Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Barcelona v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final Wed 1st May 20:00KO

Read 15447 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Barcelona v Liverpool Champions League Semi-Final Weds 1st May 20:00KO
      Reply #23: Apr 27, 2019 03:14:53 pm
      Kinda what I was thinking Shabs but I just can’t see him throwing Ox in with so little football.

On that basis I reckon big Divvy gets the nod.

I reckon our defensive shape is a 5 man midfield, with Salah and Mane breaking, and taking turns up top.
      Mane left, Henderson right, Fabinho, Keita and Wijnaldum central.
      Mane to help Robertson against Messi, and also to take advantage of his lacklustre defending.
      Packing the middle, cutting off their passing lanes, and denying them space will be crucial to us I reckon.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #24: Apr 27, 2019 03:26:17 pm
      I reckon our defensive shape is a 5 man midfield, with Salah and Mane breaking, and taking turns up top.
      Mane left, Henderson right, Fabinho, Keita and Wijnaldum central.
      Mane to help Robertson against Messi, and also to take advantage of his lacklustre defending.
      Packing the middle, cutting off their passing lanes, and denying them space will be crucial to us I reckon.

Could be right Swab. I also think there’s a chance we’ll see Milner to help out one of the fullbacks.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25: Apr 27, 2019 03:37:18 pm
      Could be right Swab. I also think there’s a chance we’ll see Milner to help out one of the fullbacks.

Was thinking the same, and it's probably more likely to happen than the team I thought about, I just like Keita's ability to run the ball out, and commit opposition defenders.
      If I was forced to make a choice based on what I think will happen rather than what I would like to happen, then Milners experience would push him ahead of Keita I reckon.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 286 posts | 28 
      Reply #26: Apr 27, 2019 04:49:20 pm
      I also think there’s a chance we’ll see Milner to help out one of the fullbacks.
      Interesting thought about Milner.

Rafa gave right-footed Arbeloa his first start at left-back against Barca in the Nou Camp 12 years ago. He reckoned a right-footer was best suited to curbing Messi's moves inside from wide on the right.

Barca dominated for long spells but we came from behind to win 2-1. Riise scored the winner, having been pushed up to play on the left side of midfield.

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #27: Apr 27, 2019 05:49:09 pm
      This is only if Firmino does not play and while I think Klopp will probably just go with a like for like switch with Origi coming in, I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of this:

A few things to keep in mind when playing Barcelona:
      - Messi cutting in, obviously
      - One that many may forget: Jordi Alba on that left-hand side
      - Coutinho cutting in
      - Their high line

As Swab said, we need to pack the middle. Keita has the pace over short distances to help out with Messi cutting in. Wijnaldum is probably one of our most intelligent players tactically. He also drops back to defend and help out Robertson. Might come as a surprise to many, but he has played there for us before. He could also switch with Keita, one of them can move to the #10 if needed. A lot of options to switch it around with that midfield. Mane on the right to take advantage of Alba's position that leaves that right-hand side wide open to attack. Henderson to help Trent out with covering that right halfspace where Coutinho/Dembele will operate.

That team also has plenty of pace on the break and allows us to break forward with numbers, including Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, ... Who are all very good on the break. Also plenty of players on the pitch able to slow down the game and keep possession.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #28: Apr 27, 2019 06:04:54 pm
      This is only if Firmino does not play and while I think Klopp will probably just go with a like for like switch with Origi coming in, I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of this:

A few things to keep in mind when playing Barcelona:
      - Messi cutting in, obviously
      - One that many may forget: Jordi Alba on that left-hand side
      - Coutinho cutting in
      - Their high line

As Swab said, we need to pack the middle. Keita has the pace over short distances to help out with Messi cutting in. Wijnaldum is probably one of our most intelligent players tactically. He also drops back to defend and help out Robertson. Might come as a surprise to many, but he has played there for us before. He could also switch with Keita, one of them can move to the #10 if needed. A lot of options to switch it around with that midfield. Mane on the right to take advantage of Alba's position that leaves that right-hand side wide open to attack. Henderson to help Trent out with covering that right halfspace where Coutinho/Dembele will operate.

That team also has plenty of pace on the break and allows us to break forward with numbers, including Henderson, Wijnaldum, Keita, ... Who are all very good on the break. Also plenty of players on the pitch able to slow down the game and keep possession.

I see our left as both a threat (from Messi) but also as an opportunity, which is why I'd have Mane on that side; his defensive work has really come on this season, and he's got the vision, pace and skill to take advantage on that side.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29: Apr 27, 2019 06:27:06 pm
      I see our left as both a threat (from Messi) but also as an opportunity, which is why I'd have Mane on that side; his defensive work has really come on this season, and he's got the vision, pace and skill to take advantage on that side.

The best form of defence is attack, we need 3 proper attackers on the pitch so its between Shaq and Origi and I'd go with Shaq on the right, Mo in the middle and Mane on the left but have them interchange quite a lot.
      barney73
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 677 posts | 99 
      Reply #30: Apr 27, 2019 06:30:27 pm
      Don't rate origi or sturridge. Hopefully Bob be fit. Is lallana ever guna play again this season. Small minor muscle problem a month ago and he still not fit. So injury prone that guy
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #31: Apr 27, 2019 06:52:08 pm
      Messi and busquets rested tonight
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #32: Apr 27, 2019 08:43:38 pm
      If Bobby's not fit I think he'll play Mo up front with Milner wide on the right. Perfectly ok, and gives us a bit more protection in front of Trent, who's still a bit on and off defensively. So -

Alisson

Trent   Matip   VVD     Robbo

Hendo   Fab    Gini

Milner        Mo           Sadio
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #33: Apr 28, 2019 12:16:31 am
      Origi on the left, Mané through the middle, Mo on right.

