09 am
      As good a time as any, but I see it as more likely City drop points than us, I wonder if they might get a bit complacent now that the "tricky" derby match is out of the way.

Agree that they're more likely to drop points than us. Fixture pile up will have had some impact, and away to Burnley is a very tricky game especially coming off the back off their Chelsea performance and City's fixture pile up.

Doubt they'll get complacent though mate, as much as I hate that the club was built on petro-gazillions with low class ME aristocracy, I've rarely seen any City player get complacent. There's too much quality competition and Pep is ruthless at dropping those who show a glimpse of complacency.

The other possibility is Leicester. BR would be very keen to be taken seriously at the big stage and they do have it in their locker to turn up for a big game occasionally.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #114: Apr 25, 2019 10:08:12 am
      erm "give up" hope of winning, ie if you do not think that City will drop points then you will have given up hope of us winning.

I haven't given up 'hope' of winning though.

I still hope we win the league.

Quick Reply