This is plan B.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #34: Apr 28, 2019 01:28:03 am
      Bobby wouldn't miss this game!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #35: Apr 28, 2019 02:05:13 am
      Can one of the usual Suspects please start a Match thread for the Barca game? Can't believe we don't have one yet!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #36: Apr 28, 2019 06:24:01 am
      I would play like this:
      NB: Team no longer available
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #37: Apr 28, 2019 07:20:18 am
      I would play like this:

This is exactly why we were after Fekir.. for that false 9 role when our outside forwards pull defenders wide. Naby playing there, I'm not sure. But would use the same personnel if Bobby cant play. As much as I would love to play Shaq as the right forward, Mo's pace against Lenglet-Alba could be crucial to open up spaces.

Naby-Sadio-Mo
      Gini-Fab-Hendo

We did a brilliant job of cutting supply to Lewa at Munich and I think that's exactly what we'll try to do on Wednesday. Messi is an alien and can conjure spells throughout but we need to ensure he finds it difficult to receive the ball.
      storophanthus
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 308 posts | 16 
      Reply #38: Apr 28, 2019 07:46:20 am
      Can we play Lallana ? or is he injured again?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Apr 28, 2019 07:59:01 am
      Can we play Lallana ? or is he injured again?

Why would we play him even if he was match fit? I'd much rather play Origi, Shaq or Keita.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #40: Apr 28, 2019 08:00:10 am
      I would play like this:

My thought exactly mate.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 43 
      Reply #41: Apr 28, 2019 08:30:21 am
      Massive game on Wednesday.

Fabinho will be back after missing the Huddersfield game with concussion, but will Firmino, who has a ‘minor muscle issue’?

Barcelona won the league after their 1-0 victory over Levante on Saturday, Messi scoring the goal.

So they have full focus on the Champions League now.

If Firmino is fit:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Matip
      Van Dijk
      Robertson

Henderson (c)
      Fabinho
      Keita

Salah
      Firmino
      Mane

Subs:

Mignolet; Lovren, Gomez; Wijnaldum, Milner; Shaqiri; Origi.

If Firmino isn’t fit:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Matip
      Van Dijk
      Robertson

Henderson (c)
      Fabinho
      Wijnaldum

Salah
      Mane
      Keita

Subs:

Mignolet; Lovren, Gomez; Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri; Origi.

Hard to see how this one is gonna go, but nothing seems to phase this team, I’m gonna go for a 1-1 draw with Mane grabbing our goal.

clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #42: Apr 28, 2019 08:38:39 am
      Massive game on Wednesday.

Fabinho will be back after missing the Huddersfield game with concussion, but will Firmino, who has a ‘minor muscle issue’?

Barcelona won the league after their 1-0 victory over Levante on Saturday, Messi scoring the goal.

So they have full focus on the Champions League now.

If Firmino is fit:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Matip
      Van Dijk
      Robertson

Henderson (c)
      Fabinho
      Keita

Salah
      Firmino
      Mane

Subs:

Mignolet; Lovren, Gomez; Wijnaldum, Milner; Shaqiri; Origi.

If Firmino isn’t fit:

Alisson

Alexander-Arnold
      Matip
      Van Dijk
      Robertson

Henderson (c)
      Fabinho
      Wijnaldum

Salah
      Mane
      Keita

Subs:

Mignolet; Lovren, Gomez; Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaqiri; Origi.

Hard to see how this one is gonna go, but nothing seems to phase this team, I’m gonna go for a 1-1 draw with Mane grabbing our goal.

As I said in another thread, that is the way I would play too but Keita after Mane and Salah.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #43: Apr 28, 2019 09:08:24 am
      Can't wait to see them lining up for the CL tune, Messi, Cou, Suarez on one side, Mane, Salah, VVD et al on the other :)

Alisson
      TAA Matip VVD Robbo
         Keita Fab Hendo
      Salah Mane Bob/Origi

Best attacker/player in the world vs best defender.
      One team won their title, the other in the balance.
      Some old LFC players against their former side.
      Deffo the glamour tie.  Not nervous, just looking forward to a great 2 legs...
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,093 posts | 1632 
      Reply #44: Apr 28, 2019 09:27:30 am
      I think Milner will play away from home and although it wont happen Gomez at RB . Trent has been struggling  lately certainly  in his own half and with Alba bombing down that side Gomez a better defender
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #45: Apr 28, 2019 09:32:00 am
      I think Milner will play away from home and although it wont happen Gomez at RB . Trent has been struggling  lately certainly  in his own half and with Alba bombing down that side Gomez a better defender

Yes I'm also a bit nervous about Trent, he's not been at his best lately.

I fancy us to get at least one goal in this game, just depends on how well our defence copes with their attack and vice versa.

Quick Reply